NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-31-2022, 12:35 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Default Selling my collection

A few months ago I posted a question about how best to sell my 1933-1980 sets collection.
I then decided to send my incomplete sets, 1933 Goudey-1953 Topps to Greg Morris cards. (I'd be very happy to share my experience with those thinking of doing the same.)
I haven't decided what to do with my 1953 Bowman - 1980 Topps sets. My inkling is to sell complete sets or the whole kit n' kaboodle. These are all raw cards collected by me for 55+ years, all in albums. Conditions start at VG+ and range up to NMT.

Thoughts, recommendations and requests are requested.

Thanks, Bob Bannon

Last edited by biggies; 10-31-2022 at 12:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:08 PM
James

Man-wish I saw that 1953 Topps post…….
Old 10-31-2022, 01:16 PM
Nicol0 Pin.oli

Hi Bob, and welcome to the end of the collecting road, at least until you get the itch to jump back in again.

Some big questions in my mind are:

1) how much work you're willing to put into selling it off
2) what your timeline looks like, and
3) how important it is to you to get the absolute top dollar.

If you need the money now, and don't want to spend too much effort on it, then selling to a dealer or through an AH with an auction coming up soon is probably going to be your best bet. Naturally, you may leave some value on the table with this route, although with auction prices continuing to be strong of late, you might not leave too much on the table with that approach.

When it comes to selling low- to mid-grade ungraded sets, I do think that there's always a question as to whether they will get a better price if they are sold off as a single lot for each set, or whether it is better to sell each individual card off on its own. Naturally, this also plays into the questions of speed and required effort. Obviously, once you head down the route of selling pieces off individually, your best pieces will probably sell first, at which point it gets a lot harder to switch gears and sell as a partial set that is missing the best bits, or at least you will probably find the prices are even further discounted.

If you're willing to work hard at it, aren't afraid for it to take a long time, and are determined to get full market price (or as close as possible), then you can try selling it off yourself, through any number of venues, including the Net54 BST boards.

It has been my experience that with sets like yours will often sell at a discount when sold as a complete set, and it's just a question of how big of a discount. At the same time, selling them individually could take years or even decades to sell off absolutely everything if selling pieces individually. And the market could always also move (up or down) during that process.

1968 American Oil left side
1971 Bazooka numbered complete panel

Last edited by raulus; 10-31-2022 at 03:25 PM.
Old 10-31-2022, 01:39 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks!
Old 10-31-2022, 02:00 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Try selling on the BST at a price you would be happy with. Why give away 20% to an auction house if you can do it yourself?
Old 10-31-2022, 02:07 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks Jay
Old 10-31-2022, 03:18 PM
D@n Di.Pao.la

There are also a few members on here that are willing to purchase entire collections such as yours. The only downside is they want pictures (front/back) of the top 10-15 cards in each set....so can take some time. Depending on your location (I know one guy is near NY and the other in AZ) they may be willing to swing by (or vice versa) if there is still interest after a quick call to discuss condition and what $ you are looking for. Good Luck!
Old 10-31-2022, 03:27 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

I'm willing to scan cards, thanks!
Old 10-31-2022, 04:13 PM
Mark Arzoumanian

Default My Thoughts

I would recommend testing two or three auction houses first and see how they serve you. IMHO customer service counts for a lot. I also believe it is worth grading the top five to 10 star cards in each set because anyone who buys your sets (dealer or collector) will want to check out the star cards FIRST. That's just the way it is. Like putting paint on a house you want to sell, you want your sets to look the best they possibly can. Spend some bucks on grading. You won't regret it. My two cents. Take your time in this process and good luck.
Old 11-04-2022, 10:29 AM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2022, 03:22 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

Bob—Before you spend the money for grading, if you are going to consign these to an auction house see if the auction house will pay for the grading. Consigning material is a negotiation—don’t be quick to accept the terms auction houses initially offer. For choice material there is always room for negotiation.
Old 11-04-2022, 03:36 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Agreed you should have the AH take care of the grading if you go that direction. I have always believed grading is a crooked game and have had good luck both in terms of turnaround and grade when going through a reputable auction house. You many also get the advice not to grade them. I had a 1955 Spic n Span Aaron that had some creases but presented nicely. The auction house advised against grading it because the visual appeal was greater than the technical grade and besides some collectors don't want an oversized card in a humongous slab. I don't recall what it went for, but I was happy with the price.
Old 11-05-2022, 10:58 AM
Greg C

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggies View Post
A few months ago I posted a question about how best to sell my 1933-1980 sets collection.
I then decided to send my incomplete sets, 1933 Goudey-1953 Topps to Greg Morris cards. (I'd be very happy to share my experience with those thinking of doing the same.)
I haven't decided what to do with my 1953 Bowman - 1980 Topps sets. My inkling is to sell complete sets or the whole kit n' kaboodle. These are all raw cards collected by me for 55+ years, all in albums. Conditions start at VG+ and range up to NMT.

Thoughts, recommendations and requests are requested.

Thanks, Bob Bannon

Hi Bob. I can assist you
Old 11-10-2022, 09:24 AM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks!

Last edited by biggies; 11-10-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 11-13-2022, 09:48 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

+1 Be careful of sharks swimming the waters, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldjudge View Post
Bob—Before you spend the money for grading, if you are going to consign these to an auction house see if the auction house will pay for the grading. Consigning material is a negotiation—don’t be quick to accept the terms auction houses initially offer. For choice material there is always room for negotiation.
Old 11-15-2022, 02:05 PM
Bob
B0b Bann.on

Thanks!

I think I've already been brushed by a couple of them.