NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-01-2019, 07:47 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
The guarantee is not ambiguous at all. It covers marketplace purchasers (that was the whole point) and certainly applies to altered cards that were originally given numerical grades. PSA does not dispute this. The issue, rather, is application of the guarantee in individual cases, where they can control their payout just by sticking with the original grade.
In theory they can also change the rules and say properly 'restored' cards can still be a PSA 6 etc

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
In theory they can also change the rules and say properly 'restored' cards can still be a PSA 6 etc
You mean change their definition of what they consider unacceptable alterations? I suppose, but it's hard to believe they will given 25+ years of operating under the same definition.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:54 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
You mean change their definition of what they consider unacceptable alterations? I suppose, but it's hard to believe they will given 25+ years of operating under the same definition.
Rules do change. There may be small print to read that may say that as well, who knows. When its about subjectivity there is always much more leeway...
Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I hear you, Jeffery has still never answered if his client PWCC is going to send out gift baskets to their supporters like Mastro did. I know I offered my support IF the gift basket was nice enough.
I sent mine back
Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 AM
T!.m H.
Tim Hu,nt

Quote:
So if the card has gone down in value does PWCC only owe a partial refund?
Possibly, depends on how the lawyering goes... if it is proven that PWCC does guarantee a profit, then the decision becomes what is reasonable???
Successful B/S/T deals with asoriano, obcbobd, x2dRich2000, eyecollectvintage, RepublicaninMass, Kwikford, Oneofthree67, jfkheat, scottglevy, whitehse, GoldenAge50s, Peter Spaeth, Northviewcats, megalimey, BenitoMcNamara, Edwolf1963, mightyq, sidepocket, darwinbulldog, jasonc, jessejames, sb1, rjackson44, bobbyw8469, quinnsryche, Carter08, philliesfan and ALBB, Buythatcard and JimmyC so far.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:13 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalupacollects View Post
Possibly, depends on how the lawyering goes... if it is proven that PWCC does guarantee a profit, then the decision becomes what is reasonable???
PWCC to me has never Guaranteed a profit on their cards. Again it’s just an opinion. It’s marketing.

Still People hate on PWCC I’m not saying they’re saints, not by any stretch!

What I’m saying is if PSA was doing their job correctly and honestly we wouldn’t have these numerous issues. PSA is a Central Figure Of Most of the Problems In fact they’re the Major Facilitator of 99% of all Altered Slabbed Cards. I hope some serious lawyering turns the tables and throws this back on their asses bigly.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-01-2019 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:19 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny630 View Post
PWCC to me has never Guaranteed a profit on their cards. Again it’s just an opinion. It’s marketing.

Still People hate on PWCC I’m not saying they’re saints, not by any stretch!

What I’m saying is if PSA was doing their job correctly and honestly we wouldn’t have these numerous issues. PSA is a Central Figure Of Most of the Problems In fact they’re the Major Facilitator of 99% of all Altered Slabbed Cards. I hope some serious lawyering turns the tables and throws this back on their asses bigly.
Not 99 percent. There are some major modern card doctors who have used Beckett heavily.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 AM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Correct, tens of thousands of trimmed modern sitting in BGS slabs including some of the hobby’s highest profile cards.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:46 AM
Johnny MaZilli

My point is throw it back on all the TPG’s whom have outed altered cards slabbed with grades In their holders... PSA Beckett and SGC.

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-01-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 11:52 AM
Peter Spaeth

2020 PSA Service Pricing and Submission Update

Hello Hobby Enthusiasts,
On behalf of the staff at PSA, thank you for your incredible support during 2019. The hobby continues to grow as more and more people either discover the joy of collecting for the first time or return to the hobby of their youth.
As you likely know, PSA has been busy. Thanks to your support, we eclipsed four milestones this calendar year. The first three were surpassing the 33 million, 34 million and 35 million collectibles certified thresholds. The fourth was authenticating and grading the 1,000,000th Pokémon card in our history.
All the while, we have been working diligently to expand our capacity to better service the demand for PSA services. As our milestone achievements indicate, we have had good success in this effort. That said, we are still building upon our foundation to expand even further.
Looking ahead to 2020, PSA has left its core service levels and pricing largely unchanged. We have added two new service levels and adjusted some declared value parameters. Visit this webpage to review the changes. These changes will go into effect on January 1.
We have come a long way in 2019, backed by an effort to listen to your feedback and improve your submission experience with PSA. Here is a quick overview of some these improvements:
• Turnaround Time Updates – updated each Monday using actual order processing data from the week prior, collectors can access current estimated lead times.
• New Order Tracking Bar – our new order tracker provides you with detailed, step-by-step updates for your submission as it moves through the PSA system.
• Online Label Correction Service – using our website, customers now can initiate a label correction before the collectible leaves our facility.
• Set Registry Achievement Program – earn virtual rewards and receive encouragement as you collect and compete on the PSA Set Registry.
PSA also expanded its Customer Service and Sales Account Management teams and added resources to service our East Coast and Japanese collecting bases. Looking ahead to 2020, expect more improvements to our customer service, turnaround times and holder security.
At PSA, our goal is to lead the hobby through accurate, impartial third-party grading and free, educational collecting content. I hope we have been able to deliver these benefits to your own personal collection this year.
Enjoy Collecting (in 2019, 2020 and beyond),

