NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-15-2024, 05:17 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
Let's put it this way, I'm not 100% but if I had been a consignor, my knee-jerk reaction, I would've wanted my stuff back, but I could've been talked out of that if presented with a compelling argument.
I think he meant if you were a consigner of one of the stolen items.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:40 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter08 View Post
Is this a typo? How on earth would you get them back?

Also, I believe just because they were stolen/missing, they are still "property " of the auction house. If they found them the day the auction closed or are recovered now, the auction house still has ownership.

Always looking for signed 1952 topps as well as variations and errors
Old 05-15-2024, 05:44 AM
Johnny MaZilli

[QUOTE=Peter_Spaeth;2434504]Who knew about it before the closing and where did you read that?[/QU

A couple dealers who were set up at the Strongsville show knew of the theft and advised me so...they were told several larger consignments where stolen from the show in their current auction. They did not advise which cards specifically were stolen... they knew stuff was stolen but they were not told which exact cards so it leads one to wonder.
Old 05-15-2024, 05:50 AM
J@mes Nonk.es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Republicaninmass View Post

Also, I believe just because they were stolen/missing, they are still "property " of the auction house. If they found them the day the auction closed or are recovered now, the auction house still has ownership.
The question is what would you want to have happen with the auction if your item in it was stolen prior to close.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:08 AM
Tho.mas L Sau.nders

Quote:
The question is what would you want to have happen with the auction if your item in it was stolen prior to close.
I would want to have been told asap of it, and at the very least my stolen lots pulled immediately from the auction
Old 05-15-2024, 06:52 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:

Auction companies never have ownership of a consignor's items (unless they reserve the right to bid in their own auction and actually purchase them)
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/thecollectorconnectionauctions
Old 05-15-2024, 06:54 AM
Scott Russell

Quote:
If that's what he meant, I'd probably be all for keeping the auction running. Of course telling the consignors of stolen items invites all sorts of possible shenanigans with bidding to run up the settlement.
Check out https://www.thecollectorconnection.com Always looking for consignments 717.327.8915 We sell your less expensive pre-war cards individually instead of in bulk lots to make YOU the most money possible!

Old 05-15-2024, 07:02 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
Auction companies never have ownership of a consignor's items (unless they reserve the right to bid in their own auction and actually purchase them)

Hi Scott! I'm just playing devils advocate, obviously it totally sucks for both consignor and buyer. Some of the cards are basically irreplaceable, but at least there is some sort of hare brained value placed on them. As Ryan mentioned, overall was about what he expected. Imagine if insurance looked up last sales....yikes!

I'd have to check my Memory Lane consignment agreement for actual terms, but I'm assume ML DOES own rights ( to sell, possibly mentiined as dispose, at a minimum) to be able to sell the card, at their discretion, as long as the consignor is paid. Otherwise, if the sales were weak, the consignor could just "demand their property back". So I am finding flaw in your logic that the auction houses never have "ownership" of their consignments.

If the cards appear, can the consignor demand them back, or is ML legally bound to sell to the highest bidder? They would be returned to the "owner" or posessor? Strange situation

Possession is 9/10ths of the law 🙄

Old 05-15-2024, 12:53 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Hi Scott! I'm just playing devils advocate, obviously it totally sucks for both consignor and buyer. Some of the cards are basically irreplaceable, but at least there is some sort of hare brained value placed on them. As Ryan mentioned, overall was about what he expected. Imagine if insurance looked up last sales....yikes!

I'd have to check my Memory Lane consignment agreement for actual terms, but I'm assume ML DOES own rights ( to sell, possibly mentiined as dispose, at a minimum) to be able to sell the card, at their discretion, as long as the consignor is paid. Otherwise, if the sales were weak, the consignor could just "demand their property back". So I am finding flaw in your logic that the auction houses never have "ownership" of their consignments.

If the cards appear, can the consignor demand them back, or is ML legally bound to sell to the highest bidder? They would be returned to the "owner" or posessor? Strange situation

Possession is 9/10ths of the law 🙄
Well a contract to sell gives the right to sell to the auction but they're still not technically ever the owner.

It's probably unnecessary but we have language in our contract that says the consignor agrees that to pull an item we must be in agreement, so people can't just flake out and change their mind late in the auction if they're unhappy.

