NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-09-2011, 08:06 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default My impromptu chat with Joe O.

So this was approximately my 10th-12th National and I have seen Joe Orlando walking around at many of them. He seems very interested in his companies success and is around their booths much of the time. I am quite sure he has known about Net54baseball for years and I am sure he has heard my name on more than a few occasions, but I had never met him. I would be very surprised if he hasn't read the board and wouldn't be surprised if he reads it regularly. I would if I were him. I also helped him and his assistant catch a person that sent me an email while impersonating him. That person admitted it under oath, I am told. At any rate I know many of the issues surrounding PSA and so forth. They are a large company and when you are grading 100k+ cards a month I am sure it's impossible to get every one correct. Also, one of our board members had an issue with PSA and took them to court and won. So, it's not been all roses for Joe and PSA, concerning Net54baseball. That being said I have never had anything against PSA or Joe. I have my preferences for grading companies but hey, It's America.

At this last National I saw Joe walking rather briskly down an aisle so I figured it was a good enough time to meet him. I said, "excuse me Joe, I just want to meet you" and introduced myself. He was very polite and we probably spoke for 10-15 minutes. I truly think he wants what is best for the hobby and runs as good of a ship as can be run, given the circumstances surrounding the human objectivity in grading. I think he would like to help clean up the hobby and can't stand the fraud, deceit and scamming that goes on. In most of these respects he and I feel exactly the same way. I just want to give a shout out to him for taking the time to get to know me and chat with me, when he was obviously on his way going somewhere else. I let him know if I can ever be of help, just let me know. My guess is that would be a reciprocated gesture. Joe seems like a nice guy and a true hobbyist. best regards
Old 08-09-2011, 09:20 PM
Robert Williams

Good post Leon.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

"dealer grades" for everybody!

YA-FA-FA-HOOOOO!

Last edited by murcerfan; 08-09-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:11 PM

I personally have had several opportunites to work with Joe Orlando and I also find him to be a true hobbyist and an extremely nice person. Joe is very thoughtful about the way he conducts himself and runs his business. He is always open to suggestions and new ideas. He also doesn't run from problems when they are presented to him. I know this first-hand from my years of collecting my own personal items and now from a business standpoint with my new company. From my experience, he is very approachable and will do anything he can to help a fellow collector. His knowledge is extensive and he is more than willing to share it when asked.

As far as PSA authentication/grading goes, I really don't think I would have spent as much money on my personal collection without PSA being in existence. The PSA name, whether you all agree with me or not, gives me as a collector a sense of security when purchasing high-end collectibles. I look at it as a bit of insurance when I'm buying. So, in my humble opinion, PSA (and other legit companies) are just plain good for our hobby. And, if in the end they make a profit (which is, by-the-way why companies are in business to begin with) then good for them - after all, we need more employed people.

I know that all of us on this forum are very passionate about the hobby, and we definitely see our share of not-so-ethical people out there. It's good that we have this venue to share the hobby experience, knowledge of collectibles and spread the word about fraudulent activities, but I personally would like to see more positive statements being posted more often too.

Thanks Leon, for a refreshingly positive post!
Old 08-09-2011, 11:22 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

I think I'm gonna cry.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:23 PM
Dave Terwi.lliger

any word on when the 1/4 grade scale will be implemented?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:51 PM
JeR@Me

Default Joe & PSA...

Leon,

Nice post and I must concur on similar observations as Joe strikes me as a guy who is tireless and works hard for PSA. I must have walked by the PSA booth a dozen times and just about every time I walked by he was engaged in a conversation with a customer (working, sleeves rolled up) and I remember noticing this at open and close, so he strikes me as one of those hands on leaders of his organization. This is only my perception of what I saw, but I must also say that I use PSA as well as SGC and think they both do a pretty good job. I use both companies for different grading ventures and I have generally been pleased over the years with their service.

Cheers - JJ
Old 08-10-2011, 05:06 AM

Oh Joe read this board plenty, he even quoted a post of mine when he screamed at me and hung up on me when I tried to collect the legal fees from the law suite. The back of their form stated back then that if you win a judgement from them in court, they will pay your legal fees. NOT, when I called to collect those, good ole Joe screamed at me and hung up on me.

You can have him Leon sorry

I have no respect whatsoever for him

Dan Mckee
Old 08-10-2011, 05:15 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

I think I'd have some respect for Joe if he didn't do all that he could to shut down any sort of public criticism of PSA. That doesn't suggest to me that he cares about fixing his company's problems.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:50 AM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I think I'd have some respect for Joe if he didn't do all that he could to shut down any sort of public criticism of PSA. That doesn't suggest to me that he cares about fixing his company's problems.
That sounds like the Mike Brown approach to running a NFL franchise. If he put half the effort into actually fixing the Bengals' issues as he does trying to deflect/suppress legitimate criticism, they might have had more than two winning seasons in the past 20 years...
Old 08-10-2011, 06:38 AM
D@v!d J@m3s
Banned

Quote:
I think I'd have some respect for Joe if he didn't do all that he could to shut down any sort of public criticism of PSA.
+1
Old 08-10-2011, 06:43 AM
Paul

My take-away from Leon's post is that sometimes really nice and caring people do a terrible job running a company.

www.instagram.com/signedT206/
@SignedT206
Old 08-10-2011, 06:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default a few more thoughts...

As I said, I know there are some on this board that have, and have had issues with Joe and/or PSA. Anytime someone is doing well and running a fairly large and successful organization there will be detractors. It would also be nice if some of those criticizing him would be more a part of the solution than the problem. How about starting a good, positive thread sometimes? Oh wait, it's easier to just bitch. I understand things go "poof" sometimes on the CU boards. Well, it's their board and they don't care to take all of the bitching the way I do. To me, no big deal. It's part of the gig. To them, they would rather not hear it sometimes. I can't really say I blame them but it's just not my style.

There are many folks in the hobby who don't like me and have never met me, spoke on the phone with me, and maybe not even emailed with me. It goes with the territory. There is no doubt Joe (and I...and you) will make mistakes as we are human. Overall, I find Joe a very nice and likable guy that is good for the hobby. I feel he is part of the solution. I wish I could say the same for everyone...

And btw, as outspoken as you are Jeff L., I like you and think you are good for the hobby in that no matter what, we know we have you to help point out crap and inconsistencies. At the same time I realize I get no free lunch from you either. Hey, but you could have at least bought me a soda in the cafe when we had a really nice chat at the National? Thanks again for taking time out to sit and talk for a while. It's too rare of an occurence.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
And btw, as outspoken as you are Jeff L., I like you and think you are good for the hobby in that no matter what, we know we have you to help point out crap and inconsistencies.
Now you've gone too far!!

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I don't know Joe and respect Leon's judgment. But, I think Jeff's point is most telling. In fact, I don't understand why anyone would post on a board that engages in censorship. The price we pay in "negativity" is far outweighed, in my view, by the virtue of free expression.