NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 10-04-2008, 05:12 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Jeff Lichtman

Barry, I have to agree with Dave on this one regarding the claim that 'justice was served' re the Nicole murder. I suspect the fact that everyone hates OJ so much (deservedly so) that we tend to believe that Nicole's murder was avenged here; it wasn't. While I don't shed a tear for OJ, the truth is that it is inconceivable that anyone else but OJ would have been taken to trial in Vegas for what went down especially considering how ridiculous the state's witnesses were.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: barrysloate

Dave- I can't read the minds of the jurors and explain why they convicted him. Maybe it was based purely on the facts, maybe it was retribution. I can't even tell you if it was biased or not. I don't know.

And while I understand the social implications of all the years that blacks have suffered in this country, I am also thinking about the Browns and Goldmans who both lost a child. That counts for a lot in my book.

Edited to add my statement was based solely on what the Browns and Goldmans have gone through. In no other way do I feel that the case should have been anything but fairly decided.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Ryan Christoff

Dave,

Do you believe Simpson killed his wife and Ron Goldman? He was found not guilty, but that is not the same as innocent. I'm curious how that factors into your statements.

I agree with you about much of what you say regarding minorities, but I believe O.J. is guilty of murdering two people. Therefore, in my opinion, justice will be served if he is "unjustly" sentenced in this case. I hope the system fails him just like it did for Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman and their respective families.

I respect the opinions of Jeff and others with legal expertise and am actually glad they disagree. Hopefully, all lawyers will disagree with me because they need to evaluate each case on its own merits. I, on the other hand, will have MORE faith in the judicial system if I see more cases where actual justice is served, as opposed to technical justice.

-Ryan

Old 10-04-2008, 05:25 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

I think the dates of the jury verdict of this Las Vegas case and the California murder trial have the verdicts being returned on October 4th of 1995, and on October 4th of 2008.

That is unfortunate, inasmuch as it smacks of makeup in 2008 for what didn't happen in 1995. Hopefully, whatever happened in Nevada today should be based on what was proven to have happened in Nevada, and have nothing to do with 13 years ago in California.

Old 10-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Mike

I don't recall ever hearing if OJ was offered a plea deal similar to the other co-defendants. Jeff, doesnt that make it look like he was a target if all other offered deal so they will turn on him? I agree with the statement that it seems justice might fail OJ like it failed the Browns and Goldmans. I have seen him around enjoying his celebrity status over the last 10 years here in Miami and when the pretty blonde girls want pictures with him, its not because he won the Heisman or set rushing records. He should have been a choir boy for the rest of his life and this never would have happened.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Mike, I suspect it was because OJ was deemed to be the ringleader that he was not offered a cooperation deal to testify against his purported underlings. If that was the case, I don't have a problem with it; however, if he wasn't offered a non-cooperation plea deal that is just unfair. And you're right about his conduct; after getting away with murder you'd think he would have been the most careful, law-abiding guy in the world. Unfortunately, the same bad part of him that led him to kill his wife surfaced again in Vegas. Pitiful.

One thing I find interesting is that oftentimes the very same liberal voices that cry out everytime George Bush pulls an extrajudicial move have no problem voicing their delight over the fact that OJ may have been convicted due to inadmissible, prejudicial matters, i.e., the murder tiral.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

Jeff you're right about the murder trial of 13 years ago having NOTHING to do with the Vegas trial. At least it should have been a non-factor. And I'd like to think that the attorneys and judge got a jury panel that would discount that, then be vigilant about keeping any reference to it out of the trial.

OJ hasn't gotten life yet. And I doubt if that will be the sentence. Still, you have to figure that after living through the California murder trial, OJ would have been avoiding anything that might land him back in court. It is a mess...

Old 10-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: boxingcardman

" Simpson's voice came through loud and clear: "Don't let nobody out of this room." "

Reality check: Who here thinks you have the right to bust into a stranger's hotel room and ransack it while you forcibly hold its occupants under your control, and not go to jail for it? What if it happened to you at teh National? Say you bought some cards from a walk-in and later that evening five guys with guns busted into your hotel room and held you while they ransacked it, on the basis that the cards were stolen? You'd be dialing 911 to report an armed robbery the instant they left. Let's also get real about what the heart of the controversy was over. It isn't like they were holding his kids or his wife (Ok, bad example) for ransom in that room; they had some stuff that might have been his. You don't use violence and threats of violence to get your stuff back from someone, only to prevent bodily harm or death to yourself or someone else. Nor did they take the law really into their own hands and make a citizens' arrest on these guys; they just went gangsta on them.