7. This contract is to remain in full force and cannot be canceled without the agreement of both parties

Old 05-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Eric
E.ric Bau.mh0er

Quote:
Well a contract to sell gives the right to sell to the auction but they're still not technically ever the owner.

It's probably unnecessary but we have language in our contract that says the consignor agrees that to pull an item we must be in agreement, so people can't just flake out and change their mind late in the auction if they're unhappy.

7. This contract is to remain in full force and cannot be canceled without the agreement of both parties
That is some refreshing transparency
Old 05-15-2024, 05:43 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
It is my understanding that generally, a consignor retains title (ownership) to his consigned items until they are sold and paid for. Of course, any specific consignment arrangement can be different in this regard. My REA consignment agreement states that if a winning bidder does not pay within a reasonable time, REA has the option of paying the consignor, in which event REA will then have title to the consigned items.
Seeking very scarce/rare cards for my Sam Rice master collection, e.g., E210 York Caramel Type 2 (upgrade), 1931 W502, W504 (upgrade), W572 sepia, W573, W575-1 E. S. Rice version, 1922 Haffner's Bread, 1922 Keating Candy, 1922 Witmor Candy Type 2 (vertical back), 1926 Sports Co. of Am. with ad & blank backs. Also T216 Kotton "NGO" card of Hugh Jennings. Also 1917 Merchants Bakery & Weil Baking cards of WaJo.
Old 05-15-2024, 06:02 PM
Scott Russell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
It is my understanding that generally, a consignor retains title (ownership) to his consigned items until they are sold and paid for. Of course, any specific consignment arrangement can be different in this regard. My REA consignment agreement states that if a winning bidder does not pay within a reasonable time, REA has the option of paying the consignor, in which event REA will then have title to the consigned items.
we have a similar clause with options in case of non-payment.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:16 AM
Drew W@i$e

It’s been just over 30 days from the theft. Anyone heard any update from the parties?
Old 05-19-2024, 09:22 AM
Peter Spaeth

There was a funny post on Blowout.
https://www.blowoutforums.com/showpo...8&postcount=98

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:36 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Is that a real story about the arrest? I searched on nbcnews.com and I also did a Google search, and I am not finding anything about an arrest.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:40 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshum View Post
Is that a real story about the arrest? I searched on nbcnews.com and I also did a Google search, and I am not finding anything about an arrest.
It’s a joke.
Old 05-19-2024, 09:51 AM
Jay Shumsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by G1911 View Post
It’s a joke.
That's what I was guessing after not finding anything myself, but it looks very realistic.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:08 AM
Frank Wakefield

Scott / Aquarian...

I don't see how that clause 7 of your contract can be stretched to say that unless buyer and seller agree to pull a lot from the auction, then it cannot be done and you must continue with a lot's auction when you no longer have the item; and that as a seller you are authorized to defraud bidders and an eventual winner by accepting bids when you well know that you don't have the item.

Regardless of clause 7, you know that's not right.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:15 AM
Peter Spaeth

I agree with Frank that the result is not mandated by the contract. That said, under the unique circumstances of this case, I don't see how anyone was "defrauded" by continuing the auction. No good choices here.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:19 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I agree with Frank that the result is not mandated by the contract. That said, under the unique circumstances of this case, I don't see how anyone was "defrauded" by continuing the auction. No good choices here.

Thank you counselor. Now, for the prosecution. What are your said damages for bidders who won lots which are not recovered?

Old 05-19-2024, 10:23 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post
you know that's not right.
Hobbyists will defend almost anything, as long as its to the gains they desire, and will say anything to make said defense, regardless of how blatantly absurd the claim might be or how reasonable it might be.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Hobbyists will defend almost anything, as long as its to the gains they desire, and will say anything to make said defense, regardless of how blatantly absurd the claim might be or how reasonable it might be.
Who was damaged, and in what amount?

Old 05-19-2024, 10:46 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Who was damaged, and in what amount?
You must be replying to the wrong post. When did I say Memory Lane took payment for their fraudulent auction from the fake winners? I have no idea how we could possibly discern a specific value on how consigners who may have lost bids because bidders focused their dollars on lots that did not actually exist may or may not have lost.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:48 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You must be replying to the wrong post. When did I say Memory Lane took payment for their fraudulent auction from the fake winners? I have no idea how we could possibly discern a specific value on how consigners who may have lost bids because bidders focused their dollars on lots that did not actually exist may or may not have lost.
I asked a simple question, no need for a smart ass reply. As I understand the theory you and others are advancing, it is BIDDERS who were "defrauded." They were defrauded into bidding on lots ML no longer possessed. But you don't claim they were damaged, nor of course could you. At least in a civil lawsuit, damage is an element of fraud.

