NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Administrator

Default O/T: Last day of Season

Posted By: Max Weder

Jimmy Rollins just finished with one of the most interesting stat lines:

Season1627161392123820309441.296.344.531

He set the records for most AB's in a season, and most hits for a batter finishing under .300. And he became not just a 20 2b, 20 3B, 20 HR batter, but a 30-20-30, with 41 steals as well.

Max

Old 10-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

A strange thing about Francis is that for his career he actually has a better ERA in Colorado than he does on the road. Go figure.

Gotta love that Rollins line. He's like an improved version of a young Juan Samuel.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter chao

Jimmy simply had an incredible year. He's still young enough to improve.

Peter C.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat (ret.)

The line came out heavily favoring the Padres tomorrow...or to put it better heavily favoring Peavy.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Tony Andrea

Hi Cat -
There's no doubt Peavy is an overpowering pitcher
but that Rockies lineup is scary, and they will be
in Colorado. I like the Rockies 7-3 in this one.
You won't see me puttin' any money on it though.
I'm to chicken.

Tony

Old 10-01-2007, 09:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Ted Zanidakis

MAX W

As great as Rollins' numbers are this season....what they don't tell us is that once he reaches 1st base, there is a very high probability
that it is an automatic RUN. Take today for example, he hit a single.....immediately stole 2nd base....next he stole 3rd base.....then he
scored without the benefit of a hit. In this case it was a sacrifice fly to the outfield. At other instances, he has scored on a slowly exe-
cuted OUT play, or one of his teammates bunting him home, etc., etc.

He is one of the best lead-off hitters that I have ever seen; and, I have seen many since the late 1940's.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Ted, I'm blown away by Rollins: first opening up his big mouth in spring training and backing it up not 90 percent but 100 percent; the power, the RBI, the triples. Keep in mind that at the beginning of the season Jose Reyes was thought of, arguabley, as one of the top 5 players in baseball (and certainly the most exciting). Rollins blew him away this year and deserves the MVP.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: kenneth McMillan

Cubs / Angels world series........Go Cubs Go........

Old 10-01-2007, 10:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cat (ret.)

If I am correct, if Peavy wins tomorrow he does get credited with being a 20-game winner. No?

Tony, I wouldn't put money on either team tomorrow. How could you bet against Peavy? How could you bet against a team that has won 13 out of the last 14?

MVP? Holliday had a monster year. He would get my vote.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I may have misunderstood but I thought I heard the Rockies announcer say that Peavy was 5-5 lifetime against the Rockies.
If Colorado wins tomorrow don't bet against seeing the Indians and the Rockies in the Series as both teams were playing great when they needed it.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Eric Brehm

My understanding is that the Padres-Rockies wild card tiebreaker game is considered an extension of the regular season, as opposed to the beginning of the postseason. The players' performances in the game will count against their regular season statistics. For example Matt Holliday, who was leading the NL in batting average as of the end of today, will need to do better than 0-for-5 tomorrow in order to retain the crown.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

If Bud Selig has done anything right as commissioner it was the Wild Card.

Old 10-02-2007, 01:32 AM
Administrator

Posted By: CN

I just got in the door and as a long time season ticket holder who went to today,s game it was horrible especially for a Glavine fan. The start of the game reminded of game 6 of the 1999 NLCS when Al Leiter gave up 5 runs w/o retirering a batter,but the mets came back and took the lead twice before Kenny Rodgers issued a bases loaded walk to lose the series. At least I made today a doubleheader and saw the Giants beat the Eagles. CN

Old 10-02-2007, 05:02 AM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Matt Holiday was the RBI leader for virtually the whole season but Ryan Howard passed him yesterday. Holliday can tie or take it back in tonight's game.

I didn't realize Rollins' stats were that extraordinary, and he does look like the MVP. Those 716 at bats are eleven more than the previous record. That alone is amazing.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Administrator

We can laud the season Jimmy Rollins had....ad infinitum. But, let's look at the bigger picture. The Phillies put together a team effort
after Labor Day that is just unbeatable, as they won 13 games while losing only 4....in the final stretch.

