NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-11-2005, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Default T210 Old Mill Jackson in REA Auction-New Owner's Perspective

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

A CRITICAL factor in my assessment that the Jackson card is as originally issued is that there are significant numbers of T210s from multiple collections other than the consignor's that exhibit similiar cuts. These cards also cover series other than series 8. I can certainly understand the concern that if ALL the known T210s with such cuts originated from one collection, then it would substantially boost the argument that they all could originate from one renegade employee cutting up sheets at home. If such was the case, then I would not have had the comfort level I needed to buy the card.

In regard to Scott's great question as to whether the percentage of known miscut cards in an issue should have a bearing as to how the card should be regarded, for my tastes, I would like to know that the card can be confidently said to be as originally produced AND that it was reflective of manufacturing standards common to more than just a minuscule percentage of the run. In the case of T206s, if the percentage of such miscuts is so small that it is indicative of, say, a drunk employee or something comparably extraordinarily remiss in the manufactoring process, then I would probably shy away from buying it. That view, of course, is entirely subjective to how I collect. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer as to how such a card should be regarded. And that is what makes collecting so much fun!

Old 05-11-2005, 09:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

Perfect, and the humor is also appreciated (I've been on tedious conference calls all morning).

Old 05-11-2005, 09:55 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

First of all thanks for hanging in there with us. We can be a bit demanding at times but it's all good. I think we have learned a hell of a lot from this board over the years. This board, and it's predecessor, has really kept me interested through times of no big auctions If you have spoken to collectors that have lot's of cards, that are not from series 7 or 8, and have this same type of cut, then I would feel the exact same way you do. Nice research and rebuttal.....you lawyers have an unfair advantage on the board. All of my arguing is done at home and I always lose take care...

Old 05-11-2005, 09:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Adam J. Moraine

Damn, an $80,000 bid for a card of Joe Jackson! It must be rough to have that kind of money to burn. It is a nice card, even though I am not too big on Joe Jackson.

Best Regards,

Adam J. Moraine

Old 05-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hal Lewis

Given the great price that this T210 Jackson brought at auction...

I expect to see several more of them up for auction soon.

At least... I HOPE SO!!!

Old 05-11-2005, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Forrest

A lot of people read this board and take what's written hear as gospel truth, especially if it's written by someone who's buying $80K cards. That being said, it's even more important that we talk through things like this and get opposing views.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:21 AM
Administrator

Posted By: HW

With all of the research that was done, it would seem logical that some T210's come with wavy vintage cuts. But, as someone else pointed out on this thread, for every small card like the Jackson that was cut undersized, there would be a larger card that had the Jackson's extra border. It seems as though all of the T210s that came with the Jackson in REA's auction were short and narrow:

What happened to all of the oversized cards?

Here is the only other image of a series 8 card that I can find right now:

I agree that the Jackson is a great card and the wavy cut is vintage. I have a hard time believing that it was done at the factory when all of the other examples of the cards that it was found with in the REA auction seem to be small also.

Old 05-11-2005, 10:25 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

Leon,

Interesting idea on the 1909 Obaks. The border backs seem to be machine cut, and the borderless backs always seem to be hand cut -- the decision on machine v. hand cutting appears to have been made prior to printing. The Obaks' printing backs either borders/borderless allows one to distinguish the cuts...

Brian

Old 05-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

I stand corrected....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=86841&item=5194546547&rd=1