NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-13-2008, 06:23 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: raymond g. pasternak

I thought the B&L auction went very well. Outbid emails and auto-bid emails were received very timely. However I did not yet receive a confirmation of winning a lot? Hope everyone is happy this morning, I am!!! Good job S & L.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: leon

We think the auction went well. We are getting with our s/w guy today to go over some operational things. The reason we haven't gotten invoices out is that we have to go over the shipping/insurance on each one. As far as a winning bidder email....I am not sure and will find out today . It was a learning experience for both Scott and I. I will give a better update later.....Rest assured everything will be handled professionally, efficiently and to the best of our abilities. There is another thread started below too, concerning the auction, so eventually we will probably only want 1 thread to talk about it. No different than anything else in that respect. Scott and I will be around all day if anyone would like to call or has any questions. My number is 214-282-4943 and his is 817-688-9499.....thanks again

Old 06-13-2008, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Ed Hans

Hey Leon,
How come I haven't received my lot yet? If it were Barry's or Rob's auction, the cards would've been here by now. (insert smiley here)

Thanks for the terrific auction. Great first effort.

Ed

Old 06-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: JimCrandell

Over? I didn't even know it had started?

I don't pay too close attention to all the posts but don't think it received too much publicity....not like other auctions contucted by posters here.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Joe D.

Jim - didn't you get the catalog?

(sorry Leon - I couldn't resist )

Old 06-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Matt

Leon - once the dust settles, I'd be fascinated to read your thoughts on how things went - including how some of the decisions you guys made impacted the auction in the end.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Jim C -
The auction had a color banner ad with a link that was at the top of the N54 page
that ran for over a month. You didn't see this???

Tony

Old 06-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: T206Collector

...I am happy with my first experience consigning cards to any auction house -- figured this was something worth supporting given the hard work of its founders. I think my lot of 3 autographed Goudey cards went for about what I would expect them to go for -- not so high, but certainly not too low.

All in all, I would definitely go with B&L again for my consignment needs.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for signed pre-war card galleries, articles and more!

Old 06-13-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Look in the upper right corner of the front page of Net54 and you will see the Green banner that says "Auction ends June 12th". It's been there for 2 weeks on every page of the forum. It was in the rotation of banners for the last 3 months. We advertised in SCD, Beckett and Old Cardboard and did email blasts with partners including signing on with VCP.....It was featured in a Beckett interview and was also featured on the Sports Collectors Daily website. We had a 150+ thread about it when we announced it which was on the front page for several days. I am sorry if you didn't catch any of those. You might consider going to register right now and you will receive periodic emails. We hope we have something for you in our next auction. Please let me know if I can be of assistance..take care

ps.....we don't intend to do catalogs until it makes fiscal sense and is warranted. We don't feel a 200+- auction warrants it. We are always open to suggestions and to looking for better ways to serve our customers and friends in the hobby....One thing we tried not to do is smear the board with lots of threads about it. I doubt members want something crammed down their throats..

Old 06-13-2008, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: barrysloate

Jim- you didn't even see the 1933 Sport Kings complete set that Scott and Leon had? Each of the 48 cards was PSA 9, and it went cheap.

I picked it up for $12,000. You don't think I paid too much?

Old 06-13-2008, 09:26 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Rob D.

In all fairness to Jim, I'm sure he's been busy trying to schedule that phone conversation with Doug Allen.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Maybe Jim C is implying that Scott and Leon need to hire Barry as their PR guy.

I think their auction went great. Looking forward to the next one.
Thanks guys!
Greg

Old 06-13-2008, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Kevin Saucier

Found a couple lots I wanted but the confirmation code never got sent after registration.

------------------------------

www.AlteredCards.com - in-depth education on advanced card doctoring techniques & detection with detailed examples

Old 06-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

I know I am very difficult to get a hold of for help in these matters but let me know next time and I will help. I know my email is pretty hard to find too but you could have done that also (just messin' with ya') ...Chances are you either put in a wrong email address (about 5 folks put in an extra letter or a missing one or something...) or the email registration went to your spam folder. The registration is s/w driven so it wasn't a human error on our part.......Sorry about that either way....I can always be reached at 214-282-4943. .......and that number is plastered so many places I can't even count them all.....once again, my apologies and look forward to you participating in our Fall auction...

Old 06-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

A little aftermath of the auction with some learning experiences. These are in no particular order......