There's no way you can beat that type of September performance.

TED Z

Old 10-02-2007, 08:38 AM
Administrator

Go Phillies! They deserve it.

And where were the Colorado Rockies two weeks ago? In oblivion. Now it's a one game sudden death.

And let's not forget the Cubs. Can they break the hex?

Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

Ugghhh! After 161 games and some 7,900+ points, it came down to the last day of our Fantasy Baseball League. I only needed 7 points from Glavin in his last start to put me in the money. The ^*^&%* took a -17.5 points. I will forever hate Tom Glavin!

Rob M.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:54 AM
Administrator

Looking at the NL West in July -- did anyone think the Rockies and the Dbacks could make the playoffs? Either of them? Now it may be both.

As for the Phillies, they gave the Mets tons of opportunities to run away with the NL East but the Mets refused the gifts day after day. As well as the Phillies played, the Mets' actions contributed the most to the Phillies winning the East.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Administrator

i didn't follow the early season head-to-head Mets/Phillies games. But, the overwhelming 12-6 dominance of the Phils over the Mets
is mind-boggling to me.

Can you elaborate on this.....were some of these Phils victories close games ?

TED Z

Gee, look even the DOW is rallying to the Phillies victory as it's over 14,000......HA !

Old 10-02-2007, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Ted, the Mets choked away so many of the Phillies games it would curl your hair. How about this scenaio: first and third, bottom of the ninth for the Mets, tying run on third base. One out. Shawn Green hits a slow tapper to short stop, way too slow to double him up. Tying run crosses the plate. Marlon Anderson, the Mets runner at first, for some inexplicable reason goes way out of the basepath in an attempt to break up the double play (which could never have happened anway due to the ball being hit too slow). Umpire calls a double play due to the interference - game over. And there were at least 3 more games which the Mets blew to the Phils equally as dopey as that.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Jeff L -
I'm telling you, it's that damn "Mookie Wilson Curse"....

Go D-Backs.
Tony

Old 10-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jason L

October is here!
Dave S, well said with that gorgeous logo!

Regarding the Mets:
They have become my local interest since moving out East from Chicago, because I am a NL guy.

BUT!!!

I am satisfied that they lost, and here's why:

What would it mean to you as a baseball fan to sit down and watch the Opening Game of the World Series, and right there in the first inning, Jose Reyes squibs one down the third base line, and stand at home plate as he watches himself get thrown out at first????!!!

Don't get me wrong, he is terribly exciting to watch, but if he doesn't get himself a work ethic, his flame may burn out real quick at the Major League level.

Old 10-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay

If you ask me, the reason the Mets lost is because the team has decided not to take the Big Apple to the new stadium. That apple looked after them for a long time and for all time forward this will be known as the "Curse of the Big Apple".

Old 10-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

While you have to give kudos to the Washington Nationals and Florida Marlins for playing so hard the last 2 weeks when they had absolutely nothing to gain, the real credit should be given to the Milwaukee Brewers. Having their hearts broken when they were eliminated, they could have simply folded their tent and gone home but instead played like demons the last week to knock out the Mets.
Watching the Marlins late in the year, they look like a team which could bounce back and contend next year if they develop their young pitching. Another bounce back team next year could be the Twins. Santana and Nathan are in the final year of their contracts and will want to have career years next year for the bidding teams. Soriano comes back healthy and he was better than Santana in 2006. Baker, Garza and Slowey matured and all pitched well this year. If they would loosen the purse strings (if they don't sign Hunter and they have let Castillo's, White's, Cirillo's and probably Silva's contract go) and spend a little of the money they have been saving up, maybe they sign a 3rd baseman and DH and if Mauer, Morneau and Cuddyer stay healthy for a change, they may be tough.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

