NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-19-2023, 11:42 AM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Default What would you do ?

Sold a lot of cards so it went straight to the buyer. Used registered mail and it was signed for by 4-5 different usps workers along the way. Insured for thousands. Buyer received the package says it is open and the registered tape was peeled off.

Local usps manager said it would have been noticed and returned to me if that was the case.

I’m no longer selling lots or sets. Everything will be singles so eBay receives it first.

- Unbelievable
Old 10-19-2023, 12:13 PM

As a 20 year letter carrier, I can tell you first hand how seriously we handle registered mail. If I was handed a registered package or letter in the morning by a clerk (which I have to sign for at the time I recieve it) and I notice that it is damaged or had been tampered with, I'd immediately make it known to the postmaster or supervisor BEFORE I even signed to accept it for delivery. As a carrier, once we sign a piece of registered mail out in the morning, WE are responsible for it. If said piece goes missing, WE are responsible to cover it's value. Carriers can have their wages garnished to cover the insured cost. So unless the carrier who delivered your package was completely stupid, I cant see them tampering with it. Not with a registered package, no way. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Old 10-19-2023, 12:19 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Sounds like more questions to ask the buy here...
1- Did the buyer sign for the package??
2-Should be proof of whom signed for it from USPS. RIGHT??
3- Maybe his neighbor got the package, ripped it open not noticing it was not his??
4- Is the buyer asking for a refund/ items missing?
Old 10-19-2023, 12:22 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
Sounds like more questions to ask the buy here...
1- Did the buyer sign for the package??
2-Should be proof of whom signed for it from USPS. RIGHT??
3- Maybe his neighbor got the package, ripped it open not noticing it was not his??
4- Is the buyer asking for a refund/ items missing?
It was picked up at the post from the buyer. They left him a pick up slip and yes he signed for it.

He’s asking for a return/refund saying he never opened it. I asked him if the cards are inside and he said he won’t open to look, just wants to return.

I can tell from the pictures that the clear tape under the register mail tape was cut. So clearly someone looked in the box.

Last edited by Popcorn; 10-19-2023 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:44 PM

So annoying. Total jerk behavior. At the end of the day probably not much you can do, but as someone who's sold cards in the past, there's nothing more frustrating than dealing with a customer who wastes your time. Best of luck dealing with it.
Old 10-19-2023, 12:57 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Buyer's a liar: unless you are forced to refund (like via eBay) hang tough and tell him to go **** himself. I'd also go to your local post office and start an investigation. They may have images of the package and his signature.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-19-2023 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2023, 10:43 PM
Eric Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
It was picked up at the post from the buyer. They left him a pick up slip and yes he signed for it.

He’s asking for a return/refund saying he never opened it. I asked him if the cards are inside and he said he won’t open to look, just wants to return.

I can tell from the pictures that the clear tape under the register mail tape was cut. So clearly someone looked in the box.
He signed for it.

Did he receive it and walk out of the Post Office?

If so, I’m inclined to agree with Adam’s line of thinking. Get the Post Office involved. Oh yeah, and tell the buyer to go pound sand.

Currently collecting:
T206 (132/524)
1956 Topps Baseball (190/342)

"You can observe a lot by just watching."
- Yogi Berra
Old 10-19-2023, 11:26 PM
Brian
Bri@n Abra.ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popcorn View Post
I asked him if the cards are inside and he said he won’t open to look, just wants to return.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:48 PM

I'm a buyer, not a seller, and so can comment from that perspective and say everything on that buyers side is messed up---it's not even a credible lie. If it had been tampered with before he got it then the clerk at pickup would have needed to deal with it and he never would have signed for it. Makes no sense.
Old 10-20-2023, 10:58 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

He opened it and now he's trying to steal the content and send it back. What's the eBay name of this assclown? Time to blackball someone.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 10-21-2023, 09:52 AM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty77 View Post
I'm a buyer, not a seller, and so can comment from that perspective and say everything on that buyers side is messed up---it's not even a credible lie. If it had been tampered with before he got it then the clerk at pickup would have needed to deal with it and he never would have signed for it. Makes no sense.
Yes I’m 90-10 the buyer is the one who opened the box. When I asked if the cards were okay he said he’s not touching it and wants a return. Was a very odd and suspicious response. You would think he would refuse the package at the clerks desk if it looked open.
Old 10-27-2023, 09:03 AM
J0hn Collin$

& yes, overall to the OP - this sounds heavily suspicious / like buyer’s fraud to me. I’d call their bluff and refuse a refund, especially if you have proof of a registered mail delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-30-2023, 07:49 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Default The cards

The 30 cards that were purchased:

[IMG]IMG_6309[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6310[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6311[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6312[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6315[/IMG]

[IMG]IMG_6316[/IMG]

Last edited by Popcorn; 11-03-2023 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:56 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

The bottom 24 tobacco cards backs are correct with the fronts in the scans.

The top 6 were flipped in the scanner so the Cy Young bare hand is a sovereign back and the McGann is a cycle back. The Brown is a Sweet Caporal and the Keeler is a Piedmont with paper loss.

Last edited by Popcorn; 10-30-2023 at 09:03 PM.
Old 10-31-2023, 05:52 PM

As a collector and dealer with nearly fifty years of using the USPS and many, many Registered packages coming and going, I can assure you 100% no postal employee would accept or deliver the package shown with the edge cut open(or any of the postmarked area compromised).

As others indicated the Postal Inspector will take the ball and run with it, presumably having a very lengthy(or not) conversation with said purchaser, who will wish he had never tried this little trick.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:05 PM

If you want to DM me the tracking # I can see if the signature is on there.
Old 10-31-2023, 06:22 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecala98 View Post
If you want to DM me the tracking # I can see if the signature is on there.
Tracking sent, thank you!
Old 10-31-2023, 06:21 PM
Christopher
Chr.is Gl@sby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb1 View Post
As a collector and dealer with nearly fifty years of using the USPS and many, many Registered packages coming and going, I can assure you 100% no postal employee would accept or deliver the package shown with the edge cut open(or any of the postmarked area compromised).

As others indicated the Postal Inspector will take the ball and run with it, presumably having a very lengthy(or not) conversation with said purchaser, who will wish he had never tried this little trick.
Yes I’m still waiting on the return. If the cards are missing I intend to go through all the steps with usps fraud department and the police.

I have also used it for many years with 0 problems.

Last edited by Popcorn; 10-31-2023 at 10:13 PM.