NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-11-2020, 03:51 PM
Jimmy Motz

Default New SGC updates

Does anyone think the latest SGC updates are beneficial? The Seller ready photos wasn't necessary too me at least not before updating the registry. I still cant enter the new cert #'s. The POP report doesn't seem all that great either
Old 06-11-2020, 03:53 PM

My biggest gripe with them right now is that I'm on day 71 of a 20 day sub.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2020, 05:01 PM

SGC’s new pop report is complete dogshit. It sucks, I hate it, and I am considering crossing $2mm worth of cards from SGC flips to PSA bc I can no longer use their pop report for my collection.

I can no longer search by player, only set. So I search W600 and it says no matches. I need to put in sporting life, and then I get a zillion variations. I can’t put in t206 Johnson. I have to put in t206 and then I get all back variations - what if I just want all T206 Johnson’s? Their how-to video uses 2000 Topps as the example- fuck 2000 Topps. What about giving an example of a card that has no card number? You think people want a 2000 Topps card in an SGC flip? NO! What about what SGC is known for - the old and rare?

SGC - I like your grading and flips better than any other company. But your new pop report is totally useless, and worse than useless. I am inclined to cross all my cards to PSA bc now I have no idea what the damn population is!! At least I can find that easy on PSA.

SGC- please put back the old pop report ASAP and fix the mess you created.

Ryan Hotchkiss

Last edited by Rhotchkiss; 06-11-2020 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:10 PM

Default I like sgc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
SGC’s new pop report is complete dogshit. It sucks, I hate it, and I am considering crossing $2mm worth of cards from SGC flips to PSA bc I can no longer use their pop report for my collection.

I can no longer search by player, only set. So I search W600 and it says no matches. I need to put in sporting life, and then I get a zillion variations. I can’t put in t206 Johnson. I have to put in t206 and then I get all back variations - what if I just want all T206 Johnson’s? Their how-to video uses 2000 Topps as the example- fuck 2000 Topps. What about giving an example of a card that has no card number? You think people want a 2000 Topps card in an SGC flip? NO! What about what SGC is known for - the old and rare?

SGC - I like your grading and flips better than any other company. But your new pop report is totally useless, and worse than useless. I am inclined to cross all my cards to PSA bc now I have no idea what the damn population is!! At least I can find that easy on PSA.

Ryan Hotchkiss

This is a little dramatic don’t you think? I don’t look at the pop charts and am sure you have great points. Why not reach out to sgc ownership and let them know you’re concerns vs airing a laundry list of grievances on a chat board. I think you should go ahead and cross all you’re cards to psa. Good luck with that. They are a dumpster fire.

I believe I have Dave’s contact info in you want to pm me. He’s pretty accessible.

Happy collecting

Toby Petersen

Last edited by bigfish; 06-11-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 05:16 AM
Ron Kornacki - Uncle Nacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
This is a little dramatic don’t you think? I don’t look at the pop charts and am sure you have great points. Why not reach out to sgc ownership and let them know you’re concerns vs airing a laundry list of grievances on a chat board. I think you should go ahead and cross all you’re cards to psa. Good luck with that. They are a dumpster fire.

I believe I have Dave’s contact info in you want to pm me. He’s pretty accessible.

Happy collecting

Toby Petersen
I don't think Ryan is at all being dramatic. The registry and population report is very important to many competitive collectors. There are SGC employees that see these types of posts and it's probably a quicker way of setting a fire under their feet, than talking to a random customer service person that is trying to make you happy enough to just get you off the phone and your complaints get tossed into a random pile and probably never followed up on because they know there's so many other things that are more important to do.

