NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-18-2014, 04:07 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Default Any Mattel Instant Replay Fans Out There?

When I was six or seven I got this neat disk player with picture disks of players that looked like little records. The sound quality was atrocious but the disks were way cool. Years later I rediscovered them and started collecting.

The Mattel IR player was a handheld playback device with a tinny sounding speaker that would play small records with snippets of sports moments on them. The player was sold in a boxed set with some disks. Other disks were issued in four-disk blister packs on a sport by sport basis, and in sport-specific eight-disk portfolios with booklets describing the content as well.

The first and by far most common issue were baseball, football and basketball disks, which are black disks with a paper applique sticker that has the artwork and information. The artwork is very '1970s' and appeals to any child of the era, like me.

A secondary issue exists as well, consisting of two-sided picture disks with the imagery in the plastic itself.

These are tougher to find. Hockey disks are found in this series.

Some of the 2 siders have a sports Challenge question logo with generic images on one side and answer-specific artwork on the other.

They are the toughest of the disks, in my experience; I guess they were not popular. I do not recall having any of them. Interestingly, the sports challenge format is the same logo as a later full sized illustrated 33 1/3 rpm record series by Scarab Productions. Both were associated with the syndicated game show/CBS tv show of the era since the logo is the same and Dick Enberg actually talked up the Mattel product on the show in 1973. I guess they were not content to let a crappy idea die so they made their own full-sized disks. Here is a full sized disk:

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...