NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-18-2013, 11:38 PM
Rob

Default Opinions on baseball cabinet ID's....

Here are 2 cabinets I recently received. The Boston player is blank backed with the handwritten inscription.." C. Webster Jeffery, artist Boston". I was thinking maybe Billy Nash, Tom O'Rourke or John Morrill.

The Geo. Rich Cabinet with the Chicago player, I can't place. Not Silver Flint or Mike Kelly, I don't think. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 07-18-2013, 11:44 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

Can you post larger scans of just their heads?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:59 PM
Rob

Default Larger pics

Lance, and all, here are larger pics. Can zoom in more tomorrow if need be.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:55 AM
GaryPassamonte

I believe the Boston player is Tommy Bond. That is a great find.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:33 AM
Barry Sloate

Unquestionably Tommy Bond, and a super pickup. I've seen other Boston players from that series, and I believe they were issued late 1870's. I love it.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
Rob

Default Tommy Bond

Thank y'all for the Tommy Bond ID on the Boston card. That is great news. I had not heard of him before, but I see now that he was a great pitcher in the late 1870's, a pitching triple crown winner with three 40 win seasons in a row.

Any thoughts on the Chicago player, or maybe on the time frame of the uniform style? Thanks
Old 07-19-2013, 02:00 PM
Barry Sloate

Chicago is circa 1888-90. Don't recognize the player.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:41 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

Agree with the others that the Boston player is a well known image of Tommy Bond. Congrats on, what in my opinion, is a major score.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:44 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

There is good bio of him in SABR's Nineteenth Century Stars book.
Old 07-19-2013, 02:55 PM
NewEnglandBaseBallist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Bond_(baseball)
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 AM
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewEnglandBaseBallist View Post
There is good bio of him in SABR's Nineteenth Century Stars book.
Thanks, I will have to get a copy of that SABR book.

Here is a link to a baseball discussion site that debates the pros and cons of Bond's possible HOF status....

http://www.baseball-fever.com/showth...839-Tommy-Bond

An update on the Chicago card..........

The photographer is Geo. F. Riel of Chicago. I found some Chicago directory listing archive sites that place Riel at this Chicago street address from 1890-1900 and/or 1891-1900. The sites indicate that Riel was active as early as 1880, but no addresses are known from 1880-1889.

I have looked through rosters of the Chicago White Stockings/Colts/Orphans from 1884-1901 and have not been able to identify this player. There were a few obscure players that I could not find an image of, so it is possible that this is not a well known player.

However, my ID skills are not the best, and I may have overlooked an obvious photo match for this player. Some matches I thought were possibly close were, Ossie France, Dad Lytle, Pat Luby, and Silver Flint.

Last edited by RCMcKenzie; 07-20-2013 at 10:36 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 07-20-2013, 04:03 PM
Mark

I agree with Barry on the dating. I think your photo is prior to the late 1890's when the team seems to have dropped the "CHICAGO" lettering in the few team photos I have seen from that period.

It is definitely not Silver Flint nor is it Pat Luby. I don't think it's a well-known player. As for Lytle and France, given the existing images I have, it's hard to say. Keep in mind that there are a number of candidates for whom there is as yet no known (to SABR) image for comparison.

Also - he doesn't match anyone on the 1890 Chicago Player's League roster (I don't know what their uniforms looked like).

Great find on the Bond photo.
Old 07-21-2013, 11:52 AM
Rob

Thanks for the help, Mark and all. If I ever turn anything up on the Chicago card I will let y'all know.