NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-06-2010, 03:56 PM
Paul

Default Of Recent Collectors Who Flip

We seem to have a small spate of people who start threads about their "amazing" recent purchases, which had everything to do with spending several thousand dollars on readily available cards, only to have them turn around and flip those cards within days of those posts.

I got no problem with card flipping, or quickly losing interest in areas of collecting. But to go out of your way to share your "great find" in a thread that explains how your purchase really defines you as a collector -- only to flip the cards or collection a day later -- is not only lame but it frankly makes you look like a wildly bipolar drama queen to your reading audience.

We pat each other on the backs for jobs well done in collecting -- big and small. You want the congratulations for making an easy purchase that has nothing to do with a long-term collection -- fine. But do us all a favor and don't use us like some kind of advertisement for your prospective flip. And keep your personal drama about how you hate the cards you loved yesterday to your psychologist.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Steve F
St.eve F@llet.ti

Ut ohh, Somebody got outsniped
Old 04-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Tim

There are:

Collectors that Collect
Collectors that Flip
Flippers that Collect
Flippers that Flip

As you slide down the scale you care less about the cards and more about the money. When the money becomes more important than the cards you don't really need to be here. IMHO

Last edited by Abravefan11; 04-06-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:12 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
There are:

Collectors that Collect
Collectors that Flip
Flippers that Collect
Flippers that Flip

As you slide down the scale you care less about the cards and more about the money. When the money becomes more important than the cards you don't really need to be here. IMHO
Agreed. But I want to add that I find no particular problem with any of those 4 categories. Everyone should just be honest about where they fit in.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:15 PM

I was clear in the BST about why im doing what im doing. Im no flipper...im a quitter. Im sick of the bullshit garbage and lying in these forums...and since its my sole outlet to discussing cards, why even bother anymore?
Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Rob Miller

Bold statement, but I do tend to agree. I fall into the category of a collector who only sells mainly to fund other purchases or upgrade for a registry set. I would think that means I fall into category #1.

Chicago: I don't think this thread was directed only at you:

"We seem to have a small spate of people"

Rob
Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago206 View Post
I was clear in the BST about why im doing what im doing. Im no flipper...im a quitter. Im sick of the bullshit garbage and lying in these forums...and since its my sole outlet to discussing cards, why even bother anymore?
I agree to an extent. That Plank may have been the centrepiece to a collection one day, then change into the centrepiece of a new deal overnight. Who knows. Maybe something came up that the owner of the Plank wanted more than the Plank.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:26 PM
Clayton

I may be a little odd,but I enjoy buying a T206 and thinking to myself "this bad boy won't be seeing the market for a long,long time"

I'm in the collector who collects catagory-but to each their own..........

Regards,

Clayton
Old 04-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
Agreed. But I want to add that I find no particular problem with any of those 4 categories. Everyone should just be honest about where they fit in.
Jim you're right and I don't find a problem with any as well. I being in sales don't think profit is a dirty word.

But if someones interest is more about making money than collecting cards I just don't think this is the right place for them.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:14 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
When the money becomes more important than the cards you don't really need to be here. IMHO
Perfectly put.

@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Jeff

What does it matter if people flip cards? As long as the seller gets the price they want for their card, who cares what the buyer does with it. Flipping keeps cards in circulation. If everyone kept there cards forever, there would be no cards to buy. If you can make money at flipping, that's a bonus. It means you can buy more cards! All cards get 'flipped' eventually.

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb217676 View Post
What does it matter if people flip cards? As long as the seller gets the price they want for their card, who cares what the buyer does with it. Flipping keeps cards in circulation. If everyone kept there cards forever, there would be no cards to buy. If you can make money at flipping, that's a bonus. It means you can buy more cards! All cards get 'flipped' eventually.
Again, I like flipping cards as much as the next guy. But don't come on here telling me that your brand new Plank is going to be in your collection forever and isn't it wonderful -- only to sell it tomorrow and brag about how much of a profit you're looking to claim.

Pathetic.

@SignedT206
Old 04-06-2010, 04:11 PM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladder7 View Post
Ut ohh, Somebody got outsniped
Ha -- no. Just think its amazing we have a "Mission Accomplished" thread running at the same time as that mission is for sale. And this is not the only example....