This was obviously an effort to mitigate a no win situation. One could argue it was not the best solution and I get that, but to call it fraud is in my view unjustified.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:52 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I asked a simple question, no need for a smart ass reply. As I understand the theory you and others are advancing, it is BIDDERS who were "defrauded." They bid on lots ML no longer possessed. But you don't claim they were damaged, nor of course could you. At least in a civil lawsuit, damage is an element of fraud.
Ask a smartass question about something I never said or implied, get a smartass answer pointing out I never said or implied what you want to argue against.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:55 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I asked a simple question, no need for a smart ass reply. As I understand the theory you and others are advancing, it is BIDDERS who were "defrauded." But you don't claim they were damaged, nor of course could you. At least in a civil lawsuit, damage is an element of fraud.

Never argue with an idiot, they will make you stoop to their level, then beat you with experience.

This whole thread offers a multitude of opinions
great, everyone is is entitled to theirs, and it's okay.
However, when people start throwing out legal terms, that are not fact, it's plain wrong.

Nothing was fraudulent and there are no damages for any plaintiffs. IF Mile High let it run on advice from legal/insurance.

Can you fault them for that? It might not feel right, but surely the loss of millions probably weighs mpre heavily over your feelings.

Last edited by Republicaninmass; 05-19-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:55 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Ask a smartass question about something I never said or implied, get a smartass answer pointing out I never said or implied what you want to argue against.
You're very defensive obviously. It was not at all a smart ass question, it was intended to set up a point. And it implied nothing at all about what you said. Deep breath.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:58 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
You're very defensive obviously. It was not at all a smart ass question, it was intended to set up a point. And it implied nothing at all about what you said. Deep breath.
Yes, deep breath to use the same verbiage you did . If you would like to argue something completely different than anything I said, there is no reason to quote my unrelated statement. Have at with whoevers point you are trying to counter here or whatever new point you want to make that has nothing to do with what I said.
Old 05-19-2024, 10:59 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will make you stoop to their level, then beat you with experience.

This whole thread offers a multitude of opinions
great, everyone is is entitled to theirs, and it's okay.
However, when people start throwing out legal terms, that are not fact, it's plain wrong.

Nothing was fraudulent and there are no damages for any plaintiffs. IF Mile High let it run on advice from legal/insurance.

Can you fault them for that? It might not feel right, but surely the loss of millions probably weighs mpre heavily over your feelings.
I'm glad you now acknowledge people you believe to be poorer than yourself can have an opinion too. That's progress. Dictionary is in #555.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:11 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
I'm glad you now acknowledge people you believe to be poorer than yourself can have an opinion too. That's progress. Dictionary is in #555.

Their opinions surrounding facts still don't matter, when they are clearly pedestrian, not to mention wrong. Sorry if your parents told you we are all equal, it doesn't mean your opinions should be weighted the same regardless of class, creed, religion or FCF.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:14 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Yes, deep breath to use the same verbiage you did . If you would like to argue something completely different than anything I said, there is no reason to quote my unrelated statement. Have at with whoevers point you are trying to counter here or whatever new point you want to make that has nothing to do with what I said.
Let's do a reset. Do you believe ML committed fraud? If so, why?

Old 05-19-2024, 11:17 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Their opinions surrounding facts still don't matter, when they are clearly pedestrian, not to mention wrong. Sorry if your parents told you we are all equal, it doesn't mean your opinions should be weighted the same regardless of class, creed, religion or FCF.
Which religions and creeds do you also believe should not be able to have an opinion considered like your special one? Your prejudices are the best part of this thread
Old 05-19-2024, 11:18 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
It's in 555. Can anyone explain to me how hosting a fake auction does not meet those terms?
Old 05-19-2024, 11:21 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
He has an opinion!!! Let's all gather round and sing Kumbaya and he can tell us how great and important is voice is to be heard.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:24 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
He has an opinion!!! Let's all gather round and sing Kumbaya and he can tell us how great and important is voice is to be heard.
I cannot possibly follow your policy that anybody who does not share your amount of $'s, religious faith, and creed should not speak until you define these rules for all the disgusting poors and sinners.

