NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-19-2011, 09:17 PM

Default Unusual Bob Feller pinback button circa late 1930's - early 1940's

Nice pickup tonite- Unusual Bob Feller pinback button. Approx. 7/8" in diameter
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feller for Mayor pinback button circa 1940.jpg (27.6 KB, 524 views)
File Type: jpg Feller for Mayor pinback button back.jpg (1.6 KB, 516 views)

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-19-2011 at 09:21 PM.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Scott

Picked up this really odd piece. Going to be for sale at some point, but for now, here it is. Has list of players in various AAA down to A ball, and even umpires, of guys who were on this reserve list for the season. Im guessing these were made for MLB Team uses. Pretty weird. A scan saw Yaz and Marichal amongst the reserved players, and others retired, in military and all. Strange. Anyone else have any info on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60reservelist.jpg (23.6 KB, 520 views)
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Taylor's display trunk with early hockey

Not baseball, but picked up this interesting taylor's display trunk with a fantastic early hockey scene on the inside of the lid. It measures 27" long, 10" wide and 7" deep.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0964.jpg (78.0 KB, 460 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Dan Brown

Default Guelph Maple Leaf Baseball Club 1874

Passed up on this, too much bling for me. Nice piece though, about 3'x3'.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00029-20110619-13231.jpg (73.4 KB, 410 views)
Old 06-21-2011, 02:42 PM
Jim Murphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hunter View Post
Not baseball, but picked up this interesting taylor's display trunk with a fantastic early hockey scene on the inside of the lid. It measures 27" long, 10" wide and 7" deep.

made these for Baseball, Football and Hockey. Baseball goes for the most at about $250 to 300
Old 06-21-2011, 07:58 PM
Joe Hunter

Default Harris Wollens Display Trunk

Thanks, Jim. Based on that info, I got a great deal on this one.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Mike Dugan

Dan- Those Lincoln items are just fantastic! I look for Hot Springs Bathers programs everyday and find one every 3-4 years!

I do find quite a few baseball items from the Spring Training days here in Hot Springs but the 1939-41 and 1948-55 Bathers programs are much tougher to find!

Congratulations!!!!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:15 PM
M@tt McC@rthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKreindler View Post
Hey all,

Here's another GREAT shot of Mr. Henrich from July 24, 1937:

Gotta love the slug on the back, too:

"Tommy Henrich selects his bat before going out to drive in some of those runs that have been helping the Yanks to win ball games on their western trip."

Those newspaper guys really knew how to write...

Graig
Thanks Graig for moving this on to me for my collection...I'm looking forward to getting this framed up for my wall...
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:58 PM
Max Weder

Quote:
Originally Posted by deebro041 View Post
Dan

Do you have an auction link for that? On my first impression, the item looks modern (Sleeman does feature old baseball images on its web site)

Max
Old 06-23-2011, 06:28 AM
Dan Brown

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseballart View Post
Dan

Do you have an auction link for that? On my first impression, the item looks modern (Sleeman does feature old baseball images on its web site)

Max
I saw this piece at the Aberfoyle Antique Market near Guelph, Ontario. It was being sold by a vendor who said he bought it at an auction in Guelph a few years ago. The market runs on Sundays only every week.
Any other questions feel free to ask. Dan
Old 06-23-2011, 01:12 PM
Adam B

Default 1945 Tigers World Series Pennant

I havn't been very active in the hobby as of late but just added this 1945 Tigers World Series pennant to my collection and wanted to share.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pennant 002.jpg (75.4 KB, 369 views)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:05 PM
Phil Garry

Just back from Beckett, a 1956 Don Wingfield photo of Whitey Herzog.........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Z_Herzog_Whitey_1956.jpg (46.1 KB, 358 views)
Old 06-23-2011, 02:44 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerden View Post
I havn't been very active in the hobby as of late but just added this 1945 Tigers World Series pennant to my collection and wanted to share.
Many congrats, Adam...

A few of us were wondering who landed that one. There's one you NEVER see, and a championship season, no less. Looks even better in your photo than it did on ebay. Great graphics- great score!
Old 06-23-2011, 03:00 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Springs Bathers View Post
Dan- Those Lincoln items are just fantastic! I look for Hot Springs Bathers programs everyday and find one every 3-4 years!

I do find quite a few baseball items from the Spring Training days here in Hot Springs but the 1939-41 and 1948-55 Bathers programs are much tougher to find!

Congratulations!!!!
Thanks Mike...Someone out there has a stash of them...80% of my programs have come from only three sources..Two were men who attended games, and the other guy sent requests to nearly every minor league club in the country for programs and amassed a huge collection.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:04 PM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
Many congrats, Adam...

