NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-30-2019, 05:45 AM
Je.rry Spillm@n

It is the purpose of killing. Food/Pleasure. Please don't unite the two.

Pulling a trigger and watching a great animal bleed to death in pain for personal pleasure so as one can place his/her foot on it for a heroic photo shoot. Make handbags out it - perhaps cutting head off to hang in their home. That's a Sport?

Torture a bull by spearing it, then as it's bleeding, drive a sword-blade through its brain for the pleasure of watching. Cheer the swordsman.

Nothing to do with hamburgers.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrys View Post
It is the purpose of killing. Food/Pleasure. Please don't unite the two.

Pulling a trigger and watching a great animal bleed to death in pain for personal pleasure so as one can place his/her foot on it for a heroic photo shoot. Make handbags out it - perhaps cutting head off to hang in their home. That's a Sport?

Torture a bull by spearing it, then as it's bleeding, drive a sword-blade through its brain for the pleasure of watching. Cheer the swordsman.

Nothing to do with hamburgers.
So you have never hunted or fished with friends/family?

No matter what, think about this. We as older men pay money, sometimes a lot of it to buy pictures of younger athletic men in uniforms. Let that sink in, then bash other peoples hobbies/sports.
Old 06-30-2019, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I can't stand bullfighting. The matadors should all be shot in the head if you ask me. Period. And the people cheering them on should all be in jail.
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down. That said, I do eat meat so am a hypocrite in that sense. Maybe those shooting these animals should have the same thing done to them and see how they like it?

And back to the bullfighting for a second. How does any human take joy in seeing a matador slowly kill a bull and show all of that pain and misery. It is no wonder other cultures are the way they are towards dogs and other animals. Absolutely despicable if you ask me. It is outrageous. Actually, it would be nice if all of the matadors were impaled with a sword through their abdomen so everyone can watch them die a slow and painful death, just like they do to the bulls. Then we can see how well that goes over for the crowds. My guess, they would still be cheering as they are freaking low mentality idiots.

Last edited by Leon; 06-30-2019 at 06:47 AM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down.
Not a hunter, but....

What would those ways be? I'm sure it's possible in other areas, but in most of New England, deer have few natural predators left, and haven't for decades.
In some areas, especially some of the state parks, their population will easily get way out of hand, and an unchecked population is damaging to the environment.

I grew up in areas where hunting for food wasn't uncommon. My 5th grade teacher hunted regularly, but hadn't killed deer in several years. Either he didn't find one, or in at least one instance tracked one for most of the day, briefly had a shot, but it was one of those "large buck backlit by near sunset" moments and he just didn't shoot.

When I was in college one of the smallish parks near Hartford had a yearly hunt that was closely monitored. The place could support maybe 250 deer, but was usually figured at a bit over 300. Every year there would be protests.
That year they had a new ranger, who was a bit harsh. At the inevitable public meeting he gave opening remarks about how in winter deer died, and it was part of his job to remove them to keep the park looking nice for the people that used it. Followed by a slideshow of some of the more grizly ones from the previous winter. I won't give details, but it was said to be pretty disgusting. He offered to call off the hunt if he got enough volunteers to help with the cleanup caused by not allowing it.
No takers, hunt proceeded.
He was somewhere else the next year.

A lot of the conservation that happens wouldn't happen without funding from license fees, federal duck stamps etc.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Al Richter

Default Deer are dumb... people too

There is a clip of a radio call in show ( likely a spoof) where a woman claims that authorities are foolishly placing deer crossing signs in high traffic areas and that they should be moved to more rural areas so that the deer can safely cross in less traffic

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 07-01-2019 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 04:52 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
As for killing animals in the name of conservation, I say bull crap to that too. There are other ways to keep populations down.
I have never personally put a condom on a wild animal (let's just be clear on THAT,) but I suppose it could be done.....
Old 07-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark17 View Post
I have never personally put a condom on a wild animal (let's just be clear on THAT,) but I suppose it could be done.....
Now that is a sport i would pay to watch.
Old 07-01-2019, 06:50 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
Now that is a sport i would pay to watch.
Especially if it was squirrel monkeys.

Who knew?

https://wokesloth.com/stoned-thief-b...ys/stefan/?utm
Old 07-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Sean McGinty

I find the idea of hunting giraffes (vulnerable to extinction) and other endangered/near endangered species for sport to be extremely obnoxious and am fine with these people being criticized for that. I have friends who hunt ducks and deer and I have no problem at all with that, its one thing to hunt non-endangered animals for food in your own neck of the woods. Its another entirely for some spoiled rich kid to spend tens of thousands of dollars to fly to another country and kill an animal whose population is in terminal decline because that is what stokes their ego.

At the same time though, poaching for the Chinese market is a way bigger threat to those animals than rich American hunters are.

With bullfighting I just don't understand why it has to be lethal to the bull. Portugese bull fights aren't lethal to the bull for example.