NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on Ebay
Pre-WWII Cards
Post WWII Cards
Vintage Memorabilia
Babe Ruth Cards
Ty Cobb Cards
Lou Gehrig Cards
Mickey Mantle Cards
Goudey Cards
Bowman Cards
T205s on Ebay
Tobacco "T" Cards
Caramel "E" Cards
Vintage Baseball Postcards
Football Cards on Ebay
Exhibit Cards
Strip Cards
Baking Cards
Sporting News
Playball Cards on Ebay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

View Poll Results: What is your response to the recent PWCC revelations?
1. I wasn't buying from or consigning to PWCC in the first place. 166 34.87%
I will no longer buy from/consign to PWCC. 163 34.24%
I will continue to buy from/consign to PWCC. 78 16.39%
I haven't decided 69 14.50%
Voters: 476. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:41 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default Poll: response to recent PWCC revelations

It's anonymous so please be candid.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,940
Default

Not seeing the poll, Peter.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:44 PM
vintagebaseballcardguy's Avatar
vintagebaseballcardguy vintagebaseballcardguy is offline
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,940
Default

Never mind...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-12-2019, 02:55 PM
Stampsfan's Avatar
Stampsfan Stampsfan is offline
Bob Davies
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Posts: 776
Default

I'm done with those guys. No need to feel anonymous.
__________________
Successful transactions on Net54 with greenmonster66; Peter_Spaeth; robw1959; Stetson_1883; boxcar18; Blackie
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

I doubt many here will agree with my point of view publicly but I have not seen any direct evidence of PWCC's involvement besides the acknowledgment of the relationship with Moser and a few cards supposedly bought using their Ebay ID that were later conserved and resold.

I am bidding in their current auction.

The first time I wanted to sell a few cards but didn't know how to go about it ir even whether or not to use a 3rd party or AH. I did some research on my own, talked to a few members here, and decided to send them to PWCC. I was pleased overall with the results and even pleasantly surprised by a few of them. They have received every card I've consigned since. Except for a couple I didn't want to auction.

Unless some direct evidence comes to light implicating them I don't see that changing in the near future.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-12-2019 at 05:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:13 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Excerpt from a 2008 email from Brent in an exchange about why he was selling cards for Gary.

"I'm not ignorant, and I know what Gary does for a living..."
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:30 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I doubt many here will agree with my point of view publicly but I have not seen any direct evidence of PWCC's involvement besides the acknowledgment of the relationship with Moser and a few cards supposedly bought using their Ebay ID that were later conserved and resold.

I am bidding in their current auction.

The first time I wanted to sell a few cards but didn't know how to go about it ir even whether or not to use a 3rd party or AH. I did some research on my own, talked to a few members here, and decided to send them to PWCC. I was pleased overall with the results and even pleasantly surprised by a few of them. They have received every card I've consigned since. Except for a couple I didn't want to auction.

Unless some direct evidence comes to light implicating them I don't see that changing in the near future.
To paraphrase Paul Simon, a man sees what he wants to see and disregards the rest. The willful blindness here is truly astounding. I do hope you haven't been burned in your past dealings and don't get burned in your future ones. Or maybe if your cards are altered you don't care, I don't know. If a decade long relationship with a man who appears to have altered cards to the tune of millions of dollars doesn't do much for you, then nothing will, not even the email I posted, you'll just spin that too. But hell if someone can believe Sandy Hook didn't happen, anything is possible in this crazy world.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:34 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

I am not convinced that any AH has refused to accept consignments from all known or suspected card doctors in the past. I assume they all have accepted them at one point or another. Perhaps they knew and perhaps they didn't. But in the end I don't think it matters. Ban one name and someone will find a way to submit under another.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:36 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I am not convinced that any AH has refused to accept consignments from all known or suspected card doctors in the past. I assume they all have accepted them at one point or another. Perhaps they knew and perhaps they didn't. But in the end I don't think it matters. Ban one name and someone will find a way to submit under another.
None of that has anything to do with your statement about direct evidence about PWCC. You're changing the topic.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 06:37 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
None of that has anything to do with your statement about direct evidence about PWCC. You're changing the topic.
Both points are relevant. The email you posted proves Brent knew what Moser did for a living. Assuming the email was from him. It doesn't even prove that Moser was submitting under his own name. Not to mention that anyone at pwcc knew of specific cards being altered or that they were directly involved in the alterations and grading as others have alleged.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:39 PM
Dpeck100's Avatar
Dpeck100 Dpeck100 is offline
David Peck
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 811
Default

I answered yes I would keep buying in their auctions.

