NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-02-2009, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Default Baseball Card corruption

Posted By: Steve

I do see the ink going across the border.

Leon, that is what in the printing industry they call 'registration'

My comment has nothing to do with how SGC grades such flaws

I was simply thinking aloud I guess.

Edited to add: The name IMO in the scan does not have a registration problem.

10 years ago I was great friends with a stripper (a printing job) and he explained
how he did his job and when he messed up the registration of the item he was working on would suffer.

In any event it is a nice card.

Steve

Old 01-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Administrator

Posted By: E, Daniel

If you think it's a 10, crack it out and call it one. Just don't insist I have to believe it's gem mint or that anyone else should either.

If you want someone else's opinion and are going to buy into the whole grading shebang (which I happen to love on many levels), then quit bitching about it and live with the inconsistent nature of the beast.

AND, if you've picked PSA as your lover, then please just kindly accept she's got awful pretty skirts but can't f@%k worth a lick. Some one else may want her from afar, but wait till they have to live with her.

As they say on SNL, 'Seriously'!!!!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

wow...nice analogy...kids...hold your ears?

are you telling me that this...er these beauties are really PSA in disguise?
[linked image]

Old 01-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Now thems some ear muffs. happy.gif

Old 01-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: barrysloate

Peter- do those breasts have a face?

Old 01-02-2009, 05:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: peter ullman

i'd assume so...unfortunately they're not mine. This is wikipedia's definition of cleavage...and it's a good one!

Old 01-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob

I'm sure every dealer has told potential customers they can get better grades than they could--to attach any meaning to the comment is silly. Jim C.>>

Huh? Jim, I'm not sure if this is a reference to my description of an auction house employee telling me they could get better grades if they submitted the cards than if I submitted them myself. If it is, it certainly is NOT silly to attach meaning to this as I happen to live in the real world where things like this happen all the time.

I'm just curious, do you think that a guy who submits thousands and thousands of cards to a particular grading company gets the same "breaks" and "considerations" and "benefits of a doubt" that Moe Bandy from Sugarleaf, Oklahoma, who sends in 8 cards a year, does?

Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimCrandell

I don't believe I get any special breaks...period. I tell people that want me to submit for them no as it will not make a difference.

An auction house employee would not get better grades because the grader knew they were his cards. He would get them only if he could call Joe and ask for another review and point out why he thought they should be a higher grade.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Fred C

Jim,

Please don't make me pull the "Harris Card" out for this debate. Yes, I always go back to that because it is a very legitimate case of PSA blatantly providing higher grades to a collection of cards. Please don't try and write that there were no trimmed cards in the bunch or that a "5" or "6" was given to a card with a crease because without the crease the card would have been a "9" or "10".

"I'm sure every dealer has told potential customers they can get better grades than they could--to attach any meaning to the comment is silly. Silly? Please define silly. In this case, I think you may be a little misguided in your opinion of PSA, preferential treatment and "the buddy network".

I'm not trying to get your goat or piss you off but we are all entitled to our opinions, and this is one of the few that my wife didn't give me.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: marshall barkman

I apologize for the structure of my post to all. In response to Quan i submitted a 2001 Bowman Chrome rookie auto and when it got slabbed a 9 it brought over 4000 back in the day. In response to the clown from PSA or whoever he works for you can throw out the recieving goods theory at PSA and that get submitted without any name. Are you freaking serious that i am gonna buy that load of H O R S E S H I T?

I spoke to Joe and he said he would personally look at the cards and deliver them to the grader. What you have to realize is that i spoke to Joe literally for about 20 minutes as to why i did not want my cards submitted by a auction house and that all i wanted is a fair shake. I find it odd that now my cards are graded and shipped and the bum will not get on the phone.

In response to the auction house not having pull with my T-206's let's get real here. The cards sold for over 36,000 dollars and trust me that particular auction house has pull wherever it goes. I just do not want to deal with any middle man and i wanted to grade the rest of my cards and sell them myself without the auction house charging a 20% buyer premium and a 10% selling premiuim.

