NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: Why Do You Come to the Net54 Forum?
Learn new things about the industry 129 73.71%
Make new contacts 11 6.29%
Attack other members 5 2.86%
Be a spectator to the attacks 13 7.43%
Show my collections 3 1.71%
Nothing Better to do 14 8.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2013, 09:53 AM
Howard Chernick

Default Why Do You Come to the Net54 Forum?

I come here daily to learn about what is going on in the vintage card world. I am always amazed to see scans of cards that I never knew existed. I also know that many of the members here are the most knowledgeable in the field.

Every question that I have posted here has been answered.

I have made a few friends here also.

But lately, whenever I come to Net54, I see another personal attack on someone. Why can't someone come here to ask questions, or vent about an issue with a customer without getting verbally attacked. Many of the people who do the verbal attacking probably don't even know the person that they are picking on.

So, I posted this poll here to see why people are really coming to Net54.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

I love seeing people's cards of all types.
I do enjoy sharing my pickups.

To read people's theories and ideas on how the sets were designed, printed.

Contributing what I can.

Chatting with friends and helping each other get cards they need.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:03 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Hi Howard
I was actually going to start a similar thread today, as this one. I come here because it's a great place to learn about vintage cards and to make friends. Lately there has been more than the normal amount of angst. While I don't like it I also don't like censorship, at all. Therein lies my dilemma. I have always preferred not to lock threads and not to ban people. Heck, I have let some folks back on lately that totally slammed me, in a bad way. I am a very forgiving person. I just want what is best for the hobby and this board. And then after that, Peace and Happiness on Earth.

And except for "attack other members" I could easily click on every box in the poll

Last edited by Leon; 02-23-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Jeff

To participate in polls.
Seriously, I come to learn, communicate with good friends and share what limited knowledge I have. The pee-pee measuring contests come with the territory. I tend to ignore them mostly.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Poll

Too bad only one selection can be chosen. I didn't complete the poll because several options applied to me, along with more reasons that are not listed.

BTW, I do not enjoy any of the threads that turn into threats, name calling, etc. Legitimate complaints are fine but let's keep them civil please.

Rick

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:10 AM
David Pierson
Banned

I like to study vintage cards and keep informed of developments in the hobby, new finds, and I love seeing other collections. Dave Pierson
Old 02-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Bob Donaldson

I choose option #1 Learn about the industry. Another reason, net mentioned is the B/S/T thread. I've been a seller and more often a buyer and find it great.

Regarding the personal attacks, when I see one of those type of posts, I just move on to something else.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Guy Bourque

I come for the Buffet... of cards. Seriously, I just started collecting prewar cards this past december and in my opinion this is the best place to gather knowledgeable information about the hobby.
by the way Buythatcard, I have bought 3 or 4 T205's from you on ebay and your service and shipping is amazing

Guy

Last edited by guy3050; 02-23-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:45 AM
J@son M1ller

I still come on everyday and post but lately have been less inclined to participate because there is a vulture mentality where people jump all over everything you have to say.

Last edited by Jaybird; 02-23-2013 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Hi Howard
I was actually going to start a similar thread today, as this one. I come here because it's a great place to learn about vintage cards and to make friends. Lately there has been more than the normal amount of angst. While I don't like it I also don't like censorship, at all. Therein lies my dilemma. I have always preferred not to lock threads and not to ban people. Heck, I have let some folks back on lately that totally slammed me, in a bad way. I am a very forgiving person. I just want what is best for the hobby and this board. And then after that, Peace and Happiness on Earth.

And except for "attack other members" I could easily click on every box in the poll
I think that's why almost everyone here would agree you are the right guy for the job!

I come here to learn new things about the hobby I love so much. Making friends along the way has been a tremendous bonus that I never really thought would escalate to the point to where it's at today...really amazing.

And of course to buy new cardboard!!!

