NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 04-23-2020, 11:23 AM
Andy H

Default Most common Hall of Fame autographs

I know all the Baseball ones (Feller, Doerr, etc...) but how about the other sports?

Bower's gotta to be up there in hockey at least.

My GLAC collection (1/240):
https://www.collectorfocus.com/colle...gned-postcards
Old 04-23-2020, 01:49 PM
K&v!/\/ R@g$d@/3

I assume you mean football, basketball, and hockey.
IMO the easiest way to determine the "commonness " or "rarity " of an autograph is to check price guides. The cheaper the autograph the more common . PSA autograph facts is one of the easiest price guides available whether or not you agree with the values they list for autographs.
Also books like Ron Keurajian"s dealing with baseball HOFers can give you a very good idea of availability as well. He even gives a rudimentary breakdown of availability on the type of medium the autograph is on.
I'm not aware of complete price guides on football, basketball, and hockey as there are on baseball.
Old 04-24-2020, 01:19 PM
Bob Davies

I can give a little hockey perspective, off the top.

Gordie Howe was a signing machine. Maintained a beautiful signature throughout most of his life. As one of the top 3 players ever (maybe number 1), his signature can be had at prices almost anyone can do.

Bobby Hull is also a prolific signer. Plenty of his stuff out there too. Prices are affordable and rival Howe. Plus he is obviously still signing.

Bobby Orr was a bit tougher, but over the years the inventory seems to be increasing. His signature on pieces has come down because he seems to be more prolific, but it is still a $100 item on cards and pucks. He rarely does in person shows, but the last one he did, he commanded way more than you can pick his stuff up for.

Jean Beliveau was also a prolific signer, and when he did shows, many times the money went to a local charity. He too has a beautiful signature, maybe the best in hockey IMO. A gentleman throughout his life, he rarely turned down a request. You can pick up nice pieces for a very reasonable price.

Slightly tougher is Maurice "Rocket" Richard, but still plentiful. He passed a few years back, but his pieces can be had for under $100.

The tougher ones that many people of my generation would covet, as they would have seen them play, are Terry Sawchuk, Tim Horton, Doug Harvey, and Jacques Plante. They all passed at a younger age, and there is a limited supply. You don't see them for under $100 at all.

Everyone wants a Howie Morenz signature. Much rarer than a Ruth or Gehrig, given when he passed. These go for large (hockey type) dollars when available.

Finally, Georges Vezina passed at a young age from TB. IMO these are rarer that Morenz.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:35 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Al Kaline was a prolific signer for decades. I did notice a signature someone posted on Instragram a couple of months ago was shaky and sloppy. Very unlike his clean signatures he's been cranking out for decades.

Feller as mentioned signed for decades. Both of their autographs have been very inexpensive for years (outside the recent bump of Kaline's due to his recent passing).
Old 04-24-2020, 04:18 PM
Brad Jerome

Harmon Killebrew and Monte Irvin were signing machines. Their stuff is very affordable. Rollie Fingers, Gaylord Perry are a couple more baseball that quickly come to mind, even though they both charge a very small fee generally to sign. It is generally pretty comparable to what their items would go for on the market.

Going back to the Hockey post regarding holy grail Hockey signatures, I would have to venture a guess that since were are dealing with the big world event right now that there would be some interest in finding a signature of "Bad Joe" Hall who was a legend in the early days of Hockey who succumbed to the Spanish Flu during the infamous Spanish Flu Epidemic a little over 100 years ago.
Old 04-24-2020, 06:21 PM
Tyler Smith
Tyler Sm.ith

Pete Rose... oh wait lol. In all seriousness the dude makes Bobby Doerr look like Dr. Mike Marshall. I also think Gehringer, Slaughter, and Mize signed a bunch. Boggs is incredibly generous when it comes to signing, and Tony Gwynn was too.

Basketball is hard to say but Shaq signs a ton. Even ttm but it's highly debated if it's actually him doing the signing. A lot of the old timers were fairly easy to come by... Cousy comes to mind.

Football is also a little more difficult but I grew up close to Weeb Ewbank and even though me and all my friends had no idea who he was we were always told he was in the HOF and would get his autograph whenever we saw him as he always graciously did. Funny little side note is that when he passed away Joe Namath came to town for his funeral. He went to one of the elementary schools, for some reason, but none of the kids knew who he was!

Last edited by ronniehatesjazz; 04-24-2020 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:29 PM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Bill Barber is another hockey HOFer that is very responsive to fan mail. I'd think he would be considered common.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Ted Lindsay must have signed at least 100 items for me over the years.