NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-25-2022, 04:39 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illustrious View Post
I had posted this in the Post War section last week, but I thought posting here might be more appropriate since it was a dedicated thread to the 1947 Bond Bread Jackie.

I bought this card 2 years ago thinking this was the regular base set 1947 Bond Bread Jackie Robinson, but when I sent it to SGC for grading, it was sent back saying "cannot/do not grade", insinuating this card was not from the 1947 set. After it came back, I bought a common card from the actual 1947 set that I knew was legit, and I could tell the difference then in hand, since I could touch and feel them side by side. The Jackie card I have is the exact same size as the authentic 1947 common card, except it's stock is not as thick as the cardboard the authentic common is printed on. The best way I can describe it, is that it's thinner than cardboard, but thicker than a magazine/comic cover, if that makes sense. Is my Jackie card from a later unauthorized reprint set? It's definitely old, which you can see in the pics and in hand. Any ideas on what "imposter" this could be?

Just curious. Have you read this whole thread?
Old 05-25-2022, 06:35 PM
Frank Wakefield

Illustrious,

Do you have a black light? A uv light? Illuminate the back of the card that you're sure is genuine, then do the same to that Robinson. The greater the difference, the greater your concern should be, I'd think.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:14 AM
pete ullman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Just curious. Have you read this whole thread?
im sure people have attempted to recreate the rounded/cut corners on the imposters attempting to deceive...and in some cases they likely have...even the TPG'ers.

This thread has all the info needed to tell the diff.

I got duped a few years ago...and have a "newer" J robinson in my PC binder.

These are all over FB these days being sold as Bond Bread.
Old 05-26-2022, 07:31 AM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

This thread has a boatload of information regarding the Bond Bread set and the copies/imposters. Pretty sure it will answer many if not all of your q's. I know it answered mine.

Here is my Jackie Robinson, front and back for comparison. I purchased this along with the other 23 way back in May of 1990 from the Baseball Card Society.

What I know up to now, it is part of the Festberg find. I kept all the BBCS documentation and even the receipt. So, I at least can track it back to there. No further for me though.

There are many here that are experts in this set and the surrounding 'sets'. So, the information in the posts are solid as far as provenance goes.

Regards

Butch..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0036.jpg (200.5 KB, 701 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN0037.jpg (92.0 KB, 701 views)

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.

Last edited by butchie_t; 05-26-2022 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:05 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

I believe that it is still an open question as to the exact nature of the square-cornered cards that David Festberg sold. I do not believe that they are counterfeits made to deceive collectors: there was much better stuff to fake than dollar cards, and they didn't bother with the DiMaggio, which was the most valuable card at the time. You'd think a counterfeiter would skip Bob Elliott and go with Joe D. In my view the most likely explanation of the find was new old stock consisting of a print run of one sheet of the cards from the set that were printed and cut for something but never used for some reason, then were found in the 1980s. The print date and printer and reason for printing them, that we don't know.

But I could be wrong. I just haven't seen any compelling hard evidence as to the actual origins of these cards, nor do I think we will ever do so. That is not to say they are originals of the 1947-49 period, just that precisely what they are is still unknown. My view is get one on the cheap to have but don't say it is a RC.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-26-2022 at 12:07 PM.
Old 05-26-2022, 12:22 PM
β∪τ∁ℏ †∪RΩεΓ

I did just that back in May of 90 when I did buy the 24 card set from the BBCS. I believe they are old I just do not know how old.

Regards,

Butch

Completed: 1969 - 2000 Topps Baseball Sets and Traded Sets.

Senators and Frank Howard fan.

I collect Topps baseball variations -- I can quit anytime I want to.....I DON'T WANT TO.