NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2009, 05:52 PM

Default If anyone knows who bought this fake

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Please save them before they pay for it!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:23 PM
Rick McQuillan

Default Cy Young

His T206 Cy Young looks suspicious too.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Craig Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by buymycards View Post
His T206 Cy Young looks suspicious too.

Rick
The Old Mill back has a green tint to the lettering.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:30 PM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Dan,
How did you identify it as a fake? I admit I don't have the eye to pick up this stuff just yet.

r/
Frank
Old 09-23-2009, 07:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by T's please View Post
Dan,
How did you identify it as a fake? I admit I don't have the eye to pick up this stuff just yet.

r/
Frank
Here you go, Frank:

http://net54baseball.com/forum/conte...tingfakes.html
Old 09-23-2009, 07:36 PM

Default Its amazing...

how POORLY people treat their reprints.
Old 09-23-2009, 07:37 PM

Default that sucks

There has to be better prevention on ebay from this stuff.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:38 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Okay,
What a nice fellow., He'll be happy with $600-800 for the Ruth rookie with autograph. His Jeter rookie however, is available for $200 bin.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:33 PM

eBay is a jungle out there for the uninformed, especially when it comes to specialty sections like pre-war cards. I think we sometimes presume people bidding on prewar cards read Net54 or have more than a passing knowledge of the cards but the sad truth is a lot of bidders are generally clueless, even on high price cards.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:25 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Not that I don't have sympathy for an unsuspecting buyer....but who in their right mind pays hundreds or thousands of dollars for collectibles without a little bit of knowledge?

Jeff
Old 09-24-2009, 05:27 AM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Not that I don't have sympathy for an unsuspecting buyer....but who in their right mind pays hundreds or thousands of dollars for collectibles without a little bit of knowledge?

Jeff
Maybe it's a case of 'just enough knowledge to be dangerous'.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:31 AM
Howard Chernick

I've been selling for about 10 years on eBay and have sold about 65,000 cards. It has also happend to me in which I tried to sell a card which turned out to be fake. I didn't know until someone contacted me. Whenever someone suspects that i might have a fake, I immediately pull it from ebay. I then go post the scan of the card on Net54 and let the experts here decide whether its a fake or not.

I think that if any of the experts see an obvious fake on eBay, they should contact the seller before the auction ends. I know that if someone contacted me to let me know I had a fake up there I would be grateful for their advice. I can't speak for all sellers.

We are just human and sometimes we make mistakes.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 09-24-2009, 06:02 AM
T!M R10rd@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post

Jeff

People with more money than brains, and there certainly are plenty of them.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:40 AM

I can't beleive the greediness of forgers. The only thing that eclipses the shoddiness of the reprint is that disgusting "autograph". I didn't realize that Stevie Wonder was a forger!
Old 09-24-2009, 06:57 AM
Frank Wakefield

I'm amazed.... I sit here, finding myself in agreement with all of the above posts.

I've bought from Howard before on eBay... and he seems to have a good business model. I add that sometimes I've emailed a seller about how what he's selling isn't what he claims, and it seems about half the time they'll pull the auction, usually saying thanks, with varying degrees of sincerity. And when they deny that the card they're selling is a fake or reprint, about half the time I'll send messages to the top 2 or 3 bidders in an effort to enlighten them before the auction ends.

I think sometimes the winner is a shill, and I'm wasting my time on it all.

Good eye, Dan!!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:02 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
People with more money than brains, and there certainly are plenty of them.
If they have extra money that they want to throw away, I'd be more than happy to give them my mailing address where they can send the checks.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default reporting fakes

I only send emails about fakes/reprints that I am 100% sure of. Of the emails I send to those sellers I would estimate about 50% are pissed off at me and just say I don't know what I am talking about and to mind my own business. The other 50% are grateful and ask how I know. Many times I feel it's not worth trying to save everyone.....Ebay has to have some responsibility and, even though they made some rules a while back, they don't have (or want to pay for?) the manpower to enforce them.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Hey Dan, just to throw this into the pot, since this thread refers to ebay fruad and I've been tracking this particular cat just for the fun of it. Here is profitable eBay scamming at its best. I present you ebayer "ben.cat". I have posted about his PSA 1952 Mantle reprint cards in the past and to give him his props, he always states that his Mantle cards are reprints. It is just the PSA holders that always irk me (and I'm an SGC guy but I prefer them raw...).

Here is his modus operandi... He purchases '52 Mantle reprints whenever he is short on cash...

Here is one example I found (glance at the 6th feedback from the top)
http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAP...edbackAsSeller

here is another example...http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=220468910358

This cat then then proceeds to sell the '52 Mantle reprints in PSA holders. Two examples...

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120459451299

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-MICKE...mZ120471503569

Lovely Day...
Old 09-24-2009, 06:24 PM
Kevin S.

On the PSA 52 Mantles, if you look close enough these are real flips that have been erased. You can see the wipe marks where the undercoating has been removed as well...the middle unprinted area has not been touched (it's whiter). From what I can tell the bar code is an original and only the previous print has been removed then reprinted.

He is close but the font is off. It's a standard font that resembles a special font used by PSA (and others). Look at the open ended "5's" and the narrow "0" in the serial number and compare them to a real PSA flip and you can see.

With this font the "#" sign typically has less of a slant than an original but it's tough to see on this one without being able to cut, paste and compare. There are other ways to tell but in this case the numbers "5" and "0" is what to look for.

This guy has the potential to be dangerous.

