NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Default Newsboy Cabinet ends early on ebay

Posted By: Seth B.

Who bought this? Great card... I loved the circular cameo portrait of Van Haltren.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220196941402&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Old 01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian Weisner

I have a guess, but I won't use it... Needless to say, we were all watching these... Be well Brian

Old 01-31-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Hey there Brian,
Yeah, I figured it wouldn't slip past anyone, I just wanted to see a sale price.

I guess as far as the buyer of this gorgeous 19th century piece goes, we can at least rule out Leon, right?

Best,
Seth

Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Oh well, live by the sword, die by the sword... Win some, lose a lot more... I hope the seller got a good price on the card... To the SOB that got this piece.... NICE JOB, enjoy it!

Old 01-31-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Hi Seth,
I bet you dinner at the National it was an East Coaster...smiley.. and good for him... Be well Brian

PS I wish everyone well....

Old 02-02-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Shawn

Anybody know who swiped these yet? I figured they would show up here on the pickup thread Since everybody was watching these they must be valued more than I was thinking... Anybody have a guestimate?

Shawn

Old 02-02-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

I have it from a reliable source that the person that "won" the items is someone we know, but wouldn't expect. I would like to know too.... But I wouldn't ask anyone to break there word. Be well Brian

PS Great pick up...

Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott L

Hell, I don't even collect cabinets and I'm curious as to who got these? Are you guys fairly confident that they'll show up here at some point?

Edited to add: That is a really cool looking piece.

Scott

Old 02-02-2008, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

The way the last couple of guys who got sellers to end an auction early were blasted here after they admitted it, I don't think the guy who "won" these is going to surface publicly. Just my opinion....

Old 02-03-2008, 07:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Guys-

I picked these up. I guess if people feel a need to blast me for it, so be it. I am sort of expecting that from this, but I don't feel I need to go into some sort of bunker over this. I'm not going to go into all the specifics, but there was bidding after the bidding ended...and I did raise my offer dramatically, and I would assume a few from the board may have been involved in that (not that I saw anything wrong with that either).

I suppose a good portion of the folks from this board have asked someone to end an auction. I guess my side of it is I've been on the other end as well, where your left wondering after having something on your watchlist what happened after it just dissapears.

I don't know what I am doing with both just yet, obviously with just having scans of the fronts it is a bit of a gamble, I never did ask for back scans. I may keep both, may keep one, may trade them for something else of interest down the line...i'm not in any big hurry.

To those that did send "blind" congrats I appreicate it.

Dave

Old 02-03-2008, 07:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Congrats and thanks for owning up to it. The way ebay is this is expected and I personally don't have any ill feelings about someone that does it. I have done it too. I never used to but then we discussed it a few years ago and I found I was one of the few who didn't ask to shut them down. Now I don't see anything wrong with asking. I hate that sellers do it, and I don't, but ebay sucks and this is one of the things that sucks about it. Unfortunately I think you got it fair and square in the ebay wild west....take care

Old 02-03-2008, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Dave, as the starter of this thread, all I have to say is, great pick up! I'm glad it's a board member, just make sure to share some scans with us when it arrives...

-Seth

Old 02-03-2008, 10:32 AM
Administrator

Hi Dave,
Congrats on the pickup.... I guess my intel was correct.

Be well Brian

PS I wasn't one of the ones bidding after...

Old 02-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I was hoping it was Bruce Babcock but then realized he already had both subjects. He's getting close to completing the set (baseball content), it would be great if he could score one or two on eBay.

My approach the last couple years when I want a tough item on eBay is to ask the seller not to end early. Make my interest very clear and ask that if they do end early that they please give me a fair shot at it. The approach has worked well and has probably saved me money as the hammer price is usually below what I'd have to offer the seller to end early.

Best Regards,
Joe Gonsowski

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Sweet!!!! Nice pick-up... Excited to see better scans and the backs... Nice job Dave.

Shawn

Old 02-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff W.

Dave

Congrats on the pick-up! As one who just started collecting 19th century rarities, those two Newsboys look outstanding.

Jeff W.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:28 PM
Administrator

Thanks everyone. The biggest thing now will be seeing what shape the backs are in. I'm a little scared that with the fairly nice fronts it wouldn't be that far of a stretch to think these could have been pulled from an old album and the backs are in bad shape...I hope not, but you never know.

I know Bruce B is probably the big time expert on these...does anyone know at what rate these are found with the ad backs? How commonly found? Any price adjustment for that?

Dave

Old 02-03-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dave- almost all Newsboys are blank backed.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Thats what I figured Barry. But I thought I remember seeing one on JC's website at one point that did have an ad. Must be rare as all get out.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Dave- I've seen or handled at least a dozen Newsboys, and I can't recall ever seeing an ad back.

Old 02-03-2008, 02:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Alan Elefson

Hi-
Dave, great pickup! Below is a link to an extremely informative website on Newsboys. I believe most of the adbacks are actresses, but I could be wrong.
http://www.newsboys.co.uk/

Link courtesy of 1880Nonsports on the Nonsports Forum

Alan Elefson

Old 02-03-2008, 03:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bruce Babcock

The article with the link above is a very good one. I was aware of the ad backs but have never seen one in person. Parke Wilson is very tough. Perhaps fewer were saved because he wasn't well known and is not pictured in uniform. Nice pickups!

Old 02-03-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

Dave- Congrats, glad to see that one of the good guys picked them up. Also glad the comments about your acquistion are certainly nicer than some of the rancid ramblings I've seen in the past. You are lucky you didn't have anyone from this board email the seller and threaten to have him bounced from ebay unless he terminated the sale. There are a couple of jerks here who get their kicks that way, luckily just a few...
tbob

Old 02-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Administrator

Dave, since I guess I can't ask what you paid...still curious as to what everyones takes are as to value on these cabinets?

Shawn

Old 02-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tom Boblitt

and I have it labeled 'Van Haltren' back........I also had 3 with advertising on the FRONT........in black script at the top of the cabinet. I bought them off ebay and sold them to a collector in Hawaii.......They had 'Baum and Bernstein, Clothiers' on the front. Had Van Haltren and 2 more. Will post pictures when I can get ahold of 'em.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:10 AM
Administrator

Shawn-

I don't really have any clear take on value. I myself at least found very few recorded sales and most the ones I did find are HOF sales that wouldn't apply. I did find one sale for the Wilson in a 2005 auction...but something 3 years ago not sure how you'd equate a price fluctuation to today. I guess its possible the value could be up slightly or down slightly. It was lot #62 in the auction and there is a picture of the card still available if you click on the lot.

http://www.americanmemorabilia.com/AuctionTotalsDetail.asp?aucperiod_id=15

Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Administrator

Tom-

Would be great to see if you can find the images.

Thanks
Dave

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: 1880nonsports

was the hawaii guy a hotelier?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:51 AM
Administrator

doesn't seem to be as active now as then........

Old 02-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Back of a Newsboy............
I have the image titled 'Van Haltren Back', so I ass-u-me that it was Van Haltren........

Note the 'Baum & Bernstein' taglines on the top FRONT of the Newsboys. Backs were blank if I remember correctly. Scans don't really do the cabinets justice. They were REALLY beautiful cabinets. Bought all three from an ebay user after buying one at auction on ebay.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Thanks for posting these Tom. Unfortunately mine did not have the ad back...picked them up this morning.

Dave

Old 02-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Administrator

Seth and Shawn-

Old 02-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Dave,

You're right, too bad they don't have the ad back. They're pathetic... wanna sell 'em? Nice PU amigo. I'm sure you're already beginning to enjoy them!