NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-14-2019, 02:20 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Default T206 HOFers that aren't the "big ones"

I am considering adding some graded T206 HOFers to my collection. Obviously, players like Cobb, Mathewson, Johnson, and Young are "the" cards to own. My budget won't always permit that, however. What about the next tier of HOFers such as Tinker (the hands on knees pose is awesome!), Lajoie, Bender, etc? If purchased at a reasonable cost, are they considered solid purchases, too? I figure I would be looking in the PSA/SGC 2 or 3 range. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 04-14-2019 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 02:23 PM
pete ullman

keeler batting is a sweet pose!
Old 04-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Keeler is a nice one. You can get some other pretty great players fairly cheap (compared to Mathewson et al.). Eddie Collins, John McGraw, Ed Walsh, Rube Waddell, Nap Lajoie... Speaker would be at the top of that list, but people think it's his rookie card.
Old 04-14-2019, 04:33 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Keeler is a nice one. You can get some other pretty great players fairly cheap (compared to Mathewson et al.). Eddie Collins, John McGraw, Ed Walsh, Rube Waddell, Nap Lajoie... Speaker would be at the top of that list, but people think it's his rookie card.
Of those names you listed, I have especially thought about Lajoie and McGraw. I guess my hesitation with McGraw is that I would in essence be purchasing several manager cards. He was a larger than life figure though. I am sure there are plenty of McGraw collectors out there.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Anson

Lajoie and Speaker are getting to be pricey too. Some of the others are tough, depending on the pose you want. I would add Baker, Crawford, and Mordecai Brown to your list.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:19 PM
M@rk Lu7z

Default portraits

Some of the portraits of HOF pitchers are very appealing: Walsh, Bender, Marquard, Waddell, Chesbro, etc.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:41 PM

I have always been partial to Waddell Throwing. Beautiful artwork and, as a non-portrait, has not been bid up quite as much lately. Also agree on Keeler w/Bat but he’s a little more spendy.

If you want to go budget try Chance Yellow Portrait or Evers Yellow Sky. Nice looking cards but since there is a larger supply (because they are “superprinted”) they are a little easier on the wallet.

Last edited by sreader3; 04-14-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:02 PM
Andrew Hunt00n

I've always thought the Walsh portrait was underpriced and that it is a very nice looking card that doesn't show up all the time. Just my thoughts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T206 Walsh.jpg (6.6 KB, 407 views)

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Old 04-14-2019, 06:54 PM

I agree - the yellow Chance is a solid card. Chance is a legit HOFer and a Cub (good combo), and because the card was super-printed, there are many around and you can even get a rarer back (plenty combos to choose from) for a decent price. Regardless, buying any t206 HOFer in my opinion is a fine idea.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:23 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for all the input, guys. I also like the looks of the Tinker Hands on Knees. Later this year, I hope to be able to get a red portrait Cobb and perhaps a Mathewson or Big Train.

Last edited by vintagebaseballcardguy; 04-14-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:28 PM

Tinker hands on knees is a good one. Those tend to run a bit pricey, especially in high grades. Not really sure why... Lajoie throwing always for some reason reminded me of tinker hands on knees (and chance batting is very similar to tinker bat off)
Old 04-14-2019, 07:29 PM

There's several threads, if you do a search, that breaks down the various HOF "tiers" in the T206 set...as I wouldn't include Tinker or Bender in the "next tier" as you say.

From memory, but it's been widely discussed here...

1. Cobb, Matty, Cy, WaJo
2. Lajoie, Speaker
3. Collins, Waddell

etc, etc...
Old 04-14-2019, 08:52 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Two thumbs way up for the Collins portrait; just a beautiful card

You might also consider portraits of "the trio of bear cubs"; all three come with the gray "Cubs" shirt.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 04-14-2019 at 08:55 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:08 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreader3 View Post
I have always been partial to Waddell Throwing. Beautiful artwork and, as a non-portrait, has not been bid up quite as much lately. Also agree on Keeler w/Bat but he’s a little more spendy.

If you want to go budget try Chance Yellow Portrait or Evers Yellow Sky. Nice looking cards but since there is a larger supply (because they are “superprinted”) they are a little easier on the wallet.
Agree about the Waddell. Its the only T206 card that I own and its a beauty.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Greg

Zack Wheat, cough cough....

