NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
L1 Lajoie, a longtime want.
Great pick-up! That recent 'leather' auction was the time to grab one of these - I had my eye on Speaker, but resisted.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Mikeknapp

QUOTE=Runscott;1062010]These three Conlon photos arrived today. The Goslins have Conlon signatures and notations, one with his stamp. The Johnson is from the family scrapbook. Not sure why the scan is so fuzzy, but I'll get a better one - actually a very clean image.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful photos
Old 12-12-2012, 10:16 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
AWESOME pickup, Paul!! Where did you find it? What's the story?
Just purchased it from someone who inherited/acquired an estate collection of a late baseball "ambassador" who I don't think realized the significance of this game. I gave them a fair price, but it's worth a little more than what I paid for it, and with the letter, maybe a lot more.

I personally wished I would have thought of that when I was younger and added a note to every game I attended then I would actually remember the games, now I just have tons of stubs and the memories all blended together.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Just purchased it from someone who inherited/acquired an estate collection of a late baseball "ambassador" who I don't think realized the significance of this game. I gave them a fair price, but it's worth a little more than what I paid for it, and with the letter, maybe a lot more.

I personally wished I would have thought of that when I was younger and added a note to every game I attended then I would actually remember the games, now I just have tons of stubs and the memories all blended together.
Paul,
The letter that accompanies The Shot Heard Round The World ticket is really super. What a combo!

FWIW, I really think you have a centerpiece type combo piece there. Congrats!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-13-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:37 AM

Default Holy Grail Piece

Really happy with this

Since people have to hate, this is indeed authenticated by both PSA/DNA and James Spence
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruth and Alexander Turned.jpg (74.4 KB, 297 views)

Last edited by bobfreedman; 12-13-2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Mike, thanks for your comment on the photos. The Johnson slipped by at the last Legendary auction - I was thrilled to get it.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-13-2012 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:09 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Bob - Incredible bold Ruth... glad to see you indeed got it!

Mike - Nice job on the lamp... has to be the best one in existence!

Rob - Gorgeous Lajoie Leather... I am green with envy (although it ended up right where it was supposed to).

Incredible month for auctions... I am hoping to "join the party" after Lelands!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Belltown Vintage

Bob, congratulations on locating your holy grail baseball.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-14-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:08 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Really happy with this

Since people have to hate, this is indeed authenticated by both PSA/DNA and James Spence
Whether it be jealously, the need to feel more important than one actually is or just plain mentally challenged..there will always be haters Bob. Most people actually like seeing others do well though. What a great pickup that is. If I was going to spend that kind of money on a sig, I would want it authenticated by psa and jsa too. Congrats!! I always wanted a Ruth ball... maybe someday!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Bob, congratulations on locating your holy grail baseball.
+1

Www.weingartensvintage.com

https://www.facebook.com/WeingartensVintage

http://www.psacard.com/Articles/Arti...ben-weingarten

ALWAYS BUYING BABE RUTH RED SOX TYPE 1 PHOTOGRAPHS--->To add to my collection

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-14-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:17 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfreedman View Post
Really happy with this

Bob, all the memorabilia folks read my post, and there was no 'hate' in it.

The only 'haters' I'm seeing here are you and Ben. Nothing new there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
Whether it be jealously, the need to feel more important than one actually is or just plain mentally challenged..there will always be haters Bob.
And Ben - no, I'm not 'mentally challenged'. But nice shot.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-14-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:21 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Bob, all the memorabilia folks read my post, and there was no 'hate' in it.

The only 'haters' I'm seeing here are you and Ben. Nothing new there.

And Ben - no, I'm not 'mentally challenged'. But nice shot.
Are you out of your mind? Where did he mention you??? I really don't think I hate.. just like to call out the haters.. guess I did it again???!!

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-14-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
These three Conlon photos arrived today. The Goslins have Conlon signatures and notations, one with his stamp. The Johnson is from the family scrapbook. Not sure why the scan is so fuzzy, but I'll get a better one - actually a very clean image.
PS: Nice pickups Truly.. that Walter is nice.. I don't remember seeing it in legendary. Nice addition Scott.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Are you out of your mind? Where did he mention you??? I really don't think I hate.. just like to call out the haters.. guess I did it again???!!
No, Ben, I am not out of my mind...and I'm not mentally challenged. These aren't terms I use to describe people. Hopefully you never have to deal first-hand with mental illness, but if you do, I can guarantee you'll drop them from your insult vocabulary as well. Really, I hope that doesn't happen.

If you did not read my original posts, which I edited after realizing how defensive Bob is about this ball, then I apologize. Seriously.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
No, Ben, I am not out of my mind...and I'm not mentally challenged. These aren't terms I use to describe people. Hopefully you never have to deal first-hand with mental illness, but if you do, I can guarantee you'll drop them from your insult vocabulary as well. Really, I hope that doesn't happen.

