NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Default Need help identifying premiums 11" X 14" multi-sport....... *Pics added

Hi, I just got an email from someone that lives fairly close to me and he needed help identifying what sounds like large premiums.

Sorry, there are No Photos of them, yet

Here is how he describes them...

"""I have 70 or so of these cards. I assume it was a set of 100 as I do have #1 and #100. They consist of all sports. Lots of baseball and football also boxing, race cars, tennis, olympics, even wrestling and golf and billiards. Here's the kicker.....they are 11" X 14" huge cards black and white on thick cardboard stock. They are machine cut. They are real pictures. Numbers appear on the front all start with SP- then a number 1 to 100. The backs were originally blank but have been stamped as withdrawn from a local school library in 1983. The most recent pix on these cards seems to be early or mid fifties."""

I was thinking "Sport Magazine" ??? because of the "SP" before the numbers?? Does anyone know of something that matches the description?

If I cant get an answer here Im going to drive over and see them in person. He is just trying to ID them, and doesnt want to sell them, yet.

Thanks Frank

edited to add pics

here is front and back pics of an example, Cobb (I'll add more pics at bottom of post later tonight)

Last edited by fkw; 12-30-2010 at 07:21 PM. Reason: edited to add pics
Old 12-28-2010, 12:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default could be

Could be what you said Frank. A little late in years for me to know much....let us know what you find out.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:03 PM
G.r.eg M@r.t.i.n

Default Maybe a version of these arena stadium cards?

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1970-Lg-11x14-A...item20b4b4d823

http://cgi.ebay.com/1970-lg-11x14-Ar...item20b54122d0

http://cgi.ebay.com/c1970-lg-11x14-A...item20b4e8f40f
Old 12-29-2010, 02:56 AM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Thanks for the links, I'll see if they match. Im going to go over and see them within a couple days and take pics etc.

PS. This collector who owns these is not a novice, he has collected for 60 years, been to hundreds of shows including larger National Shows and has never seen cards like these. He was also personal friends with Frank Nagy of Michigan where he is from, and he did not know what they were.

Hes shown them to some dealers in the past with no help, Levi Bleam, Fritsch Family, Steve Verkman, etc.

So im sure they are rather scarce to not be IDed yet.

Last edited by fkw; 12-29-2010 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default however,......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkw View Post
Thanks for the links, I'll see if they match. Im going to go over and see them within a couple days and take pics etc.

PS. This collector who owns these is not a novice, he has collected for 60 years, been to hundreds of shows including larger National Shows and has never seen cards like these. He was also personal friends with Frank Nagy of Michigan where he is from, and he did not know what they were.

Hes shown them to some dealers in the past with no help, Levi Bleam, Fritsch Family, Steve Verkman, etc.

So im sure they are rather scarce to not be IDed yet.
I am biased but I think there is more collective knowledge on this board than anywhere else in the world, for pre-war baseball cards and premiums. No, we won't have all of the answers, but an answer is more likely here than anywhere....
Old 12-29-2010, 06:55 PM
Scott Gaynor

Without actually seeing them I am going with some sort of decorative classroom posters. When I was in school we had a bunch of similar posters in one of my classrooms, there was Jackie Robinson and others (even though this was in the early 1980's). That could be why they were at one time in a school library. The SP could be who made them (scholastic something or another). Just a guess........

Scott
https://www.ebay.com/sch/estate-find...1&_ipg=&_from=

Find my monthly auctions on auctionninja
https://www.auctionninja.com/gaynors-fine-consignments/
Old 12-30-2010, 08:10 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

More info...

I got a chance to see these in person.

They are on heavy stock and are NOT flimsy at all, if you were to bend one slightly they would crease.
The backs are a textured bluish-gray color and many of them are discolored to a greenish yellow color from age around edges and you can tell they sat still somewhere for a long time in a stack.
No pinholes. Not all of them are stamped on back.

The newest pics I could ID are a Jackie Robinson sliding, and a Satchel Paige (sitting on ground against a fence in Cleveland Uniform), Pete Gray, a 1950 Era T.Williams, and some football/Olympics/Globetrotters that look to be ca1950.

No Babe Ruth, Joe Jackson, Mantle, Mays, etc. I suspect the Ruth was printed but is just one of the 30 missing from the 100 card set.

The earliest pic are a couple Pugilists from the 1880-90s, a 1895 Football team pic, a billiards player, and a very early Lajoie pic, then would be 2 1905 Era NY Giants pics, Mathewson, and Mathewson/McGraw/McGinnity.

4-5 woman golfers, 4-5 men golfers, a couple jockeys/horses, 3-4 race cars, 2 basketball (James Naismith and a early Globetrotters), 6-7 football, most were baseball... including 1919 Black Sox, Landis, etc.

I ran out of memory on my camera after 1/2 the stack so didnt get pics of the later cards, yet. The higher the numbers the more modern the pics. span was 1880s to ca.1950

a few examples of the non-baseball ones below
(if you can ID the football player, golfer, portrait, etc. that would help.)

Dempsey vs. Carpentier,Jersey City, July 2nd,1921
(thanks Clayton )

Bobby Jones

Thorpe

??

4 horsemen

Last edited by fkw; 12-30-2010 at 09:19 PM.