NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-16-2009, 01:09 PM

Default T210 Series 8 Wagner Variation?

I'm going through my cards one by one trying to learn about them and I've been able to answer most of my questions through research, but maybe someone could help out with what a variation is.
On the T210's Series 8, I've learned that Wagner Mobile is a variation. Is it just the fact that Mobile is the team? Is this the same Wagner as the Birmingham Wagner and that's all the variation is? Is there any significance to value because of this?

Thanks for any help.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
Frank Wakefield

You say you learned that Wagner Mobile is a variation. How/where did you learn that?

Otto Wagner appeared in 119 games as an outfielder for the Mobile Sea Gulls in 1910. Ivor Wagner pitched in 43 games for the Birmingham Barons in 1910.

I'm not convinced that the Wagner Mobile is a variation. I think it is a distinct card for a different player. But I can be convinced otherwise. What was it you learned that got you thinking it was a variation?
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Wow, you really know your cards. So these are two different guys? Well then I don't think it a variation in the true sense of the word, but I'm a total noob, so what do I know. Maybe it's just a variation on the name Wagner?
Here's where I got the idea:
http://www.vintagecardprices.com/car...lue-Prices.htm

Could be totally misleading as far as I know.

Thanks,

Edit: I don't have the Birmingham, so I can't compare the faces.

Last edited by Tsaiko; 10-16-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Frank Wakefield

Hey there...

With great self-restraint, and with an attempt to not unduly malign such folks, let me say to you that I personally have little faith in on-line card pricing and in professionally graded cards. There are cards out there that I don't know much about. I think I do have a fair understanding of some card series. I'm able to differentiate and be aware of which sets I know a bit about. For those sets, it seems to me that the 'professionals' and the on line folks get things misidentified, misstated, or outright screwed up. What troubles me is that some folks blindly believe the slab slips and websites, instead of some old geezer who's suggesting differently.

I don't know all there is to be known about the Old Mill red border cards. Their complexity has yet to be fathomed. It is way more complicated than 640 cards in 8 series, the higher series more difficult, with Jackson and Stengel being the tough ones. The cards weren't issued all at once. The cards in each particular series weren't all issued all at once. It is a mess waiting to be understood.

I think the Birmingham Wagner and the Mobile Wagner are 2 different guys, an outfielder and a pitcher. Ivor won 91 games over 12 seasons, he never made it to the majors, he was close with Columbus in 1903, then he was with 2 Southern League teams, Birmingham and New Orleans at the end of his career. He was 19-8 with the New Orleans Pelicans in 1912, then he pitched a few games for the Troy Trojans of the New York State League in 1913, his last year in professional baseball. Otto Wagner was on that 1913 Troy team, too, hitting .297 in 138 games. He appeared in 1567 games over 13 seasons, with a career average of .262. But for pitching in one game in 1906, he was an outfielder.

Maybe they were brothers, or relatives. They were in the same league in 1910, I think they were both with the Binghamton Bingoes at the same time in 1905, and they were definitely with Troy in 1913.

I don't think one card is the variation of the other.

I'm glad you asked about it!!! The more of this that gets aired out, the more folks will understand T210s.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 10-16-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:12 PM

From my own area of expertise, I'm well aware of how online sites of so called professionals get it wrong so often. Facts have to be checked and double checked.
I've got most of my info and site suggestions from reading net54 and I'm finding that the T210 series is probably the hardest set, that I have, to get accurate info on.
While they don't have the eloquent colors of the T205's and T206's etc., they have beautiful characteristics that make them clearly unique and I find myself being more and more attracted to them. Now they are becoming even more interesting with the insights I'm gaining here.
You, my friend, are a wealth of information and I thank you.
Old 10-16-2009, 08:11 PM
JeR@Me

Default T210 Production Time Frames...

"I don't know all there is to be known about the Old Mill red border cards. Their complexity has yet to be fathomed. It is way more complicated than 640 cards in 8 series, the higher series more difficult, with Jackson and Stengel being the tough ones. The cards weren't issued all at once. The cards in each particular series weren't all issued all at once. It is a mess waiting to be understood."

... And Frank to begin to understand the different time frames, one must look down I-24 East just past Monteagle Mountain.

Last edited by DixieBaseball; 10-16-2009 at 08:12 PM.