A few years ago, their registry and population report were operational and not extremely terrible but they decided to basically freeze it for a long time. I don't know the exact length of time but it seemed like it was around 2 years. Just by them freezing that information, caused many to question their loyalty with SGC. But they made a fancy futuristic web page saying the wait would be so worth it. It made you feel like, wow, finally this area will be given the respect it deserves. And then it goes live and it only partially works. Absolutely nothing futuristic about anything. The population report just had a different layout that pulled information from the same database files as before. And there were errors in the code for the queries causing duplicate information to be retrieved and listed. So the first mistake was freezing the original website years ago. There was no reason it couldn't be updated daily with new graded submissions while a new version of the website was created. The second mistake is not making a second mirrored website but one that's only accessible to the developers. Also by doing this, new code can be tested in real time before it gets released to the general public. These few things are very simple. I do these types of things all the time when I'm upgrading or designing something new. And I'm nothing, a nobody that fools around with my own websites. So when I see the outcome of their website, I just shake my head and wonder what the hell happened. Did they hire some company to do the upgrades and then continued to get the runarounds? Did they have some of these people that completed college courses for database design but then when they actually were put in front of an actual large scale database, they realized that they learned nothing? I'm not really sure what exactly happened and hope they really didn't think nobody would notice that very little was changed. I really hope nobody over there is celebrating this new website. I do hope going forward that some mistakes are not repeated. And just one more thing.. If the original site was stopped so resources could be shifted to the new project, then I'd say it's time to scrap your whole layout. 95% of the website should run on it's own automatically. Once the website gives the worker a new serial number, they choose from the dropdown menus the sport, the year, and the set name. They type in the player name and card number if any, and then assign the grade. Then hit the enter key. If the website is designed properly, that's it. That information is automatically shared and added to the population reports and the registry sets. Adding a step for high resolution scans is not a big deal either. I'm not trying to pick on SGC but hopefully this is looked at as constructive criticism. Basically learn from your mistakes. Don't make the same mistakes again. Let the computer do what it was designed to do. The total ebay website is capable of being run by two people. I'd say one but that person will need to sleep sometimes.

I'm a PSA guy but I was really excited when the SGC website said something new was coming. I use the website a lot for reference. Plus company competition is good for business. If you don't have to compete with your competitor, then you will never grow or improve your business. So by this, PSA doesn't have to do anything drastic. I requested a couple sets for their registry and they responded that they were already in their "plan to do" list. I then reached out to them explaining my background and offered to help for free. They responded with a note that they had everything under control. That was over 5 years ago and neither set has been added. So by me being an active set registry user, that really puts me in a negative place. So a couple years later when SGC said something new was coming, I thought, well if PSA isn't capable of adding a couple sets, maybe SGC would be. Well, there's absolutely no point in me asking at this point.

T206 Master Monster Front/Back Set Collector - www.youtube.com/unclenacki
T206 Basic "The Monster" Set 514/524
T206 Advanced "Master Monster" Front/Back Set ????/5258
COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Old Mill Southern Leagues - Black Ink 48/48
Sweet Caporal 350-460 Factory 30 Full Color "No Prints" 28/28
NEAR COMPLETE T206 BACK SUBSETS
Polar Bear 245/250
Sovereign 460 50/52
Sweet Caporal 150 Factory 649 Overprint 31/34
Piedmont 350 "Elite 11" 9/11

Old 06-12-2020, 07:18 AM
T0NY @

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie73 View Post
I don't think Ryan is at all being dramatic.
Nor do I. Ryan is extremely passionate about his collection and the hobby and I think that's terrific.

SGC just can't seem to get their shit together! I gave up on them years ago as have many others.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post

Happy collecting

Toby Petersen
Thanks for your opinion Toby, but no, it’s not dramatic. In fact it was intended exactly as I did it. I have many rare and expensive cards, and I rely heavily on the pop reports to make decisions on whether and for how much to acquire (and/or sell/trade) a card. I think many here do too. And for that reason the SGC and PSA pop reports directly impact card valuations and the value of collections. SGC has effectively eliminated their population report for pre 1930 cards- the database is so unsearchable it’s useless. I purposely aired my opinions strongly and publicly hoping that it will get more attention (and maybe others will join), than a phone call or email, which I understand from other posts are going unanswered and unreturned anyway.

I am on record numerous times that I prefer SGC over PSA (from a grading perspective), but I have also watched (year after year after year) the value of SGC slabs lose ground to the value of lesser cards in PSA slabs, and it’s all because of the PSA database and registry. What SGC does with its website and its pop report affects the value of every card sitting in an SGC slab. And this recent debacle is no exception. So I am pissed, very pissed. As should others who have cards in SGC slabs should be.
Old 06-12-2020, 09:28 AM

Default TMZ Reports ........

Quote:
Thanks for your opinion Toby, but no, it’s not dramatic. In fact it was intended exactly as I did it. I have many rare and expensive cards, and I rely heavily on the pop reports to make decisions on whether and for how much to acquire (and/or sell/trade) a card. I think many here do too. And for that reason the SGC and PSA pop reports directly impact card valuations and the value of collections. SGC has effectively eliminated their population report for pre 1930 cards- the database is so unsearchable it’s useless. I purposely aired my opinions strongly and publicly hoping that it will get more attention (and maybe others will join), than a phone call or email, which I understand from other posts are going unanswered and unreturned anyway.