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T206Collector View Post
Ha -- no. Just think its amazing we have a "Mission Accomplished" thread running at the same time as that mission is for sale. And this is not the only example....

You're right...no way he was talking about ME. BTW, im logged in this site still because I have a few thousand dollars worth of cards for sale on this site.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:59 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
You're right...no way he was talking about ME. BTW, im logged in this site still because I have a few thousand dollars worth of cards for sale on this site.
I repeat, (but I'm used to doing that. I have teenagers), he wasn't talking about JUST YOU!

He referred to a spate of posters. Certainly, you are just one of the members of that group. Yet, somehow the thread has become all about you.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim VB View Post
I repeat, (but I'm used to doing that. I have teenagers), he wasn't talking about JUST YOU!

He referred to a spate of posters. Certainly, you are just one of the members of that group. Yet, somehow the thread has become all about you.

My BST ad went live at 4:15pm yesterday. This thread went live at 4:56pm yesterday. Doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure out what the inspiration was for this thread, does it?
Old 04-07-2010, 05:37 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
I got no problem with card flipping, or quickly losing interest in areas of collecting. But to go out of your way to share your "great find" in a thread that explains how your purchase really defines you as a collector -- only to flip the cards or collection a day later -- is not only lame but it frankly makes you look like a wildly bipolar drama queen to your reading audience.
I don't think that posters who do this are doing so because they are bipolar or have just changed their minds; they are doing so solely to advertise a card they planned on flipping from the start. I find that often the people that do this eventually get caught up in other, petty frauds on the board, so this sort of disingenuous behavior is really just par for the course for them.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:08 AM

Ok, here it is, one final time. My intentions were sincere. I wanted to be a collector. A "flipper" is a person who buys a card with the intentions of selling that card at a PROFIT. Please go back and read my "Mission Accomplished" thread. I very candidly display the prices I paid for these cards. Now go to my "BST" ad. Notice anything? Really? You mean my asking prices are about IDENTICAL to my purchase prices? No way!!! So im not trying to make a quick buck? The thread starter owes me an apology. While I do see his point, it does not apply in this situation at all. I have simply become disenchanted with both the CU forum as well as this one. Because my wife doesnt want to talk about cards, I soon will have no outlet....hence my leaving the hobby. If this makes me "Bipolar", or a "Drama Queen", then oh well. When you cut through all the BS, im simply a guy who gave it a real go, and now has decided to make some VERY pretty cards available to other collectors at the exact same prices that I have paid for those cards.

Phil
Old 04-07-2010, 06:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ok, here it is, one final time. My intentions were sincere. I wanted to be a collector. A "flipper" is a person who buys a card with the intentions of selling that card at a PROFIT. Please go back and read my "Mission Accomplished" thread. I very candidly display the prices I paid for these cards. Now go to my "BST" ad. Notice anything? Really? You mean my asking prices are about IDENTICAL to my purchase prices? No way!!! So im not trying to make a quick buck? The thread starter owes me an apology. While I do see his point, it does not apply in this situation at all. I have simply become disenchanted with both the CU forum as well as this one. Because my wife doesnt want to talk about cards, I soon will have no outlet....hence my leaving the hobby. If this makes me "Bipolar", or a "Drama Queen", then oh well. When you cut through all the BS, im simply a guy who gave it a real go, and now has decided to make some VERY pretty cards available to other collectors at the exact same prices that I have paid for those cards.

Phil
If you're so disenchanted and really are "leaving" the hobby, then why the constant drama and posts? If you've made the choice, sell the cards and go already. Then you'll be at peace on your boat, right? Doesn't seem that tough to figure out.

Goodbye and good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:20 AM

See why im leaving? Im "attacked" by the TS as being a flipper. I clearly show why that is an inaccurate description by using facts and logic. Yet another member piles on immediately following my reply. This is why its no longer fun.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
See why im leaving? Im "attacked" by the TS as being a flipper. I clearly show why that is an inaccurate description by using facts and logic. Yet another member piles on immediately following my reply. This is why its no longer fun.
Goodbye and good luck.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:33 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
This is why its no longer fun.