How much money must one have to express an opinion in a place you are? Is that in raw cash on hand or net work?

What religious view must I have to have an opinion worthy of expression?

What creed(s) must I follow for your approval?

Enquiring minds want to know
Old 05-19-2024, 11:24 AM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
It's in 555. Can anyone explain to me how hosting a fake auction does not meet those terms?
Because (1) there is no intent to deceive and (2) there is no damage to anyone to whom any implicit misrepresentation was made. Law is also flexible in situations where applying standards literally would yield an unjustified result.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 11:26 AM.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:29 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Because (1) there is no intent to deceive and (2) there is no damage to anyone to whom any implicit misrepresentation was made. Law is also flexible in situations where applying standards literally would yield to an unjustified result.
1 is completely untrue. There was an intent to deceive bidders, which was the entire point of doing this to set values. Pretending that they have the items and it's a real auction is very intentionally deceiving the bidders that are being lied to. It was not an unintended oversight. This claim is obviously untrue. Back to what I said about people saying anything to justify what they want - this is blatantly false and it is obvious that it is false.

Again, I have made no comment on 2 nor does this have anything to do with the definition. The bidders did not pay and thus do not have provable damages. This may have something to do with why I am not arguing whether or not they should be taken to civil court for fraud.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:33 AM
T3d $h3rm@n

Quote:
1 is completely untrue. There was an intent to deceive bidders, which was the entire point of doing this to set values. Pretending that they have the items and it's a real auction is very intentionally deceiving the bidders that are being lied to. It was not an unintended oversight. This claim is obviously untrue. Back to what I said about people saying anything to justify what they want - this is blatantly false and it is obvious that it is false.

But they did have the items, they were, just and still, are missing. The didn't steal scans from the registry or cards they weren't entrusted to sell. So it isn't really that obvious, blatent, or cut and dry... You know, your opinion is one thing, facts are another!

Old 05-19-2024, 11:36 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
But they did have the items, they were, just and still, are missing. The didn't steal scans from the registry or cards they weren't entrusted to sell. So it isn't really that obvious, blatent, or cut and dry... You know, your opinion is one thing, facts are another!
You cannot deliver a product that you no longer have any power over . They covered up the actual facts to host an auction they knew they could not actually provide the product of.

There must be a way to defend this without denying easily ascertainable provable facts and insisting on fake insurance policies that do not exist

Oops, I forgot to check if my religion and net worth matches the Republican guy's before posting again. Darn it.
Old 05-19-2024, 11:40 AM
Peter Spaeth

Intent to deceive, as I think of it, means intending to induce the other party to take an action that is to their detriment. Literally, yes, you could say in a vacuum that ML wanted bidders to keep bidding, but then you're divorcing the exercise from the whole point of fraud law.

Old 05-19-2024, 11:47 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Intent to deceive, as I think of it, means intending to induce the other party to take an action that is to their detriment. Literally, yes, you could say in a vacuum that ML wanted bidders to keep bidding, but then you're divorcing the exercise from the whole point of fraud law.
Again, just as with "fraud" and "fraudulent", I am going to use the definable meaning of the word in the language and not my custom interpretation or how I would like to think of things. Primary definition 1, as well as 3A, 3B. Memory Lane inarguably intended to deceive bidders as the entire point of this farce. This debate was more sincere when we were debating whether it was acceptable to do this than now where we are pretending they did not.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Deceive.jpg (152.5 KB, 220 views)
Old 05-19-2024, 12:01 PM
Peter Spaeth

I don't want any result here, and you can keep saying it until you're blue in the face but it ain't so. I am simply stating my opinion on whether there was fraud, which happens to be informed by decades of experience which I am sure you will disregard as some sort of "appeal to authority" which it is not.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 12:02 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:08 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
I don't want any result here. I am simply stating my opinion, which happens to be informed by decades of experience which I am sure you will disregard as some sort of "appeal to authority" which it is not.
I am using the dictionary definition of words. You are using your experience to define what a word means instead, rejecting dictionaries. Yes, I am sure it is my route that is fallacious

If the defense of Memory Lane relies on

1) Rejecting the dictionary

or

2) Following Republican Clown's religious values and/or having a flex off with him over who has more money

or

3) an unseen insurance policy/choice/decision with no precedent in all of human history and that is obviously fiction

One might start to conclude that the difficulty in finding a reasonable argument is an indicator that something doesn't make sense here.