Last but not least i have heard every excuse as to why cards grade the way they do. Here are the excuses 1.Different graders 2.Busy Card show deadline has to be met 3.Dealers send in huge amounts of cards so grades go their way 4.Depends on the pop report and value of the card and who the client is who owns the big card.

ARE YOU #$%ING KIDDING ME? THIS IS NOT FINDING A CURE FOR CANCER IT IS SIMPLY GRADING A LITTLE RECTANGULAR PIECE OF CARDBOARD AND DEFINING THE PARAMETERS OF A GRADE IS SIMPLE!

If Bernie Madoff can swindle 50 billion then trust me these grading companies can do whatever they want behind closed doors. I am gonna crack the Beauties out and throw the holders in the trash. I'll bide my time and resubmit them properly to get the right grades but with a different company.

What should be reported to the attorney general of Ca is the PSA Set Registry buy back system and the fact that they can protect high end cards in a registry. Let's turn the heat up on Pro Scam Alliance and see how they like it.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Administrator

Jim...bro you are clueless. I don't know what rock you crawled out from under but i do know 100% how the grading game is played. I sat at grading booths from 2002 to 2005 in between tournaments and watched all the moves go down between super high end dealers and the companies. I'm talking about 1000 to 100,000 dollar cards not nickel and dime cards. Do you have any idea what a huge break it is in certain cards to get a PSA 9 instead of a 8? Let's take a T-206 Eddie Plank for example. In a PSA 7 holder SMR on the card is 98,000 and in a PSA 8 holder it is 275,000 so do you understand the game now and the seriousness of money at stake when you submit a card? This is not shuffleboard in South Beach pal but the high ticket world of old and rare baseball cards.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Pro Scam Alliance...

I like that!

Old 01-03-2009, 03:08 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

Fred,

Of course--everyone makes mistakes--not saying they don't make mistakes. Ask your wife about this. My wife tells me I do frequently happy.gif

Marshall,

What rock did I climb from under? I am one of seven collectors in the HOF and I have roughly 25,000 vintage/semi-vintage cards. I know every major vintage dealer personally and talk to many people in the hobby frequently.

Post some scans. Prove that your cards are undergraded.

Jim

Old 01-03-2009, 05:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott Dango

are you shoelessjoejackson on ebay?

interesting how these types of threads never start on PSA Boards....

Old 01-03-2009, 06:03 AM
Administrator

I am not shoeless joe jackson on e-bay. I do really wish i could post the cards but i cannot get the pics small enough to put them on here. I don't have to prove anything about the cards because if you know anything about American Beauties they were rough cut so most of the time i have seen 7 and 8's with a little fraying on the edge. Another thing about the beauties is that there is nothing on the back, no centering issues or ink dots because of the blank back. The cards were cello pack pulled so enough said.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:28 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

If you send me scans I will post them for you.....take care

Old 01-03-2009, 07:31 AM
Administrator

Posted By: John J. Grillo

Marshall, I too, would appreciate it if you would post the scans..it is really not that difficult to do, especially considering the argument being made here.

My vintage collection has varied over the years (from T206s, then selling em' and then vintage boxing, and selling em', etc, etc, etc). I have submitted to PSA and SGC since the 90's. My collection is now modern junk (a term so eloquently stated here on this board) and I submit only about 10 cards a year now to BGS.

Is there widespread or systematic corruption in TPG...I doubt it. Be wary of what certain representatives of auction houses say about being able to get high grades. In my opinion, it is merely a ploy for them to get your business. Has collusion between a TPG employee and submitter occurred here and there...probably yes. We have seen enough "Red Flags" over the years to realize there are "leaks" in the system. Although I think the original post is somewhat hyperbole, a good example is provided in regards to the T206 Plank card.

