NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

Congratulations on closing in on the set Wes with the nice Krammer card.
I always liked the 59 set design and all, but with all the other sets going on I just never got around to starting one. I tend to start out like gangbusters on sets and then slowly burn myself out trying to complete one, like I did with the 55 AA set still setting at half completion. LOL

While I do have "All the cards" in my seventies sets, I never really call them complete as I always seem tohave an upgrade list.

About as close as Ive come is my 1974 and 1976 Topps Football Sets. Both with 31 and 24 cards still on my list even after 30 years of building them.

The funny thing is once I get those cards I just end up going back through the sets and making another want list again! Its a vicious cycle!

Erik

As for the 1974 Topps football...... YES they are brutally tough with centering.
All of the Seventies Topps sets present their own special issues with regards to the centering. I think in the case of the 74's it's the goal Post design that makes the 74's so suseptable to centering and tilts. Those Goal Posts run parelle with the side borders and if they are off even a little it really effects the card. Ive been lucky enough to have obtain lots of nice 74's over the years, as well as purchasing one of the finest raws sets Ive ever seen from my good buddy Mike Tavenner.

Here's a tough one that was on my want list I cracked out last year for my set.

And you probably already know my favorite.

I believe the card is under graded. Its the nicest 74 Staubach Ive ever seen.
When I saw it listed a few years ago I instantly knew I had to have the card.

John

Last edited by BigRedOne; 02-26-2014 at 08:04 PM. Reason: hng
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 AM
Wes.ley Wh.ite

John,

I can say this about the 59 set, it is one of the easiest I have ever done.
Now I did score a big (30-40) lot from a local collector for very cheap, but as far as finding them and in good shape, you wont have any issues.
For some reason, #22 (Can not remember the name) was a hard one to find, so if you can locate one, grab it. They didnt have one on Sportlots, and on EBAY, they only had 3 at the time, and they were not in good shape.

So basically what i am saying is, if you have never started one, dont worry, you shouldnt have much trouble when you do decide.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 AM
Erik

You like Roger Staubach John??? I did not know that.

Seriously, that is a super sharp card!

Your OCD though always gets the best of you as you keep going through your sets upgrading.

Like you said, it is a vicious cycle.
Old 03-22-2014, 09:31 AM
John

Default 48 Leaf

I thought I would keep this thread alive with a set we haven't talked about much - 48 Leaf.

I recently picked up 2/3 cards I need for my PSA set registry sets (if anyone has a lead on a nice Van Buren in the PSA 4.5 - 6 range, please pm me).

I like the Dudley (centering wasn't my priority - it's clean and bright), the Baugh definitely has numerous flaws beyond the obvious ones when you look at it under magnification, but still looks good in my display case (I like the 50 Bowman better, but I wound up selling it to finance this one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 48LeafDudleyBack5.jpg (73.9 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg Baugh_Front_And_Back_4.jpg (73.3 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 48LeafDudleyFront5.jpg (68.6 KB, 191 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:28 PM
Peter

Default Postcard Show Find

I got this original photo of Fritz Hendricks (a halfback for the Carlisle Indians) at a little, local postcard show. This was like finding gold in my backyard! Pre-war, college football, Native American athlete ... couldn't get $30 out of my wallet fast enough!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hendricks.jpg (10.0 KB, 153 views)
Old 06-15-2014, 09:28 PM
Jeff P

Nice pickups, John. And that's an incredible find for $30, Peter! Love stories like this.

Here is a recent pickup of mine.

jeff
Old 06-15-2014, 10:50 PM

Default 1890 Yale v. Princeton ad card/roster card/scorecard

About 4x4. Anyone seen one like it before? Feel free to contact me.

Yale's roster includes William "Pudge" Heffelfinger, who became the first professional football player, and Thomas Lee "Bum" McClung, who became U.S. Treasurer (1909-1912).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0004 (3) copy.jpg (75.2 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0005 (2) copy.jpg (73.4 KB, 140 views)
Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedOne View Post
Erik

As for the 1974 Topps football...... YES they are brutally tough with centering.
All of the Seventies Topps sets present their own special issues with regards to the centering. I think in the case of the 74's it's the goal Post design that makes the 74's so suseptable to centering and tilts. Those Goal Posts run parelle with the side borders and if they are off even a little it really effects the card. Ive been lucky enough to have obtain lots of nice 74's over the years, as well as purchasing one of the finest raws sets Ive ever seen from my good buddy Mike Tavenner.
I have a tough time with these as well. Even with well centered cards, they still look off to me because the goalpost protrudes above the picture, which is what the vertical centering is keyed off of. They should have made the goalpost even with the top of the picture.