NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 05-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Thank GOD you clarified "and not dead". Great pick up Ben. Nice to see you haven't lost your touch on those type 1's,
Old 05-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Max Weder

He's in the movies now (or at least was back then)

Old 05-12-2012, 11:22 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
Thank GOD you clarified "and not dead". Great pick up Ben. Nice to see you haven't lost your touch on those type 1's,
Thanks mike.. It is a prerequisite jimmy, that Beatles lot is crazy good. You have to have one of the premier Beatles collections out there.
Vandy painting is just spectacular...

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Gust-O Baseball Game

Gusto-O Baseball Game - E.W. Forney & Co., Joplin, MO

I haven't posted much of anything here but this one is unusual. I couldn't find the game in Mark Cooper's tome and did get some insight at the BB Game forum.

But we're not sure when it was produced - perhaps the 30s?

It's a simple game - where ya set the wheel to the far right until it hits the "stop" - snap your wrist counter-clockwise which shifts the 'counter-balanced' wheel in the same direction - then just look at the arrow for the "outcome."

Unfortunately the box was repaired in the worst way with adhesive tape - but at least it's present in some form - a major plus!

And just as important to a game collector - having the original instructions - and in this case it's also the "playing field" - tho nothing to artistically appreciate.

If anyone has seen this game before or has any information please let me know.

It's the first one I've noticed - the gents in the 'front office' at the Game Forum saw one about a year ago sans the box and instructions - so - as I said - I feel privileged to have both.

Thanx for viewing and thanx for all the posts - I saw some really incredible stuff - as usual.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Shale Levine

Great pickup Mike, I lamented bidding on it since I had gone over my spending budget this month. Now I wish I had bought it, I searched High and Low on the internet for this and I believe you may have a very rare game. congratulations and by the way you can see most of my collection on the forum in the mancave room.

Shale
Old 05-13-2012, 03:16 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyman55 View Post
Great pickup Mike, I lamented bidding on it since I had gone over my spending budget this month. Now I wish I had bought it, I searched High and Low on the internet for this and I believe you may have a very rare game. congratulations and by the way you can see most of my collection on the forum in the mancave room.

Shale
Thanx Shale. I spent quite a bit of time going over the pics in your mancave.

It's incredible!

Board games are one of my newer areas of collecting and B,K,W are really good guys and what they've 'forgotten' - I have to learn.

At this point in my 30 years of collecting - I would say board games rank #1 next to my search for all the variations to Take Me Out to the Ball Game.
Cards a distant 2nd/3rd place.

I like the way you've displayed your games - I'm planning to do something like that but don't have the dough right now. Will post pics when I get the job done tho.

Thanx again.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
Mikeknapp

I normally tend to limit my purchases of photos to those that depict members of the Hall of Fame. I came across this image and was intrigued as it seems difficult to find Type 1 photos of Negro League players. I researched this player (Henry Kimbro) and after reading the description of him at http://www.negroleaguebaseball.com which is pasted below I had to buy it.

He was a little unruly. He didn't always get along with umpires. Some would even have described him as Negro baseball's "bad boy". But, whatever else can be said about "Jumbo" Kimbro, he was one hell of a ballplayer! With a Kirby Puckett type build, the stocky, powerful Kimbro was a threat on the base path, a superlative fielder, and consistently among the leaders in most all hitting categories during the '40s. Beginning his career in 1937 with the Washington Elite Giants, Kimbro remained with Tom Wilson's aggregation for virtually of his career, compiling a lifetime .315 batting average and representing the Baltimore Elite Giants five times in the East-West All-Star Game. Teaming with Bill Wright and Roy Campanella, Kimbro rounded out one of the most potent offenses in Negro ball. Twice in his career Kimbro exceeded the .350 hitting mark (1946 and 1947), and in 1947 won the league batting title while turning in a .346 performance for the Havana club while competing against major league stars in the Cuban Winter League. Kimbro, described by Ted Radcliffe as "the wildest man I ever saw in baseball and, absolutely, the hardest to manage, himself managed the Baltimore Elite Giants briefly during the 1950s before retiring in his hometown of Nashville. Throughout the 1980s and 1990s Kimbro owned and operated a service station and taxicab service in West Nashville and made several appearances at Negro League reunions around the country.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1940s_Henry_Kimbro.jpg (76.8 KB, 363 views)
Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Default Hal Chase Photo...

Not sure if this was a "good" buy or not, but dropped $18 on the photo below...great image but it's tagged on the back as "reproduced by Geo. Burke"...assume this would be considered a Type II...hope one day to add a Type I image of Hal to my collection...thoughts?

