NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-06-2023, 06:12 AM

Default Greg Morris Cards - A tiny, insignificant and petty rant

I love buying from GMC - one of the best dealers in raw vintage out there, if not THE best - extremely fair grading - seems to favor the collector, actually.

I have put together a 68 and 67 set in part thanks to GMC and am working on a 66.

I will keep going with GMC forever - absolutely love them!

BUT - good Lord, sometimes I think they're still using the pony express to get cards east through the Rockies, over the plains and across the Mississippi to the eastern seaboard!

I know they must do a huge business and shipping must be chaotic at times, but man!

But, never mind that - I will continue to do business with them until the end of my collecting days!
Old 04-06-2023, 07:53 AM
Tim Odeen

I hear ya. I just bought something online last week through a different vendor that qualified for two day shipping since I spent more than $100. Two day shipping should have been Saturday (April 1) or Monday. But here we are at Thursday of the following week. Tracking doesn't even show its in my hometown.

Sent from my SM-G9900 using Tapatalk
Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo

Last edited by todeen; 04-06-2023 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:01 AM
Steve Birmingham

I doubt either business controls the post office.
Old 04-06-2023, 08:50 AM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve B View Post
I doubt either business controls the post office.
I don't need my item quickly, I bought planning ahead. Vendor sent it FedEx; I do very little business with them. But I've generally had good results with USPS. If it's at day 5-6 in shipping, it's because the vendor didn't send it 2 day. I'm in Spokane which is the regional hub for all USPS shipping in Eastern WA. If they shipped two day with USPS, it would have flown into Spokane and I would have had it in 2-3 days.

Successful deals with: Banksfan14, Brianp-beme, Bumpus Jones, Dacubfan (x5), Dstrawberryfan39, Ed_Hutchinson, Fballguy, fusorcruiser (x2), GoCalBears, Gorditadog, Luke, MikeKam, Moosedog, Nineunder71, Powdered H20, PSU, Ronniehatesjazz, Roarfrom34, Sebie43, Seven, and Wondo
Old 04-06-2023, 08:52 AM
Larry More.y

I order frequently from GM... I also appreciate the quality of the cards. IMO, the delays in shipping appear to be the USPS on the surface. However, the use of a scan form (see below) can cause a buyer to presume that the USPS has taken possession of the mailing. But, this may not be the case.

Below is one example of a recent order of mine. I paid on Tues Feb 14, a label was created on Wed Feb 15. On Feb 15, my order appeared on their daily scan form and was scanned that day. Not until the Tues Feb 21 does the USPS show they actually accepted the package.

As I ship using the USPS scan form also, I realize that if my pickup is late in the day, the note "shipment received acceptance pending" will show for the date the form was scanned, but the mailings will not show as an origin acceptance until the following day.

When a label is created through ebay's 'buy labels in bulk" option, once created it will appear on that day's scan form. When I ship, my carrier scans my scan form barcode and takes my bin of mailings. He would have no idea if any of the mailings in the bin are actually the mailings that are on the scan form or not.

When the message "shipment received acceptance pending" appears with tracking, this satisfies ebay's shipping turnaround expectation.

So in my example, the USPS physically took possession of the mailing on either Mon Feb 20 or Tues Feb 21, not Wed Mar 15 as that was only the day that the mailing appears on the scan form. Once the mailing shows as "origin acceptance", it arrives within expected delivery time windows. The delay in shipment movement from Feb 15 through Feb 20/21 is not caused by the USPS.

Personally, I dont care how long it takes to ship (within reason), I appreciate the quality....I will gladly wait a few extra days for them to ship in exchange for their quality.
Attached Images
File Type: png 3.3.png (25.7 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg SCAN-FORM-IMAGE.jpg (88.6 KB, 378 views)
Old 04-06-2023, 12:05 PM

Can you imagine 400,000.00 orders shipped everyday…..I can wait the 5 to 6 days for things to actually ship. Not against you but it seems everybody is in the “I want my stuff now mode”……the poor USPS worker must hate his job seeing the mountain of cards everyday……

Last edited by Elberson; 04-06-2023 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2023, 12:24 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Can you imagine 400,000.00 orders shipped everyday…..I can wait the 5 to 6 days for things to actually ship. Not against you but it seems everybody is in the “I want my stuff now mode”……the poor USPS worker must hate his job seeing the mountain of cards everyday……
This. I also imagine, if they don't have a special dedicated vehicle just to pick up GM's cards, I imagine there is a truck, daily, maybe 2, that delivers padded envelopes and other wares as well.

