NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-20-2008, 01:41 PM
Administrator

Default B&L Auction Disclosure

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

I think Leon just doesn't want to 'fess up to being the owner of that Nazi helment in the auction.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

We will put a list of lots we own on this thread later this evening. Scott was unaware of a few extra lots I put in from my stuff at the end of our listings so it will be a bit more than he stated.........I hope this helps in everyone's comfort level. We want to do what is right.....We have not one iota to hide.....and are more transparent and less expensive than almost any auction house in the industry.....Thanks again for the large amount of bids we have received so far. We look forward to many more great auctions too...Best of luck if you go for something.....

Old 05-20-2008, 01:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Paradis

Why can't everyone just assume that for Sloate and B&L Auctions all the items are owned by the auctioneer (and then bid accordingly)?

If they identify their items we all of a sudden trust them? What if they lied about what they owned? How would we know?
We trust them to identify their stuff, but don't trust them with the auction?

Either way there could be dishonesty (one would be lying and then possibly cheating, the other just possibly cheating).

If you don't trust them, I wouldn't bid (that includes EBAY sellers, REA, B&L, etc). Labeling items they owned wouldn't make me all of a sudden trust them.

I'd much rather bid in Barry and Leon's auctions than an EBAY auction any day.

That's just how I feel. It makes sense to me but I guess everyone has the right to their own level of trust.

Dan

Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

I agree completely and wholeheartedly. With that said I am also in agreement with my other good friends in this thread too....so we will try to please everyone .

Old 05-20-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Leon & Scott: thanks for listening and responding so quickly.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe D.

Thank you Leon and Scott for the forthcoming list.

now.... can we have Lichtman banned from bidding? He is a trouble maker - and shouldn't be allowed to participate.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dave F

Joe-

Now aren't you being just a tad ridilious? Could you not settle on Lichtman just being banned on a few specific lots? Or do you really need him locked out of the entire sha-bang?

Dave

Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Administrator

We hope to have all of those folks wanting full disclosure in the spirited bidding......We put more lots in this auction than we probably will in future ones as we are only just getting started.....our lots are
1,3,4,12,13,27,30,34,36,37,47,48,51,63-65,72-75,77,79,82,83,89, 92-101,103-107,114,122,124,128,129,133-36,138,139,141,144, 158-61,165-170,172,183,187.......

In Scott's defense I added about 20 at the last minute to give type collectors something more to bid on ....We hope ya'll enjoy......

Remember "0%/12.5%" why pay more?

edited to add a few page breaks.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Mt. Joy

Thanks for the list and I look forward to bidding!

Old 05-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Administrator

Posted By: cmoking

Excellent, thanks! I think in the end, there probably will make no difference in the final price...but it makes some people happy, so that can be good for business, with no negatives for you guys. Good luck in the auction.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Since it looks like Lichtman will be took care of...must be something I can do to get Joe D banned. Joe, maybe if you'd get mad about the lot numbers Leon and Scott gave themselves?

I have to get you "whales" out, so the poor folk can win something.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:27 PM
Administrator

In order to usurp any possible sanctions on me, I have decided to self-ban myself from bidding on a handful of lots in all B & L auctions going forward. As such I will not be participating in any lots featuring Norm Cash.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Jeff-

I dont know proper court procedure. But I think at this point I want to either "object"...or "make motion to proceed"

Damn, if I'd just watch more of my wife's programs at night.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Thanks Leon. At the end of the day, people were going to bid regardless. But if this increases the comfort level of the some potential bidders without burdening the auction house, then it is a good move. Hopefully, other auction houses will follow your lead.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob D.

So, Leon and Scott, how about periodic updates on the number of bids withdrawn because people placed them not knowing one of you was the owner of the lot? I imagine the number will be huge, now that that info has been disclosed.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Huge. Under/over? 2.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

So, Leon and Scott, how about periodic updates on the number of bids withdrawn because people placed them not knowing one of you was the owner of the lot? I imagine the number will be huge, now that that info has been disclosed.

Unbelievable. Less I say the better.

Steve

Old 05-20-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Jeff,

How much can I get down on the under?

Old 05-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Administrator

Rob, for you I'd give you 100 to 1 odds and a limit of 10K on the bet.**

**Upon placement of your bet, I will immediately proceed to withdraw two of my bids.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:29 PM
Administrator

Kudos to you for disclosing that.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:05 PM
Administrator

I'm all about transparency.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator

You are so transparent you are like "buddah"......I'm tellin' ya'... "buddah"....

Old 05-20-2008, 08:38 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh Siegel

There is an auction system in place that does help to eliminate the potential for auction houses to shill bid. The one catch with this system is that you have to be an actual auctioneer to participate. This means that you have to be an actual licensed auctioneer and not an internet auction company. This is he eBay Live auction format. The downside is that the Ten Minute Rule Auctions cannot be run withthis format. It is a good old fashioned auction format with absentee bids left on eBay with no one being able to tell what the high bid is until the item comes up for sale. There is a live floor audience like any LIVE auction. Think about it....an auction in it's truest form. Everyone leaves their best bid prior to the auction of follows along and bids in real time. Many auction houses do not like formats such as this because it takes too much control out of their hands. Also, licensed auctioneers have state rules to follow that do not apply to internet auctions. eBay does not promote the live auctions that well because they do not make as much $$$ as they want to so they can sometimes be easily overlooked. I think Mastro, Heritage, Sotheby's and a few others use this format for many of their auctions. Leon hasn't even had his first auction yet and he is being run over by critics. I'll be sure to not bid on one of the lots Leon owns!!! Why wouldn't I buy a card from a great collector. Some people just think too much for their own good. Instead of assuming everyone is a crook, just figure out who the crooks are and who the hobbyists are. A crook will always be a crook. If you have him disclose which lots he owns, the crook will have John Doe consign them!

Thanks for trying to run an honest gig Leon - Josh Siegel

Old 05-20-2008, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rawn Hill

If there was anything that I was bidding on, this would be much more relevant, there are no Carrigan items, but I do trust that this is a legite this thing. The prices so far are not out of line in accordance with similar auctions one same items. I'm not an expert by any stretch, however, I do keep certain in my logs, this is lagit.

You can tell by the very high bids that I would I place.

Rawn

Old 05-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john w

Keep this up and we will all be bidding in the same old auctions - people need to find a girl.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

Can anyone name a auction company that has never had an employee have a personal lot in the auction? I can't think of any. I actually would be more prone to bid on a lot owned by the auctioneer. I used to have Barry and Lew give me the full descriptions of their own lots in their auctions... It was good conversation and I enjoy hearing them pitch me on stuff they like. I have even had Barry tell me that he is the owner of a lot (Gypsy Queen) and it is at a pretty high price and their were better deals in the auction. I rewarded him for his opinion and jumped the bid two amounts and won it (I might add, I was in Vegas and on my 5th beer)

JC

Old 05-21-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jim Clarke

I take it that no one could name a company?

Old 05-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Administrator

Did I tell you about the Just So and the N321 in our auction? .....and I agree with you. I always like winning some of Lew's personal collection in his auctions.....it's been great. I would have bid the same though, even if they weren't his. Ownership doesn't really matter to me as long as there is no shilling and procedures in place to protect me as much as possible. Nice to see you posting again.....Good luck in our auction. There should be a few things that interest you....