The most important aspect of TPG for me is if the graders got MY cards graded right! For the most part, PSA, SGC, and BGS have been very good at grading my cards. I am not the type of guy to worry or be jealous about what grades the "other guy" is receiving, just as long as my cards are graded accurately. I guess my attitude stems from not collecting cards from an investment standpoint.

I am a very disciplined and successful person in all aspects of my life, with the exception of collecting cards--I am a total wreck. I buy high and sell low...but it is an outlet for me, a passion, and a hobby.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

"if you've picked PSA as your lover, then please just kindly accept she's got awful pretty skirts but can't f@%k worth a lick."

--Lady (hi Joann) and Gentlemen, I think we have a very strong candidate for the line of the year for 2009.

One benign explanation for an auctioneer having ability to get higher grades is that some of them employ ex-TPG graders who presumably know how the particular TPG trains its graders and therefore presumably know what characteristics to look for in cards to resubmit. Especially in this era of bumps at PSA, that is a perfectly legitimate claim for an auctioneer to make.

It is also 100% correct that none of the TPGs are 100% correct. And the mistakes go in various directions, not just one or the other. PSA has made some high profile blunders, like grading a fake Ruth rookie. SGC did too; ask Keith Olbermann about his fake Joe Doyle. They also routinely make less expensive and interesting mistakes, usually in undergrading a given card. I purchased two GAI 6 1954 Bowman cards that were unbelievably nice any way I looked at them,, cracked them out, marveled over the quality of the cards, and resubmitted to SGC. They are now rightfully in SGC 88 holders. I bought a PSA 2 1954 Bowman, cracked it out and it is beautiful-at least a 6-just a FUBARed grade. Similarly, I've had cards rejected one month and accepted as high grade the next by both PSA and SGC. I've cracked other obviously misgraded cards and gotten big (2-3 grade) bumps. And I am small potatoes in terms of submittals to any service, so there's no preference there.

Marshall, grading isn't objective science, it is subjective. Leon's card is a good example. I see it and think vg-ex immediately. The paper loss on the back drops it to a 30 for me. A 10 is ridiculous and I think if Leon ran it by SGC again they'd either agree or explain why. I've done that and while I've not been happy with the result at times I've always been satisfied with the explanation.

I can't say much for PSA; at least not much good. Their positions on many things are about as self-serving as a gas station and as illogical as Dr. McCoy (Damnit, Jim!). I've been very critical of them here, roasted them in articles I've written for magazines, and blasted them on my web site for the intense stupidity of certain decisions they made (www.americasgreatboxingcards.com--look for the My Soapbox page). If there was favoritism and if anyone should be screwed on submittals it is me but I recently submitted a batch of cards to PSA for reconsideration. Two of twelve bumped up half a grade, and they were the most valuable cards of the group. The others had explanatory post-its attached and while I happen to think that their methodology is incorrect on certain issues, I understand the explanations.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 01-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Administrator

Boxingcardman....the only reason PSA is maybe giving you some fair grades now is because they are like NFL Ref's and now it is just a make up call. I think the point most folks are missing from the post is that these are cello pack pulled HELLLOOOO. In most old vintage cards there are slight bumps or dings in corners yet the corners remain sharp, also there could be slight color toning and ink runs which can make the difference between a card grading a 5 or a 7.

I am not talking about cards that are 5 or 7's, what we are talking about is razor sharp clean cello pack pulled cards with the most vibrant colors. The whole thing really is a joke and i know what happened and i'm over it. Sorry for the emotional outburst to all on the board and it is a shame these cards will not be offered to the set registry collectors who would love to own them. Here is my last thought on the subject and i am sure Leon is going to throw a 15 yard flag roughing the company call on me. F *** Y O U Pro Scam Alliance!

edited one word for language (leon)

Old 01-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Administrator

15 yard penalty, personal foul, roughing the grader... You know, if I were the ref, I'd just give you the game for that call...