A few of us were wondering who landed that one. There's one you NEVER see, and a championship season, no less. Looks even better in your photo than it did on ebay. Great graphics- great score!

Thanks Mark. I know you are the pennant expert and was hoping that you would reply. Yes, it is much nicer than the photo in the auction. The seller indicated that the pennant had pinholes when put up to light but for the life of me I cannot see them. Maybe I am due for a eye doctor appointment. I couldn't believe that the seller had both the Cubs and Tigers versions and presumed that they where purchased together at the Series and kept together for 65 years. Amazing.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:32 PM
Mike H.

Adam...I came real close to pulling the trigger on that one, and am pleased it went to you. Congrats. I for one, have never seen that piece before.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:58 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Yup... Mike H and I were both marveling at that one, Adam...

He and I both have the matching Cubs Pennant from that '45 World Series, and are both envious of your acquisition (Ok, I shouldn't speak for Mike but safe bet he is as jealous as I am...)

Yours is just a gem on 4 levels...

It's a never-seen variation
It commemorates a very important year
The "font" matches the Cubbie version to a tee
The condition is amazing- especially given its age

I know it didn't come cheap, but in retrospect, I think you stole it. I was surprised that the Cubs pennant went for more... probably just a result of the huge number of Cub fans out there. There's no comparison in terms of rarity.

Just a wonderful pickup
Old 06-24-2011, 11:10 AM
Adam B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkm90 View Post
Adam...I came real close to pulling the trigger on that one, and am pleased it went to you. Congrats. I for one, have never seen that piece before.
Thanks Mark and Mike for your seal of approval, your knowledge of pennants has no equal. Mike, maybe I should consider myself lucky that you did not pull the trigger on it and greatful that you recently added a few killer(and rare)Cubs pennants to your collection. No worries, if I ever decide to part with it, I would love to offer it to a someone on this Forum who would appreciate it as much as much as I do.

Last edited by Tigerden; 06-24-2011 at 11:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-25-2011, 07:44 PM
Dan Bretta

My Lincoln collection is having a stellar month...just picked up two 1956 Dick Stuart Chiefs photos from the Sporting News Collection.

This photo was snapped either seconds before or after the photo used on the 1956 Lincoln Mutual card. Probably my favorite photo in my collection now.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:42 AM
Chris Wood

Quote:
Def. modern
Old 06-26-2011, 01:35 PM
Mikeknapp

My nephew came up from Las Vegas and presented me with this item yesterday. Ironically I had been considering purchasing one on ebay but couldn't convince my wife how badly I needed it. It was pleasant surprise from a great kid who never ceases to impress me. Thanks Tone!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1963_Dodgers_WS_Banner.jpg (79.4 KB, 300 views)
Old 06-26-2011, 02:22 PM
Jim Murphy

did he visit the Pawn Stars to get it
Old 06-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Mikeknapp

Funny, I asked him the same question. He actually found while helping a friend clean out his garage. His friend gave it to him when he told him that I hoard things like this.
Old 06-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Dan Brown

Default Cleanup

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71buc View Post
Funny, I asked him the same question. He actually found while helping a friend clean out his garage. His friend gave it to him when he told him that I hoard things like this.
Is there anything else in the garage he wants to get rid of?
Old 06-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Yankeefan51

Default One of our all time favorite post cards

http://www.oldjudge.com/auction/post-cards/289/

Bruce Dorskind
America's Toughest Want List
bdorskind@dorskindgroup.com
Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 AM

71buc,

What is that? a flag?
Old 06-28-2011, 09:04 AM
Rick

Default Wade Boggs minor league bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Hi Brock,

That's a nice Boggs bat. I'm curious about something, though. You mention that it dates to 1977, which would have been Boggs' first full minor-league season (after hitting .263 in rookie ball). I'm surprised that he would have had a signature model bat at that stage of his career. Rob
I found a Tommy Davis bat from 1959 when he played with the Spokane Indians a year before he was called up to the Dodgers, and it was a signature model. I asked John Taube (PSA bat authenticator) about that, and he said that you see signature contracts for players in the minors evey so often.

Rick
Old 06-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Mikeknapp

J.McMurry ,

My understanding is that these canvass banners were sold as a souvenir during the 1963 World Series. It measures approximately 18"x27". There is a place for a small wooden dowel to be inserted at the top. A string was attached to each end of the dowel to enable hanging it from the wall. Mine is missing the dowel. There are no manufacture marking or logos on it so I don't have any idea who produced it. I first saw one in an auction a number of years ago and thought it was interesting. However, I wasn't interested enough to bid the $400 it sold for. Since then I have seen them sell for any where between 200-400. I have heard that a similar one was produced for the 1965 World Series. I have never seen the 1965 version so I don't know if this is a factual statement. Perhaps a more knowledgeable dodger collector would have more reliable information.