PWCC is just an EBAY auction house to me. They have consistently gotten the best cards and if the cards leave them I will go there. I have had nothing but very positive dealings with them and while I mindful of what is happening around me I have no interest in blocking myself from the market.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is online now
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 5,802
Default

The bank officer is held up at gunpoint and tells the gunman, “Go ahead and shoot. If you don’t kill me, the next bank robber will. I have no evidence that either gun isn’t loaded.”
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - RAUCOUS SPORTS CARD FORUM MEMBER BUT CLEARLY........

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION


518/1000 Monster Number

Over*760* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-19.
Over 550 sales with satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.



Now nearly PQ.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:44 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
Both points are relevant. The email you posted proves Brent knew what Moser did for a living. Assuming the email was from him. It doesn't even prove that Moser was submitting under his own name. Not to mention that anyone at pwcc knew of specific cards being altered or that they were directly involved in the alterations and grading as others have alleged.
Believe what you want out on your limb, I don't care any more.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:56 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Believe what you want out on your limb, I don't care any more.
You may be right, and you may not. I'm just not convinced. I don't think I'm out on a limb as far as you think I am. And I still don't think this will bring down PWCC or PSA. Unless it leads to someone new entering either market and gaining the trust of the hobby.

I could see someone coming out with a better grading method capable of detecting the alterations PSA and bgs have apparently been missing. Maybe then an auction house will be started promising only to sell cards that can be guaranteed unaltered. If enough people buy into it things could change. Perhaps a second grading scale will be developed that takes a card's current state and level of alteration or restoration into consideration.

But however it plays out it will be interesting to see.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
You may be right, and you may not. I'm just not convinced. I don't think I'm out on a limb as far as you think I am. And I still don't think this will bring down PWCC or PSA. Unless it leads to someone new entering either market and gaining the trust of the hobby.

I could see someone coming out with a better grading method capable of detecting the alterations PSA and bgs have apparently been missing. Maybe then an auction house will be started promising only to sell cards that can be guaranteed unaltered. If enough people buy into it things could change. Perhaps a second grading scale will be developed that takes a card's current state and level of alteration or restoration into consideration.

But however it plays out it will be interesting to see.
I agree with you there, it will definitely be interesting and there are lots of aspects to it. And there is no question there are many culpable parties in this mess, but in my opinion that doesn't excuse a specific culpable party.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM
CobbSpikedMe's Avatar
CobbSpikedMe CobbSpikedMe is online now
Andy H.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
You may be right, and you may not. I'm just not convinced. I don't think I'm out on a limb as far as you think I am. And I still don't think this will bring down PWCC or PSA. Unless it leads to someone new entering either market and gaining the trust of the hobby.

I could see someone coming out with a better grading method capable of detecting the alterations PSA and bgs have apparently been missing. Maybe then an auction house will be started promising only to sell cards that can be guaranteed unaltered. If enough people buy into it things could change. Perhaps a second grading scale will be developed that takes a card's current state and level of alteration or restoration into consideration.

But however it plays out it will be interesting to see.
Jesse, purely out of curiosity, what would you be looking for as proof that PWCC knowingly sold doctored cards other than what has come out so far. Are you waiting for video evidence of Brent physically taking cards from Moser with audio of them discussing the alterations? I'm seriously just curious what you need to read/see to have even a slight distaste for PWCC or PSA at this point. Not trying to argue at all.
__________________
I'm always looking for t206's with purple numbers stamped on the back like the one in my avatar.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:12 PM
Chris Counts's Avatar
Chris Counts Chris Counts is offline
Chris Counts
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bay Area, California
Posts: 1,117
Default

I never bought from these guys before because they're winning bids were so high, and there was a lot of talk about shilling. But now, with all the negative publicity certain to scare off at least some of their customers, I'm looking at their auctions and trying to find some low grade or undergraded bargains.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:13 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

I just don't think the auction house is where the focus should be. It's almost irrelevant to the situation in my opinion. The cards were altered to one degree or another and certified by the most trusted grading companies in the world. Any auction house would have accepted them.

Many of these cards that were outed simply had something removed from the card. If the card doctors are skilled enough to remove a stain with no trace, what is there to detect? These cards shouldn't be in the conversation at all. Unless you have a problem with those doing the altering.