Steve Sloan
President, PSA

Old 12-01-2019, 11:57 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Teflon !!!
Old 12-01-2019, 12:13 PM
Ma.tt Lan.dry

Quote:
Teflon !!!
Maybe. But considering this just broke and June and typical turn times are 100 days, it shouldn’t be surprising that things are BAU. Why wouldn’t they be?

We tend to think of companies like PSA as being big, because they are big in our hobby. Which is actually small.

All that said, John Kapon / Acker Merril sold 100s of millions in fake wine and are still leaders in their space so who knows. Wine collectors are as dense and as immature as card collectors, so maybe nothing does come of this.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:16 PM
Peter Spaeth

Deny, minimize, contain, reassure, deflect.

Old 12-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Deny, minimize, contain, reassure, deflect.
Absolutely +1
PSA All They Do is Win Win Win No Matter What !
Old 12-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I don’t answer your questions. Do I look like someone who answers to you?
Always kinda looked like Hal Chase to me...
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-01-2019, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Now THIS smells like a class action opportunity, no?
We're just spit ballin here...
Let's Say Every PSA Cert Number was an actual person in this Class Action Law suit! And the List kept getting bigger and Bigger And BIGGER!

And then the PSA Bubble got Busted!
Well, it took like 7-10 years fir the GAI Slab to become obsolete, jus a quick thought!?

"How Long do ya think it'll take fir the PSA Slab to become extinct?"
Old 12-01-2019, 09:12 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

My over/under is 8 years. But wish that number was lower.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
My over/under is 8 years. But wish that number was lower.
I will take the over. This hobby is way too shady to let a few whiners on a couple forums bring down the cash cow. Anybody in for a group submission?
Old 12-01-2019, 09:31 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I will take the over. This hobby is way too shady to let a few whiners on a couple forums bring down the cash cow. Anybody in for a group submission?
Over as well. I cannot see the hobby returning to a raw card model, not with the millions upon millions invested already in registry sets and other slabbed cards. And there is no meaningful competition now or on the horizon. I think PSA weathers the storm.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-01-2019 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:41 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Over Agree with Peter for all the above reason I posted before.
Old 12-01-2019, 09:57 PM
Peter Spaeth

And a nice sticker too.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=171

Old 12-01-2019, 10:49 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Lots of cardboard missing on that one. I guess it’s not the first time Little Joe was deemed short.

What if we put a 1 in front of the 8? Would anyone here bet the under at 18?

Last edited by perezfan; 12-01-2019 at 10:55 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Jason Seidl

Is there a full list sorted by cert #?
Old 12-02-2019, 02:08 PM
Glyn Parson

Quote:
Lots of cardboard missing on that one. I guess it’s not the first time Little Joe was deemed short.

What if we put a 1 in front of the 8? Would anyone here bet the under at 18?
As long as the hobby exists as a place where large sums of money are spent on cards professional
Grading will remain a fixture. It may be a different company it may have different parameters than today but it will exist as long as big money is being spent in the hobby. If grading does it will be because a large part of the hobby dies with it.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:15 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
As long as the hobby exists as a place where large sums of money are spent on cards professional
Grading will remain a fixture. It may be a different company it may have different parameters than today but it will exist as long as big money is being spent in the hobby. If grading does it will be because a large part of the hobby dies with it.
People can talk down saying the fact no civil lawsuits have been filed mean nothing in terms of the problems of the hobby

however i am not sure how we can be discussing the closure of million dollar businesses when not even a single lawsuit has been filed. (please correct me if i am wrong as i have not checked court dockets across the country, i just assume someone would of mentioned one on this or the other forums i look at)\

Yes I know Mastro this and that so it could happen without much but this involves so many more layers and time and cards changing hands and issues for bigger disputes etc....my opinion..