Last edited by 71buc; 06-28-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Rick

Default Dodger WS banners

I'm not sure where these were sold. I had never seen either the '63 or '65 banners prior to about 10 years ago, then saw the '63 at a show and thinking how scarce they must have been, paid about $600 for it. Then I found out they found a warehouse full of these. Turns out that the 65 is much more difficult to find. They still are a lot of fun to display. Here is a picture of my 1965 banner.

1965 WS banner 2.jpg

Rick

Last edited by rlevy; 06-28-2011 at 06:07 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:14 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Cool Dodgers Banners!

They really capture that cartoonish innocence of the mid-1960s. That type of artwork reminds me of being a kid, without a care in the world. Great stuff!
Old 06-28-2011, 11:26 AM
James

Default June pickup

Here are a few of the cooler things I've added to my collection recently...

1940s Otto Graham Moyer Bank

Marion Motley Autographed Costello Figurine

Jim Brown Danbury Mint Statue

Jim Brown HOF Limited Edition McFarlane Figure
Old 06-28-2011, 01:55 PM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I found a Tommy Davis bat from 1959 when he played with the Spokane Indians a year before he was called up to the Dodgers, and it was a signature model. I asked John Taube (PSA bat authenticator) about that, and he said that you see signature contracts for players in the minors evey so often.

Rick
I have a 1959 Deacon Jones signature model bat from his days with the Lincoln Chiefs...three years before his major league debut. All of my other minor league bats are block letters.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:50 PM
Mikeknapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlevy View Post
I'm not sure where these were sold. I had never seen either the '63 or '65 banners prior to about 10 years ago, then saw the '63 at a show and thinking how scarce they must have been, paid about $600 for it. Then I found out they found a warehouse full of these. Turns out that the 65 is much more difficult to find. They still are a lot of fun to display. Here is a picture of my 1965 banner.

Attachment 41369

Rick
Thanks for sharing it that is the first one I have ever seen. Now hopefully my nephew will find one of those for me as well
Old 06-29-2011, 04:51 AM

Default 1938 Johnny Vander Meer at Crosley Field action snapshots

I picked up several very cool black and white 4 1/2" x 3 1/4" snapshots of Johnny Vander Meer and Crosley Field during a game with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Some of these really do a nice job of capturing vintage Crosley Field in all it's glory.

Last edited by Scott Garner; 06-29-2011 at 06:20 AM.
Old 06-29-2011, 05:53 AM
Dan Brown

Default snapshots

Great photos Scott. Love the look of the old dugouts.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Great photos Scott. Love the look of the old dugouts.
Hi Dan,
I'm glad you like them. Pretty neat!
Old 06-29-2011, 11:10 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Magnificent, Scott.... Crosley Field was a magical little ballpark (my earliest baseball memories as a kid).

Really appreciate your posts
Old 06-29-2011, 01:27 PM
Rick

Default Dodgers War Cry towel

Not trying to hijack this thread since I have owned this for over 10 years, but until the recent posting of the '63 World Series towel, I forgot I even had it, so it is like a new acquisition for me. My daughter played for a high school basketball team named the Cardinals, and she resented the towel suggesting to "Kill the Cardinals", so i tucked it away and forgot about it until now. I date it to 1962-64 since it references the Colt 45's.

Not the most PC item, can't imagine anyone doing these today.

Rick

war cry towel.jpg
Old 06-29-2011, 04:39 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

First one of those I've ever seen... Awesome Banner!

It's interesting that they couldn't find a "C" word to acconpany Cincinnati (and went with "Sock"). I love that kind of oddball stuff. Great piece!
Old 06-29-2011, 05:52 PM
Rick

Quote:
First one of those I've ever seen... Awesome Banner!

It's interesting that they couldn't find a "C" word to acconpany Cincinnati (and went with "Sock"). I love that kind of oddball stuff. Great piece!
Thanks, I can't even remember where I got it, but it is the only one I have ever seen. I guess the "Clobber" for the Cubs was the only "C" they could come up with. I am an oddball nut as well.

Rick
Old 06-29-2011, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Magnificent, Scott.... Crosley Field was a magical little ballpark (my earliest baseball memories as a kid).

Really appreciate your posts
Thanks Mark! I like your posts as well!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:53 PM
BOB

anybody buy cards anymore????
Old 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206head View Post
My last purchase was a Black Sox member postcard does that count?
Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206head View Post
I recently bought a Dazzy Vance '33 Goudey (but only to accompany a KenWel Vance Glove)