Old 01-03-2009, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Al C.risafulli

The idea that just because cards are pulled directly from cello packs they should grade high is preposterous.

You can buy a pack of cards that were printed LAST WEEK and find 6s and 7s in the pack. Color and surface are not the only attributes of a card; corners, centering, toning, print registration, edges, all play a part. Pulling 50-year-old cards out of a cello pack is an unbelievable gamble; you're just as likely to get 4s as you are to get 7s, and you're almost guaranteed not to get 9s and 10s.

-Al

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dennis

anger management. why do business with the devil?

Old 01-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

I agree with Al. It is a huge gamble to open old packs (cello or wax). You can open a brand new pack of cards from this year or a couple of years ago and there is no guarantee that the centering is perfect and that the ink isn't smudged in some way. I would venture to guess that most of the cards would be nice but there are always things that may not allow for a higher grade.

I'd like to see a few scans of these cards, that would be the tell all. People could actually chime in with their opinions if we could see exactly what your talking about.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

I cannot get the scans on the site or i would post the cards. To address the last two posts please tell me something i do not already know. Of course when you look at cello packs not all the cards are gonna come out clean and more likely than not the cards may be compressed together from time and damage is done from pulling them from one another.

Why i opened the cards is very simple. One pack was detached from the board and the other 11 packs remained on the board. I posted the board and attached packs for sale in the non-sports section. A gentleman who i will not name sent me a e-mail and stated it could have been the oldest find of a non-sports card item and that he would offer five figures for the item, by the time i got the e-mail it was to late because i had spoken to a friend of mine who stated the Beauties in general are a tough card and near impossible to find in Mint condition and if i could get the first ever found 9's and 10's the premium would be grand. Check the pop report and you will see it is a tough series.

I noticed there was 6 cards in a pack and determined that the middle four cards were more than likely in mint to nr-mnt condition. I opened the detached pack and two of the middle cards were spot on- Perfect centering, razor corners, no jagged edges, and the ink looked like the day it came off the press. From that point i started to crack the packs, of course there were miscuts, off centered cards, corner dings and so forth in the 62 cards that i opened.

What also happened in the 62 cards i opened is that about 20 of the 48 middle cards in the packs were dead on. These are the cards i am upset about with how they got graded. I have never seen such clean cards when it comes to vintage. I could care less about the 24 cards that were on the top and bottom and of course i expected them to grade between 5 and 7.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Marshall,

Email the scans/pictures to me, I'll post them for you. Using the "insert object" option only allows you to post 128Kb images.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:54 PM
Administrator

Ok Fred...i am sending you the scans of some of the cards that a gentleman who i will not mention wanted to see because he was interested in a lesser grade set. Also there is a pic of the entire board with the cello packs attached that no one believe i had found except for one dealer who e-mailed me. Keep doubting what i say baseball card world because i am 1/9 at aquaduct to produce the goods. I think some of these cards are 9's and when my cards get back from Pro Scam Alliance i will post the rest of the pics. By the way Lay the 1 point because Arizona walks over the Falcons. Bring the noise and yes i love to @#$ing ROCK!

Old 01-03-2009, 01:27 PM
Administrator

The pictures were all > 128K so he wasn't able to upload them via the "insert object" link. I reduced the file size to accommodate the 128K limit.

EDITED TO ADD: I SURE WISH THERE WERE A FEW T206 CARDS IN THE LOT:

Here are some notes from Marshall:

"these are not the best cards that were in the group of 62"

"please post that these were not the finest examples"

"will provide the pics when i recieve the cards back from Pro Scam Alliance"

One noticeable difference between cards is that card 7 has more generous borders than the other cards. Do all of the cards measure exactly (within 1/64") the same?

Marshall, the pictures are numbered 1-7 below. Please feel free to comment on the pics!