This would be the kind of image I'd want GK to paint for me if I ever had the money...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 05-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Mikeknapp

This one arrived today. Although it certainly cannot compete with the beautiful Ruth or Speaker images posted above, I have always liked this picture. I am thrilled to finally own an original Type 1 vrsion of this of Cool Pappa Bell photo. The slug on the back relates to his Hall of Fame induction in 1974.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Type_I_1974 Cool Papa Bell HOF Induction.jpg (72.2 KB, 488 views)
Old 05-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
This one arrived today. Although it certainly cannot compete with the beautiful Ruth or Speaker images posted above, I have always liked this picture. I am thrilled to finally own an original Type 1 vrsion of this of Cool Pappa Bell photo. The slug on the back relates to his Hall of Fame induction in 1974.
Really nice, unique photo mike.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:50 AM

Default Graig Kreindler Vandy

Jimmy, Mike, Lance and Ben:

Thanks for the compliments on the Kreindler Vandy painting. It's obviously a centerpiece for my no-hitter collection. I'm thrilled to own it!
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
Mike Rothstein

Default Superb!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Jimmy, Mike, Lance and Ben:

Thanks for the compliments on the Kreindler Vandy painting. It's obviously a centerpiece for my no-hitter collection. I'm thrilled to own it!
Scott - understatement! The painting is pure genius - on par with Rockwell.

The colors and definition are off the chart. It would be a centerpiece of anyone's collection - congratulations on an amazing addition to your collection!
Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 PM
James Graham
James Gra.ham

Default 4.16.12 Game Used 2nd Base...

Yankee Stadium April 16, 2012 Game Used 2nd Base.

Game between the Yankees and the Twins. Derek Jeter career hits 3104 and 3105. Including 1st inning back to back home runs by Jeter and Granderson.

Not vintage, but still pretty sweet....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.JPG (50.9 KB, 385 views)
File Type: jpg 4.16.12 Game Used 2nd Base.jpg (72.3 KB, 383 views)
File Type: jpg 4.16.12 Ticket Stub.jpg (63.6 KB, 386 views)
"What I have done after my baseball career -- being able to help people with their lives and getting their lives back on track so they become productive human beings again -- that means more to me than all the things I did in baseball" - Don Newcombe

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/jgmp123

Last edited by jgmp123; 05-18-2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 07:59 PM
Scott

Love the variety of pickups. Well, I don't get much for me anymore, esp now, due to a layoff, but just got this. Just WANTED it, and I think its SO COOL. now, need to pay some money back. Look for my sale stuff

Anyways, PRE MINOR LEAGUE MICKEY paper. not cheap, but hey, y ou only go around once. Guy said he had a few from the town, now gone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mantlebaxter.JPG (70.9 KB, 347 views)
File Type: jpg mantlebaxter2.JPG (76.7 KB, 348 views)
Old 05-20-2012, 12:41 PM

Default Congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Love the variety of pickups. Well, I don't get much for me anymore, esp now, due to a layoff, but just got this. Just WANTED it, and I think its SO COOL. now, need to pay some money back. Look for my sale stuff

Anyways, PRE MINOR LEAGUE MICKEY paper. not cheap, but hey, y ou only go around once. Guy said he had a few from the town, now gone.
Wow, very cool...very unique. Other than maybe a high shcool yearbook I don't recall ever seeing an embryonic Mantle piece like that....So you got it private party?

Old 05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Default The babe

I have made a couple great additions to my photo collection this month. The most recent photo is pictured below.

1918 TYPE 1 Photo of the Babe

Old 05-20-2012, 06:18 PM
qualitycards

Ben that's an awesome shot of the Babe, Congrats on the pickup!
Old 05-20-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Ben that's an awesome shot of the Babe, Congrats on the pickup!
+1 Super pickup, Ben!
Old 05-20-2012, 07:37 PM
WillRow.ett III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
I have made a couple great additions to my photo collection this month. The most recent photo is pictured below.

1918 TYPE 1 Photo of the Babe

Great photo. Legendary is offering the same one in their next auction claiming its from 1919, but theirs doesn't look to be Type I.
Old 05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinte1941 View Post
Great photo. Legendary is offering the same one in their next auction claiming its from 1919, but theirs doesn't look to be Type I.
Thanks gents.

Jake, thanks for pointing this out.

I will need to do some more research. The auction I bought it from said 1918..but there is no def date stamp.

The legendary one is interesting.. If it was a type 1, I would think they would psa it like they do most of the high end photos. The later stamp is not period but that could have been done later. The question is, was the date and description on the top added later than that date(1919)?
This is why psa is very helpful with online auctions as it relates to photos. You cannot tell by only the scans many times. If it is a type 1 and I was the consigner, I would not be very happy as it could cost him/her thousands.

Last edited by Forever Young; 05-20-2012 at 08:05 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:03 PM
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarltonHendricks View Post
Wow, very cool...very unique. Other than maybe a high shcool yearbook I don't recall ever seeing an embryonic Mantle piece like that....So you got it private party?
No, ebay. A Guy from MO had a few I guess at one time, This was his last one. I really like it.