NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Bill Gregory

Default I am so in love with this forum!

I don't remember exactly what I was doing a month or so ago when I first stumbled across net54baseball, but I feel so lucky that I have found it. Not only are all of you guys friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, but this forum, more than any other place I have visited on the web since I started collecting again, gives me the same rush I felt when I was a little kid opening my first wax packs. I am still, it seems, that little kid, wide eyed, pressing my nose up against the window, and net54 is my candy store.

I don't know what it is about baseball that has so resonated with me over the years. Even when I wasn't buying baseball cards, I remained passionate about the sport. I love football, I played tennis and basketball, and still follow all three. But it is baseball that has been the one constant in my life. Women have come and gone, but baseball has always been there for me. The game itself is perfect, and unique. I get anxious as spring training approaches. I can almost smell the grass, taste the peanuts, and hear the guy yelling "hot dogs here. Get your hot dogs here". I love getting my first glimpse of the next great baseball player. I marvel at the athletic ability of these men that play 162 games a year.

I have spent more hours reading baseball statistics than any grown man should. And if a game is on, even if one my teams isn't playing, I will stop what I am doing, and watch. I hear the crack of the bat, and I become Pavlov's dog (minus the slobbering). I could listen to Vin Scully, or Bob Uecker, for hours. I can turn on the MLB Network, and whatever is on, I'm fascinated. I watch Ken Burns' "Baseball" over and over, and wish I could find a DeLorean so I could go back in time and watch Jackie Robinson race around the base paths, hair on fire, cleats flying though the air as he slides into third. I'd give anything to see Mickey Mantle crush a ball, or see Clemente race over to make a catch in right, and fire a perfect strike to third. I'd love to see Bob Feller, Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson, Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and the Babe in their primes, the Iron Horse, Hammerin' Hank and Jimmy Foxx, Stan Musial, Joe DiMaggio, Say Hey, Al Kaline, Walter Johnson, Ty Cobb... I'd give my left arm to see all the greats of the game, but I know that's impossible.

But this forum is the next best thing. I log on every day not knowing what I'm going to see. Each time one of you share the latest addition to your collections, it's a piece of history. This forum makes me feel that same excitement again. It's not about "hey, I just got this card, and I'll turn around and sell it for this". This place is for people that love the game, love the hobby, and excitedly rush out to the mailbox like I do. I am constantly amazed by some of the things I have seen, and I know that I have people that will help me navigate the uncertain waters of collecting vintage cards for the first time. I can't wait to get going, and share my cards with you all.

So, I want to say a big "thank you" to everybody I have had a chance to interact with, and an even bigger thank you to Leon for making this very special place available to everybody. I am enjoying myself immensely, and look forward to what the future holds.

Batter up.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 12-08-2012 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 06:50 AM
James Wymer

Great post! This is a fantastic and lively forum.
Always accepting quality consignments
Old 12-09-2012, 09:18 AM

Welcome, Bill!

Cool username, btw -- I always liked Rollie's 'stache. In fact, a few years ago I was participating in a thread on a music forum, and we were posting tongue-in-cheek versions of signs we'd bring to our favorite rock concerts. Being a Rush fan, and knowing that the drummer, Neil Peart, also had a sweet handlebar mustache in the 70's similar to Rollie, I made up this mock sign to bring to my next Rush show...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Copy of RUSH SIGN.jpg (59.0 KB, 289 views)

Last edited by CW; 12-09-2012 at 09:20 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I moved this thread over from the post war side so more folks can see it. I have to say I love seeing passionate people in our hobby. It's a wonderful thing and I think most of us can relate. I love the game of baseball (I think this next season I will be playing a minimum of 4 softball games a week) and love our hobby. I think Bill captures the essence of it quite nicely. And you are most welcome, Bill. It is my honor and pleasure to try to help make this forum and the hobby a great place. It is truly guys like yourself that make it what it is!!

Last edited by Leon; 12-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Barry Arnold

Default bill

what an incredibly positive and upbeat message!
Your writing and spirit is most sincere, engaging and contagious.
Welcome aboard and thanks for sharing.
all the best,
barry
Old 12-09-2012, 11:32 AM
Steve K@mmɘyɘr

WOW..... my sentiments exactly Bill. As a newer member to this site, and just back into collecting after a long layoff myself, I couldn't have said it better.

This site truly IS amazing. I feel so privileged to find like-minded people that share this passion as much as me. I live for the game, and I feel that the game of the past lives through me and my cards.

Amazingly enough I just had this conversation with some friends at dinner last night. I rarely bring up baseball card collecting when I am around "non-collectors" because I know they just wouldn't understand the passion. I live right outside Defiance, OH and the big news in our little town for the past few months has been the "Black Swamp" find. Everybody here knows the Kissner's and we were at their restaurant last night. They are selling posters of some of the cards and I picked one up to get framed and hang on the wall in my card room. That sparked the conversation about my collection and me getting back into it again. Of course I rambled on and on about the immense impact that the find has had on the hobby, and of course I mentioned Net54 and all it's wonderful members.

You are so right. Baseball is pure. Baseball is life. Baseball is MY life and I thank you Leon and all the other members here for sharing it with me.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:44 PM

Default Welcome Bill.....

great post
Old 12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Eric Perry

Bill,

Your post is outstanding and I truly appreciate the wonderful way in which you stated what most, if not all of us feel. Your passion is inspiring and your enthusiasm is absolutely contagious.

I am also a new member here and have found this community to be one of the most amazing groups of people I have ever encountered. Whether offering a warm welcome, weighing in with their opinions regarding a particular card or freely sharing their knowledge about collecting, the people on this board have consistently exemplified everything that is good about the hobby.

You certainly found a great place. From the looks of things, Net54 has also found a great new member.

Welcome aboard.

Best Regards,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 12-09-2012, 07:37 PM
John Otto
J0hn Ot.to

Bill...we joined about the same time, and I couldn't agree more...I felt like kinda a geek reading the threads all the way back to 2007...hahaha...but man, so much good stuff here. Thanks for the post, it's like I wrote it myself...
Old 12-09-2012, 07:58 PM
Ja,mie B.

Awesome! There is some really good stuff on here, and a lot of very knowledgeable collectors. Enjoy the site!
Old 12-09-2012, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethicsprof View Post
what an incredibly positive and upbeat message!
Welcome aboard

Agreed Barry
Old 12-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Barry Arnold

Default frank

many thanks, ole buddy.
hope things are going well with you and all the best with REA!
Barry
Old 12-10-2012, 02:49 AM
Bill Gregory

Quote:
Originally Posted by CW View Post
Welcome, Bill!

Cool username, btw -- I always liked Rollie's 'stache. In fact, a few years ago I was participating in a thread on a music forum, and we were posting tongue-in-cheek versions of signs we'd bring to our favorite rock concerts. Being a Rush fan, and knowing that the drummer, Neil Peart, also had a sweet handlebar mustache in the 70's similar to Rollie, I made up this mock sign to bring to my next Rush show...
Nice, Chuck. I, too, am a huge Rush fan. I'm a prog fanatic.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.