NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-18-2010, 11:47 PM
Steve

Default T206 Wagner proof strip now in Philly...

Please forgive me if this has already been mentioned, but the T206 Wagner proof strip is now available for viewing at Citizens Bank Park in Philly...

It appears that it will be auctioned off at the FanFest this summer.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/spor...#axzz0oLpvXTPH

Have a good one,
Steve
Old 05-19-2010, 12:07 AM
Jim D

hopefully there will be some coverage of the auction.... i've never heard of this proof strip but would love to see it and watch the auction action

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 05-19-2010, 12:19 AM

i wondered if one of the card doctors performed their work on this Wagner(in secret ofcourse, Like the PSA 8 and SGC graded it a 9, what the outcome would look like?

i saw this strip last time around, still can't believe it only sold in $200,000 range?

Yes, at this time in auction market, i can't wait to see the outcome!
Old 05-19-2010, 10:03 AM
Clayton

Even though the strip isn't in the best shape,it is a true one of a kind.Imagine that in your collection!!!

Clayton
Old 05-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Chris

Is the backs(s) blank on the test strip?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:13 AM
Clayton

I've never seen the back of it,but I'm almost 100% sure it's blank.

Clayton
Old 05-19-2010, 10:18 AM

I'll be there for the phestival on Monday. Guess I'll bring a couple hundred grand extra with me.
Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Default Wagner strip q

Has anyone seen an off-center version of either of the surrounding cards that has a sliver of Wagner (or a replacement card) at the edge?
Old 05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 AM
Gr3g N@z@r3th

Rumor has it that Wagner used to carry this around in his back pocket. Don't know how true that is. But I have known about this "card" for at least 25 years now.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnaz01 View Post
Rumor has it that Wagner used to carry this around in his back pocket. Don't know how true that is. But I have known about this "card" for at least 25 years now.
I don't know about that, but it was found in the attic of a home formerly owned by Wagner. It was probably given to him to try to encourage him to sign on to the project.
JimB

Last edited by E93; 05-19-2010 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:16 AM
qualitycards

I remember seeing an ad for this in SCD about 15 years ago and the seller was asking a million for it.
Anyone remember who the seller was?
Old 07-17-2010, 06:16 PM

Default Wagner Proof

My little part of the strip's history.

I know Steve Verkman bought it from the Halper/Sotheby's auction ten or so years ago. I think he paid about $85K for it. In one of his later auctions, I purchased it from him for $91K. I used it in a Shop At Home promotion as a grand prize in a drawing - I believe a lady from the south won it, and later that year consigned it to a Mastro auction. I believe it sold in the Mastro auction for somewhere in the high $70s or low $80s - I do remember Steve making the comment that it brought the most money in his auction out of the three.

I never removed it from the glass holder/case that it was in from the Sotheby's sale, but there is no doubt in my mind that it was one sold strip/piece. The back was blank. It had the genuine feel and look of T206s from that era. I don't remember if it had a factory "cut" or a hand cut - didn't really seem relevant.

Having held it for maybe six months...it's a unique piece, but it is aesthetically as ugly as a hundred grand piece can be. Considering what Poor/Fair Wagners are going for, you'd think this item would be worth more, but the appeal just isn't there.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysc View Post
My little part of the strip's history.

I know Steve Verkman bought it from the Halper/Sotheby's auction ten or so years ago. I think he paid about $85K for it. In one of his later auctions, I purchased it from him for $91K. I used it in a Shop At Home promotion as a grand prize in a drawing - I believe a lady from the south won it, and later that year consigned it to a Mastro auction. I believe it sold in the Mastro auction for somewhere in the high $70s or low $80s - I do remember Steve making the comment that it brought the most money in his auction out of the three.

I never removed it from the glass holder/case that it was in from the Sotheby's sale, but there is no doubt in my mind that it was one sold strip/piece. The back was blank. It had the genuine feel and look of T206s from that era. I don't remember if it had a factory "cut" or a hand cut - didn't really seem relevant.

Having held it for maybe six months...it's a unique piece, but it is aesthetically as ugly as a hundred grand piece can be. Considering what Poor/Fair Wagners are going for, you'd think this item would be worth more, but the appeal just isn't there.
Solomon- thanks for giving more information on the strip and thanks for registering for our forum. Glad to have you aboard!!