Can anyone put forth an argument for Memory Lane that, while it will surely differ with other posters over the values placed on honesty, disclosure and forthrightness in that the argument will have to reject them implicitly, is at least a serious argument that does not rely on absurdities that absolutely nobody here would accept if it didn't benefit what they want to benefit? None of the defenses would be accepted if it was me doing the fake auction and I made them, and we surely all know that on some level. Surely a better case can be made.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:12 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I am using the dictionary definition of words. You are using your experience to define what a word means instead, rejecting dictionaries. Yes, I am sure it is my route that is fallacious

If the defense of Memory Lane relies on

1) Rejecting the dictionary

or

2) Following Republican Clown's religious values and/or having a flex off with him over who has more money

or

3) an unseen insurance policy/choice/decision with no precedent in all of human history and that is obviously fiction

One might start to conclude that the difficulty in finding a reasonable argument is an indicator that something doesn't make sense here.

Can anyone put forth an argument for Memory Lane that, while it will surely differ with other posters over the values placed on honesty, disclosure and forthrightness in that the argument will have to reject them implicitly, is at least a serious argument that does not rely on absurdities that absolutely nobody here would accept if it didn't benefit what they want to benefit? None of the defenses would be accepted if it was me doing the fake auction and I made them, and we surely all know that on some level. Surely a better case can be made.
Your arrogance does not serve you well here nor does your mocking, faux incredulous tone. I would take my decades of experience in the real legal world over the dictionary all day every day. As I've stated I'm no fan of ML and have no agenda here. But I don't see this as fraud.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:19 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Your arrogance does not serve you well here nor does your mocking, faux incredulous tone. I would take my decades of experience in the real legal world over the dictionary all day every day.
To be fair, I can’t think of a way to not sound mocking when the ideas are this ridiculous. When your argument hinges on rejecting the dictionary so you can pretend that lying to thousands of bidders is not deceiving them… what am I supposed to say? That’s comically ridiculous and we would all know that if it wasn’t someone we didn’t like doing the deceiving. I am actually somewhat incredulous this is the path you want to take to justify this farce. You don’t usually embrace completely fictions in these debates and reject the dictionary. You surely actually know that lying to people is deceitful. Your arrogance in putting yourself over the dictionary and pretending lying is not deceitful does not serve you well.

I have no doubt you and many others would and do take what they like over objectivity and appeal to themselves. Appealing to oneself only really works to oneself though.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:25 PM
Chase

Don't we need to know what the exact reasoning was behind ML's decision to move forward with the auction without pulling the 54 lots as to whether it was fraud or not? Was that decision they made on their own or was it required or requested of them?

I am not sure they could use as a defense or explanation that they had to let the auction run to establish values on those 54 lots. My reasoning is that prior to the sale their number 1 consignor and a valued representative of ML established values on each item he consigned. If I am not mistaken most, if not all, of the cards stolen belonged to that consignor.

Anyway, below is Ryan's post below from the morning after the auction and clearly before he knew the cards had been stolen because of the "tongue in cheek comment that someone stole a card in referencing the CJ Jax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhotchkiss View Post
As many of you know, I consigned a large portion of the prewar items that sold last night. I am very content with the results, although they were all over the place.

Last night's auction contained about 75% of my total consignment, with other items to sell in the Summer and Winter auctions. When I first consigned, Joe and I (Joe is with Memory Lane) sat down and we estimated a low, likely, and high value for every card. Last night, the total aggregate sales price of my consignments, with the Buyer's Premium, was about 3% above the total likely-value we placed on the items. Thus, last night's entire consignment ended, in the aggregate, almost exactly where we estimated it would. That said, many individual items went for very different amounts that expected (both good and bad).

The D304s went crazy. Literally, nonsensical; but I wont complain! The Wagner, Matty, Lajoie, Collins, and many commons went for multiples over prior highs.