1. There is about a 5-10 second lag time in the auction close and the s/w. I think it has to do with refresh rates and there is literally nothing that can be done about it (within this s/w). Someone was high bidder at 9pm and was the only bidder. At 9pm and 6 seconds another bid was placed. This is a s/w issue we didn't know about but do now. We apologize for the inconvenience. That will be something we make known going forward and we are very sorry it happened (and) without us knowing about it.
2. We need to figure out the issue with the max bids not being able to be left. There were about a half a dozen folks with this same issue. I am not sure if it was a button that wasn't being pressed, or what, but we will find out and let folks know.
3. This auction s/w didn't reset after each bid as I thought it would after initial bidding was over. It reset every 15 minutes if there was a bid placed in that previous 15 minutes. We just didn't know that is the way it works. Now we do. The auction ended at 12:30 am which wasn't too bad though an hour earlier might be better.
4. Neither Scott nor myself could place bids for anyone. Same thing with seeing "up to" bids...which is what we want. One bidder asked for me to help and I emailed our s/w provider and he did an up to bid for someone. Scott or I will NEVER be able to see up to bids (on purpose). We have a very "honest" s/w in that respect. Maybe "honest" to a fault though...meaning we need to be able to help bidders when they need it.
5. Our next auction will be 1 week shorter. We don't see the need to have a week of dead space in the auction...and that is basically what that 2nd week was.
6. We found out after the auction was already being put into place that we couldn't close lots individually. If our auction gets to where we hope it does (much larger)we will have to re-evalute our s/w needs....It is not our plan to have all night auctions....
7. We have had a few small issues with unexpected downtime that need to be addressed. Nothing critical but it's slightly disturbing.

Overall we think it went very well, especially for a first auction. As I/we think of more I will edit this post and add to it....but for the moment that's what I can think of..... We have already had many nice emails pointing out our lower fees too.....I guess people do notice....Thanks again to everyone who participated and the general interest shown. Scott and I really appreciate it.

edited one word out to not have incomplete sentence.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: T206Collector

...the only problem I see is that Net54 threads become customer service complaints for the world to see.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Visit http://www.t206collector.com for signed pre-war card galleries, articles and more!

Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

The last thing I remember seeing was that the auction lots were not up yet. I don't look at the banner ads....sorry advertisers.

I feel like I know how many minutes and seconds there are until Barry's auctions end. Was there a post that said your auction was up and going. Boy and I would have paid a fortune for those signed Goudey cards. Greg has a good point on Barry--I am sure he would work cheaply as your pr guy.

Rob--in case you are even part serious I did talk to Doug in person and reported the conversation on this board.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: barry arnold

Leon,

many thanks for getting back to me so quickly via email.
i am absolutely elated that i won my first NON 206 cards via your
Auction. just don't tell the Monster.

congratulations---a super job.

best,

barry

Old 06-13-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

All of the INCORRECT winning invoices did just go out via email with $2000 for shipping....They will have corrected shipping/insurance added to them within a few days. At that time EACH WINNER will need to login to see the actual exact invoice amount. You can print and mail that or you can wait on the USPS one. We will send out an email to registered bidders to check online for your invoice amount after they are corrected. Within the next 3-4 days correct invoices will be put in the USPS mail to all winning bidders.

There was a step in the s/w setup of THIS particular auction that made it where bidders could NOT increase their max bid if they already had one in place. That will NOT be an issue next time.....We were unaware of this until just now....Our apologies for this.

All consignor statements have been emailed (I believe)...If you didn't get one please email me at leonl@flash.net about it.....or the auction email.... I will be checking the auction email but not as frequently as the leonl@flash.net one....

more updates as they come.....

Old 06-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Jim,

I guess I missed your report -- just like you missed all the advertising for Leon's and Scott's inaugural auction.

Best,

Rob

Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Jim- I would work for peanuts, or a hamburger if I got lucky...but I never thought of myself as much of a PR man.

Old 06-13-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Craig W

Thank you Scott & Leon for a very nice first auction. I hope in future auctions you'll continue to have items that those of us on smaller budgets can afford to bid on. Congratulations to whomever won the SGC60 Little Rhody as I ended up the underbidder. I did manage to pick up my first T204.

Old 06-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Scott L

My FIRST ever auction win and my first Sovereign 460. Thanks to Leon and Scott for having material that everybody can afford. I hope that trend continues.

Best,

Scott

Old 06-13-2008, 05:34 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Rob D.

I think you're right--as I said I don't pay too close attention.

Also. B and L Auction probably meant nothing to me--doesn't really roll off your tongue if that is in fact what they call it.

Either way, I think they need a catalog--heck even Barry has a catalogue.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Even Barry?

Was that a compliment?

Old 06-13-2008, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Dave F

Jim, are you trying to be an ass or trying to be funny?

My lone win...and something to make Crandell throw up a little bit.