Cards that were trimmed, recolored, or rebuilt (corners) are the issue. How was this not detected? Especially on modern cards that should all measure 2.5 by 3.5. These are the cases were it seems clear fraud was committed. And someone at the grading company has either been paid off or they're just incompetent. These cards shouldn't just slip through the cracks. But again, once they're graded how is the auction house supposed to know? They don't spend hours looking through every similar card sold previously. They don't have the benefit of before and after scans.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:17 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

If I didn't sell the drugs to that guy, someone else would have. So what?

I agree there are lots of places that need focus, absolutely, but that doesn't minimize the role of a major ebay seller knowingly enabling a card doctor, in my always humble opinion. And no he is not the only one by any stretch, but he's put himself in the crosshairs by all the good for the hobby stuff and complete hypocrisy, and the paper trail, so he will reap what he sowed, or should anyhow.

You want evidence? He was disproportionately stickering Moser cards and recommending that people like the 52 Bowman Musial guy buy them. To the tune of hundreds of thousands of dollars or more.

By the way I suspect we have not heard the last of all the modern trimmed stuff sold through PWCC either.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 07:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:21 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
Jesse, purely out of curiosity, what would you be looking for as proof that PWCC knowingly sold doctored cards other than what has come out so far. Are you waiting for video evidence of Brent physically taking cards from Moser with audio of them discussing the alterations? I'm seriously just curious what you need to read/see to have even a slight distaste for PWCC or PSA at this point. Not trying to argue at all.
If there was truly something that crossed the legal line in this Moser / PWCC relationship and they were in it together I think there would be some proof short of video evidence. Payments, emails back and forth. If Brent was buying cards, sending them to Moser to doctor, then sending them into PSA directly to be graded, and finally selling them on his own site there would be some kind of evidence left behind. Especially if it's been going on for a decade or more. Something coming out along these lines would convince me.

My guess is that at best PWCC looked the other way when taking these consignments and didn't ask which cards were altered. And I also assume this was not unique to PWCC, but was going on everywhere to one degree or another. I realize that if I'm proven wrong I'll never hear the end of it. And that could happen. I just don't see it at this point.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:25 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If there was truly something that crossed the legal line in this Moser / PWCC relationship and they were in it together I think there would be some proof short of video evidence. Payments, emails back and forth. If Brent was buying cards, sending them to Moser to doctor, then sending them into PSA directly to be graded, and finally selling them on his own site there would be some kind of evidence left behind. Especially if it's been going on for a decade or more. Something coming out along these lines would convince me.

My guess is that at best PWCC looked the other way when taking these consignments and didn't ask which cards were altered. And I also assume this was not unique to PWCC, but was going on everywhere to one degree or another. I realize that if I'm proven wrong I'll never hear the end of it. And that could happen. I just don't see it at this point.
Looking the other way knowing damn well who you're dealing with, and then recommending people buy the cards as investments, would be more than enough for me, and I assume for most people.

Would you feel the same way if he was taking cards from someone he knew to be the best counterfeiter in the hobby? Oh, but he didn't know that specific card was counterfeit, they didn't discuss it. So what?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:30 PM
CobbSpikedMe's Avatar
CobbSpikedMe CobbSpikedMe is online now
Andy H.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
I just don't think the auction house is where the focus should be. It's almost irrelevant to the situation in my opinion. The cards were altered to one degree or another and certified by the most trusted grading companies in the world. Any auction house would have accepted them.
So even with all the evidence proving that PWCC sold hundreds of altered cards for (so far) close to a million dollars, you still don't think they should be part of the conversation. We aren't talking about an AH not knowingly taking a few altered graded cards and selling them. We are seeing proof of this activity happening repeatedly hundreds of times by the same two guys. You don't think they both know what's going on?
__________________
I'm always looking for t206's with purple numbers stamped on the back like the one in my avatar.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-12-2019, 07:45 PM
Copa7's Avatar
Copa7 Copa7 is offline
Chuck Zso.lnai
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: New York / Florida
Posts: 298
Default pwcc poll

I believe each to his/her own.