If you did not read my original posts, which I edited after realizing how defensive Bob is about this ball, then I apologize. Seriously.
Actually Scott.. I, like many countless others have experienced Mental illness with loved ones. It is not just you. Saying "out of their mind" in reference to "haters" is in no way showing a lack of empathy or respect for those who struggle through mental illness every day. You have no idea what I have been through in this arena, so before you accuse someone of such a thing, I would think twice or at least know the situation. Could I have been more tasteful... PC...sure.. I guess... but I think your statement is absurd, careless and insulting. If I offended anyone, I am sorry.

Last edited by Forever Young; 12-14-2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:54 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Actually Scott.. I, like many countless others have experienced Mental illness with loved ones. It is not just you. Saying "out of their mind" is in no way showing a lack of empathy or respect for those who struggle through it every day. I think this statement is absurd, careless and insulting. Seriously...
Actually Ben, '"absurd, careless and insulting" IS a perfect description of your poor choice of words.

I realize that with you it's either 'walk on eggshells' or ignore, and I'm tired of walking on eggshells. Goodbye.
Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Actually Ben, '"absurd, careless and insulting" IS a perfect description of your poor choice of words.

I realize that with you it's either 'walk on eggshells' or ignore, and I'm tired of walking on eggshells. Goodbye.
You're crazy.

Old 12-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
You have no idea what I have been through in this arena, so before you accuse someone of such a thing, I would think twice or at least know the situation.
????? I accused you of a very poor choice of words, and I'll do so again - If you have experience with mental illness, then it's especially deplorable. Seriously, we have nothing more to discuss - put your guilt card back in your pocket and talk about vintage photos.

But with someone else.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
????? I accused you of a very poor choice of words, and I'll do so again - If you have experience with mental illness, then it's especially deplorable. Seriously, we have nothing more to discuss - put your guilt card back in your pocket and talk about vintage photos.

But with someone else.
Everyone feel sorry for runscott...

Old 12-19-2012, 07:41 PM

Default My favorite 2012 pickup

Well, much to my great surprise, December ended up producing my favorite pickup of 2012. Christmas came early this year!

Here is a game ball from Nolan Ryan's 15th strikeout in his 1974 AL record 19 K 9-inning game on 8/12/74. Ryan passed HOF Bob Feller for the AL record and tied Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton's ML record 19 K's in this game. This ball came directly from the Angels 1974 ball boy Paul Hirsch. Paul retrieved the ball when it hit the backstop and screen during the at bat of Cecil Cooper immediately following Ryan's 15th K that night. His letter of provenance fills in all the details.

Rocket Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood and Randy Johnson have since become the standard bearers with 20 K's in a 9 inning game.

Additionally, I purchased Nolan Ryan's 1974 Angels locker tag from Paul as well. I don't know if it is clearly visible, but you can actually see these Angels locker tags in the background in the picture of Paul and Nolan posing together in the Angels Clubhouse in 1974.

1974 was arguably one of Nolan's best seasons. He struck out 19 three times (yikes!), a 1-hitter and his 3rd career no hitter.

Both of these items are excellent additions to the Angels portion of my advanced Nolan Ryan collection. Not many items make their way into my Ryan collection these days. They have to have special significance and have perfect provenance. These two items made the cut in a huge way...

Many thanks to long time Bay Area collector/dealer friend Mark Macrae for connecting me with Paul!

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-19-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Good stuff, Scott.

Way to end the year with a bang.
Old 12-20-2012, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob D. View Post
Good stuff, Scott.

Way to end the year with a bang.
Thanks Rob! This is why I didn't chase the Feller debut ticket...

Last edited by Scott Garner; 12-20-2012 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Weingarten's Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
Well, much to my great surprise, December ended up producing my favorite pickup of 2012. Christmas came early this year!

Here is a game ball from Nolan Ryan's 15th strikeout in his 1974 AL record 19 K 9-inning game on 8/12/74. Ryan passed HOF Bob Feller for the AL record and tied Tom Seaver and Steve Carlton's ML record 19 K's in this game. This ball came directly from the Angels 1974 ball boy Paul Hirsch. Paul retrieved the ball when it hit the backstop and screen during the at bat of Cecil Cooper immediately following Ryan's 15th K that night. His letter of provenance fills in all the details.

Rocket Roger Clemens, Kerry Wood and Randy Johnson have since become the standard bearers with 20 K's in a 9 inning game.

Additionally, I purchased Nolan Ryan's 1974 Angels locker tag from Paul as well. I don't know if it is clearly visible, but you can actually see these Angels locker tags in the background in the picture of Paul and Nolan posing together in the Angels Clubhouse in 1974.

1974 was arguably one of Nolan's best seasons. He struck out 19 three times (yikes!), a 1-hitter and his 3rd career no hitter.

Both of these items are excellent additions to the Angels portion of my advanced Nolan Ryan collection. Not many items make their way into my Ryan collection these days. They have to have special significance and have perfect provenance. These two items made the cut in a huge way...

Many thanks to long time Bay Area collector/dealer friend Mark Macrae for connecting me with Paul!
Scott, This is a fantastic Ryan pickup. Congrats to you! Ben