NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-21-2021, 08:10 AM
Travis Wise

Default OT: Scanner advice and recommendations

Looking to purchase a new scanner. Haven't purchased one in years and hoping someone could point me in the direction of a somewhat affordable, but good option.

Thanks in advance
Travis
Old 06-21-2021, 08:20 AM
Scott Russell

canon 9000f MarkII isn't produced any more but you can still find it new especially if you have a local independent computer store. I found 3 at one store and I'm still kicking myself for not buying all of them. They go for more on the secondary market than if you can track one down in someone's back stock.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 06-21-2021, 08:23 AM
Dan Bl@u

Many of us (myself included) use the Epson V550 or V600. They are very easy to use and produce great scans. An example is below. The 550 is usually in the $199 range and the 600 just slightly more. Whatever you get, the most important thing is that you buy a scanner with a CCD element, rather than a CIS element. A CIS-type scanner can only can flat surfaces, and it will produce a blurry scan if you try to slab anything with depth, such as a slabbed card. A CCD-type scanner has a greater depth of field, and can scan slabbed cards perfectly.

Last edited by Bliggity; 06-21-2021 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 08:29 AM
Is Mudville so bad?

I'll second the V600 recommendation, great scanner at a good price, easy to set up and use.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/183872512@N04/
-
Old 06-21-2021, 12:52 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
Whatever you get, the most important thing is that you buy a scanner with a CCD element, rather than a CIS element. A CIS-type scanner can only can flat surfaces, but it will produce a blurry scan if you try to slab anything with depth, such as a slabbed card. A CCD-type scanner has a greater depth of field, and can scan slabbed cards perfectly.
What Dan said about CCD vs. CIS scanners is MOST IMPORTANT!! So very often I want to scream when I see blurry scans of very nice, graded cards on Net54 and other sports-card-collector sites. I'm very happy with my Epson V330 scanner that I've had for a few years, but I don't know if Epson still makes this model.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:19 PM

Last year I started selling some of my collection and got sick of taking pictures with my phone, dealing with the glare, out of focus etc.

I did some research and ended up buying an Epson GT-1500 used on ebay for $130 including shipping. Seems to work okay.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:23 PM
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey2296 View Post
I'll second the V600 recommendation, great scanner at a good price, easy to set up and use.
I third this recommendation. The V600 was a game changer for my collection!
Old 06-21-2021, 04:47 PM
Howard Chasser

Default Already said, but worth repeating!

What Dan said about CCD vs. CIS scanners is MOST IMPORTANT!!

Yes, it makes that big a difference. That reiterated, I use the Canon 9000F Mark II mentioned earlier as well. I have an Epson V370 as a backup, but haven't used it yet.

Cards for sale: https://www.flickr.com/photos/185900663@N07/albums

I am actively buying and selling vintage sports cards graded and raw. Feedback as a buyer: https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=297262

I am accepting select private consignments of quality vintage cards (raw or graded) and collecting "want" lists for higher end ($1K+) vintage cards.

Last edited by hcv123; 06-21-2021 at 04:48 PM.
Old 06-22-2021, 08:39 PM
Troy Rambo

CCD scanner for sure! I use an Epson perfection v370 and it’s great to scan slabbed cards!
Old 06-23-2021, 05:31 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Another vote for the Canon (Canoscan) 9000 IIF - Awesome!

I'm pretty sure that the Epson (mentioned) and the Canon are going to be the majority of what "most" people use -

Also - We have a member (NGS428) that did a really good write up on scanner tips a year or so back

That post is here :

https://www.net54baseball.com/showth...hlight=scanner

I checked the link and the download appears to be still working - Very Informative
Old 06-23-2021, 12:53 PM
Randy

I have a epson v370 I picked up for $50.

its a ccd and works quite well.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:17 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I use a Canon Canoscan 5600F. I think it's easy and works well.
From the BST a few years back....

Old 06-25-2021, 03:10 PM

For those using the Epson, what do you have the settings set at? I seem to never be quite satisfied with the color
Old 06-25-2021, 03:43 PM
Bry@n

I bought a used Epson 4990 on Ebay (forerunner to the v600 or v700). A few things to consider:

1) If you buy used, look for a scanner that still has the plastic guides that originally came with it (if there were any).

2) If you might ever want to scan negatives, not all scanners will do that so pay special attention for that feature (the 4990 does a great job with negatives). There are also differences in the size of the negatives that different scanners can handle, which can come into play if you are scanning older large acetate or glass plate negatives.

3) When I scan using my laptop's built-in scan function, the scans are clear but the colors always require some adjustment. Epson has the software for all of its scanners on their site for free download, and when using that to create the scans the colors are much better without touching any settings, so I would be sure to use the software that came with the machine instead of the scan function that comes with every computer.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:08 PM
Mike

Default 2 cents

(Oddly enough just bought a new all in one)

I had to break down and buy one to replace an old Canon MP480 and picked up a Xerox B205. Here's a scan from last night that I used on another post.

Thoughts on quality? (of the scan) Setup was easy peasy lemon squeezy.

