NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Administrator

Default Is this the Wagner Rookie?

Posted By: Jay

I know there will be mixed opinions, but lets hear what people have to say.

[linked image]

Old 01-17-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan McHugh IV

Yes and MY GOD it is BEAUTIFUL!!! Awesome piece to have!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

It's earlier than any known Wagner cards, but would people consider it a card in the traditional sense? That would be the argument.

Old 01-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

Not a card, a premium, but a great piece indeed!

Old 01-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

not a card.

a cool piece though - beautiful!

Old 01-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

it looks like Unglaub. Everyone always think they see a HOF player in every picture..... happy.gif
Great looking piece. The definition of what a "card" is under challenge in the hobby - in part by our changing perceptions -and in part by inference and assimilation as a result of what the grading companies are grading as cards. As for this - it's clearly a premium/suppliment and would be more akin to a print than to a card.... GAI will most likely grade it though. Monday..... I would simply call it a superior early image.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
Administrator

In all honesty, I'm not sure where I fall on the arguement as to whether this is a rookie card or not, but didn't someone put together a formula for determining what each HOFers' rookie card was, and weren't M101-1 type cards involved in that process?

Henry--BTW, GAI was set up at the White Plains show this weekend.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Prizner

thin paper stock correct?

not really a card (and thus not a rookie card) but very cool.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

To add to the discussion, here is the write-up from a past REA auction lot containing the M101-1 Wagner.

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/auction/2007/120.html

Old 01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy

Yes, this is his Rookie, but No, this is not his Rookie card...

~ Jeremy ~

Old 01-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

if you weren't kidding - details? Bought out? Bankrupt? I have an N28 "6" card SWIMMING in a holder I'd like them to explain someday happy.gif

Old 01-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

you can actually see individual hairs on his head!

There were no actual rookie cards before 1951. I say that because it seems that all the fights are about cards before that date.

Old 01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

What was the final consenses on this card?...if there was one. Was it determined to be 19th century or not.

reccius.jpg

Old 01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I've never seen one before. Size?

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lyman

I realize that I may be in the minority here, but I tend to view supplements, pins, silks, leathers, etc. as "cards." Afterall, Jefferson Burdick did when he listed all of these in the American Card Catalog.

No matter what you call it, the M101-1 Wagner is certainly an impressive piece.

Lyman

Old 01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Adam, Hal owned that piece and I believe it was postcard size if I remember correctly.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Administrator

I see a very large debate right around 1951 and after, Is the Mantle rookie card 1951 Bowman or 1952 Topps? Seems very obvious which it should be.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 PM
Administrator

I think the general feeling on the Reccius is it was likely issued later than 1897. Nobody knew for sure and that was the problem.

Old 01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ken Wirt

I'm with Lyman. Beautiful large rookie card!

Old 01-17-2009, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

Rookie 'Card' or not it is simply magnificent! Thanks for sharing!

Marty
Old 01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Misunderestimated (Brian H)

My general sense is that its not a "card" but there is case that can be made that if someone (i.e. a grading company) will put it in a holder, authenticate it and grade it, then its a card.

Doesn't Beckett make something that would hold this one....

Old 01-17-2009, 03:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

The supplement is not a card. At 8 3/4 x 11, it is closer to a poster.

Great item though.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Jay:

That is an awesome Wagner piece, I wish I owned it!!!

The M101-1's were issued during 1899-1900 using portraits which were produced in 1898-1899 by the National Copper Plate Co. out of Michigan for their own baseball player release in the form of 50 portfolio portraits. The NCP's were also premium sized items measuring approximately 10" X 13" as compared to the 8 3/4" X 11" M101-1's size. Since both issues would be considered premiums, the NCP would have to be considered the earlier "Rookie" piece and the M101-1 would be the second ever item picturing Wagner individually in a Major League uniform. Of course, that assumes that the unique Henry Reccius card was not issued during 1897-99 as originally believed.

By the way, I do own an M101-1 Wagner that is even scarcer than yours, it is a 1/1 Die-Cut version which has been encapsulated by Beckett. Here it is........

[linked image]

Old 01-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael Steele

I echo the thoughts above, magnificent item no matter if it is considered a "rookie" or not or a "card" or not.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Can the largest Becket holder fit the 8-3/4 x 11 supplement?

Something like the M101-1 Wagner would look great mounted and framed and hanging on the wall.

