NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 03-02-2010, 09:20 AM
Graig Kreindler

Default March pick-ups!!

Hey all,

I can't believe I'm actually starting this thread!!! I guess I was just so excited by my most recent reference purchase that I had to pull the trigger.

I won this baby off of a Legendary eBay auction a day or two ago:

The image is of Hank Greenberg before the top of the 4th inning during the 5th game of the 1940 World Series. He had hit a three-run homer into deep left field about ten minutes prior.

This was actually the original 4"x5" negative of a photo I fell in love with a while back. I think the first time I saw it was in Ken Burns' documentary, but I had never been able to track down a copy of any sorts. The image of any ballplayer tipping his cap to the crowd is just too Rockwellian for me to pass up!

Now, I'm hoping that the actual negative isn't as over-exposed as the scan, as I've seen the following Type 1 in one of Henry Yee's auctions:

I guess we'll see when it arrives! And 'yes', this will be a painting for darn sure.

Now, let's see yours!!

Graig
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 AM
Joe Jesselli

I was lucky enough to get to a few games at Tiger Stadium. Pictures like that really make me miss it. There was nothing like hearing the crack of the bat in that place when the stands were near-empty.

Here's one of my latest acquisitions, a souvenir knife from the 1914 World Series. The Braves are on the other side. I've always thought it was neat and it doesn't turn up too often, and lawdy it'd better not be a fake, I pray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg aknife.jpg (59.2 KB, 1060 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:15 PM

Not exactly a March pickup as I found this interesting plaque from Yankee Stadium on EBAY about a month ago...anyone ever seen something like this before?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg plaque.jpg (43.5 KB, 1030 views)
Old 03-02-2010, 01:36 PM

Those markers were, I believe, set in the sidewalk around the Stadium.
If you ever decide to sell, please let me know!
Old 03-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Thanks very much for the info, David. I really appreciate it.

Frank
Old 03-02-2010, 06:06 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Graig...
That Greenberg image is a stunner. Cannot wait to see ther impending masterpiece!

Joseph...
No worries on the A's/Braves Knife (it's real). I was watching that one for a long time, and had my finger on the trigger a couple of times. Never quite pulled it, so I am glad it went to a good home!

I was able to acquire this epic statue from Hunt's over the weekend.... it a genuine Muller Batter from 1868. One of the first baseball statues ever created, and a super rare piece. Being a collector of this figural stuff (and as rarely as these come along) I was praying to land either this one or the Pitcher, which I believe to be even more scarce. Apparently the participating bidders thought so too!

Some interesting prices realized at Hunts... some were very high, but lots of great deals as well. I know the dreadful weather probably kept some potential live bidders away. Any other Hunt winners- please post!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Muller.jpg (77.8 KB, 981 views)
Old 03-04-2010, 11:40 PM
Rob Sl@+kin

Hi Graig...

I have this photo of a young Willie Mays tipping his cap at a spring training game before the 1954 season. I thought you might enjoy seeing it.

Robert >>

Last edited by Robbie; 08-12-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Phil Garry

Default 1865 Leslie's Illustrated Woodcut

Picked this one up in the recent B & L Auction. Since it was produced in 1865 and pictures Henry Chadwick on the far right at center, it marks one of the earliest possible Chadwick collectibles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chadwick_Henry_1865.jpg (38.5 KB, 266 views)
Old 03-25-2010, 06:55 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

WOW Keith...

Those are some jaw-dropping pieces you picked up recently. I can't even imagine where you found those things, but they're truly stunning. That Batwing Noseguard is especially incredible.

Your posts always make me want to foray into football, but my wallet tells me to stay far away (and so far I've had the sense to listen and obey it).

Collecting one sport is more than damaging enough. But your posts are like the old cartoons, where the aroma of a fresh baked pie coaxes you over (in the form of an inviting finger) to try a bite. Irresistable stuff!
Old 03-26-2010, 09:45 AM
Joe

Keith - Fantastic pick ups. Love the noseguard and the wealth of various items in that scrapbook is incredbile. If you're ever looking to part with one of those tintypes, I'd be interested . Where do you find all these items? You always seem to dig up an array of very interesting items.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:03 AM

Default pickups

Thanks guys,
All but the poster, were ebay pickups. The poster was acquired at an estate auction. I will send you an email about the tintypes later today.
Old 03-26-2010, 08:20 PM

Default Cubs Plate

Photobucket

9 1/2" diam.
Great stuff Keith...you're really cleaning up, good job. Above my little pick up I better hoist before March ends..Got on eBay, seller said it dates to 1949....but I dunno..can anyone here date it? I recently posted a Heisman dinner plate as my Sports Antique of the Week you can see here

Photobucket

Photobucket