Although some of the crazy threads are humorous, it's been a bit discouraging of late. I hate to see fellow members get so angry at each other over rather moot subjects. We all love this hobby and are very passionate about it, but we should be thinking of OUR forum first and not only ourselves.
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-23-2013, 10:47 AM

The chicks
You know, the card collector groupies.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:49 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
The chicks
You know, the card collector groupies.
Awesome!
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 02-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Kenny

Mainly to learn about the hobby. If I have questions about what an item is someone is always quick to help me out. I love to see what people have picked up and like to post things I pick up as well. Back in the day I couldnt wait til SCD showed up, and now net54 is like that every day.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Glenn
Gl.en.n Willr1ch

I believe we're all here for the same thing, which is the love of the hobby and joy of collecting vintage cardboard. We're all here to discuss, debate, buy, sell, trade etc. However the majority of us are men, and when you put men together and combine a passion they all are share, it's inevitable that things will eventually get passionate and heated from time to time. It wouldn't matter what hobby or interest was being discussed here, when men and a passion are involved, it's almost impossible not for human nature (especially that of a man) not to take effect.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Eric Perry

Thank you very much for running this poll and posting this thread. I truly appreciate the opportunity to weigh in on this.

The reasons I visit are numerous; however, one stands clearly above the rest. This board has taught me more about Pre-War material in four months than I had learned in my 40 years prior to joining.

Yes, I have made a few friends along the way, and find that quite rewarding. I have also made a few transactions - all of them positive ones - through the B/S/T, and enjoyed that too.

And, of course, I have had bouts of side-splitting laughter at some of the things posted on Net54, occasionally coupled with tears literally streaming down my face.

Are there some spats that get a bit nasty? Perhaps. However, I try to take things with a grain of salt. Life is too short, and I would rather spend it having fun that getting too worked up over pieces of cardboard depicting, "long dead sporting men." (sbfinley, please know that I am not taking a swipe by quoting you. Quite the contrary, I think you put things in proper perspective when you posted that.)

In closing, it never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge our members have about a hobby that means a great deal to me. And their willingness to share what they have learned is truly inspiring. So long as there are those willing to teach me about vintage cards, I am more than eager to learn.

I consider being a member of this board to be a golden opportunity, and thank each and every one of you for welcoming me here.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Eric

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-23-2013, 11:28 AM
nels0n aud.et

Learn new things about the industry
Make new contacts
Old 02-23-2013, 11:44 AM
Bruce C@rter

I came here for most of the same reasons everyone else is here. But all the bitching is making me not want to participate or even really be here. Everyone needs to grow up. Wazoo could teach you some manners and he is 16.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Arthur R!ch

I've known about N54 for years but never really came here or read the boards. Ironically, all the times I heard about N54 it was never really about a great thread or some sort of fantastic hobby community, but always about how there was drama and one person was ripping apart another or someone was being a prick and insulting someone else or some other negative occurrence that equated to a train wreck.

I started an account to participate in the other forums on N54 and have found them to not have any of that. Everyone seems friendly and there's some good knowledge. But in my little experience with the Pre-War Baseball forum it is exactly like what I've heard about -- drama, immaturity, personal attacks, sarcastic and condescending attitudes toward new members (or old members, for that matter), you name it.

Granted, that's probably par for the course with any public message board. It's just unfortunate since there are so many good members with extensive knowledge and they seem to get drowned out by the masses that wouldn't piss on you to put out a fire.

I don't envy Leon, he has a tough job. On one hand, the health of the board is dependent on the good members sharing their information. On the other hand, train-wreck drama blowouts create site hits and that's good for the banner ads. How much is too much? I know I wouldn't be able to determine that. I'm guessing there's an inverse correlation between the drama and the sharing of information by good members.

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx
Old 02-23-2013, 11:55 AM

My grandfather started buying me cards in 1980. I was an avid collector through age 20 or so. After that my interests in card collecting kinda came and went. Late last year, my interest was rekindled. I still had all my cards....rarely sold anything....

So that led me to the PSA forums, which led me here. The PSA forums have a LOT of good information. But theres also a lot of conflict, I believe primarily due to hyper defensive comments from people who are dealers and not collectors.

I like this forum thus far. Even though I don't collect pre war stuff, I learn an awful lot here and find things interesting. Hopefully, there eventually will be more posted in the post war, pre 1980 forum as that is my collecting focus.
Old 02-23-2013, 11:57 AM
David McDonald

Can't get Jerry Springer up here in British Siberia but FiveFour does the trick.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:20 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Can't get Jerry Springer up here in British Siberia but FiveFour does the trick.
LMAO classic David.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:26 PM

I was looking for experienced card collectors to teach me more about t206s. They have done much more than just that. Thank you all so much
Schlei (Catching) Back run: 10/12 (minus blank back)

Actively collecting t206 Hall of Famers, Southern Leaguers, and Various backs in good to excellent condition. Love talking cards too.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

To see pics of athletic men
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM

Default Why come to the Forum....