And yet... you are still logged on to the site, just waiting to respond yet again.

The original poster WASN'T talking about just you. He clearly stated: "We seem to have a small spate of people..."

In a follow up post, he referred to the T206 Plank card. That also wasn't you.

It really doesn't matter whether you stay or go. It doesn't matter whether you continue to collect or not.

In any case, you do seem to like to talk about it.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 AM
Paul

I'm sorry, but I will not be apologizing for starting this thread (irony intended). Your conduct is extremely suspect, even if your intentions are pure and even if you do not profit from your contemporaneous "mission accomplished" and "for sale" threads.

Congratulations! You bought 15 T206 cards over a 3 month period and somehow managed to turn that modest accomplishment into controversy and cynicism on multiple threads on 2 internet chatboards. That is, of course, no one's fault but your own.

I am sure we can all agree that you should leave at least the internet community side of our hobby for now. But feel free to come back when you have something worthwhile to share or contribute. If you really have such thin skin, keep your posts simple, never share personal data, and keep your shared purchases to the monthly pick-up threads.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default agreed

Quote:
We seem to have a small spate of people who start threads about their "amazing" recent purchases, which had everything to do with spending several thousand dollars on readily available cards, only to have them turn around and flip those cards within days of those posts.

We pat each other on the backs for jobs well done in collecting -- big and small. You want the congratulations for making an easy purchase that has nothing to do with a long-term collection -- fine. But do us all a favor and don't use us like some kind of advertisement for your prospective flip. And keep your personal drama about how you hate the cards you loved yesterday to your psychologist.
agreed...and we all see through it faster than anything.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
agreed...and we all see through it faster than anything.
Exactly. When you've seen it a bunch of times, you get a really great BS meter.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Exactly. When you've seen it a bunch of times, you get a really great BS meter.

The main difference being that im not a "flipper". Flippers make a profit. Im exiting the hobby at/below my cost. Hard to be a flipper when you dont make a dime, isnt it?
Old 04-07-2010, 09:13 AM
Tony Quinn

Default Question

I tried to stay out of it but one question is really nagging at me. Just because you can't talk about your cards with a bunch of strangers you are giving up collecting? That just seems like a odd reason to not collect. You stated in previous posts that you loved the history, photography and beauty of the cards themselves. How do a few disagreements on a website ruin your enjoyment so badly? Personally, I have no one to discuss my cards with, yet I look at them nearly every day and get great enjoyment in just having them. I also buy and sell cards on a regular basis as a hobby. I get some, enjoy them for a while, and move some more to generate revenue to purchase more. I have a very small budget, so selling some of what I have allows me to get something else I like more at the time. I have some I plan on not selling as part of my permanent collection, but "never say never". I re-focus my collecting wants regularly but I would never dump everything and get out of it just because of what somebody else thinks of me or my cards. Nobody has actually said it, but maybe because you came in all guns blazing, spent more money than most of us would have in 10 years for cards and then 3 days after proudly displaying your collection and sharing the story of how it all started, you sell it all and say it's the board's fault. Just my opinion, but it sounds strange. You don't have to reply an if you do I won't slam your response.
Good luck in your future endeavors.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:14 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default flipping?

Quote:
The main difference being that im not a "flipper". Flippers make a profit. Im exiting the hobby at/below my cost. Hard to be a flipper when you dont make a dime, isnt it?
Actually, no, it's not hard to be a flipper if you don't make a dime. Ask any person that flips (myself included) and every single one will tell you they don't always make money on a flip. Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. It goes with the territory. And, btw Chicago, I honestly wasn't even thinking of you in my last post. I just want the bickering to quit. I don't care how we get there, only that we do in fact get there. That includes everyone on the board.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
Dan McCarthy

Can we get Bruce reinstated please? At least that guy was good for a laugh or three and didn't whine too much.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:16 AM
Paul

Quote:
Whether you make a profit is ENTIRELY BESIDE THE POINT. People who sell what they just bought are flipping the item. What you originally paid for the item and what you are asking for the item are both entirely irrelevant. The issue I have with the behavior is in your entire process and way of doing business. That you're not making any money out of it only makes your process more irrational than it already is.

@SignedT206
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Rob have you been hacking my Ipod again?