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 12-02-2019 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 03:29 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Fully agree that card grading won’t go away in our lifetimes. But it could adapt, and have a vastly different look before we kick the bucket. Perhaps it’s the way cards are graded, perhaps it’s improved methods for detecting alteration, perhaps it’s a company that spends more time analyzing the cards, perhaps it’s a company that caters to collectors rather than shareholders, perhaps they ditch number grades in favor of descriptive ones, perhaps a company will enter the fray with a different take altogether.

I’d support a TPG that could simply deem a card as being unaltered, provided they could do it effectively. I know others would as well. Maybe there’s a niche for those who don’t give a hoot about the Registry, or paying 1000 times more for a card because it “appears” to be mint. I just have a hunch that something different will come along as the “mistakes” continue to be revealed. And if the FBI does intervene, it will only serve to accelerate the process.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-02-2019 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:27 PM
M@rk S@tterstr0m

Quote:
I’d support a TPG that could simply deem a card as being unaltered, provided they could do it effectively. I know others would as well. Maybe there’s a niche for those who don’t give a hoot about the Registry, or paying 1000 times more for a card because it “appears” to be mint. I just have a hunch that something different will come along as the “mistakes” continue to be revealed. And if the FBI does intervene, it will only serve to accelerate the process.
I wish SABR would create a subsidiary that, like their current retrosheet.org website, would be basically non-profit. But the grading could ensure a stable operating stream for everything else they do, by charging nominal fees.

In terms of integrity, knowledge and respect for the history of the game and so on, they are top notch. And with their organization doing the grading without a profit motive, at minimum any mistakes made would be honest ones.

Is anyone here a member of SABR? It would be an ambitious effort, but is it something they might at least be willing to look at?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Peter Spaeth

Nice short sale.

https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=182

Old 12-03-2019, 05:40 PM
Jeremy W.

PWWC can't absorb all of these possible returns, can they?
Old 12-03-2019, 05:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyW View Post
PWWC can't absorb all of these possible returns, can they?
Maybe Johnny will pitch in to try to save himself with the government.

Old 12-03-2019, 06:03 PM
Johnny MaZilli

Quote:
Maybe Johnny will pitch in to try to save himself with the government.
Who is gonna Gonna Roll First ?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:16 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
People can talk down saying the fact no civil lawsuits have been filed mean nothing in terms of the problems of the hobby

however i am not sure how we can be discussing the closure of million dollar businesses when not even a single lawsuit has been filed. (please correct me if i am wrong as i have not checked court dockets across the country, i just assume someone would of mentioned one on this or the other forums i look at)\

Yes I know Mastro this and that so it could happen without much but this involves so many more layers and time and cards changing hands and issues for bigger disputes etc....my opinion..
I don't understand why you assume people would report their legal goings on to you or this board.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 12-03-2019, 06:35 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Just imagine if there was a way to notify all of these "winning" bidders that they paid an enormous premium for a fake PSA card?

What's been revealed to date likely represents under 2% of all the slabbed/numbered/altered cards in circulation. But what if that measly 2% were made aware of how badly they were duped? And what if that 2% all submitted for refunds? It would create enough liability to bankrupt the entire Mount Rushmore of "Bad Actors"... Johnny, Gary, Brent and Joe O.

If eBay never made their misguided decision to block identities, the sh*t would've already hit the fan.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Johnny MaZilli

The old squeeze play might occur on a few of these crum bums
Old 12-03-2019, 06:48 PM
Albert Bee

Default outed

Been following this for a long time

very interesting...how many " duped" big time collectors ...who got ripped off to the tune of -?..$500-$2000 ....what have they done about it ?

Im guessing a lot of anger...maybe embarrassment ( imagine telling a loved one or friend what happened ? ) people you know who have often said to you over the years - " Dude, you crazy spending that kind of money on baseball cards ".... Do you tell them ?

Do you call PSA ( yea right ! ) and demand a full refund

Do you break the card out of the slab ( to prevent this from ever happening again ? ) ..and then stare at the $1500 mistake you made ?

Do you pretend the card is still legit....even though the proof is there ?
Old 12-03-2019, 06:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Just imagine if there was a way to notify all of these "winning" bidders that they paid an enormous premium for a fake PSA card?

What's been revealed to date likely represents under 2% of all the slabbed/numbered/altered cards in circulation. But what if that measly 2% were made aware of how badly they were duped? And what if that 2% all submitted for refunds? It would create enough liability to bankrupt the entire Mount Rushmore of "Bad Actors"... Johnny, Gary, Brent and Joe O.