Roy Campanella
Zack Wheat
Pre-War
Jackie, Ruth, Cobb, Tickets, Type 1 Photos, Trout

http://plaschkethysweaterisargyle.blogspot.com

Roy Campanella PC
Zack Wheat PC
Random Vintage
T206s

Successful Net54 Transactions: 10
Old 04-15-2019, 03:25 AM
FredYoung

Default I feel as though--

--ANY HOFer is a pretty safe buy! As far as I know, NONE of them take a sudden dip in price or value. Correct me if I speak in error.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:41 AM

Tris Speaker is definitely at the top of the list below the 4 you picked. Eddie Collins is the most underpriced. He should be in the tier with Speaker and Lajoie, but sells for less. I would also agree with Keeler. Those would be my next 4.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:59 AM

The Lajoie Portrait is definitely knocking on the door of moving "up" in tier, the prices are going in one direction. Plus, it's a GREAT card.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:36 AM
T0dd M@rcum

I like Crawford in that "third tier HOF group." The Baker is probably the last HOFer I upgraded and I think I got a pretty presentable one for $90 or so. I agree Collins is an amazing card...all photographic evidence would indicate that that portrait was done during the six months of his life that he looked the best he ever would.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
I like Crawford in that "third tier HOF group." The Baker is probably the last HOFer I upgraded and I think I got a pretty presentable one for $90 or so. I agree Collins is an amazing card...all photographic evidence would indicate that that portrait was done during the six months of his life that he looked the best he ever would.
Lol...I’ve always thought the same thing.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:55 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Or perhaps Horner was a genuinely gifted artist

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 04-15-2019, 08:29 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Thanks for all the good ideas, guys. I really do appreciate it. Up until recently, I was a set builder (mainly postwar) and had tried that approach the two different times when I dabbled in T206. That approach led to failure. Now I am busting my sets and strictly going the slabbed HOFer route. This has strangely simplified things for me. It just hit me this weekend that this HOFer route could include T206, and I got really excited! Those other times when I tried and failed, it was mainly because I was bogging myself down with commons. This will be a lot more fun, just picking up HOFers of prewar players...and not just T206. I am a little frustrated at the price point of the red portrait Cobb along with Mathewson and Johnson, but I will eventually be able to land one of each of those players, too. For the most part, however, I will be targeting the names you all have been throwing out.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 AM
Mike

Hughie Jennings HOF'er has 3 cards in the T206 set.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:18 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by docpatlv View Post
Lol...I’ve always thought the same thing.
I think if you posted these two photos and you didn't KNOW who it was you'd probably hear," I don't think it's the same guy." "Ears are different." "Don't see the resemblance."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg eddie_collins_photograph_carl_horner)-1 copy.jpg (72.6 KB, 252 views)
Old 04-16-2019, 07:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Of course all of this discussion about HOF T206 cards has led me to surf Ebay, just looking around. You guys have made some great HOF suggestions which have naturally led me to...the Hal Chase pink and blue portrait cards. I just can't get out of my own way! I haven't bought anything at this point, but those two cards are sweet IMHO, even if he isn't a HOFer. Just leave it to me to go off track!

Old 04-16-2019, 07:36 PM

Robert- here's a collecting idea for you. If you like Hal Chase...

Maybe focus on banned players/Black Sox?

Chase, Cicotte, Gandil, Sleepy Bill Burns...Eddie Collins, just due to being on the 1919 Sox, and also being a 3k hit HOFer.

Last edited by MVSNYC; 04-16-2019 at 07:38 PM.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:33 PM
Kenny Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Thanks for all the good ideas, guys. I really do appreciate it. Up until recently, I was a set builder (mainly postwar) and had tried that approach the two different times when I dabbled in T206. That approach led to failure. Now I am busting my sets and strictly going the slabbed HOFer route. This has strangely simplified things for me. It just hit me this weekend that this HOFer route could include T206, and I got really excited! Those other times when I tried and failed, it was mainly because I was bogging myself down with commons. This will be a lot more fun, just picking up HOFers of prewar players...and not just T206. I am a little frustrated at the price point of the red portrait Cobb along with Mathewson and Johnson, but I will eventually be able to land one of each of those players, too. For the most part, however, I will be targeting the names you all have been throwing out.
I went the way you are thinking about a number of years ago and do not regret it at all. I still pick up commons that I think might be elected like Dahlen, or guys like Chase, but I feel no need to pick up a bunch of commons that I could care less about. It might not work for everyone but it sure works for me. Good luck.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:41 PM
David $tephens

I’m a big fans of Eddie Collins and Homerun Baker. Outside the box picks would be Zach Wheat, Iron Man McGinty, and Chief Bender Portrait.
Old 04-19-2019, 02:10 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlesteer View Post
Lajoie and Speaker are getting to be pricey too. Some of the others are tough, depending on the pose you want. I would add Baker, Crawford, and Mordecai Brown to your list.
+1