Here is a picture of some flips I made a few years ago to use as an educational tool showing when this particular wrong font is used. It's a perfect example for this scenario. Both are real flips, just one has been erased and remade...the other is original. Now imagine if the real font was used.

This is not digitally made or enhanced the fake is in-hand. When first made, out of everyone I showed (both graders and advanced collectors), only Mark Anderson at Beckett nailed it....perfectly.

Kevin Saucier

Last edited by onlychild; 09-24-2009 at 06:50 PM. Reason: to include a picture of a home-made flip
Old 09-24-2009, 06:45 PM
Doug C.

I have emailed PSA with links to the auctions every time this guy has listed one of these Mantles and all I get is the same canned response that they will look into it and work with ebay if necessary. The guy is clearly stating they are reprints, but it's still shady. Considering the prices these have sold for, either the buyers think the seller is stupid and they are real or they have future plans of trying to pass them off as legit.

Last edited by Doug; 09-24-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:05 PM

Guys, I have been shutting down fraud auctions in the pre-1930 and 1930-39 categories for about a year now. I take very serious pride in my efforts and was real happy with the legitimacy of the categories before the recent abortion change!

I have written John Gonzalas but with no response.

Someone got burned on this Ruth and there are a ton of doctored fakes popping up in this catch all baseball card category.

The REPORT ITEM link in this category NO LONGER WORKS!!!!!

How EBAY can allow this to slip after a year of clean up just makes me sick to my stomach!! All of the FREE hours I have donated policing the categories and for what???

I tell you, I am SICK over this ABORTION they have created!
Old 09-24-2009, 07:34 PM
Banned

Interesting post, Kevin.

I wonder how many cards with fake flips on the holders have been slipped into folks' collections? Or even board members' collections?
Old 09-24-2009, 07:47 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by danmckee View Post
The REPORT ITEM link in this category NO LONGER WORKS!!!!!

How EBAY can allow this to slip after a year of clean up just makes me sick to my stomach!! All of the FREE hours I have donated policing the categories and for what???

I tell you, I am SICK over this ABORTION they have created!
Dan - let me officially extend to you an invitation to server the same function on the new auction site Leon & I are working on. We'll double your salary
Old 09-24-2009, 08:01 PM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Dan - let me officially extend to you an invitation to server the same function on the new auction site Leon & I are working on. We'll double your salary

Matt, just a little observation before you start throwing Luckey's money around (since I want this new auction site to thrive). Dan's position at eBay no longer exist, he is currently unemployed...........he will easily take "half" his old salary.

Lovely Day...
Old 09-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlychild View Post
On the PSA 52 Mantles, if you look close enough these are real flips that have been erased. You can see the wipe marks where the undercoating has been removed as well...the middle unprinted area has not been touched (it's whiter). From what I can tell the bar code is an original and only the previous print has been removed then reprinted.

He is close but the font is off. It's a standard font that resembles a special font used by PSA (and others). Look at the open ended "5's" and the narrow "0" in the serial number and compare them to a real PSA flip and you can see.

With this font the "#" sign typically has less of a slant than an original but it's tough to see on this one without being able to cut, paste and compare. There are other ways to tell but in this case the numbers "5" and "0" is what to look for.

This guy has the potential to be dangerous.

Here is a picture of some flips I made a few years ago to use as an educational tool showing when this particular wrong font is used. It's a perfect example for this scenario. Both are real flips, just one has been erased and remade...the other is original. Now imagine if the real font was used.

This is not digitally made or enhanced the fake is in-hand. When first made, out of everyone I showed (both graders and advanced collectors), only Mark Anderson at Beckett nailed it....perfectly.

Kevin Saucier
Luckily I've gotten to the point that when I buy a card on ebay I make a point of looking at the holder and label as much as the card. It kind of defeats the purpose of TPG when you have to analyze the holder as much as the card itself before making a purchase.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:01 AM
Scott

This is really really sad. Back when I was a kid in the late 60s, 70s, all of us bought cards, put em in bikes, traded, etc. Then, we put them in shoeboxes, w rubber bands, etc. It was a FUN HOBBY.

Sadly, this business has got so out of control. Fake autographs, not just the Coach's corner frauds, but a ton more. People switching labels on graded cards. That one is really bothersome, as the previous poster said, what good is TPG anymore?

I love looking at the great cards, and unreal autographs and memorabilia many of you guys buy/sell/trade and own. But, it just is so sad that you really can't totally enjoy your passion for collecting, if you have to worry about the authenticity of a holder, as well as a card, etc. Very sad indeed, and honestly, really puts a bad taste.

Rant over, just somehow, this stuff all bugged me at once today.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:12 AM

How about we meet half way Matt and Iggy? I will take half of Matt's double salary and twice of Iggy's recommendation.

Last edited by danmckee; 09-25-2009 at 07:13 AM. Reason: missed an R
Old 09-25-2009, 08:42 AM
Doug C.

With all of the fake/altered cards, doctored holders, stolen scans, etc. it's become more of a gamble than a "fun hobby" like it should be. When a guy can buy a fake Mantle for $25 and stick it in a PSA holder listed as a fake and still sell it for $1,925 it's mind numbing. It's just sad what big money can do to what was a simple hobby. What's going to happen when these guys start getting less greedy and start passing off fake VG '54 Hank Aaron rookies or something? If their only expense is a $25 reprint and a PSA holder, who's to say they won't go for lower profile stuff in the future when they can still make a few hundred dollars a pop.

Last edited by Doug; 09-25-2009 at 09:01 AM.