Old 01-17-2009, 04:24 PM
Administrator

After my earlier post a little while ago, I just did some quick research and I see that the M101-1's are listed in the 2009 Standard Catalogue as having a glossy-type paper finish and the National Copper Plates do not mention the type of paper finish that they were printed on. Does anyone have examples of each to compare the paper?

Old 01-17-2009, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Phil--I think the National Copperplates and the Sporting News cards are printed on similar paper. However, there is one large difference. National Copperplate cards could be ordered in a portfolio as a set; Sporting News cards were only available once, when the particular issue of TSN came out. Sporting News cards are dated, National Copperplate are not. I believe that Sporting News cards are scarcer and more difficult to find in nice shape.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

[linked image]

Here's a National Copperplate of Nichols. I have the M101-1 Cobb/Wagner but it's framed. I think the M101-1 may be slightly thicker stock than the Copperplate.

Yes, Jay, the Wagner/Cobb is an M101-2. Brain cramp on my part.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Bruce--Isn't the Cobb/Wagner an M101-2?

Old 01-18-2009, 04:43 AM
Administrator

My main reason for asking about any differences in the type of paper used is because my trimmed Wagner could possibly be from either issue as the trimmed portion I have is identical in appearance in both cases. As for scarcity, I have seen fewer of the NCP's than M101-1's on ebay/auction houses over the past few years with the exception of Kid Nichols NCZP which seems to be more plentiful than most others for some reason (unless the exact same piece has been sold several times).

Old 01-18-2009, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The Supplement isn't a card....silly rabbits. It's a great image though...I think they can be collected like cards just like felts, pins, silks etc...that have great player images. But none of those are "cards"....imnsho....(in my no so humble opinion)

Old 01-18-2009, 07:38 AM
Administrator

Leon--Like I said previously, I'm not sure how I fall on this one. However, if these are not cards then are Boston Garters cards? Are schedules with players pictures on one side cards? Are tickets with players pictures on one side cards? Beats me.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

If it is in the ACC, I think it is pretty safe to say it is a card...

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I agree with Leon -- it's not a card, it's a collectible. A 'card' is something you can at least hold in the palm of your hand. Exhibits, postcards...hmm...yes, I'd say they are cards. T3? Tougher call.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Jay- as you surely know in an earlier era it was easy to determine what a card was: Old Judges, Allen & Ginters, T206, Goudey, Topps, Bowman, to name a few , have always been baseball cards and have never been disputed.

Back then Peck & Snyders were trade cards, Boston Garters would have been considered advertising cards, and almost everything oversized would be termed something else.

But now almost everything is considered a baseball card, and subsequently slabbed, because it is worth so much more money. It's not any more complicated than that.

If 20 years ago you debated whether your Wagner premium was a baseball card, it would have been laughable. Today, it falls into that gray area.

But the market can also be a determinant. A Wagner rookie from the turn-of-the-century could easily be worth well into five figures. If you auctioned your piece off, it would probably realize a fraction of that. Perhaps that would give you a fair indication of whether or not the market accepted it as a baseball card or as a premium.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:31 AM
Administrator

As you know there is no definitive, absolute definition of a card. You can call your Newspaper Supplement a bathtub for all I care. Calling this a baseball card won't make it one though....but it's always a good debate. For the record I do think Boston Garter's are cards, how do I know? Because when I pick one up it is made out of cardboard and feels like a card. Try picking your piece of paper up by one end and see what it does. As I said, I do think they can be collected as "cards" if someone wants to. This is only my opinion...everyone has one........take care my friend

Old 01-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Administrator

Let's go back to Jay's original question and if you agree that it is, let's just call it a Honus Wagner Rookie or earliest Wagner collectible picturing him individually in a Major League uniform. This eliminates the ongoing debate about what constitutes a card and I don't think it was the purpose of Jay's original question anyway.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Administrator

Leon--You raise an interesting point that, if you don't mind, I would like to pursue. If thickness is a determinant of whether something is a card then it should be noted that the M101-1s are closer in thickness to an N167 than an N167 is to an N172. Personally, I don't think thickness or rigidity can be part of the definition. If something is too thin to be a card can something else be too thick to be a card? I think the definition of a card might be based on size, method of distribution, and purpose for its issuance. Should a store display piece be a card? If not, is a Boston Garter a card? If yes, I have seen large cardboard beer signs in the local liquor store with players pictures on them. Are these cards? My bank used to give out calendars which were the size of Topps cards with Derek Jeter's picture on one side. Are these cards? If not, why are schedules with player's pictures on one side cards? Don't get me wrong on this; I'm not trying to convince anyone that M101-1s are cards. I love them as collectibles because they represent the earliest representations of many players and because they have neat bios on the back. Whether they are called cards or not will not change my feeling about them one iota.

