NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-21-2004, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default Starting a Grading Company

Posted By: steve k 

Any business people or want-to-be business people in this forum? It is said that "necessity is the mother of invention." With all the problems and complaints about PSA and other grading companies...can you imagine a grading company owned and operated by members of this forum? Who wouldn't use it at a reasonable, competitive price? Any thoughts or ideas about this? There are probably plenty of reasons why it couldn't be done, but it would be most interesting to hear the reasons how it could be done to everyone's benefit and profit. And NO - I have no interest in running it or being the caretaker - that would be the job for a known, trusted member of this forum. Besides, I already run my own company as well as other things that I stay busy with. But I definitely would invest in and take the time to contribute. If not having the desire to participate in and own a piece of a business, or fearing competition from PSA, GAI or others, then you need not read the rest of this thread.

Basic rough idea - The cards would be sent to one location. The person at the location would authenticate them. Then scan the card and list the details about it in reference to creases, indentations, etc., which a scan may not pickup, then e-mail the scans and details to a number of members who are experts in grading. I consider myself an expert on 50's and 60's cards - we would have to trust each other on their own evaluation of being an expert. The members would e-mail back their opinions of the grade and the average would be the grade. Maybe the few very high or low grades for the card would be thrown out for calculating the average. I am not familiar with thermoplastic molding processes for encapsulation but plastic molding companies are not hard to find. There would be no payroll expense. A corporation would be formed, the stockholders would share in the grading process work, startup and operating expenses - then the profits would be distributed as voted on. The whole basic idea is that we would design our own system of grading and work hard to strictly abide by our set rules. Word would spread rapidly about our company and then we would be the grading company that people would use to get top dollar for their cards on ebay. Be prepared to work or the business will not succeed - you may receive fifty or many more scans per day and the work not only has to get done, but must be done accurately. We could work on some sort of shift arrangement so the grading doesn't become a daily drudgery. If this idea is not worth pursuing or the obstacles are too great then so be it and we can all, myself included, just keep going on complaining about the grading companies.