I am not a Dodgers fan (I am a Yankees fan) but I do enjoy the game and have generally made it a point to buy a small ticket package each year for the Dodgers. I was so disgusted with the Dodgers in the offseason that I decided not to attend any games this year. I was not wrong--it was obvious to me that they were assembling a team just good enough to put cans in the seats but not good enough to win a pennant--but I did miss the pleasant summer evenings at Chavez Ravine. First time in years I haven't attended a game.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Adam -
I thought one of the big reasons the Dodgers didn't meet expectations this
year was due to manager Grady Little. I thought he was horrible.
I scratched my head time and time again with his lineup he put on the field
and pitching moves he made throughout the year.
They had the talent to go further, although some key injuries to their pitching
staff didn't help the situation.
By the way, they have a rookie who is pretty good in Andre Ethier who happens to
be my neighbor. I've met him a couple times now and he's a very nice guy.
Cant believe Grady Little had him batting 7th and 8th in the lineup towards the end
of the year.

Tony

Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Adam, I grew up a Dodgers fan and loved the team more than any other professional team I pulled for. Once they traded Piazza I pretty much was done with them. I've been a Mets fan since. I didn't think it was possible to change allegiances midstream but the Dodgers really stuck it to their fans for a long time now.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: boxingcardman

since the parking lot attendant bought them always get guys who are not quite A list. They won't spend for a big bat and won't spend for established veterans who are at their peaks. They insist on structured contracts that defer large amounts of money, which A list guys won't take. They end up with guys like Kent (just over the hill when he signed) or Drew or Garciaparra (injury prone). It puts butts in the seats and makes money for the team but doesn't really compete. Just watch, when the young players "mature" (i.e., get to arbitration and free agency age), they will all walk.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Imagine what it would be like to root for a team that can't afford its best players and then lets them get away without trading them or getting any compensation:

Jack Morris
David Ortiz
Tori Hunter
And soon to come:
After 2008
Johann Santana 2004 and 2006 Cy Young winner
Joe Nathan (best closer in the game despite what Bosox fans think)
After 2009
Justin Morneau 2006 AL MVP
Michael Cuddyer

Sometimes I think Connie Mack is running the Twins! The insane are definitely running the asylum in Minnesota. Their new ball park in Minneapolis will feature the world's worst sluggers and possibly the league's best pitchers. Damn shame...

Old 10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Administrator

Bob, since when can't the Twins afford to keep their best players? They've got by far the wealthiest owner -- Carl Pohlad is the richest owner in baseball history -- but he's a cheapskate. I only wish the NY teams had an onwer as rich as Pohlad. At least our guys spend whatever it takes to win instead of keeping the cash in their mattresses.

Old 10-02-2007, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

pohlad is over 90 years old so he must be careful with his money as 2 billion isn't what it used to be!

Old 10-02-2007, 06:09 PM
Administrator

Colorado is winning 2-0 over San Diego. Another upset.

Peter C.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

5-3 Padres on a Gonzalez grand slam. Peavy may win his 20th yet.

It's now 5-4 on a Helton homer. Can anyone pitch around here?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:41 PM
Administrator

No, Barry, no one can pitch at Coors. In the end, the Pods bullpen has to outlast the Rockies', right?

Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Koteles

amazing feats for someone who is 5'8 !

Go Wockies in this last game. There nearly is noone to remember for the Pads, they will make the post game BOOOORING !

Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM
Administrator

5-5 in the 6th. This one might be decided at the bitter end.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Wow. 9-8 in 13 innings. I was pulling for the Rockies but Matt Holliday still hasn't touched home. Barrett used a text book leg block but the ump blew it. Sorry Padres fans.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Bob,

That was a very poor call. The ump delayed the call and probably for good reason. His first instinct was to not make a call then all of a sudden - SAFE. I still think that Colorado was on the way to winning that game but we'll never know - it's baseball... It was a pathetic way to get into the playoffs but hey, they're there.

Old 10-03-2007, 03:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Howard

What an awful throw from Giles! He threw it like a high arc softball pitch. Had he thrown a flatter ball Holliday would have been out by a mile instead of leaving the seemingly random call to the umpire.

I think the Atkins double was miscalled also. The Padres should have had another run.