*edit* I'm still working on loading good quality scans on here lol and those are 2 different "attempts"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sky birds 2.jpg (12.1 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg sky birds card.jpg (10.1 KB, 277 views)

Last edited by Bartholomew_Bump_Bailey; 06-25-2021 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2021, 07:14 AM
Dan Bl@u

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagechris View Post
For those using the Epson, what do you have the settings set at? I seem to never be quite satisfied with the color
When I first started using my V550, I thought the colors were too dull and were not accurate to the card that I was scanning. For me it was a simple fix. Using the Epson software, from the main scan screen, choose the "Tone Correction" button (circled in red). Then choose "High Contrast" from the tone-curve menu. The color match was perfect. I tried a bunch of different settings, and just this one change was the best and most accurate.

Old 06-28-2021, 08:59 AM

Agree with the comments above regarding scanners. I have used both Epson and Canon scanners. I prefer the V600 although both produced good results.

Mike (Bartholemew Bump Bailey) it looks like your scanner has an auto-crop scan feature. That is convenient for many things but annoying when it comes to scanning graded cards as it crops some of the holder.

The Canon scanning software has options to size the default scan so you will get all the edges of the entire holder.
Old 06-28-2021, 09:16 AM
D@le Irv*n

I believe the OP is a member here as well and I also believe he has the same/similar thread here too?
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showthread.php?t=1174390
Old 10-31-2021, 01:18 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Reviving this thread as I'm looking into getting a scanner. It appears that the Epson V370 and V550 have been discontinued, but the V600 is available.

Any other thoughts/recommendations would be appreciated! Thanks
Old 10-31-2021, 01:29 PM
J@mes Nonk.es

I picked up the v550 off of eBay used for $100. I have no idea what I’m doing with setting and yet the machine has decided to make very nice scans despite my incompetence. Highly recommend that and I imagine the v600 is just as good or better.
Old 10-31-2021, 01:54 PM

Picked up an Epson Perfection V600 Photo Scanner at my local Best Buy. This thread sold me on it, so made the purchase. Super Happy with the scanner and appreciate all the comments on this thread, made the choice easy!
Old 11-01-2021, 01:00 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Another +1 for the Epson V600. I love mine. It's super easy to use and produces beautiful high-quality scans like the one below.

Old 11-01-2021, 01:21 AM
Travis
Tra,vis Tr,ail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
When I first started using my V550, I thought the colors were too dull and were not accurate to the card that I was scanning. For me it was a simple fix. Using the Epson software, from the main scan screen, choose the "Tone Correction" button (circled in red). Then choose "High Contrast" from the tone-curve menu. The color match was perfect. I tried a bunch of different settings, and just this one change was the best and most accurate.

I do something very similar. The contrast is pretty drab with the default settings. For those who use a Mac, I'd recommend downloading the Epson Scan 2 software for it. This is what my screen looks like. Also worth noting is that there are a couple of ways to adjust the contrast. You can either click on the 'Detailed Adjustment' link and change the 'Tone Correction' from 'Linear' to 'High Contrast' in the pop-up window, or you can just manually adjust the Contrast slider from the Advanced Settings window. I usually set the contrast manually to something like 20 or 25. Here's an example below of the 3 settings side-by-side of the same card. The one on the left is using the defaul contrast settings. The one in the middle is using the 'High Contrast' tone correction like Bliggity suggests above, and the one on the right is using the manual contrast slider adjustment set to 25.

In the Main Settings window, I select 'Scanner Glass' as the Document Source, 'Reflective' as the Document Type, '48-bit Color' as the Image Type, '400 dpi' as the Resolution, and 'Standard' as the Scanning Quality. I keep the defaul settings for Color Management with 'Display Gamma' at 2.2, the 'Continuous auto exposure' box selected, and the Auto Exposure Level set to medium.

Last edited by Snowman; 11-01-2021 at 02:05 AM.
Old 11-01-2021, 05:59 AM
Lonnie Nagel

Still a big fan of the Canoscan 9000F -

#041 Stobbs PSA 6 - EXMT

Last edited by toledo_mudhen; 11-01-2021 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-05-2021, 02:01 PM
mĒttHǝɯ h0uℊℌ

Thank you for the many helpful replies. I decided to go with the V600.

I have a related question: what might you recommend for cleaning off dust/surface imperfections on a slab? I recall reading a thread about it on here at some point, but my searches came up empty...
Old 11-05-2021, 02:35 PM
Lonnie Nagel

I have been using this for several years - from minor polishing to deep scratches - works great!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/271699457867
Old 11-05-2021, 02:40 PM
Ian H@ll

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry View Post
Thank you for the many helpful replies. I decided to go with the V600.

I have a related question: what might you recommend for cleaning off dust/surface imperfections on a slab? I recall reading a thread about it on here at some point, but my searches came up empty...
I use an extra microfiber cloth meant for cleaning eye-glasses
Sold to: Sean1125, sayitaintso, IgnatiusJReilly, hockeyhockey, mocean, wondo, Casey2296, Belfast1933, Yoda, Peter_Spaeth, hxcmilkshake, kaddyshack, OhioCardCollector, Gorditadogg, Jay Wolt, ClementeFanOh, JollyElm, EddieZ, 4reals, uyu906