NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Administrator

Default Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep the Leading Graded Card Collector Here?

Posted By: Tom Nieves

Leon,

Jimmy Crandall has announced he will not post here anymore. He is the giant of the graded card industry. Do you plan on doing anything to get him back? You may not care about graded cards but its the future of the hobby and the future seems to be walking away.

Just want to know if anything is being done or if you care?

Tom

Old 04-07-2007, 08:49 AM
Administrator

Default Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep the Leading Graded Card Collector Here?

Posted By: Dave Hornish

Actually, a few others seem to have stopped posting as well.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: James Feagin

I just don't know how we'll survive...

Old 04-07-2007, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

My understanding is Jim voluntarily stopped posting, and that he is always welcome to come back. Is it Leon's place to solicit posters if they choose to take a break?

Old 04-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

are they men......or gods?

and if they are gods, should we worship them?
I'd rather worship my ballcards.

<edited to add additional nonsense>

Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hmmm. There was a thread with almost the exact topic/title started around 4-6 weeks ago on the Net54 Non-sports Vintage Cards board. "What are you going to to to keep the graded card collectors here" or something like that. It was the exact same thing except that it asked about collectors-plural instead of a particular collector.

Interestingly, the parallel thread on the other board was started by Jim Crandall.

I don't think Leon should do one damn thing to keep any particular poster here, just as Tom wouldn't on the other board.

Jim is free to post here as he wishes. Why should any particular person have to have an incentive or special rules made to make posting here more comfortable? If someone were driven off because of things like racism, etc, then I could see it. Not the case here. No one drove him off, and from what I could tell most unpleasantries directed at him were responsive to very controversial statements he had made.

Joann

Edited for spelling - yes Leon, please do keep the editing function available!
Edited for spelling yet a second time. Yep, we need the edit function.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

And when will some computer savvy poster find a You Tube (or whatever it is) link showing Gloria Gaynor sing I Will Survive?

We'll be okay. What exactly did you want him to chime in on that we'll suffer from without his posts?

And if he's the "leading" one, who is following him??

Old 04-07-2007, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve M.

will miss Jim. I always enjoyed his spirited exchanges and while I didn't always agree with him I respected his right to voice his opinions.

It is a shame that some of these threads get so vitriolic. If it continues the board will likely lose more valued posters. That will be our loss.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Adams

Yawn.

Go Go White Sox
2005 World Series Champions!

Old 04-07-2007, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I am neutral. best regards

Old 04-07-2007, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Tom....
Just curious why your on the "Jim Bandwagon"?

What has Jim contributed here but threads defining how to argue with a crowd?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

double yawn.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: JK

almost forgot - "leading graded card collector"

nothing against Jim, from what I can gather, he has a great collection, but is this meant to be serious?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

...was sarcastic in its making and designed to have us all pile on Jim C again. I, for one, won't bite.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: bruce dorskind

Jim Crandall was an important voice in this hobby. His
discriminating taste and quest for perfection certainly
raised the bar for the elite collector.

Whilst many Board Members attacked Jim, primarly because
of jealously and their ignorance in understanding his
appreciation for real quality, we will particularly miss the
fierce debates that Jim inspired.

Sorry to see you go, Jim.

Bruce

Old 04-07-2007, 09:56 AM
Administrator

did Jim die?

Old 04-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

I miss Jay Behrens. He had a lot of knowledge dating back years. He was fun in the chat room too.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Jay's still around. Posts semi-regularly.

Old 04-07-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

I agree with Bruce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8APrYU2Gs

Old 04-07-2007, 10:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat

Steve:

I guess I need to start reading more.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric B

Does any group of collector have a thinner skin than graded ones? The non-sports board also had a couple "giants" in the industry leave because of the mere mention of how grdes and investors have hurt the hobby.

Hell, how knowledgeable can they be if they onlydeal with graded cards. I could be a ming vase expert if I had the cash and relied on the expert knowledge of graders in that industry.

If they can't grow up then they should leave!

Edited (twice) before a response was made.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: B.C.Daniels

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKSE0ou67TI

but Frank How about this instead?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn-enjcgV1o&mode=related&search=

BcD

Old 04-07-2007, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Maybe Jim signed in under Tom's handle. Sigh.

Old 04-07-2007, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brad

<edited to say yawn!>

Old 04-07-2007, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Brad,

I assume your not going to miss him.

Peter

Old 04-07-2007, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

"Jealousy and ignorance?" That generalized statement is ignorant in its own right.

What I won't miss and don't appreciate is the pompous, denigrating comments- as well as the mutual admiration society meetings being conducted on this Board.

I, too, don't mind the spirited debates- but I can do without the right-wing commentary and insensitive, misinformed opinions.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Administrator

Posted By: sagard

Jim has taken leaves from other boards as well in the past. The boards carry on, but they are a little less interesting.