Howard

Old 10-03-2007, 04:09 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

it was late,the ump was tired,he wanted to go home. what a lackluster call to say the least,but the way hofman was throwing it was only a matter of another batter or so for colorado to end it. trevor hofman is the relief version of tom glavine....maybe it's time they both hung up the spikes.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:24 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Well I went back and forth on who I was for in that game... Peavy is a good pitcher, I wanted him to do well. Helton is a thoughtful hitter, it is a joy to watch him at the plate. Torrealba has worked his way to where he is, I liked him doing well. And Giles is a solid ballplayer... So I was back and forth.

I truthfully think that Atkins' 7th inning hit to left-center was over the yellow, and that it bounced off of the top edge of the chair. I think there's no way it bounces back onto the field with such velocity if it hit that padding, and if it hit some top edge of the rail it would not have bounced back toward the field at that angle. The Rockies should have had a home run on that.

It would have been a perverse twist on baseball lore for Holliday to go 0 for 6 instead of 2 for 6, and for Chipper Jones to have won the batting title that way. But that didn't happen.

And finally, Holliday did not touch the plate in the 13th. By then I was ready for the Rockies to have a great, comeback win. I'd been thinking in the 12th how the game needed an inside the park home run, since it had about everything else. Seems like folks kept getting leadoff runners on... But Holliday was blocked off of the plate, and he knew it. If you see a replay, watch... not the plate, but his face. He slides by, Barrett drops the ball, Holliday lays there, Barrett retrieves the ball and tags him, then Holliday writhes with frustration knowing he's been tagged out. I saw Holliday miss the plate and get tagged, I knew he was out. Holliday knew it, too.

Still, I'm all for the umpires calling the game. They get so many calls correct. Even ones that might seem close to us, they get right.

A great evening of baseball, all in all. but TBS seemed to have few graphics showing the players' names and stats. They did have the scorecard thing, and while I don't exactly use their scoring system, it was neat to see what a player had done. (At this moment, I must tell everyone to read The Joy of Keeping Score, by Paul Dickson.) I could have done with a bit better graphics, and less of a flashy, multi-light set that seemed better suited for half pipe announcers than for Cal Ripken. That set was nuts.

I just wish Clint Barmes had gotten to play...

Old 10-03-2007, 11:00 AM
Administrator

It's tough for the fans to get too mad with Trevor Hoffman. The guy's a pro through and through, probably worn out from overuse but says he has no excuses and takes responsibility for the loss when there are so many other teammates that he could have pointed a finger at.

Peter C.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 AM
Administrator

I was at Coors Field last night and it certainly was a roller coaster of emotion throughout the long tense game, which ultimately came out favorably for the Rockies. Yet another do-or-die situation where the Rockies found a way to prevail during their remarkable surge down the stretch this season. Got a little help from the Brewers too to keep the Padres within reach.

I couldn't see the Atkins home run (or double as it turned out) or the Holliday winning run clearly from where I was, but the umpires called what they did, it is part of the game.

In any case, we're more than happy in Colorado to have our own team to root for in the postseason this year.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Eric, hollar loud one time for me, "Go Rockies!!!"

You were right there for a great baseball game. Congrats.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks Frank. Go Rockies!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

Beckett looked like the 1st guy you would pick to start a team with today in MLB.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Administrator

I still remember Josh Beckett pitching with the Florida Marlins, the guy is clutch, and will carry the Red Sox far in the playoffs.

Peter C.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Is it just me or is the only team (if you are not a hometwon fan) in the NL playoffs which is interesting enough to watch the Rockies? In the AL the Yanks, Bosox and Injuns are all interesting. The Cubs, DBacks, Phillies and Angels just don't capture my interest.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

Tbob -
Well as much as I hate to admit it being a D-Back fan your right.
The Rockies came into the playoffs as the hottest team in the league
and are playing at a much higher level than any other NL club right now.
If they can continue to play at this pace, they will be tough to beat.
I will say this though, ain't no NL team beating the AL this year.
The top three teams in the AL would beat whichever team that were to come
out of the NL. Just to strong......

Tony

Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John Kalafarski

When the Mets drew Joe West behind the plate, I knew they were in trouble in that last game. Glavine needs the corners. Joe West will not give the corners, not to mention being a self-centered jerk.