Old 01-18-2009, 08:58 AM
Administrator

This is a good debate. There is no definitive answer to your question though. As Barry has said....the market does dictate some things. It's beyond you or I. I know if I go to sell, or buy, a Boston Garter then the price is around what I would pay for a card. I have as much vested interest in other things as almost anyone. The S74 silk I recently got, of Cobb with a Helmar back, was quite expensive...but I don't think I would call it a card...and the market has priced it close to what a "card" would be. I just don't think Supplements are cards...and rigidity isn't the sole determining factor it was just one factor I used for one bit of criteria. regards

edited to add a comment to what you said....."I think the definition of a card might be based on size, method of distribution, and purpose for its issuance."

I think those are some other good criteria you point out.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 AM
Administrator

Jay- you've kind of answered your own question: we can't really agree anymore on what a baseball card is. There are too many variables, and I preferred it when a 1952 Topps clearly was but a magazine premium clearly wasn't. Now it's more difficult to tell.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Barry-M101-1s in VG of common players tend to sell for $250-$300. That is comparable to Old Judges of common players. In that respect they are priced comparably to cards. Common HOFers of M101-1s tend to sell for roughly $1000, again in line with common Old Judges. Therefore, I think the marketplace, at least for commons and common HOFers is calling M101-1s cards. I only remember one Wagner (and I can't recall a Young) selling at auction in the last few years. You know the market better than I do, but I don't think there is really much data as to what a Young or Wagner M101-1 would sell at individually in an auction.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:21 AM
Administrator

I knew one of the Boston Garters had a factual implication as to it being a card.....So, if the card in question, says it's a card on the card itself...then I think that can be a good criteria for it being a card happy.gif ....take care (right below the 2 prices, near top middle, is a paragraph stating this is a card!!)

[linked image]

Old 01-18-2009, 09:22 AM
Administrator

I don't know what an M101-1 Wagner would sell for either. But if you put one in an auction along with an E107 Wagner, more rightly considered the rookie card, I think you would see a huge disparity in price.
Now of course this experiment would not be the last word on the subject, merely one way to gauge it.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Barry--Personally, I think the order for Wagner rookie would be the M101-1 and then the W600. Didn't the W600 come before 1903?

Old 01-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Administrator

The W600 was right around 1903, but they were issued for many years and I'm not sure.

But we have the same argument- is W600 a baseball card? It kind of is, but you won't get total agreement.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Jay - I believe that the W600 Wagner was issued as early as 1902 so it could have predated the E107.

Phil - I used to own that M101-1 cut Wagner. It is an M101-1. Not a Copper Plate

I used to own an M101-1 Young. I think I sold it in the $2-2.5k range.

There was an M101-1 Wagner that sold in an auction maybe a couple of years ago. It was part of a bigger lot that sold in the $12-14k range if I remember correctly. The Wagner was pulled out of the lot and the rest was reauctioned (balance of lot included maybe 2-3 HOFers) and brought in the $5-6k range. I think the Wagner is worth in the $6-8k range today, or maybe a little less if the Dow drops to 7k :D

For what it's worth, I don't think M101-1s are cards. They are fantastic pieces though, I would would love to have that Wagner in my non-card collection!

Old 01-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Administrator

I think I have beaten this dead horse more than necessary. I guess the easy thing would have been just to ask HOF rookie collectors what card, if money was no object, they would consider to be the rookie card of Young, Wagner, etc and see what their answers were. After all, like I said, it makes no difference to me, just interested in the discussion.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Richard

Wagner - E107
Young - Just So

If money was no object.

Old 01-18-2009, 09:51 AM
Administrator

At least you got an answer about Boston Garters being cards.....Thanks for the discussion on a quiet Sunday morning....

Old 01-18-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator

Leon--I just thought you were kidding. Just because they call it a card on the ad piece (they also call it a picture) doesn't mean it is what we are calling a baseball card. My first impression on reading that was that card was used like placard, meaning an advertising sign.