If eBay never made their misguided decision to block identities, the sh*t would've already hit the fan.
I believe that where cards are listed on the registry, the BODA guys make an effort to contact the owners.

There have also been instances where PWCC has notified winning bidders.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-03-2019 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:52 PM
Peter Spaeth

Ebay was certainly a better place where you could track what the known card doctors were buying, and you could see who was bidding stuff up.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 12-03-2019 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:08 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Ebay was certainly a better place where you could track what the known card doctors were buying, and you could see who was bidding stuff up.
… and you could effortlessly message both the Buyers and Sellers. I used to reach out to winning bidders to congratulate them, and sometimes offer them an instant profit if I fell asleep at the wheel. It was a very useful feature. Just imagine if eBay re-enabled that function. Thousands of fraud victims could easily be made right in no time.

Last edited by perezfan; 12-03-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
… and you could effortlessly message both the Buyers and Sellers. I used to reach out to winning bidders to congratulate them, and sometimes offer them an instant profit if I fell asleep at the wheel. It was a very useful feature. Just imagine if eBay re-enabled that function. Thousands of fraud victims could easily be made right in no time.
Ebay is not interested in preventing fraud, we know that.

Old 12-04-2019, 07:10 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
I don't understand why you assume people would report their legal goings on to you or this board.
with 1000s of cards...i would expect there would be many easy ones 'i got back my $200 bucks' etc....not a big secret...

plus others have already talked about PWCC reaching out to them.

this is a web baseball card discussion forum.....it wouldnt be unheard of for some people to share some things..
Old 12-04-2019, 07:55 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Jake what are your thoughts on this, Do think PWCC will attempt to recover damages via a large monetary civil lawsuit against PSA for all the bad cards they're buying back?
I can't see them just eating the cost of all these buy backs. All hypothetical... Prove we knew these cards were altered, we just crack and resubmit cards we believe to be under graded, we have no ties to such and such submitter's......we all have ideas on whom from the blowout discoveries.

Just wondering your thoughts?

Last edited by Johnny630; 12-04-2019 at 07:57 AM.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:09 AM
Ste.ven Lich.tman

Do you seriously believe PWCC is in any position to sue PSA? Is this an early April Fools joke or do you really not understand what is going on here? PSA can break into the PWCC Vault and get caught on video and PWCC couldn’t/wouldn’t sue them.

Quote:
Jake what are your thoughts on this, Do think PWCC will attempt to recover damages via a large monetary civil lawsuit against PSA for all the bad cards they're buying back?
I can't see them just eating the cost of all these buy backs. All hypothetical... Prove we knew these cards were altered, we just crack and resubmit cards we believe to be under graded, we have no ties to such and such submitter's......we all have ideas on whom from the blowout discoveries.

Old 12-04-2019, 08:11 AM
pete ullman

Quote:

does PWCC have insurance? Or am I mis-remembering?
Old 12-04-2019, 08:14 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGeorge View Post
Do you seriously believe PWCC is in any position to sue PSA? Is this an early April Fools joke or do you really not understand what is going on here? PSA can break into the PWCC Vault and get caught on video and PWCC couldn’t/wouldn’t sue them.
Yeah i not touching his question. My viewpoints are just on these end buyers with the tainted cards and their recourse or whether they are all be taken care of or are they having problems

We thus far heard 'being addressed'
Old 12-04-2019, 08:16 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
does PWCC have insurance? Or am I mis-remembering?
Now that would have to be the strangest insurance policy of all time.
Old 12-04-2019, 08:35 AM
Johnny MaZilli

Yes
Old 12-04-2019, 09:51 AM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Now that would have to be the strangest insurance policy of all time.
Yeah, one that pays off on restitution for doing sketchy stuff...

Maybe if it's the dumbest insurance company ever.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:12 AM
Albert Bee

Default out

Have any Net 54 members identified themselves on the site,as having been ripped off by all this trimming/cleaning underhanded stuff ?

I guess it could be awkward/embarrassing ...but curious - have they stopped collecting ?..stopped buying from PSA ? ...stopped buying slabbed cards ?
Old 12-04-2019, 01:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Fats gets a little thinner.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...&postcount=189

Old 12-04-2019, 03:10 PM
Dan Marke1

Quote:
Good ol' Fats Henry. One of my great uncles, William "Bill" Markel was a teammate of his at Washington and Jefferson College back in the day.

"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain