NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2009, 10:31 AM
Dan Bretta

Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:43 AM
Peter Spaeth

Default speaking of auction houses

Wouldn't it be interesting if they disclosed who their consignors were.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Dan....prepping of cards

He also came back on the board and said they quit doing that. I think to true collectors there are mixed feelings on removing a crease or wrinkle. I am sort of undecided on it myself but I might also be the large minority and most might have an issue with it....At any rate, if I am not mistaking, they said it wasn't worth the benefit for the grief (or perception) and they quit doing it. I am pretty sure they aren't the only auction house that was doing it.....For the record Scott B and I made it a rule not to touch a card, from day 1. best regards
Old 05-13-2009, 10:52 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
For the record Scott B and I made it a rule not to touch a card, from day 1. best regards
That must make shipping cards very difficult Leon?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:58 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Barry I love ya man I hope you know that!

But if I’m being honest I’m a little surprised that you are so quick to disregard Kevin’s comments. As a person purely your choice but you are a rare exception here and walk the fine line of a collector/fellow member but more importantly a leading auction house.

Not saying we string anyone up but as an auction house owner not sure I would be so publicly forgiving of Kevin’s comments.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-13-2009, 11:19 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
He also came back on the board and said they quit doing that. I think to true collectors there are mixed feelings on removing a crease or wrinkle. I am sort of undecided on it myself but I might also be the large minority and most might have an issue with it....At any rate, if I am not mistaking, they said it wasn't worth the benefit for the grief (or perception) and they quit doing it. I am pretty sure they aren't the only auction house that was doing it.....For the record Scott B and I made it a rule not to touch a card, from day 1. best regards
And Kevin came right back on the board and said he was lying. I feel like the pitchforks are coming out for him here and I just don't get the feeling like this guy was duping us all in the same way that Patrick Chan was doing. I understand the birds of a feather thing regarding his association with Scott Elkins (and if anyone should hold a grudge against him it should be you), but should we also get the pitchforks out for Jim Rivera who worked with Elkins on the Black Old Mills? I've found in the sports memorabilia hobby it's hard to sometimes separate the good guys from the bad guys and there seems to be a lot of intermingling....even a few folks at some of the esteemed grading companies don't seem to have the most stellar background in this hobby. In the memorabilia hobby there is a lot of behind the scenes rumblings about who is doing what, but not a lot really gets done.....and I think the main reason is one of the overall driving factors - someday this guy may have something I 'NEED' for my collection.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:24 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

One thing I always found really odd was the direction Kevin took on some of these things.

“I wish...but no. Although I can make many or some of the colors disappear and come close, I don't know of a way to keep the yellows, name, borders and the light shades. Yellow ink is about the 2nd to go. I've tried man many times to recreate this and can't come close to the detail.”

Why do you have to try and make forgeries and altered/trimmed cards to understand them or know how to debunk them? Perhaps I can see this on a very very small percentage of things where having firsthand knowledge could come in handy, but on others it makes no sense to me.

Example Kevin trimming cards…plenty of trimmed cards out there to look at to know what to look for no need trimming cards and sneaking them past grading companies.

Bleaching cards why? We know why the T206’s below are the way they are they missed part of the color process of the lithography printing process. No mystery why to try and replicate them which he clearly says he’s tried above?

I was able to examine the Old Mill OP and debunk those and even explain to you guys what to look for and why they were bad. I didn’t need to make a stamp and start making my own overprints to understand what to look for too debunk them...this method has always seemed very odd to me.

Also we bust on grading companies all the time how does figuring out ways to sneak things past them make the situation better or make their jobs any easier. I agree with the person who compared it too sneaking a knife past airport security your no National hero just kind of a putz.

Most of that sneaking stuff past PSA and SGC stuff was self serving at best to make Kevin appear to be smarter than the 3rd party guys no wonder they didn’t welcome him with open arms.

And after seeing what Kevin wrote in those emails perhaps it was self serving in more way than one…just food for thought.

Cheers,

John
Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Most of that sneaking stuff past PSA and SGC stuff was self serving at best to make Kevin appear to be smart
How smart can he be to expect that a cretin like Elkins wouldn't somehow screw up and release that ridiculous email to the world?
Old 05-13-2009, 04:14 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
How smart can he be to expect that a cretin like Elkins wouldn't somehow screw up and release that ridiculous email to the world?
As a person who represents many cretins I must protest at having my clients lumped in that grouping! Now my clients who are idiots and morons would be OK with it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 05-13-2009 at 04:15 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Barry Sloate

Hey John- allow me to rephrase:

I think what Kevin said in the email was dreadful, but unless I am forgetting something he seemed to be a straight shooter up until you posted that. Do I think he is being honest when he says he didn't mean what he said? Probably not, but I'm giving him a few points for past good behavior. I do understand you are angry, however; and you have been a great friend so I will support you, of course.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:49 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Hey John- allow me to rephrase:

I think what Kevin said in the email was dreadful, but unless I am forgetting something he seemed to be a straight shooter up until you posted that. Do I think he is being honest when he says he didn't mean what he said? Probably not, but I'm giving him a few points for past good behavior. I do understand you are angry, however; and you have been a great friend so I will support you, of course.
Barry I'm not the least bit angry with you just so we are clear..confused was more my stance.

And I understand the point system..LOL
Old 05-13-2009, 11:44 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by slidekellyslide View Post
even a few folks at some of the esteemed grading companies don't seem to have the most stellar background in this hobby
Just imagine IF we had a situation where the fox was guarding the henhouse.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:48 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Doug Allen came right on this forum and said that Mastro auctions "prepares" cards for grading which included removing creases.
Very true Dan, and Doug has also been called out before for shady stuff.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/15365...+Beloved+Hobby
Old 05-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Mike Mccullough

Quote:
Thank goodness Mastro isnt around anymore.

As a casual highend cardbuyer all this talk of altering, doctering etc,,, is rather disturbing. Im really glad I dont collect oddities, seems like to me this is the biggest area to fraud someone. After reading this the so called experts of detecting this type of behaviour may in fact be the ones to worry about.
Very disturbing.