NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-06-2016, 03:48 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
you could also get one for free...all you have to do is qualify for the olympics and come in at least third in an event

some girl won a sharpshooting contest at 100m today..19 years old and won the gold for the U.S....but all you would have to do is come in third..

that looks easier than going the basketball route ie. going to NBA, being good enough and go on U.S. Men's Team and winning the gold at the olympics...or perhaps playing for a country you think will come in 3rd and changing citizenship to that team as it will be easier to make than the U.S. Team

and all that saves you the 10k etc..
Never participated in a competitive sport have you Jake? Trust me the $10k would be much easier.

Also it really depressed me when they let paid professionals compete in the Olympics.
Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Never participated in a competitive sport have you Jake? Trust me the $10k would be much easier.

Also it really depressed me when they let paid professionals compete in the Olympics.
Been going on for 100 years probably with other countries like Russia.

E-Sports may be an olympic event someday, than we can talk..

but no events are created equal, people that run the 100m could qualify as a runner for bobsled but no drivers of the bobsled can ever compete in the 100m.

also curling 'athletes' arent in the same league as athletes in the triathelon etc..
Old 08-06-2016, 08:16 PM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:

There have been professionals in the Olympics since the 1896 Games. When they decided to include fencing in the Olympic program it was determined that they should allow fencing masters who made their living by teaching. By doing this they could attract the best fencers of the era. This was done in 1896 in Athens and 1900 in Paris. The first Greek to win an Olympic championship in the modern games was a fencing master, Leonidas Pyrgos.

Up until 1948 you needed to be a military officer to compete in equestrian events, thus a professional rider.

Many of the early competitors in shooting were also military. The whole 1912 U.S. rifle team were in the military - Navy, Army, Iowa National Guard and West Virginia National Guard. It was not limited to officers though. One member of this team as a hospital steward in the Navy. The U.S. Army still has a sharpshooting team in Ft. Benning, GA that produces Olympic shooters

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-06-2016, 08:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

The US Olympic cycling team in 68 was also at least partly military.

Funny story from John Howard one of the team members. He was picked for the team, and like all new recruits had to go to basic training. When he'd take heat for not working hard enough at some stuff he'd tell the officer that he was on the cycling team, which they apparently found more than a bit funny and constantly gave him static about how he'd do in Vietnam.

Right up until he graduated and got his orders- "Report to the US army/ Olympic cycling team training facility"

Now if you like medals, there's a lot out there that's not Olympic but is very cool. Picked up a bunch from Uruguay from a cyclist who rode in the 1920's. Including a national championship medal plus some other stuff.
They hadn't caught on down there, although the soccer stuff had some decent asking prices. The whole batch of cycling stuff was maybe $50. It did frame up pretty nicely.

Steve B
Old 08-06-2016, 09:41 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post
There have been professionals in the Olympics since the 1896 Games. When they decided to include fencing in the Olympic program it was determined that they should allow fencing masters who made their living by teaching. By doing this they could attract the best fencers of the era. This was done in 1896 in Athens and 1900 in Paris. The first Greek to win an Olympic championship in the modern games was a fencing master, Leonidas Pyrgos.

Up until 1948 you needed to be a military officer to compete in equestrian events, thus a professional rider.

Many of the early competitors in shooting were also military. The whole 1912 U.S. rifle team were in the military - Navy, Army, Iowa National Guard and West Virginia National Guard. It was not limited to officers though. One member of this team as a hospital steward in the Navy. The U.S. Army still has a sharpshooting team in Ft. Benning, GA that produces Olympic shooters
I was referring more to basketball and hockey. From personal experience all military personnel was also considered amateur athletes till at least the late 1980's. Not sure if it has changed since then.

EDIT: Very cool display Steve. Somewhere I have a Junior Olympic Gold medal I won back in the 80's for boxing. Back then the Junior Olympics was used to pick people to train for the Olympics. Sadly I never made it to Colorado Springs. I was one of those guys that could beat 99.99% of the people but the very top guys always beat me.

Last edited by bnorth; 08-06-2016 at 09:47 PM.
Old 08-07-2016, 12:23 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

Quote:
I was referring more to basketball and hockey. From personal experience all military personnel was also considered amateur athletes till at least the late 1980's. Not sure if it has changed since then..
I knew that you were mainly focusing on those sports, but wanted to point out how the IOC has finessed the rules. I would rather see U.S. college players in basketball and hockey and not win a medal than the glory hound NBA and NHL players. Christian Laettner is the last true amateur basketball player for the U.S.

"The man who can keep a secret may be wise, but he is not half as wise as the man with no secrets to keep”
Old 08-07-2016, 10:06 AM
$cotty @.utin

The military still has a strong showing at each of the Olympic games. Im biased to the Army, but the lesser services provide some competitors as well.

Here is your 2016 Army Olympians.
http://www.armymwr.com/olympians/soldiers.aspx

Dont forget about your wounded warrior competitors as well:

http://www.armymwr.com/olympians/paralympians.aspx

Added this for good measure, this video about the our wounded warrior athletes is well worth your 10 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM13pvi4JN4

**Be advised- stealthy ninjas cutting onions while you watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael B View Post

Vintage Army Football Collection
http://www.wix.com/armyautin/vintage-army-football
Old 08-07-2016, 12:47 PM
Rob

Back to the original topic, I would have to think the sport and the winning athlete (household name?) would make a HUGE difference in value even if the medals are all the same. e.g Michael Phelps swimming Gold would seem to me way more valuable than a ping pong Gold.