NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Patrick N.

Default T205: Newbie Thread

Hi folks, as you may or may not know, I am almost brand new to pre-war collecting and my first obsession are the T205s gold borders. I guess my post relates to the popularity of this issue compared to other pre-war ones. Is this one considered a "classic" or no more so than others? What about rarity, especially compared to T206s? In short, any thoughts about this set compared to other pre-war ones I would appreciate reading and learning about. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2009, 08:20 PM
Marc

The T205 set is definitely one of my favorites. I would certainly call it a classic set. To me it has the best of all worlds. It has a unique look, totally unlike any other set. It has player bios and stats on the back, which sets it apart from the T206 and caramel sets.

It is large enough to be a genuine challenge to complete but small enough that you will not be overwhelmed. With the exception of 3-4 cards, most any card in the set can be found relatively easily and for reasonable prices compared to many other contemporary sets. The multiple back advertisements of different scarcity offer another challenge to those who are interested in that.

With a few notable exceptions, the player selection is excellent with many Hall of Famers and stars as well as a good distribution by team (and even a few Minor Leaguers thrown in). While some strongly disagree, I like the look of the set. Although I must concede that there are a few really ugly cards in the set, I find the artwork to be very attractive on the vast majority of the cards.

Overall, I think no matter what your collecting style or goal, there is much to enjoy with the T205 set.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:23 PM
Patrick N.

Default Thank you Marc...

So why is the T206 so much more sought-after? Is it the Wagner? More variations/backs, etc? From a purely aesthetic point of view, I think the T205has much more appeal. Again, I am a newbie so I know almost nothing on this subject...
Old 11-20-2009, 08:51 PM
Marc

I think that the mystique and value of the Wagner (and even Plank and Magie) card does cause the T206 set to be more sought after. People who have never touched a baseball card in their lives know about the Honus Wagner T206. There really is no card in any other set (with the possible exception of the '52 Topps Mantle) or maybe ANY collectible at all which comes close to that notoriety. Even though few will ever own a Wagner, it is still quite appealing to collect THE set.

The T206's are really the benchmark by which all other pre-war sets will probably be judged. The size of the set, generally outstanding artwork, multiple levels of scarcity on both front and back designs, massive player and team selection and widespread availability of the T206's have rightfully made it the monster that it is.

That said, I also like the T205's more, for many of the reasons I listed in my first post. They are certainly scarcer than the T206's (especially the tougher backs) yet sell for similar prices. I think that they are slowly gaining in popularity as people realize the quality, challenge and value that the set presents. While I don't expect that it will ever rival the T206's as far as popularity, I think by any standard it is one of the top 5 pre-war sets and undoubtedly the easiest to complete.

Last edited by marcdelpercio; 11-20-2009 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Patrick N.

Default Neat,

How much to complete the set in VG condition w/o the big four (?), and how much with them?

Last edited by mintacular; 11-20-2009 at 08:56 PM. Reason: cause
Old 11-20-2009, 09:06 PM
Frank Kealoha Ward

Couple way to look at it...

Id consider both the T206 and T205s as "Classic Sets" but I dont like them much nowadays because they are way to common overall.

I got over 50% complete on both sets when I first got into vintage 25+ years ago, but then got bored and sold them off within a year, they were way too easy. I liked the rarer stuff early on so seaked out the much tougher related or similar sets...

Some collectors like (to collect) cards that others dont have, or are very tough overall ie T204, T208, T209, T211, T212-1, T213-1, T213-3, T214, etc. But now these will cost a lot even in low grade..... back then cards from these other sets often sold for only slightly more than the common tobacco cards (T205, T206, T207).

Thats just me

Last edited by fkw; 11-20-2009 at 09:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Patrick N.

Default Wow

it's strange to realize how things are so relative. For me, it's hard to finish my '57 Topps set and yet to some of you the T205 is a cakewalk...