1 -

[linked image]

2 -

[linked image]

3 -

[linked image]

4 -

[linked image]

5 -

[linked image]

6 -

[linked image]

7 -

[linked image]

Old 01-03-2009, 01:51 PM
Administrator

Please understand that these cards were the only cards allowed to be produced in the year of 1944 and the government allowed Gum Inc to produce them only because of the thought the Beauties would give moral to the country and the GI's abroad. The cards were crudely cut just as T-206 baseball cards and i cannot tell you how many PSA 8's that i have seen that are much more off center than some of these with very rough edges which these do not have. The cards measure correctly and the corners are razor sharp. My scanner is not the best so there is a slight glare to some of the corners and to the total appearance of the cards. I showed the cards to two major players before sending them in and they wish to remain silent but having said that both are in shock at the atrocity of grading providing by Pro Scam Alliance. They also are not sending cards into PSA right now because of the auction house scandals possibly being tied into grade bumping and favortism towards large volume submitters. Go Cardinals lay the point.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Fred...thanks so much for your help. Greatly appreciated.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David M

I bought the 3rd best set that Marshall sold over on the non-sport side. And even in the 3rd best, there are several cards that are at least 8's and could be bumped higher depending on the grader. Several of the cards I got were off center, or had some dings, but for the most part, all of these cards have razor sharp corners. If there weren't any 9's or 10's in what Marshall submitted in the two best sets, chances are they don't exist. These cards just don't exist in better condition.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

I did not want to use your name David because i do respect privacy on all matters. By the way i will be sending you the board and cello packs as promised on Tuesday when i get home. The cards do exist in 9's and 10's and i have seen the cards in holders and they are no better than my cards. Trust me my cards were undergraded on purpose either to protect the #1 set on the PSA registry or because i am not a well known dealer or auction house.

I joined Pro Scam Alliance this year and have never submitted cards via the mail route. Realize the company does not know me and has no idea the amount of cards i own outside of my initial conversation with ol Suedo Joe. It is probably the worst 179.00 i have ever spent outside of the horrible lap dance i recieved last night from one of my American Beauties that had a little to much to drink (-:

I knew i should have taken the cards to Mike Baker because he still is the best and most reliable grader in the game. I also was tempted to pay a visit to the folks at SGC but after this i'll just relax and forget about these grading companies because they have to much power and no consistent method or explanation for their actions.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

American Beauties are awesome cards and I'm sorry they didn't grade out as high as you had hoped they would.

That said, this whole episode is a shame. As I understand it, you tore up a pretty nice display piece in hopes that you could take advantage of PSA's pop reports and get some 10s that would have sold for a ton of money. When the cards didn't grade out the way you had hoped, you got on a public message board, bashed PSA and called them crooked. Yet if you had gotten 10s instead of whatever you got, you would have been perfectly happy to play PSA's game and take advantage of the registry folks who would pay a premium for 10s.

So basically, if the system had worked in your favor, everything would have been fine. Because it didn't, PSA is crooked.

As far as I can see, the only loser here is the beautiful display piece that got torn up over this.

-Al

Old 01-03-2009, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Well let's first start by saying that i gave Arizona as the bet of the day and they are bringing the noise. In regards to your comments Al you are misinformed or you did not get past high school.

If you look at my previous post i stated how i went about selling the Beauties but now i will clear this matter up and repost

I bought the board with the packs attached and the first thing i wanted to do was offer the package to a true collector. I posted on the main message board here and also in the non-sports section. There was no response on the board and not many people seemed concerned at all about the package.

I few days went by and during those days i contacted a person who understands cards very well and he operates a auction house and said that since there were no rookie cards or special cards in the set outside of "Thar she Blows" that what i should do is open one pack and that if the cards were clean then crack them open because it would give all the hobby set builders a chance to try and grab some of the finest graded examples for their collections.