Old 04-07-2007, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Are left-wing opinions somehow inherently more sensitive and better informed?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Administrator

Any insensitive comment is so, regardless of its political bent. But given the recent political history of this country, it's the right-wing (some- not all) ideology on various subjects that is particularly repugnant and contrary to social norms.

Either way, I have not yet seen any left-wing propaganda on this Board (which has been insensitive or otherwise).

Old 04-07-2007, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Hey Bruce...

In absolutely no way am I jealous of Jim, nor of his graded cards. And I'll refrain from suggesting what folks can do with their graded cards...

If Jim was an important voice, I failed to ever hear what he said of importance about true card collecting... which post was that?

I'm not sure what you, or you'all, consider an elite collector. I have my own ideas, and the ones that come to mind didn't have piles of slabbed cards. They hardly have any.

While possibly over self-confident, I think I have some understanding of and an appreciation for real quality, I don't think I suffer "ignorance" in that regard, so I don't think I was jealous because of that...

I do agree that "we will particularly miss the
fierce debates that Jim inspired." You nailed that one.

Jim evidently knew lots about making money, and about buying really high grade slabbed cards, who was not in doubt about his beliefs on card grading. He was vocal and in the forefront in advocating the collection of high grade slabbed old baseball cards. He had strong convictions. And I don't doubt all of those traits remain. I think he'll return one day.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Cobby33,

Sensitive or insensitive all depends on your world view I guess. As to whatever you call "social norms," slavery and then segregation were once such. Fortunately, people did things that were "particularly repugnant and contrary" to the slave-ownering and segregationist interests.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

From Tombstone:

Doc Holliday: Ed, are we not friends anymore? For if we were not friends, I don't know that I could bear it.

Wyatt Earp: I just want you to know it's over between us.
Curly Bill: Well... bye.
Johnny Ringo: Smell that, Bill? Smells like someone died.

Wyatt Earp: So run, you cur... RUN! Tell all the other curs the law's comin'! You tell 'em I'M coming... and hell's coming with me, you hear?... Hell's coming with me!

Digression aside, in answer to the question: nothing, many of us hope.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Interesting segue from Jim not posting to segregation and slavery. Not sure how these digressions develop.

Jim had a good idea but he was not successful in winning people over to his point of view. Many who supported him in the beginning abandoned ship along the way.

Old 04-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: George Dreher

<Either way, I have not yet seen any left-wing propaganda <on this Board (which has been insensitive or otherwise).

I believe in welfare for all and the legalization of marijuana. Does that qualify?

Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe Pelaez

"Interesting segue from Jim not posting to segregation and slavery. Not sure how these digressions develop."
Because they develop just as easy as a scene from SNL.

It was meant as jest ... wasn't it???

Old 04-07-2007, 12:53 PM
Administrator

Not insensitive as long as the food stamps can be used to buy the dope.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan

How about this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EA9gFbvUv0A

Old 04-07-2007, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks Joe. I know you meant that in good cheer and as a sort of olive branch. I appreciate it.

Yes, and as long as it's Friday afternoon, I too believe in the legalization of marijuana. Can we take a board poll on this one?

Old 04-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

I vote yes. Even without a poll.

J

Old 04-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Yes

Old 04-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Administrator

It's already a landslide!

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Guys and Gals,

Yes.

Peter

Old 04-07-2007, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Peter Spaeth

Recognizing it is a nuanced issue, I do not support legalization except for legitimate medical use. I do love the song One Toke Over The Line however.

Old 04-07-2007, 01:58 PM
Administrator

I'll say no. I have a daughter now. ha ha

Old 04-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Legalize it, tax it and use the tax revenue to build more tanks. That will make all sides happy!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:47 PM
Administrator

I know some don't want to legalize it because they have children...but the children have no trouble finding it if they want to, and as a result they are breaking the law and facing felony charges if caught. Wouldn't it be better to take it away from the criminals and put them out of business? Then you would be able to buy it at Wal-Mart's or Chuck E. Cheese and everybody would be happy!

Old 04-07-2007, 02:50 PM
Administrator

barrysloate
(Login barrysloate)
Leon, are You Going to Do Anything to Keep the Leading Graded Card
April 6 2007, 3:52 PM

It's already a landslide!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CX6WHvxTYHs

BcD

Old 04-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Administrator

Barry...with a 18 month old daughter, it's not just marijuana there is a whole slew of things now that I'd be in favor of making illegal. The only thing I do want to keep legal is the being able to bear arms. I'd like to be within the rights of the law when the little punk 16 year old boys start coming to the door and I have my 45 strapped to my side...ha ha

Old 04-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Administrator

"the only thing I want to keep legal"

that tells it all I guess.

BcD

Old 04-07-2007, 03:21 PM
Administrator

I think the problem is I still remember being 16..18..21. I always said I don't know how i'd ever handle having a girl, and that I'd be better off with boys. With a boy my mentality is "let them make their own mistakes"...with a girl, um, no.