I've purchased numerous cards from GM and I wait approximately a month before I receive them. It is just something I have gotten used to, and with the border crossing/international shipping, I completely understand it.

It is certainly hard at times, not going to lie, awaiting a special card to arrive, but it is what it is.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:26 PM
Charles Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elberson View Post
Seriously, how does that even work? Does the USPS have to hire several extra people just for GM's volume?

I have bought more from GM than any other source a wide volume, but yeah, it can be slow going sometimes.
Old 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Tim Odeen

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post
I order frequently from GM... I also appreciate the quality of the cards. IMO, the delays in shipping appear to be the USPS on the surface. However, the use of a scan form (see below) can cause a buyer to presume that the USPS has taken possession of the mailing. But, this may not be the case.

Below is one example of a recent order of mine. I paid on Tues Feb 14, a label was created on Wed Feb 15. On Feb 15, my order appeared on their daily scan form and was scanned that day. Not until the Tues Feb 21 does the USPS show they actually accepted the package.

As I ship using the USPS scan form also, I realize that if my pickup is late in the day, the note "shipment received acceptance pending" will show for the date the form was scanned, but the mailings will not show as an origin acceptance until the following day.

When a label is created through ebay's 'buy labels in bulk" option, once created it will appear on that day's scan form. When I ship, my carrier scans my scan form barcode and takes my bin of mailings. He would have no idea if any of the mailings in the bin are actually the mailings that are on the scan form or not.

When the message "shipment received acceptance pending" appears with tracking, this satisfies ebay's shipping turnaround expectation.

So in my example, the USPS physically took possession of the mailing on either Mon Feb 20 or Tues Feb 21, not Wed Mar 15 as that was only the day that the mailing appears on the scan form. Once the mailing shows as "origin acceptance", it arrives within expected delivery time windows. The delay in shipment movement from Feb 15 through Feb 20/21 is not caused by the USPS.

Personally, I dont care how long it takes to ship (within reason), I appreciate the quality....I will gladly wait a few extra days for them to ship in exchange for their quality.
this was a nice summary. Obviously the H in S&H has to be considered.

I order from the Reds a couple times every year. And their handling of my package makes me think that they send packages to ship every 3 days. So taking that into consideration, that can effect your shipping time significantly, especially if you order on a Friday or Saturday. It might not even get to a carrier until 5 days later.

Old 04-06-2023, 04:06 PM
Bob C.

Not wanting to disparage what any of have said about GM's supposed slow shipping sometimes, but did/have any of you ever bothered to read and pay attention to the topic of combined shipping in the FAQ section of all GM's listings on Ebay? It pretty clearly states that they offer combined flat S&H rates to the U.S. and Canada for all cards won WITHIN A SEVEN (7) DAY PERIOD. And since they seem to list tons of cards on Ebay pretty much every day, to be able to offer such a service to ALL their customers, and because they likely have many people winning multiple cards from them over multiple days quite a bit, they pretty much have to automatically wait a week or so after you've initially won something from them to see if you end up winning any more of their cards. That way they can combine and ship your winnings so as to SAVE YOU MONEY on combined S&H charges.

But not a one of you people posting seems to have recognized (or comprehended) this actually very good thing they do to help and potentially benefit their customers. Good lord, you have a seller that pretty much does a great job in everyone's opinion, yet they still get criticized for doing something for their overall customer's benefit. Damned if you do, and damned if you don't it seems. Wow, just wow!
Old 04-06-2023, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savedfrommyspokes View Post

This is interesting information.

For comparison, when I order from Burbank it isn't unusual to receive cards in 5 or 6 days, COMC (when they actually ship) is just as quick.

Like I said - I will order from GMC until the end of my collecting days. It was just something I noticed about their shipping.