I then opened the e-mail from a dealer whom i suspect you are getting your info from and he was the one with the offer but i had already opened the cards. He is wrong for not stating that i gave every oppurtunity for folks to buy the board with the packs attached. Also I have never said at any point in time that i am a collector.

Pro Scam Alliance would not be giving me anything because the cards are what they are. The cleanest examples ever found and all they had to do was be graded fairly. I only used Pro Scam because they have a set registry and most all old school collectors want the cards in their holders. I am not the type to look for handouts boss because if you check the website partner i'm chilling beside Donald being myself and i expect nothing ever be given to me.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Hey Marshall B3? Could you do us all a favor and not accuse Al, who is a long-time member and contributor here besides being obviously intelligent, of not graduating from high-school?

Between you with your non-baseball grading complaints and MacBoob with his non-baseball grading complaints, I'm starting to have trouble telling one off-topic, newbie whiner from another.

Joann

Old 01-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cy

I am quite tired of this tirade.

Marshall, let me give you the advice that I gave my brother when he wasn't happy with his doctor's recommendation. I told him, 'Either trust the doctor's advice and do what he says, or get a new doctor. There is no middle ground here."

Maybe you should do the same. If you don't trust PSA, go elsewhere, and strike this last group that was graded up on experience. However, if you do decide to send in more cards to PSA, then accept whatever comes out and don't whine if they don't come back exactly as you wanted.

It's as simple as that.

Cy

Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Steve

Well that was interesting.

Steve

Old 01-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Administrator

First of all I would like to say that SGC is still my grader of choice right now. It's my auction company's grader of choice too. That being said I feel they grade too hard sometimes (maybe sour grapes?). The card I was having an issue with, concerning their grading, has been sold ....and it was for the grade above the technical grade...in value, which is what it should have been imo......I agree with the masses that if you don't like how a grading company grades you shouldn't use them. To complain a whole lot and still use that grading company seems somewhat disingenuous....though I do understand the registry = money-thing.....

One other thing for Marshall- You said old school collectors prefer the PSA registry. In my experience old school collectors (25 yrs or more) aren't into the whole grading thing.....(unless selling, sometimes)......happy collecting

Old 01-03-2009, 08:00 PM
Administrator

When you meet a troll you just know it straight away.
This guy Marshall is a flat out idiot troll.

Thus far he has insulted a host of people who all have much greater knowledge of the hobby than he will ever attain. They are helpful and genuine people who don't deserve that kind of treatment.

My vote is to give him the long term boot.

Daniel

Ps. I have owned 44' American Beauties before, just one currently as a type, and the ones this shnook has shown us are only mediocre-nice for the issue. They are hardly such a condition sensitive issue as has been suggested.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator

I found the last couple of posts hilarious and here is my reply. My whole point in the post to begin with is that Pro Scam Alliance is plays favorites and that card grading as a whole needs to be cleaned up. In regards to the comment about the man's education it is just a jab so if you cannot stand the heat get off the board doll and head back to the minors. My response to Daniel is the guy probably listens to the Bee Gees and still has a comb in his back pocket, if i have no knowledge then how do i own these cards? Hmmmmm how can i buy collections without knowledge? Last but not least how did my cards blow out for 38 large at auction? The funny part is my best cards are just chillin in the vault and thank god i sent in the Beauties instead of some other cards but i am way to sharp a cat to get skinned by a bunch of kittens. Good day and remember to turn it up BRING THE NOISE.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Leon you are correct in your statement and what i should have said is that the whales in the game prefer PSA graded cards so they can compete in owning a registered card or registering it once they buy it. Case in point T-205 gold border Cy Young PSA 8.5-final auction price around 125,000. If the card were in any other holder it does not bring that price.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Administrator

Let me get this straight.

You come on the board, ostensibly for the first time ever, whining about your grades, quoting Public Enemy lyrics and calling people "bro." Then you start using nasty language, question my intelligence, call one of the most respected people here "doll," and suggest she "get off the board"?