But for the record, I prefer to know those that are OK with buying from PWCC. At least this way, I know not to purchase from those when they try to liquidate their tainted collection.
__________________
Collecting vintage soccer
Collecting pre-war baseball
Collecting vintage horse racing (wanted: tobacco cards and pins)
Set in progress: 1994 Upper Deck World Cup autographed
Set in progress: 1938 Konig Fussball
Sub set in progress: 1910-12 Sweet Caporal pins - Philadelphia Athletics - 4 of 11 complete (need: Baker, Murphy, Plank, Krause, Davis)

Successful transactions:
aro13
edsj
commishbob
jpaol99
Gonzo,
abroom
Brianp-beme
Dboneesq
Chris Counts

Last edited by Copa7; 06-12-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:16 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
If I didn't sell the drugs to that guy, someone else would have. So what?.
In that situation, much like this one, I would be concerned with the guys producing, growing, transporting, etc. Escobar, El Chapo, than i would be the guys selling 20 bags on the street. But that's different because no one could unknowingly sell an 8 ball. Everyone involved knows they're breaking the law.

But should some of these drugs even be illegal? That's an issue for another discussion.

I'd also be much more concerned with someone becoming a billionaire by convincing doctors across the country to get people hooked on oxy than a doctor who wrote a few too many scripts.

Go to the source if you want to fix the problem.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:19 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

To me there are three issues here of equal importance. The card doctors. The sellers enabling the card doctors. And the TPGs (hopefully due to incompetence not fraud) slabbing doctored cards. I think all three need to be addressed and I'll take intervention at any and all levels.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:20 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobbSpikedMe View Post
So even with all the evidence proving that PWCC sold hundreds of altered cards for (so far) close to a million dollars, you still don't think they should be part of the conversation. We aren't talking about an AH not knowingly taking a few altered graded cards and selling them. We are seeing proof of this activity happening repeatedly hundreds of times by the same two guys. You don't think they both know what's going on?
What if someone starts digging into heritage, rea, goldin, etc and finds before and after scans for a few hundred cards? Should we stop buying from all of them? Should we automatically assume the AH is at fault?
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:24 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
What if someone starts digging into heritage, rea, goldin, etc and finds before and after scans for a few hundred cards? Should we stop buying from all of them? Should we automatically assume the AH is at fault?
Again, Brent has admitted knowing he was selling altered cards for Gary. This is not in controversy. I think the case against each other seller would have to depend on the facts. I strongly suspect many of them knew exactly what they were doing, and in at least one other case of an AH I have had that conversation, but I don't have the same level of evidence nor has the same overwhelming circumstantial evidence yet been uncovered.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 08:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 PM
CobbSpikedMe's Avatar
CobbSpikedMe CobbSpikedMe is online now
Andy H.
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Belle Mead, NJ
Posts: 1,272
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
What if someone starts digging into heritage, rea, goldin, etc and finds before and after scans for a few hundred cards? Should we stop buying from all of them? Should we automatically assume the AH is at fault?
Yes.
__________________
I'm always looking for t206's with purple numbers stamped on the back like the one in my avatar.

The Great T206 Back Stamp Project: Click Here
My Online Trading Site: Click Here
Member of OBC (Old Baseball Cards), the longest running on-line collecting club www.oldbaseball.com
My Humble Blog: Click Here
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:00 PM
Kenny Cole Kenny Cole is online now
Kenny Cole
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copa7 View Post
I believe each to his/her own.

But for the record, I prefer to know those that are OK with buying from PWCC. At least this way, I know not to purchase from those when they try to liquidate their tainted collection.
This. I voted that I would never buy/consign from them again. I'm good with that. I am stunned by the level/number of people who are OK with being lied to and defrauded, but I get that stuff trumps all and for some people, the number on that flip is all that matters.

That "proof" argument? Pleeeeease. Give me a break. The very fact that you would even make that argument says so much. I agree that I hope that everyone who feels that way identifies themselves so I don't ever make the mistake of dealing with you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:06 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
This. I voted that I would never buy/consign from them again. I'm good with that. I am stunned by the level/number of people who are OK with being lied to and defrauded, but I get that stuff trumps all and for some people, the number on that flip is all that matters.

That "proof" argument? Pleeeeease. Give me a break. The very fact that you would even make that argument says so much. I agree that I hope that everyone who feels that way identifies themselves so I don't ever make the mistake of dealing with you.
I guess emails aren't proof these days.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:13 PM
Kenny Cole Kenny Cole is online now
Kenny Cole
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,171
Default

You can't fix either stupid or willful ignorance. Now, I just want to know who they are so I can avoid them.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:19 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
You can't fix either stupid or willful ignorance. Now, I just want to know who they are so I can avoid them.
As unscientific as the poll is, I am encouraged that the number saying they will stop is twice as large as the number saying they will continue.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:23 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I guess emails aren't proof these days.

