NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > Baseball Memorabilia B/S/T

Old 01-08-2016, 09:59 PM
Dave Johnson

Default Questions/ Help regarding a couple of Cubs Photos - Help appreciated

I have 2 more photos as well of Cubs, but wanted to start with these to get some insight.

I am NOT a photo guy (aka, I don't know much of anything about baseball photos, what generation they might be etc) so any help of approximately what you can tell me this is in terms of what year, and a fair market value would be appreciated.

First up is a 8 x 10 pf Jimmy Wilson and Dizzy Dean. IT is on Glossy paper stock. However the front upper right the gloss is a bitfrosted looking - not uniform almost like it got some humidty on it...but there is no change in texture. IT is not real heavy stock as if you hold it up to the light you can easily see the photo through to the front, matter of fact it even shows up a bit on my scanner as you can see.

The second photo I have to get an opinion on is a George Burke Photo of Larry French of the Chicago Cubs. THere are also some other typewritten notations on the top of the photo on the reverse...which I don't know if that is significant or not or why they would be there. Here are front and back scans of that photo which is 8x10

Old 01-09-2016, 07:29 AM

Dave--I don't know about the "frosted" problem you cite in the Wilson-Dean photo. It could have been caused by moisture as you suggest.

George Burke, or an assistant, consistently typed the name of the player, along with cataloging numbers, on the back of his photos. They appear on the Burke photos I own. Also, I think there are at least two colors used for Burke's stamp: purple and black.

Maybe the photo experts on the board can offer some insight.

Enjoy your photos.

Cheers, Mike

Last edited by Michael Peich; 01-09-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:38 PM
Ciaran

Dave - the second photo you posted of Larry French would certainly appear to be a "type 1" ie original print from the negative within the same time period.

I say that because the Burke stamp on the back is well known and was stamped on certain of his photos in the 1930s.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:45 PM
Dave Johnson

Thanks for the help thus far.

I am going to be selling the few photos I have, so any idea of value on these or similar items (my other photos are more along the lines of the first example and NOT the type 1)
Old 01-16-2016, 11:36 PM
Lewis Vintage Collectibles

Default photos

Hey there bud. The 1st photo looks like a Type 1 but couldnt be 100% for sure without seeing it in person since there are no marking.

The second photo is definitely a Type 1 photo shot by Burke who is one of the Top 5 photographers of baseball.

The value of both photos in my personal opinon are going to be from $25-$50 each.
Old 01-17-2016, 10:17 PM
L@nce Fit.tro

The second photo was shot in 1941, French's last year with the Cubs. The Burke stamping is consistent with that period, and in this instance, I would be confident in it having been produced within the 2-year period requisite for Type 1 classification. The "252" at the top left corner is Burke's player file coding for Larry French (i.e. all of his Larry French photos would have the 252 player code, regardless of which team he was pictured with) and "N3" is his team coding for the Chicago Cubs.