NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-29-2015, 10:16 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Gehrig question....

Could someone please enlighten me on these 2 swatches?

The Ruth is obviously from a Jersey but can one determine from the small sample size........the era of the jersey it came from or home or away?

The Gehrig to me looks like a sweater piece and not a Jersey piece. Any thoughts on that?

Just looking for some expert opinions on where each might have come from. Especially the Gehrig.

Thanks in advance.

Peace, Mike

$_57.jpg

$_57baack.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 08-29-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 11:49 AM
Louie Michaud

Just my two cents but I think there's a ton of distrust with these kind of relic cards. The way they word things on the back...."this game-used jersey is guaranteed by Panini"...or "the materials are not from any specific game, event, or season"...I feel with that kind of language there's no guarantee what you're actually getting whatsoever. With all the history of scandals from all these companies regarding where they get their materials from...just a lot of uncertainty.

The only relics I'd come close to trusting were the ones around 1999-2001 where it explicitly said..."this jersey was used by _______ in an actual MLB game"...but even those I wouldn't be too certain.
Old 08-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Jeff

I agree with Louie, these could have literally come from anywhere.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 08-29-2015, 02:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks.....

Louie and Jeff,

Thanks for avoiding my 2 questions.

Fact #1 : On the back of this card it says "The enclosed game-used material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc."

Fact #2 : It also says "licensed by the family of Babe Ruth"

Fact #3 : Also says "licensed by Rip Van Winkle Foundation and www.LouGehrig.com

Fact #4 : Also "Officially licensed by MLB Players Association"

Now I understand that they could be from a spring training game, a pick up game, barnstorming, or a real game but it is hard for me to believe that with only 3 of these cards made that a multi-million dollar worldwide company like Panini is going to dupe both estates, MLB, and the public for a simple insert in one of its 2015 products. That would do well for their bottom line!

I also wonder how both of you would react if you or someone from your family plunked down $3 and got this card in your hands? I'm sure with the offers hovering around the $1000 mark that you would voice your doubts and displeasures so freely.

Please, If someone who has knowledge of Yankee uniforms and early era Yankee sweaters or wool would kindly give me those opinions I nicely asked for, that would be cool. If your opinion is "hey, those look like my son's little league uniforms that my wife cut up last week and sold to Mr. Panini at the back door at 3am" and you have video proof of such a transgression, then I would respect that as well. Video proof is quite frankly pretty neat.

Thanks,

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-29-2015 at 02:10 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Mike, the licensing from your points #2 - 4 only give Panini the rights to use Ruth's and Gehrig's name and images on their cards. It's not relevant to whether those pieces came from game used material or not. The big card manufacturers often depend on middle men who say that these are authentic jerseys / bats, so unless they show an actual picture of the uniform/bat as some of them have done in the past, the relic could have come from anywhere. That Gehrig material does seem different. It could have come from a sweater, sock, or even jock strap for all we know.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:23 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Gary.....

Jock Strap? Man that would be awful!

Although it reminds me of a very bawdy Joe DiMaggio in person experience/story that I will only share after many beers. Maybe at the AC National next summer. Very funny but risqué story from a Polish Community Center (Albany) DiMaggio signing back in the 1980s.

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-29-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:25 PM
Louie Michaud

Well I'm not trying to avoid your question, I'm simply giving you the information I know. And I really don't think I didn't do it nicely...if it came across that way to you then I apologize, it wasn't my intent. I have no agenda here, rather to just give you what I know about these relic cards in general, because I think it is important and relevant to your questions.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
Fact #1 : On the back of this card it says "The enclosed game-used material is guaranteed by Panini America Inc."
Not to pile on, just curious. On the back of the card does it state that these are game-used BABE RUTH and LOU GEHRIG materials? Otherwise it is a very loose description that could conceivably allow the company to line up random 'game-used' TomDickandHarry materials underneath the respective Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig names. I know this doesn't help you identify the materials included on the card, but it certainly is something that needs to be addressed, even if it causes pain and distress.

Brian
Old 08-29-2015, 02:54 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianp-beme View Post
Not to pile on, just curious. On the back of the card does it state that these are game-used BABE RUTH and LOU GEHRIG materials? Otherwise it is a very loose description that could conceivably allow the company to line up random 'game-used' TomDickandHarry materials underneath the respective Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig names. I know this doesn't help you identify the materials included on the card, but it certainly is something that needs to be addressed, even if it causes pain and distress.

Brian
Brian,
I posted a photo in my first post of the back. It looks like it does not say it specifically so I see your point. No pain from me. This card was listed on Ebay yesterday and taken off today. I took the photos from Ebay. I was just curious as the Gehrig looked very different than most game jerseys so that is where my original question was centered. It was pulled from a local shop 2 days ago and not by me unfortunately! Thanks. Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 08-29-2015 at 03:11 PM.