I am on record numerous times that I prefer SGC over PSA (from a grading perspective), but I have also watched (year after year after year) the value of SGC slabs lose ground to the value of lesser cards in PSA slabs, and it’s all because of the PSA database and registry. What SGC does with its website and its pop report affects the value of every card sitting in an SGC slab. And this recent debacle is no exception. So I am pissed, very pissed. As should others who have cards in SGC slabs should be.

Breaking news.... TMZ reports....Despite a global pandemic and riots in the street, SGC halts all grading card services to address Ryan's multi million dollar pop chart collection demands!

Ryan cheers!

I do understand you're point but don't see the point in bashing a company you endorse on a chat forum? I just don't see the end game with back biting. Just call them and voice you're concerns. I think it will help you get it down. Posting here only slows you're cause.

I could be wrong and who cares.

Happy Collecting to you.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:15 AM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
I concur.

PSA dominates mostly because of their superior Registry and Pop Reports, which help drive value.

I submitted my first order to SGC over 20 years ago, they are not new. To go so long with no functioning Pop report and a broken registry (waiting for their 3rd version in the past 8 years) is bewildering.

SGC is better or equal to PSA on everything else. I really want to see them do well. Wasn't it people speaking up on this board that made them change that first obnoxious flip change?

B. Ingr@m
Old 06-13-2020, 07:44 AM
Chuck Tapia

Quote:

Ryan Hotchkiss
Thant's funny, I couldn't even find the old POPsicle reports before. I think they are useless then and now. I thought they were going to put numbers in so you could verify the card? I do like that part of the PSA scam.

It's all a shit show.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:14 PM

Amen.

Old 06-11-2020, 05:25 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

With a million+ card backup and 6+ month wait time at PSA, all SGC needs to do is copy the PSA model exactly and they’d gain a lot of traction, but I’m not surprised. This isn’t the first time I’m left scratching my head at their apparent disinterest in gaining market share.
Old 06-11-2020, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
With a million+ card backup and 6+ month wait time at PSA, all SGC needs to do is copy the PSA model exactly and they’d gain a lot of traction, but I’m not surprised. This isn’t the first time I’m left scratching my head at their apparent disinterest in gaining market share.
The only thing they've copied from PSA thus far is their backlog and wait times. I'm on day 71 of a 20 day sub.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:21 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by realbigfatdog View Post
The only thing they've copied from PSA thus far is their backlog and wait times. I'm on day 71 of a 20 day sub.

I understand your frustration, but I am in the camp of everyone needing a lot of slack with the shutdown. It’s effects are extremely far reaching.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I understand your frustration, but I am in the camp of everyone needing a lot of slack with the shutdown. It’s effects are extremely far reaching.
I have no problem waiting it out due to delays caused by the shutdown. Being a postal worker, I understand the sheer chaos that is going on right now. What I cant accept is the sheer number of bulk submissions I keep seeing posted on various social media sites for groups of cards that were sent in long after mine were. They are taking care of certain customers and leaving others swinging in the breeze.

Old 06-11-2020, 06:31 PM
Br.ent !ngr@m
Br.ent Ing@am

Quote:
Gulp! I was fretting on being on day 53.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:50 PM

Plus, when you click on a set, see that your Wagner card is not listed, then click the back button, you are taken back to the original screen and have to type in the original set information all over again. And then repeat this process over and over again until you find what you're looking for. Incidentally, this search was the very first one i tried on this new pop report as well, although I was searching for Hal Chase. Took me forever to actually find him. This is a joke.

Old 06-12-2020, 02:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Plus, when you click on a set, see that your Wagner card is not listed, then click the back button, you are taken back to the original screen and have to type in the original set information all over again. And then repeat this process over and over again until you find what you're looking for. Incidentally, this search was the very first one i tried on this new pop report as well, although I was searching for Hal Chase. Took me forever to actually find him. This is a joke.

If you say anything concerning a company or person your name needs to be in your post. Thanks (that goes for everyone else too). There is a rule at the top of every page, in bold letters. thanks
Old 06-12-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
If you say anything concerning a company or person your name needs to be in your post. Thanks (that goes for everyone else too). There is a rule at the top of every page, in bold letters. thanks
Sorry Leon, I didnt realize that. Let me correct it now.

Mike Hornick