Last edited by mintacular; 11-20-2009 at 09:15 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Johnny S

It's never a cakewalk to finish any set ! It's also very tough to compare the T206 to the T205 or any other set. The T206 with it's colors, portraits, action shots, and different colored backs is in a league all of it's own. Then add in the readily supply of many of the players and it's a very collectible set for any collector with time and patience. The T205 is definately a classic set but very busy and distracting compared to the T206. As nice as the colors are on the T206, the Caramels get even better but are much tougher to get. The lack of action shots also takes away from the T205 but the colorful frames with the gold borders are very nice. Good luck, my advice would be to get some different types of your favorite team or player. Also, the T202 Hassan triple folders use the same image minus the gold border as the T205 and have a really cool black and white action photo in inbetween two of the cards, a must have for any T205 fan ! Good luck !
Old 11-20-2009, 10:33 PM
Marc

I didn't mean to suggest that it was EASY to complete the T205 set. I have been actively working on it for more than 5 years and just got the final card I needed a few weeks ago. So it's definitely quite challenging. However, there is only one card in the set (the Hoblitzell "no stats") that will break the bank and even that one can be had in low grade for $5-$6k as opposed to $5-$6 HUNDRED k for the T206 Wagner (which is more common than the Hoblitzell by the way). There is not any other card in the T205 set that can't be found for less than $1000 in low grade and probably only about 10-15 that can't be found for under $100. With the other classic sets (T206, T207, Cracker Jack, E90-1, etc.) there are multiple cards that are either virtually impossible to find or will set you back thousands of dollars each, even for a total beater. For those reasons, I'd say the T205 set is the easiest of the bunch but it is still a very major effort.
Old 11-21-2009, 07:45 AM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintacular View Post
How much to complete the set in VG condition w/o the big four (?), and how much with them?
I am guessing that the T205 set is what you are asking about. A normall set without the biggins will probably run you $20K in VG. Depends how you go about collecting. I am well over that mark but I ended up getting side tracked with a backs collection also to break the monotny. Stay away from books unless you are using them for a guide and not pricing. I am sure you will enjoy this set as much as we all have. I went the more challenging way and set a goal of all VG-EX and higher in the master set and now I have 2-3 cards I want with specific backs. Just missed my Joss Cycle but had to pay bills first. I hope you walk the race and not run like I did. I have only been on this set for about a yr
Old 11-21-2009, 10:42 AM
Patrick N.

Default Thanks for the info Andrew,

but I don't think I'll ever be able to spend 20K in my lifetime on cards. I might as well just pick up the Pirates from that set and call it a day. It is interesting to note that the T206 has action poses which excites collectors. I am fine with the portraits on the T205s.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:07 AM

I've got a question about the T205's too. Pup6913 posted a T205 in his "guess grade" thread and I noticed the gold border was a lot more "shinny" than the one's I have. It may be just the scan quality, but it seems vastly different.
Are the borders on the T205's different for the various backs? The one Pup6913 posted was a Sweet Caporal and here is a Piedmont. It seems to have a darker gold border than the Sweet Caporal, so is this just a scan thing or is there more to this. When I look at the Latham side by side with the Schmidt it seems like it's more than just a scan difference, but I know nothing ;-)
Thanks,

Last edited by Tsaiko; 09-03-2010 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 11:26 AM
Fr@nk Jenn!ngs

Collect what you enjoy and what you can afford. If money is a factor, you can do what I do and lower your quality standards. As mentioned above in a previous post, the interesting thing with the T205's is I think they are the first with bio's and stats. An alternate to collecting the whole set is just collecting the basic set without all the variations. That will save you a ton.

r/
Frank
Old 11-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Pup6913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaiko View Post
I've got a question about the T205's too. Pup6913 posted a T205 in his "guess grade" thread and I noticed the gold border was a lot more "shinny" than the one's I have. It may be just the scan quality, but it seems vastly different.
Are the borders on the T205's different for the various backs? The one Pup6913 posted was a Sweet Caporal and here is a Piedmont. It seems to have a darker gold border than the Sweet Caporal, so is this just a scan thing or is there more to this. When I look at the Latham side by side with the Schmidt it seems like it's more than just a scan difference, but I know nothing ;-)
Thanks,
To answer this, and corret me if I am wrong, but some cards have better coating of the border than others. I have many piedmonts that are very thick border coating as well as some with just enough that you can see the ink underneath them. Its all in the printing process.

Also Pat I would recommend lowering your standards for T205's and this in turn will lower cost for the set. I am on the move to take and estimate that it will take another $40K to complete mine in all 4's and higher. Maybe about 20K alone for the Hoblitzell, Mathewson Cycle, Cobb AB, the Willhelms, and Moran Stray line, after thet I am almost under 1k for the rest easily. A common 4 can cost between $30-$60 depending back and most 5's are less than $100 now. 1-3's can be had slabbed for $10-35. Some higher due to backs, eye appeal, and rarity. I say go for it. They are not as plentefull as T206's but if you wait they will come around for the right price.

Andrew