NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Buy/Sell/Trade Section (must login, caveat emptor) > 1980 & Newer Sports Cards B/S/T

Old 08-08-2021, 03:04 PM

Default You ever considered selling it all?

Many times I have considered selling all my modern cards except a few and reinvest in something different. I’m thinking some vintage cards. Has anyone here done the same? If so how did you sell it all? EBay or a dealer seem to be the only two options…unless I’m missing something. eBay will cost about 15% and dealer will want 50-60% off but will be less work for me…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-08-2021, 04:04 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post
Many times I have considered selling all my modern cards except a few and reinvest in something different. I’m thinking some vintage cards. Has anyone here done the same? If so how did you sell it all? EBay or a dealer seem to be the only two options…unless I’m missing something. eBay will cost about 15% and dealer will want 50-60% off but will be less work for me…

Hmm, so if this something you are truly contemplating, I am looking to fill year holes (Topps Baseball only) from around 2000 to the present. Maybe there is a deal or more to be made if you do decide to go this route.

If you are just interested in selling, I understand that too.

Last edited by butchie_t; 08-08-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:20 PM
Joe Jones

Default You ever considered selling it all?

I sold most of my modern last year. Went with COMC and an auction house for the better items. Spent the money for a storage barn at my house! It was great not dealing with ebay buyers on each individual item. Joe

My collection here:https://imageevent.com/joejo20

Last edited by joejo20; 08-08-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:00 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejo20 View Post
I sold most of mine last year. Went with COMC and an auction house for the better items. Spent the money for a storage barn at my house! It was great not dealing with ebay buyers on each individual item. Joe

Good on you!

Sounds like a nice return on your investment.
Old 08-08-2021, 05:12 PM
Joe Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by butchie_t View Post
Good on you!

Sounds like a nice return on your investment.

Thank you. I wanted to cash flow the building project and could not part with my vintage cards so most of the modern had to go.

My collection here:https://imageevent.com/joejo20
Old 08-09-2021, 07:43 AM
Robert J. Miller

Yes. I wish I could sell everything I have post 1980 and put that money into Tobacco cards through the 1960's
Bob
Old 08-09-2021, 08:36 AM
Rick McQuillan

Default Selling it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared6180 View Post

I have seen people rent a table at a card show, load up the table with everything they have, put a price on it, and let it rip. Large lots always seem to sell at a show and they usually seem to sell out in less than an hour if the price is right. You could also try Facebook Marketplace. I have bought and sold several large lots and collections through Marketplace.

T213-2 139 down 46 to go.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:40 AM
Robert Williams

I am toying with the idea of selling it all......Interested in what people have to say.
Old 08-09-2021, 08:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I am toying with the idea of selling it all......Interested in what people have to say.
You've said this several times before, what ended up holding you back?

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:15 AM

i have a ton of stuff i'd like to sell off, but to the OP, i wouldn't suggest the bulk/all at once maneuver. mostly a bunch of scavengers out there looking to pay you 2 cents on the dollar.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:18 AM

It’s just something I am considering at the moment. I don’t have a ton of stuff and I have several things that won’t arrive until September from COMC anyhow. Unbelievable how long it takes to get cards you paid for MONTHS ago, but that’s a whole different rant!

Old 08-09-2021, 02:57 PM
Dave

I was going to sell all my sports cards at one point to help my wife and I with medical bills. She told me she wouldn't want me to do that. My wife is angel.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:24 AM
T0dd M@rcum

My long term plan is to sell my cards in retirement. It will give me something to do and I will enjoy meeting people and working with them to build their collection If all goes as planned, the money will not be a priority. The price spike has made it tempting to accelerate that, but it comes down to...what would i do with the money that would make me happier than the cards...and I have not found a good answer. I will likely keep my 1970s cards, which it the era I collected in packs. I could always build out regionals and test issues to keep me involved.
Old 08-10-2021, 03:48 PM
Joe M.

Sold 90% of my collection before I move to Florida 5 years ago. Ebay & Auction Houses. I was already retired so had the time. Joe

Collecting Detroit 19th Century N172, N173, N175.
N172 Detroit. Getzein, McGlone, Rooks, Wheelock, Gillligan, Kid Baldwin Error, Lady Baldwin, Conway, Deacon White

Positive transactions with Joe G, Jay Miller, CTANK80, BIGFISH, MGHPRO, k. DIXON, LEON, INSIDETHEWRAPPER, GOCUBSGO32, Steve Suckow, RAINIER2004, Ben Yourg, GNAZ01, yanksrnice09, cmiz5290, Kris Sweckard (Kris19),Angyal, Chuck Tapia,Belfast1933,bcbgcbrcb,fusorcruiser, tsp06, cobbcobb13
Old 08-11-2021, 05:38 AM
Ne@l K

I've sold most of my modern collection through myslabs, local shows, and 4 Sharp Corners and haven't looked back. I'll continue to pick up a Topps boxes every year but that is it. The days of wanting/buying the diamond/retro/limited/refractor/hyperfractor are behind me .... I'm fine with just base cards

Successful transactions with Peter Spaeth, Phil Garry, Don Hontz, JStottlemire, maj78, bcbgcbrcb, secondhandwatches, esehobmbre, Leon, Jetsfan, Brian Van Horn, Brian Dwyer, MGHPro, DeanH, canofcorn, Zigger Zagger, conor912, RayBShotz, Jay Wolt, AConte, Halbig Vintage and many others
Old 08-11-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post
I've sold most of my modern collection through myslabs, local shows, and 4 Sharp Corners and haven't looked back. I'll continue to pick up a Topps boxes every year but that is it. The days of wanting/buying the diamond/retro/limited/refractor/hyperfractor are behind me .... I'm fine with just base cards

Think I’m going to list some on eBay and see how it goes. Will probably make player lots of the low end and individual listings for the bigger stuff. Wish I had one of those self feeding scanners!

Old 08-12-2021, 09:51 PM
Lance

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
My long term plan is to sell my cards in retirement. It will give me something to do and I will enjoy meeting people and working with them to build their collection If all goes as planned, the money will not be a priority. The price spike has made it tempting to accelerate that, but it comes down to...what would i do with the money that would make me happier than the cards...and I have not found a good answer. I will likely keep my 1970s cards, which it the era I collected in packs. I could always build out regionals and test issues to keep me involved.
This is literally the best response I've read in a really long time and share your long term plan. Cheers to the long haul.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2021, 09:49 AM
J Stone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I think this is a great plan and one I intend to follow for myself. Thought about just selling it all in one shot but after considering the "discount" and the fact that I don't have an immediate need for the money I put that thought aside.

I have at least 5-10 years of working to go and really can't imagine "just retiring". I don't golf, don't have a huge social network, and not much in the way of family. I've always enjoyed treasure hunting and buying and selling and will probably continue to do that albeit on a very small scale. Fortunately my "other half" indulges me in that.

Been slowly moving out my lesser stuff, concentrating on very specific areas of collecting relating to my local teams and evaluating my better pieces, which I will probably keep to sell off in my retirement era.