Does that about sum it up?

You have zero credibility, friend. ZERO. You come from nowhere, complaining about your grades, don't even have the sense to make a decent-looking scan, and then start insulting people who disagree with you or question your approach?

Please. Contribute something here. Share some knowledge instead of spreading around your sour grapes. Give us some inkling as to why we would think you have ANY ability to grade cards - and bragging about their value doesn't count. I suspect you can't, but that's okay.

You bought a very cool, historically important piece. You got the idea that you could make a bunch of money by ripping the packs and taking advantage of the registry folks by selling them high-grade, low pop cards. Evidently the graders at PSA disagreed with your assessment of the cards, which wrecked your big money-making plan, so you came on the public message board and started a rambling, brainless, paragraph-free thread in hopes of accomplishing, well, nobody knows what.

Most of the people here do not choose PSA as their grader of choice. If you want to make some waves, go over to the PSA message boards and start a thread there. Or, better yet, put your money where your mouth is and send the cards to a different grading company. I recommend Global. As you have stated that Mike Baker is the best grader in the business, that's where you should send your cards so that they can realize their maximum value.

And the fact that Daniel listens to the Bee Gees and carries a comb in his back pocket does not impact his knowledge of the hobby.

-Al

Old 01-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Al or should i say Al Bundy. The reason i made the remark about your not getting past high school is simple, you made several silly remarks that made no sense and it was obvious you did not even bother to read earlier posts. Second the last time i checked you do not own the board and i will talk and act however i please because this is not Russia is it Danny? Most of you old birds on here are way to dramatic and highly sensitive. I just produced some of the finest T-206's ever found and sent them to auction, in one case the card is actually the highest ever found in a certain Southern League player. I'm not whining about grades at all, my complaint is the system in which the cards are graded and the inconsistent manipulative grades that are given out due to who submits the cards. I call all the gals doll just like Ruth called everyone kid so lighten up and take a viagra and perhaps you may actually enjoy life instead of acting like John MCcain Jr. I don't need any lessons when it comes to cards and whoever you got your info from in regards to what my intentions were with the package is wrong so stop playing God.

Also i have posted on this board several times before and ahhhhh come to think Harvard grad oh highly educated Yoda like being the last time i checked i posted the American Beauties months ago on the main board and also on the non-sports board. I have also bought several T-206 and vintage cards from the buy sell section.

Remember the Eagles are lock lay the 3 and BRING THE NOISE.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Anthony S.

unsubscribe.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Lessons in Diplomacy- $5ea or 3 for $10......

Old 01-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Administrator

I'm just playing around Al so don't things so personal. Man bro don't ever take up golf because the lads on tour would have you crying in seconds. If you look back at your original post their were several assumptions and negative statements along with subtle mental jabs hence my remarks.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mark Holt

Yawn

Old 01-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I'm enjoying this thread for it's EXTREMENESS TO THE MAXX!!!!!!!1

Old 01-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd Schultz

Al,this MB3 collector extraordinaire has posted here before-- he chimed in repeatedly about his 50 tintypes and the Billy Gilliam debacle of last August:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/153652/thread/1218508197/last-1218647088/Friendly+reminder+to+Leon+and+co

Yessir, Al, I'm amazed you don't remember the outstanding and informative posts from Mr. Livin Large himself. I guess you're too much the dolt if your life wasn't touched by the muses of this part Tiger Woods, part James Bond and part Lionel Carter, all rolled into one, and I'm sure I'm forgetting other real men of genius.

So just sit back and enjoy the ride, the Alpha Dog himself is gonna pull the sled. (To borrow one of his favorite expressions "RMFLAO".)

Old 01-04-2009, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

baseball card collecting as a whole is rather bland, i'm glad someone is thinking outside the box and bringing the EXTREME into the hobby. let's hope MB3 will make the same impact here as he's done in music and golf.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jdrum

BRING THE NOISE!