Old 06-13-2008, 07:02 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Bottom of the Ninth

Barry,

I think it was the best Jim could do after Lehman's announcement regarding Q2 losses.

Greg

Old 06-13-2008, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

I don't think he meant any harm. It was just one of those things that didn't come out right.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Barry,

Didn't mean it to sound like that--sorry.

No Dave--you are the only Alpharetta ass on this board.You're right--that is a crappy looking card.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Rawn Hill

It reminds me now of a third grade fight over a teachers attention, I'm so sick of this.

Rawn

Old 06-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Alan

Rawn - Don't take these threads too seriously.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Rawn Hill

After only a short time here, I have learned that important lesson. Just frustrates me that this love of baeball and all things associated with it has taken a sad turn for the worst.

I left the hobby 20 years ago because of the over marketing of the products and the sheer greed of the "dealers", guess it's about time to go back to sorting out the shoe boxes again.

Remember the smell of those cards..........the gum, the attic aroma, you could almost smell the leather of the gloves, this is why I collect.

Rawn

Old 06-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

I agree with whoever said keep offering cards for smaller budgets, as you'll probably get some of my money that way. I think having a wide variety of cards on different price levels is key to success. It gives you a much wider audience. While I didn't bid on any cards this time around, there were a few that sparked my interest. If not for other budget concerns, I would have placed a few bids. Keep it up with the cheaper stuff!

Old 06-14-2008, 01:23 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: davidcycleback

Those who buy inexpensive lots today sometimes buy expensive lots tomorrow. It's good to get their loyalty today.

Old 06-14-2008, 02:09 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Dustan Hedlin

David knows the deal. Get me while I'm cheap. I'm still young....in a few years I'll be getting the D304 Cobb I've come to love in the short time I've been collecting pre-war. Hell, I'm only 26. I'm getting there.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: James Loewke

Hi Leon, I will pay the $2000 s/h fee, if I can use paypal!

Old 06-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Make it $3000 ......we are hoping to have the invoices done early today....I will post send out an email to registered bidders....

Old 06-14-2008, 08:50 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Steve

Congrats on your first auction Leon and Scott.

Steve

Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Jerry

Nice auction but I forgot you were in Texas and got the dreaded 8.25% sales Tax added. I haven't paid Tax on a card in many years. I guess my BL hammer will be in the Sotheby's range now.
Anyway I'm happy with my pick-up
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Leon,

I just received an e-mail stating that correct invoices are now available online, but you'd better double-check the shipping totals. I was the high bidder on one card, and the shipping and handling is $5. I know that cannot be correct, because I typically am charged $10-$20 by auction houses to ship a single card.

Thanks.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

It is correct. We stated low shipping charges and we meant it....I think folks will be happy....Remember, we participate in lots of auctions every week too. We don't charge for our tape either. There is one very large company that I have to call after every auction about the outrageous shipping charges...and I am getting really tired of it...but that's for another thread.......If anyone has any questions about anything my leonl@flash.net email is a little better than the auction one but I am checking it too....take care and thanks again

edited typo

Old 06-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

We have a Texas tax ID # as we are near Dallas....sorry about that. But we have to report it to the Texas Comptroller...as you know. We are doing the best we can...take care

Old 06-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Leon. I wasn't blaming you for the Tax. I know you don't have any control over that.
I'll just have to keep the Tax in mind next time, no big deal.
Well run auction for inaugral trip.

Old 06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

When I win in Heritage I feel the pain too....thanks for your kind words

Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Dan Koteles

nice pickup and if I had extra money it would have been mine, but nevertheless............great job !

Old 06-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Thanks Dan
I love the Image
I was underbidder on the New Cubs Postcard also. I was unsure about making a increase to my auto-bid when I was already the highbidder and ended up losing it.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Iggy.

Whoa, Nelly! Not to sound like a broken record, but I had been out of town and just checked my auction winnings. I won Lot 42 which had fifteen graded T206 card....and shipping was only $8! Great job on the auction guys!!!

Lovely Day...

Old 06-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Eric

Love the shipping fees. Imagine that. Reasonable shipping charges. What a concept!

The 12.5% BP is another HUGE plus.

Thanks Leon and Scott for a wonderful first auction.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Alan

Leon/Scott -

Mazel Tov on your first auction !!! If I wasn't such a poor slob, I might have been able to win that 1936 R313 National Chicle Hank Greenberg card.

Alan

Old 06-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction

Posted By: Jimmy Muscarella

Just wondering if the winner of the 1921 Exhibits near set is a board reader...if so, send me an email if any are for sale or trade. Thanks.