NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-23-2016, 01:01 PM
Dave Becker

Default 1970s Fleer Decals & Baseball Quiz Card Info Wanted

I have a bunch of the the early 70's Fleer Decals and also an assortment of Baseball Quiz cards. I'm trying to match them up.

I have two card types, plain white with no team logos and Yellow background with team logos.

The Fleer Sticker Project blog shows the two types of card inserts, but only mentions that they came as an insert with the cloth patches. I've been unable to verify which cards came with the Decals.

Anybody know which cards came with the decals, and the order of release for the white vs. yellow background cards?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BaseballQuizCards3.JPG (28.7 KB, 360 views)
Old 04-23-2016, 01:30 PM
Al Richter

Default Fleer

I think I have put together every set Fleer issued between 1959 and 1981....and there were many of them. Most were generic team type issues and not player specific. I used this resource in putting the sets together and accumulating the numerous variations. If you take the time you will find them all discussed in here, including those you posted. If I have time later I will post a link from this blog to the Quiz cards you posted. The Blog also discusses what was packaged with what and in what years

http://fleersticker.blogspot.com/

I also know a guy who has opened most of the packs and cataloged what came in each. I will ask him if he can help with your Q

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-23-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Dave Becker

The link you posted is the one that I already looked at. It does discuss the quiz cards but only mentions that they came with patches, and there is no specific mention of any inserts that came with the decals. That is what I really wanted to find out.

Also it says that the white quiz cards "might" have been issued before the yellow ones but does not definitively state that. No packaging is shown for the decals either.

Last edited by OlderTheBetter; 04-23-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-23-2016, 09:20 PM

Lightbulb 1970 Fleer Decals and 1972 Fleer Baseball Quiz Cards

The all white (no Yellow) Fleer quiz cards were prepared for the early release during Fleer's infamous fight versus Topps for rights to use MLB logos....that was subsequently settled and once Fleer had the go ahead to use Logos of teams the rest of the season the Yellow version (with Logos) was used.

As for the 1970 decals....no patches were issued with them...just the decals...one rectangular and one square decal in each pack. There are those that will argue about both types coming out at the same time...but I have assembled many sets of both and the only wrapper ever seen is the one from 1970....so that's were my "money" goes!!

BJI....Fleer fan for the last 43 years!!
Old 04-23-2016, 09:32 PM
Al Richter

Default Fleer

Barry.....welcome aboard . Thanks for the input. A great seller of Fleer stuff and my go to guy for input on those issues
Old 04-24-2016, 08:01 AM
Dave.Horn.ish

The history of the Fleer sports sets that were essentially designed to circumvent Topps is long and fascinating. There are so many permutations and scarcities, plus the semi-related ancillary issues from Bob Laughlin. They really rival Topps in terms of complexity during the 60's and 70's.
Old 04-24-2016, 11:15 AM
Dave Becker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active since 1973 View Post
The all white (no Yellow) Fleer quiz cards were prepared for the early release during Fleer's infamous fight versus Topps for rights to use MLB logos....that was subsequently settled and once Fleer had the go ahead to use Logos of teams the rest of the season the Yellow version (with Logos) was used.

As for the 1970 decals....no patches were issued with them...just the decals...one rectangular and one square decal in each pack. There are those that will argue about both types coming out at the same time...but I have assembled many sets of both and the only wrapper ever seen is the one from 1970....so that's were my "money" goes!!

The decals that I have include the Texas Rangers. This would put them around 1972 at the earliest. I've seen no evidence so far that they were released as early as 1970. Perhaps they were only issued for one year. They are much less commonly found than the patches.

The patch packs had four patches and four quiz cards per pack. The decals are flimsy and also needed backing. What was the backing inserted with the decals? Quiz card or something else? No one has been able to answer this for me. I've not heard of anyone with an unopened pack or even a wrapper for the decals. Someone out there has to have that.
Old 04-24-2016, 01:00 PM
Al Richter

Default Decals

Are you talking about these ? I think they were issued once in 72 or 73 ( unlike the Cloth Emblems which were issued annually over a 7 year period I think they were just issued once). The wrappers indicate gum but nothing else. I do not have an unopened pack. I am also missing ( I think) one square decal and 3 of the rectangular ones. These are pretty tough

The earlier iron on had an instruction card. It would make sense there was something besides gum in the packs to prevent damage to the decals. Not sure about the quiz cards. I have 28 different yellow quiz cards but only 5 white ones. I think as Barry said, the white ones without logos came out first

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 04-24-2016 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:42 PM
Randy Trierweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Active since 1973 View Post

Its great to see BJI on this board, one of the best dealers I've ever dealt with.