NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Administrator

Default Worst Experience Collecting

Posted By: Joe

Early 90s…I buy a Babe Ruth signature watch via mail from a dealer in Rhode Island, not the common 40s character, but the rarer late 20s-early 30s art deco watch with Ruth’s facsimile autograph on the face. I showed the watch to my dad, an antique timepiece collector, who popped open the watch and said to me, “you just paid $500 (or $300?) for a dial.” What I bought was a watch face placed onto a movement too small for what may or not have been the original case so the movement had to be built out with a waxy substance so that it would fit into the case. I returned the watch and had my money returned, no questions asked.

Fast forward to a major Sotheby’s auction, the Copeland Collection, I believe, but certainly a sale with William Mastro consulting for the great New York house. There’s a Babe Ruth signature watch lot. It looks familiar. Very familiar. I go to the viewing. I get to meet the legendary Bill Mastro. I ask to see the inside of the watch. He says they can’t do that. I say it’s Sotheby’s and they have someone there who surely can open a watch. They open the watch and it is, of course, the very same watch I owned briefly: same scratch on the crystal, same waxy substance, same watch. I point out the problems to Mastro. He says, “So?” I tell him I owned the watch, bla, bla, bla…he says, “Impossible. It’s been part of the same collection for years.” Oh well, maybe someone had been mass-producing these things for years.

The watch sold for 900 bucks. I learned a very valuable lesson in expertise.

Old 05-19-2007, 05:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Joe, that's a hilarious story.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Andrew

Two words:

"Crazy Canuck"
_______

Yup, I second that one! Jason Bobbitt has ripped off others on this board as well. I did recover my loss, but it was one of my worse collecting experiences. In regard to "there are two sides to every story", well, not always:

If side A proves that money was sent
and side B admits that items were not sent
then there is only one side

Also, I know it's debatable to air grievances involving board member transactions. It is interesting that there's usually a consensus of opinion regarding others. That is, if there was a poll as to who's the most honorable, who's the most likely to overgrade, most likely to not disclose all facts, most likely to offer a refund without questions asked, etc., some names would receive very high percentages. Airing grievances THAT MEET CERTAIN CRITERIA might make people think twice about intentionally defrauding, posting sold and not paying, not making amends, etc.

"Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame." -- Erica Jong

Old 05-20-2007, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Crazy Canuck - LOL -

He gave me my only EBAY negative, he never shipped me a $5 card.

I negged him, and he retaliated. I then got a couple e mails from people
who were trying to put together prosecutable cases against him for some
rather large dollar amount deals where he allegedly got the cash but allegedly never sent the goods.

Old 05-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul Arpasi (prad)

I rarely post but will share this. When I was in school around 1992, I had a pretty good relationship with a dealer in Toledo, Ohio (Not KSavage) who had a small shop on Sylvania avenue. He was a nice guy and sold me many cards. Like many students I needed to raise money so I gave hime cards to sell on consignment. Cards included Goudey Ruth and Gehrig and 1940 Playball Dimaggio, Many T206 HOFs and 56 Topps stars. The cards were gone one day and he promised to pay me. After many weeks he implied that he gave the cards to a collector who he owed money to or sold the cards to cover his expenses. He promised to pay but never could. Finally he had new remarkable items in stock which he offered to me in trade for my lost cards. I recieved 55 bowman Mays, Berra, and others I forget now. The key to the deal was an Old Judge Kelly card and Brunners Bread Evers. I was satisfied for many years until I had them graded and learned they were counterfeit. I don't know if he knew they were fakes or not. Today I trust very few dealers and prefer to deal with collectors. Also, I only buy graded cards.

Best wishes

Old 05-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I have had a few, but as Quan alludes to, the loss of an entire set of E98s coming back from GAI via UPS was the worst. We tracked them down to the UPS location in Little Rock, Arkansas, where like the Roach Motel or the Hollywood California, they checked in but never left. GAI refunded the insurance payment but the cards are worth 3 times that now (about 3-4 years ago when this happened) PLUS there was a beautiful Clarke with "Old Put" stamped on the back. I severely underestimated its value as I also did on an E98 Wagner.
That's my horror story.

Old 05-23-2007, 05:41 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dylan

Thats the thing about it too. These cards that were lost a few years back are worth much more now then the refund you received. You can always make more money but you cant always replace a certain card. I wonder when these things happen if someone ends up with the package by mistake or if the cards end up in a dumpster somehow never to be seen again? This is why I would be so hesitent to send true rarities(especially condition sensitive ones) through the mail. Imagine losing something like the 1912 Hassan triple folder display piece that was auctioned by REA last year. Even if you get the purchase refunded a piece of history was potentially lost forever. There's a point where i think id just assume fly over and pick something up by hand then have it shipped, especially something condition sensitive like a large advertising piece like the one mentioned above. Anyone ever done that?