For insight on T206....To see scans of other collector's pieces....To check out B/S/T....To learn more about the hobby in general(never too old to learn)....And prob one of the top, to communicate with great people on the forum.....Waz said it best, you wind up learning alot about life also...
Old 02-23-2013, 12:45 PM
Mark Hooks

I joined Net54 to find like minded "collectors" who share the same passion for our hobby that I do. It's tough being in a house with three other women and trying to explain to them this great hobby......LOL.

I have always been a vintage collector and loved T206's. I have started and stopped collecting tobacco cards about a dozen times over the last 30 years and finally made my mind up to finally "collect" T206's. Net54 has some of the most expierenced and GOOD people I have met. Not a better site out there as far as I am concerned.

Mark
Old 02-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

I come here to learn about cards, and see other peoples scans of real cool stuff. Weather its a top graded t205 or an awesome miscut or freak card. I have also bought a few cards from members here, its been great comming here.

o yea how can i forget about some of the pics u guys post of your offices / bars etc awesome stuff!!!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Fred

I replied as most have, but sometimes you have to admit that some of the train wrecks get kind of entertaining in a soap operatic kind of way... from those train wrecks we get some great pics from Wonka and others...

Last edited by Fred; 02-23-2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
from those train wrecks we get some great pics from Wonka and others
I will admit...Wonka's Photoshop work is superb

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 02-23-2013, 03:30 PM
nels0n aud.et

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric72 View Post
i will admit...wonka's photoshop work is superb
Old 02-23-2013, 04:25 PM
Jason Wells

I come on looking for that card I need in the B/S/T.I also like checking out others new additions and reading threads that interest me.I also come here to check the archives for certain information I'm looking for.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:58 PM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by HasselhoffsCheeseburger View Post
But in my little experience with the Pre-War Baseball forum it is exactly like what I've heard about -- drama, immaturity, personal attacks, sarcastic and condescending attitudes toward new members (or old members, for that matter), you name it.

Granted, that's probably par for the course with any public message board. It's just unfortunate since there are so many good members with extensive knowledge and they seem to get drowned out by the masses that wouldn't piss on you to put out a fire.
You think they are bad? Autograph guys got banished to their own forum!

I come here for the opposite reason I went to college: To learn.

I am always amazed at the depth and breadth of the knowlege here. I try to help out where I am comfortable, And hopefully give a laugh or two.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 PM
Jay Norlund

Didn't vote because I come here for B/S/T. There are some interesting topics and knowledgeable people but I'm here for the cards.

Last edited by jnorlund; 02-23-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 PM
Richard Cline

I was pointed in this direction a few years back to learn more about the '33 Goudeys, that was just the tip of the iceberg. I had no idea there was so much out there in vintage cards. I go in spurts with collecting but love seeing the "new" pickups by members and the sharing of knowledge of these special cards.

The train wrecks are mildly interesting but take away from the site in my opinion.

RC
Old 02-23-2013, 06:51 PM
@ndrew woo.dfin

Howard there is no "All of the above option".

Member since 2009
Old 02-23-2013, 07:03 PM

I started coming on to this board to learn about cards. I find myself logging in every day as I find this site enjoyable. CN
Old 02-23-2013, 07:41 PM
Howard Chernick

Andrew,

I have a feeling that if there was an "All of the Above", most people would have selected that.

Buythatcard

http://stores.ebay.com/Buythatcard
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM
Dave

For the drama.

CU just puts me to sleep these days.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:17 AM

I come to look at all the great cards that I will never be able to afford to add to my collection.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:12 AM
banned
Bi.ll Hol.ler

Originally to act a fool but hung around and calmed down because I like old people.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:57 PM
Val Kehl

For all the knowledge and eye candy!
Val
Old 02-24-2013, 02:35 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Learn new things; see interesting items; socialize with friends old and new.

And fling feces around with the rest of the illiterate chimps.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 02-24-2013, 02:41 PM
Jose Vazquez
Jo.se Vazq.uez - Banned

If i had to pick one it would be a toss up between the 2nd & last.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:01 PM
pete ullman

I come here for the card porn...the knowledge...and to dork out with other vintage bb card collectors.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:51 PM
Craig Wright

To paraphrase the line from "Field of Dreams": Net54 was built, so I come

Best Regards,
Craig