My T206 set and 1914 CJ set both did better, in aggregate, than I expected. The 1914 CJ Jackson was the bad egg of the entire auction -- someone stole that card. But most other items, including commons, did very well. Same with the T206 set; the Green Cobb did not do well at all, but that was offset substantially by the other Cobbs and many PSA 7s+ and strong results for commons.

The W600 Matty went through the roof, as it should have, considering it was produced in his rookie year (albeit not the first issue of his rookie year). The Tip Top Wagner did great, and my Planks all finished very strong. Almost every Ruth finished on the lighter side of what I expected, and a few crapped the bed. Wagners and Cobbs are definitely 10%-20% off their highs, but still strong.

Put it this way, it was a very large and diverse consignment and it ended at 102%+ (including BP) of where we estimated the likely value total to be. I am happy with the results, and now I need sleep!
And lastly, would it change anyone's opinion as to whether it was fraud or not if there were people outside of ML who knew a theft had happened or were vaguely aware of it because they either spoke with ML reps or because they saw ML reps with police at the hotel?
Old 05-19-2024, 12:29 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
To be fair, I can’t think of a way to not sound mocking when the ideas are this ridiculous.
Then walk away knowing that you won.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:30 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
To be fair, I can’t think of a way to not sound mocking when the ideas are this ridiculous. When your argument hinges on rejecting the dictionary so you can pretend that lying to thousands of bidders is not deceiving them… what am I supposed to say? That’s comically ridiculous and we would all know that if it wasn’t someone we didn’t like doing the deceiving. I am actually somewhat incredulous this is the path you want to take to justify this farce. You don’t usually embrace completely fictions in these debates and reject the dictionary. You surely actually know that lying to people is deceitful. Your arrogance in putting yourself over the dictionary and pretending lying is not deceitful does not serve you well.

I have no doubt you and many others would and do take what they like over objectivity and appeal to themselves. Appealing to oneself only really works to oneself though.
Hmmmm. Well, a lot of people in this thread seem to agree with me that this was not fraud, but doubtless you dismiss them too as self-serving or self-deluded or whatever. And just to correct something I am not putting myself over anything, I am analyzing a case based on my experience. To have faith in one's judgment based on experience is not arrogance.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:44 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Hmmmm. Well, a lot of people in this thread seem to agree with me that this was not fraud, but doubtless you dismiss them too as self-serving or self-deluded or whatever. And just to correct something I am not putting myself over anything, I am analyzing a case based on my experience. To have faith in one's judgment based on experience is not arrogance.
You also know an appeal to popularity is not logical, and you would not accept that as reasonable if you had a minority opinion. A thing is not right or wrong because 51% think so (or 51% who clear a certain wealth threshold). If I thought that Memory Lane’s fraudulent action is just fine because a majority here may support it, I would have to endorse a whole bunch of horrible things.

Surely there is an actual argument here instead of pretending the dictionary is wrong and lying is not deceitful and your experience is paramount to the language. If I made an argument hinging on how my experience overcomes the dictionary, you’d know I was being a fool and wrong. Can we just have a point made that is not palpably absurd? As I’ve said before the ‘maybe the cops told them too’ is a much better defense, because the vast majority of the actual arguments made in this thread cannot be defended without blatant falsehoods and rejections of the dictionary of the last two pages. It is not that hard to make logically consistent arguments in favor of unethical things.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
You also know an appeal to popularity is not logical, and you would not accept that as reasonable if you had a minority opinion. A thing is not right or wrong because 51% think so (or 51% who clear a certain wealth threshold). If I thought that Memory Lane’s fraudulent action is just fine because a majority here may support it, I would have to endorse a whole bunch of horrible things.

Surely there is an actual argument here instead of pretending the dictionary is wrong and lying is not deceitful and your experience is paramount to the language. If I made an argument hinging on how my experience overcomes the dictionary, you’d know I was being a fool and wrong. Can we just have a point made that is not palpably absurd? As I’ve said before the ‘maybe the cops told them too’ is a much better defense, because the vast majority of the actual arguments made in this thread cannot be defended without blatant falsehoods and rejections of the dictionary of the last two pages. It is not that hard to make logically consistent arguments in favor of unethical things.
To me, you're being overly literal and pedantic rather than focused on the realities of the situation including that ML had no intent to injure anyone and did not injure anyone. When next you see a fraud case where the dictionary prevailed over those two factors, do tell me.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 05-19-2024 at 12:51 PM.