A wise man once said


Stuff trumps all


Please dont come crying here, or to PSA when a majority of your "best cards" are proven altered or suspect. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Amirite? I, for one, wont feel the least bit sad for you. Me thinks "the best stuff", "investment grade", "eye appeal", "highest prces" "sparkly stickered: are 75% altered or shilled. Qo der how the pwcc fan boys are sleeping at night.
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps
381/407


"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post
A wise man once said


Stuff trumps all


Please dont come crying here, or to PSA when a majority of your "best cards" are proven altered or suspect. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Amirite? I, for one, wont feel the least bit sad for you. Me thinks "the best stuff", "investment grade", "eye appeal", "highest prces" "sparkly stickered: are 75% altered or shilled. Qo der how the pwcc fan boys are sleeping at night.
Whoever that was knew what he was talking about.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:26 PM
Republicaninmass Republicaninmass is offline
T3d $h3rm@n
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,934
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Whoever that was knew what he was talking about.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
__________________
SIGNED 1952 Topps
381/407


"Trolling Ebay right now" ©
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:27 PM
pokerplyr80's Avatar
pokerplyr80 pokerplyr80 is offline
je.sse @rnot
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: California
Posts: 3,278
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
This. I voted that I would never buy/consign from them again. I'm good with that. I am stunned by the level/number of people who are OK with being lied to and defrauded, but I get that stuff trumps all and for some people, the number on that flip is all that matters.

That "proof" argument? Pleeeeease. Give me a break. The very fact that you would even make that argument says so much. I agree that I hope that everyone who feels that way identifies themselves so I don't ever make the mistake of dealing with you.
If you're the kind of person who passes judgement on others before the facts are out, and have a problem with me stating my opinion on this forum, than I would prefer not to do business with you either. My Ebay ID is the same as it is here. Block it. I won't lose any sleep over your decision.

I've had several successful transactions wwith no issues here and other places. I will find a place to buy and sell my cards when the need arises.
__________________
Successful transactions with peter spaeth, don's cards, vwtdi, wolf441, 111gecko, Clydewally, Jim, SPMIDD, MattyC, jmb, botn, E107collector, begsu1013, and a few others.

Last edited by pokerplyr80; 06-12-2019 at 10:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:37 PM
vintagetoppsguy's Avatar
vintagetoppsguy vintagetoppsguy is offline
D@v!d J@m3s
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Richmond, TX
Posts: 5,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
To me there are three issues here of equal importance. The card doctors. The sellers enabling the card doctors. And the TPGs (hopefully due to incompetence not fraud) slabbing doctored cards. I think all three need to be addressed and I'll take intervention at any and all levels.
If all 3 were of equal importance to you, why was PWCC the only one in your poll?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If all 3 were of equal importance to you, why was PWCC the only one in your poll?
I am not nearly smart enough to design a poll encompassing all three areas at once, but by all means you should.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:41 PM
Kenny Cole Kenny Cole is online now
Kenny Cole
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerplyr80 View Post
If you're the kind of person who passes judgement on others before the facts out, and have a problem with me stating my opinion on this forum, than I would prefer not to do business with you either. My Ebay ID is the same as it is here. Block it. I won't lose any sleep over your decision.

I've had several successful transactions wwith no issues here and other places. I will find a place to buy and sell my cards when the need arises.
Excellent. I will do that. I think you are a moron.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-12-2019, 09:42 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
If all 3 were of equal importance to you, why was PWCC the only one in your poll?
Have you read any of my posts savaging Sloan's response, by the way? If not read them and come back and make the absurd suggestion that I am not just as focused on PSA.
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 09:44 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:00 PM
mechanicalman's Avatar
mechanicalman mechanicalman is offline
Sam Sw@rtz
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 993
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Cole View Post
Excellent. I will do that. I think you are a moron.
Kenny, how do ad hominem attacks advance your argument?
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:03 PM
Kenny Cole Kenny Cole is online now
Kenny Cole
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Norman, OK
Posts: 1,171
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
Kenny, how do ad hominem attacks advance your argument?
They don't. But if you read the posts, I think you might come to the same conclusion.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:09 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,963
Default

This reminds me of the news headline we have all seen over and over again....

