NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-15-2016, 02:55 PM

Haha ok dude settle down. I already said the concept behind the scenes were things I enjoyed but the execution of them was poor. They pumped the Blackfish for like 3 episodes, gave him 20 minutes of screen time, passed on a battle, and then killed him off screen. That's not compelling to me. Jamie and Brienne could have had their reunion in a much more effective way and the total 180 of Jamie's character out of nowhere let me down tremendously. And that's what I think. I don't care if you agree. This thread isn't about everyone sharing your opinion. I'm free to have my opinion and you're free to have yours.

Last edited by packs; 06-15-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 05:02 AM
Bill Gregory

You absolutely are entitled to your opinion, and I welcome reading it. But when you make a statement that has no basis in fact (basically saying Brienne's arrival had no bearing on the outcome), that's a different matter.

Jamie has very strong feelings for Brienne. What other rational is there for his not only giving her Oathbreaker, one of perhaps ten swords in the world made of Valyrian steel, but letting her go when he had every justification for having her captured? Sansa, the woman Brienne serves, is wanted for King Joffrey's murder. If, indeed, he cares very deeply for her, a 180 degree turn is not at all surprising.

"The things we do for love."

Remember Jamie uttering that in the very first episode of season one, right before shoving Bran out of the tower window for seeing he and Cersei in a very compromising position? If his feelings are truly as deep as they seem to be, I don't think his actions are at all surprising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Haha ok dude settle down. I already said the concept behind the scenes were things I enjoyed but the execution of them was poor. They pumped the Blackfish for like 3 episodes, gave him 20 minutes of screen time, passed on a battle, and then killed him off screen. That's not compelling to me. Jamie and Brienne could have had their reunion in a much more effective way and the total 180 of Jamie's character out of nowhere let me down tremendously. And that's what I think. I don't care if you agree. This thread isn't about everyone sharing your opinion. I'm free to have my opinion and you're free to have yours.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-16-2016, 08:43 AM

The 180 I was talking about with Jamie was that his character was on an arc of redemption. He begins the series as this cruel, warrior-type that has a blind faith in his name and family. But throughout the series he's wavered in key moments, like when he allowed Tyrion to escape or when he initially came to Brienne's aid. When he lost his hand he seemed to lose some of what he was in the past as well. He goes on this great mission to rescue his daughter and tries to mentor her as a father shortly before she dies, something he wouldn't have done in the past. And then we get to Riverrun where he simply decides he will just continue to be the same Jamie he had always been, with a blind allegiance to Cersei.
Old 06-16-2016, 11:58 AM
qu@n nguy3n

for being just a support character who probably won't be there 'til the end, jamie's arc has been one of the most fleshed out of the show. it's fascinating to see him go from the show's biggest villain in season 1 ("the things i do for love") to slowly turning face and becoming a hero in the eyes of many. i feel his struggle (losing his hand), sorrow (loss of his daughter), rejection by cersei, hopelessness etc etc moreso than my attachment with many other main characters like daenerys or jon snow tyrion (is he a lannister or targaryen?). the show is intentionally ambiguous with the old good guys/bad guys trope so in the end it's up to the viewers to identify who they root for.
Old 06-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Bill Gregory

So, he's conflicted?

How many people in real life, or how many characters have you seen on television that were clearly good, or bad? I don't know why you're surprised that one of George RR Martin's focal characters is unpredictable. Most of the main characters on the show have displayed inner conflict of some kind. Ned Stark was a moral man, his loyalty to the King was unquestionable. Yet, when called upon to be the King's Hand, he was incredibly conflicted. He wanted to stay in Winterfell with Catelyn and his family. And as strong as his loyalty to was, he refused to have Danerys killed on the King's order. He relinquished his position as Hand because it conflicted with his principles.

Catelyn felt conflicted by Jon Snow. He was a constant reminder of her husband's infidelity. Yet, towards the end of her life, she admitted feeling shame for the way she treated him. Yet, she could still never embrace him.

I could go on. The point being none of the characters on this show are one dimensional. They might revert to one path, but they will do things that surprise you. Tyrion Lannister is portrayed, early on, as a miscreant, a drinking, womanizing little monster that embarrasses his father, Tywin. But he's also wildly intelligent, and he is wise beyond his years. He also has a very clear sense of right and wrong. He has surprised me time and time again. Then, he kills his father with a crossbow.

If one thing should be clear after six seasons, it's that nothing is ever really clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
And then we get to Riverrun where he simply decides he will just continue to be the same Jamie he had always been, with a blind allegiance to Cersei.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 06-17-2016, 08:33 AM

No offense man but you act like you can't criticize something if you like it. I like GoT but that doesn't mean it's a perfect thing just because I like it. And it's not perfect because you like it either.

Last edited by packs; 06-17-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-17-2016, 09:11 AM
Bill Gregory

You can criticize whatever you like. I just don't get why you think a character can't act in a manner that differs from their normal personality. Joffrey was sadistic; pure evil. I don't recall, off the top of my head, his ever diverging from that frame of mind. Everybody else in the Lannister family has surprised me, at one time or another, by being out of character. Even Tywin. I could say the same thing about everybody, pretty much, in the Stark family.

Old 06-19-2016, 11:50 PM
Bill Gregory

Absolutely epic! One of the best episodes of the entire series.

Somebody get me an animated gif of Jon Snow beating Ramsay Bolton half to death. Wow.

"You know why people like violence? Because, it feels good."

Why yes, sometimes it does.