NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-09-2013, 03:31 PM

Collecting Old Judge cards on a budget, as if finding specific cards from the set isn't hard enough as it is. It usually takes two people collecting the same team at the same time to make players from that team more expensive. I've seen it with Detroit, Louisville, Browns and Baltimore. If you ever collect a team from the set, do a survey first to make sure no one else is trying for that team too.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-11-2013, 10:41 AM
Jim M.arinari

Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
It seems when i was a young collector...many dealers/auctioneers were just "dicks"...now they're criminals!
Thanks for the laugh Pete! (so true, btw. )
Old 10-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintagecatcher View Post
Patience is the toughest part of my collecting these days now that I really only need a few more cards. My biggest frustration, however, is when one of the cards finally surfaces but it is part of a large lot in an auction.

And so I wait...impatiently.

Patrick
+1
This is my situation with a current REA lot.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Sometimes things I want never pop up...when I have the funds...then when I don't...they pop up

Ricky Y
Old 10-11-2013, 02:31 PM
Adam Goldenberg

Default Frustration

Being offered cards at heavily inflated prices because I am collecting that particular subset.
Old 10-11-2013, 02:37 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

The continual flow of hot, sex-starved women throwing themselves at me because I collect cards.

A close second would be the lotting decisions made by the auctioneers. I have to buy so much crap in most auctions just to get the item or two I want. It is very frustrating, especially when they've mixed a truly rare item in with the rest of the stuff. If it isn't a set being sold, there is no reason to bury a rare card like that. I also cannot stand when they lump together a group of rare cards that would stand very well broken into smaller lots. I feel sorry for the consignors because you know that they are being screwed out of a large part of the value of the lot when no one except a dealer will buy it.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 10-11-2013 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:52 AM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibitman View Post

...[T]he lotting decisions made by the auctioneers. I have to buy so much crap in most auctions just to get the item or two I want. It is very frustrating, especially when they've mixed a truly rare item in with the rest of the stuff. If it isn't a set being sold, there is no reason to bury a rare card like that. I also cannot stand when they lump together a group of rare cards that would stand very well broken into smaller lots. I feel sorry for the consignors because you know that they are being screwed out of a large part of the value of the lot when no one except a dealer will buy it.
+1 there. It took me YEARS longer to acquire my '56 Kahns Frank Robinson and '47 Tip Top Ralph Kiner for that very reason--two very tough (and significant) cards that the auctioneer just didn't feel were valuable enough to place in individual lots, on more than one occasion, and instead threw them in with 10-20 other cards I had no interest in.

Best wishes to all,

Larry

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-12-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:15 AM
Joe Gonsowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by z28jd View Post
Collecting Old Judge cards on a budget, as if finding specific cards from the set isn't hard enough as it is. It usually takes two people collecting the same team at the same time to make players from that team more expensive. I've seen it with Detroit, Louisville, Browns and Baltimore. If you ever collect a team from the set, do a survey first to make sure no one else is trying for that team too.
Agreed, I need to switch teams, maybe Pittsburgh would be easier.
- 19th century Detroit memorabilia and cards with emphasis on Goodwin & Co. issues ( N172 / N173 / N175 ) and Tomlinson cabinets
- N333 SF Hess Newsboys League cards (all teams)
- Pre ATC Merger (1890 and prior) cigarette packs and redemption coupons from all manufacturers
Old 10-12-2013, 05:51 AM
T.e.d. B.r.o.w.n.

Stopping into a local card show only to find showcases full of game used cards and "sticker" autographed cards (if I peel the sticker autograph off of the card and stick it to my wall, does that make my wall a rare 1/1). What happened to players actually signing the cards? Where do these guys get all of these cards without knowing anything about the sport or players? My guess is that they buy a case, weigh each pack, open the different weight packs and then sell the individual packs to people who think no different. Tip for kids.....never by single packs at card shows, especially when the showcases are crammed full of memorabilia cards. Better yet kids, stay with vintage cards, they have a great history lesson.

We stopped in a show last weekend, with my youngest son who collects newer football cards, and some guy was sitting there behind his display case, crammed full of the above mentioned cards. We asked him about a certain set and he asked "what sport is it?". How do you consider yourself a collector/dealer and not know much about what you are selling? Give me a break.
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 AM
Brian J0hns0n

My frustration is with sellers who post cards for sale without scans, photos or links to images. Generally I will just ignore those listings. Often times the seller will say that scans are available and can be sent by email. If scans are available, why not just include them in the listing? If you don't know how to attach, just ask for help. I hope this doesn't rub anyone the wrong way because it happens alot here on the BST (and other places too)... I'm just saying. Ebay now requires an image, maybe BST should also too?
Old 10-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Jon L

Frustrating but fun: Finding cards within my budget
Just frustrating: Reproductions and fraud
Old 10-12-2013, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_G. View Post
Agreed, I need to switch teams, maybe Pittsburgh would be easier.
I didn't run into trouble finding Pittsburgh players until I got down to the final three, Conway, Nichols and Deacon White. Got the first two, but now White is out of reach. Going after each pose would be a very difficult task! I have bought some extra poses of players I already had, but I'm nowhere near having them all and not really trying.
Check out my two newest books. One covers the life and baseball career of Dots Miller, who was mentored by Honus Wagner as a rookie for the 1909 Pirates, then became a mentor for a young Rogers Hornsby. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CV633PNT The other has 13 short stories of players who were with the Pittsburgh Pirates during the regular season, but never played in a game for the team https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CY574YNS
Old 10-12-2013, 04:17 PM
Rob Ruddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosox Blair View Post
Hi Scott,

I'm not an expert on this - just an eBay buyer. But my understanding is that recently (in the last year or so) eBay introduced this GSP option for sellers to use when the buyer was outside the US - including Canada. The pitch is that by using it the seller avoids all the complexities of shipping to a foreign country. Instead, if the seller selects this, eBay automatically calculates shipping, and also certain estimated cross-border fees the buyer would incur, and those are all charged to the buyer.

From the buyer's perspective, the fees charged through this method are exorbitant. It would be WAY, WAY cheaper if the seller just mailed the item using USPS.

Using cards as an example, in many cases the buyer would never incur any of the fees grabbed by eBay's GSP program.

As a collector in Canada, I avoid sellers who are using GSP. Or I message them and work a way around it.

Cheers,
Blair
The "Import fees" are exorbitant but remember this, the seller is still charging his/her own shipping fee as well so it is a double hit. Unfortunately I see more and more USA sellers buying into this GSP. Here's an actual example:

A US seller has an N310 Mayo Cut Plug John L. Sullivan card listed at $499.99, the shipping cost to Canada is $15.46 and the import charges are $74.69.

Unless he is agreeable to shipping the traditional way, this seller has a snowball's chance in hell of getting my business. It is Canada Custom's job to deal with import (duty), not eBay and certainly not the seller! I can count on one hand the number of times since 1999 that I actually had to pay duty. Why should I have to pay this ridiculous fee for an item that I most likely won't have to pay duty on anyway? I question its legality. I'd love to get a Canadian lawyer's opinion on this.
Old 10-12-2013, 04:19 PM
Val Kehl

Further to what Brian said above, it frustrates me when an online seller shows only a pic of the front of a card, especially when there is more than one variation for the back of the card (e.g., E121/80 American Caramel).
Val
Old 10-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Luis

When a card you want/need finally is available but then the condition doesn't lend itself to the purchase.