NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Mac Wubben

Default Who is the Cracker Jack expert?

I have a question that I'd like to send to the cracker jack expert...except I don't know who that would be. Where should I direct the question?
Old 11-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Just post it, others may have the same question.
Old 11-23-2010, 09:56 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Lots of E145 experts here...
Old 11-23-2010, 10:36 PM
Frank Wakefield

I agree... if you post your question you'll get opinions from several folks who know a bit about the two series of Cracker Jack cards; and you'll probably be asking about something that's puzzled a few others. Several of the guys here know a right smart about 'em.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:09 AM
Mac Wubben

Basically I've seen a number of cards that look like these in slabs...I saw a Wagner at the national...and the Johnson on the BST looks very similar. Am I crazy to think they're all fakes? Always rounded or worn corners, always dirty, never caramel stains, never 1914, never any foxing. I have about 75 other CJ's many in the lowest of low grades, and none have the dirt, few have rounded corners (folds and tears yes), most have caramel staining etc...

Mac
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Picture (4).jpg (20.3 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg New Picture (1).jpg (20.5 KB, 263 views)
Old 11-24-2010, 11:29 AM
Frank Wakefield

From looking at the images I think the cards are authentic. A black light REALLY does help resolve any doubts you might have. And holding the cards help. 1914 cards are virtually paper. 1915 cards are thin cardstock.

CJs that got flour-pasted into scrapbooks survived well. They can be found today, fairly clean, with decent corners. Cards that were carried in grimy hands, pants pockets, and the like are sometimes in the condition of those you posted. Some 'clean' cards have been bleached a bit. I'd think if those cards were merely soaked, a bit of the dirt would loosen without any color loss. They'd look less worse, but not really very good.

I think those are real. If you only look at CJs in slabs you're less likely to see cards in the condition of those you've posted. If you look at all CJs, or just raw CJs, you're more likely to see them.

Last edited by FrankWakefield; 11-24-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:00 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

those look ok to me and from the same original collection.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 PM
Mac Wubben

The one other thing about these cards is that they are a bit thicker than other 1915's. Find any cj that is dirty, with heavily rounded corners...and I will bet you that it's from 1915, has no caramel stains, will show a heavy line of dirt at one edge and will be noticably thicker that other 1915's. I can send mine out as loaners if you want to compare.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:41 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

I cant ever recall seeing a fake E145-2 with the back upside down.

I know someone can make a homemade fake like this, but all the doctored reprints Ive seen have the back NOT upside down.

Cards in condition like the 2 you pictured are common, missing corners and dirt. and they are the easiest to tell if the back is upside down too

Dont know about the thickness variations though, I do know that E145-1 are slightly thinner than E145-2
Old 11-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

PS. also I think the cards might seem thicker because well used and played with cards (dirty), the paper may "fluff up" a bit from handling IMO. The paper stock of CJs is a porous rough textured paper similar to a thin construction paper. Most/Many E145-2 will not have the staining because they were obtained as a complete set from company, while all E145-1 cards were obtained from the boxes of CJ.
Id think the higher grade/clean cards were stored in a way to keep them pressed and thus they might seem thinner??

Thats the only thing I can think of on why well used worn cards might seem thicker.

Another example.... Well worn R319 Goudeys always seem thicker than the sharp clean NRMT ones.

Last edited by fkw; 11-24-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:58 PM

Default Do crackers round?

Interesting point about the rounded corners...I have seen plenty of well-rounded corners, but usually they seem to occur on cards that are thicker, like Goudeys. Does a thin issue (like the Cracker Jack cards) naturally round, or is it more likely to chip and break away with age, as I have seen in countless Cracker Jacks?

By the way the cards do look authentic...except the corners do strike me as odd.

Brian

Last edited by brianp-beme; 11-24-2010 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

1914 E145-1

1915 E145-2
Old 11-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Frank Wakefield

FKW, I agree with what you say about the reverses. Thing is with the scans way up there is that the reverse on the top left matches up with the card on the bottom right, as evident by the way that corner is missing. So I think these are 1915 cards that he's posted. The way the original scans are it's initially a bit deceptive.