“Lots of citizens announce they are preparing to move out of the country if _______ elected President”.

Yeah sure. And you know how many of them follow through and move out of the country? None of them.

Huge chasm between the chest thumping of what people say they are going to do and what people eventually end up doing.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 PM
kmac32's Avatar
kmac32 kmac32 is offline
Ken McMillan
Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ponte Vedra, Florida
Posts: 2,116
Default

Doesn’t bother me one way or the other. The old addage of buy the card not the holder applies.
__________________
Favorite MLB quote. " I knew we could find a place to hide you". Lee Smith talking about my catching abilities at Cubs Fantasy camp.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:22 PM
Snapolit1's Avatar
Snapolit1 Snapolit1 is offline
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 2,963
Default

Maybe I’m a broken down pathetic beyond the pale cynic, but Im guessing there are probably people out there crapping all over PWCC hoping that the nonstop negative publicity has the effect of suppressing interest (and sale prices) in upcoming auctions.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM
RedsFan1941 RedsFan1941 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 996
Default

maybe
__________________
R0nnie L3hman
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 PM
vtgmsc vtgmsc is offline
Mike P.ap
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,441
Default 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
Doesn’t bother me one way or the other. The old addage of buy the card not the holder applies.
If you have been around long enough before the TPGs AND if you have dealt with cards your entire life and have dealt honorably and had an eye for "off" cards then you buy cards in holders that you KNOW are not tampered with. There will be many bargains soon because so many naysayers are scared of everything.

I for one love the fact that folks will boycott certain sellers. More goodies for me.

Show some confidence in your abilities to detect "off" cards. Damn. I've been spotting doctored cards in TPGs for years. Many years before this "storm".

I will say that SGC has always been very good at spotting "off" cards. So have I.

Buy the card, not the holder. Are there any confident collectors left?

Peace, Mike

Last edited by vtgmsc; 06-12-2019 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is online now
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 18,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
If you have been around long enough before the TPGs AND if you have dealt with cards your entire life and have dealt honorably and had an eye for "off" cards then you buy cards in holders that you KNOW are not tampered with. There will be many bargains soon because so many naysayers are scared of everything.

I for one love the fact that folks will boycott certain sellers. More goodies for me.

Show some confidence in your abilities to detect "off" cards. Damn. I've been spotting doctored cards in TPGs for years. Many years before this "storm".

I will say that SGC has always been very good at spotting "off" cards. So have I.

Buy the card, not the holder. Are there any confident collectors left?

Peace, Mike
I can detect many off cards, but especially without the ability to see the edges, there is NFW I can detect some of the work of the superstar card doctors, and I am skeptical most people if anybody can. Are you seriously saying that without the before pics you can find the flaws in every card that's been outed on BO?
__________________
Stuff trumps all. Even tainted stuff.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 06-12-2019 at 10:28 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:27 PM
Fballguy's Avatar
Fballguy Fballguy is offline
Rob
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: CT and TX
Posts: 810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
Maybe I’m a broken down pathetic beyond the pale cynic, but Im guessing there are probably people out there crapping all over PWCC hoping that the nonstop negative publicity has the effect of suppressing interest (and sale prices) in upcoming auctions.
Fool me once...

It's your money man...Have at it.
__________________
R0b G@@13t
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 06-12-2019, 10:35 PM
leaflover leaflover is offline
Mike Ryan
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California
Posts: 375
Default

I love dining out and buying Baseball cards.

LA County Health Dept. allows a tolerable amount of rat urine to be on plates in restaurants before closing them down. I still eat out.
PWCC is auctioning over 17,000 cards in their current action. If 17 of those cards have been altered and gotten by the TPGs that is only 1/10th of 1 percent. I'll take my chances and bid.

Like I said I love BB cards and dining out.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brent/PWCC interview on recent controversies Stonepony Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 204 05-27-2019 06:33 PM
PWCC Recent Closings Exhibitman Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum 8 03-29-2018 05:05 PM
Recent PWCC Auction Snapolit1 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 2 09-08-2016 01:50 PM
SMR response to recent 1914 Cracker Jack surge (or lack thereof) Gobucsmagic74 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 7 08-04-2014 05:36 PM
In light of recent revelations are you more or less confident in TPA? RichardSimon Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used 19 01-21-2012 01:20 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:59 PM.


ebay GSB