If someone comes to me and tells me that a couple of guys have my stolen stuff in a hotel room, I am on the phone to hotel security and the police, not rounding up a posse of thugs, storming the room, and having my thugs hold them at gunpoint while I ransack their room to retrieve it. If I decide to make that rotten judgment call and go vigilante, I deserve what I get.

Regardless of what you think happened in LA all those years ago, this man was recorded committing a violent assault on strangers in their hotel room.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 10-05-2008, 12:34 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Adam, agreed. All that being said, however, 5 years of prison time is a fair sentence in my mind for what he did (in Vegas). My problem with the handling of the case has more to do with the bizarre nature of the witnesses and evidence. How often do you see the main piece of evidence -- the purported tape of the incident -- sold to a tabloid TV program before it being given to the police? And how often do you have witnesses heard on tape claiming they'd be willing to change their testimony for money? I guess only in an OJ case....

Old 10-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

It's hard to feel sorry for OJ even if you think he got a bit of a raw deal during this trial.

martyOgelvie

Old 10-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Jury: O.J. not guilty
A jury in O.J. Simpson's Florida road rage trial found the football legend not guilty of battery and auto burglary in the Dec. 4, 2000, incident.

Just evidencing more bad conduct and decision making that landed him in his current predicament.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: GeorgeHC

Former football great O.J. Simpson was sentenced today to at least 15 years in prison for his role in a confrontation in a Las Vegas hotel in 2007. Simpson told the judge before the sentence was read that did not mean to hurt anyone and did not know he was doing anything illegal. "I didn't mean to steal anything from anybody."

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Alan U

He's eligible for parole in 6

Old 12-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Dave S

Jeff, I know you were more optimistic that the wheels of justice would actually work here, but...

Judge Jackie Glass proves my point while showing the world what a sorry excuse for a jurist she is... regardless of what her dopey nephew says.

Somebody should report her comments to her family about not wanting the case to the Nevada Bar.

Disgraceful.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

Does anyone think that the Cowboys or Raiders will give OJ a shot at resuming his NFL career when he gets out? That's of course presuming he can get by the commissioner's inevitable suspension.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: leon

Now this is a good example of when a thread can be brought back.

If this was a federal crime, or counted as a 2nd offense, I doubt seriously that OJ gets out in less than half his sentence. My guess is he will do close to 10yrs on it, with time served.

I think I would have a better chance of playing pro football than OJ by the time he gets out...

Old 12-05-2008, 11:29 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: JB

He will do 5 if his health holds up...............(which isnt near long enough for me)

Old 12-05-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Marty Ogelvie

After getting away with murder, OJ must have thought he was invinceable.

It's a shame really because I have many fond memories of the Juice when he played. My memory is pretty bad but if I recall correctly, OJ was the first athlete that I liked and cheered for who didn't play for my Team.

marty

Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Jim Thierfelder

Has anyone ever been thrown out of a pro sports HOF? He is a case for uninduction if ever there was one.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Anonymous

I watched the entire sentencing procedure yesterday. The comments by OJ's attorneys, was IMO pathetic. Had OJ found a bit less hubris early on and pled guilty, he wouldn't have been slammed as he was. It became very obvious that the judge had her mind made up regardless of OJ's almost tearful begging for forgiveness. Ever the arrogant, bullet-proof thinking psycho, OJ thought he could get away with just about anything on this planet. He'll now have at least 9 years to think about his recent actions and undoubtedly will ponder the events on Bundy with his ex-wife and Ron Goldman.

I will never, never forget watching the jury verdict with about 30 co-workers from the murder trial. To a man/woman, all the blacks cheered, all the whites were in disbelieve. NO jury on this planet could have reviewed the abundance of evidence in such a short period of time as that jury did. That jury was merely trying to send a message to the "white" community and allowed a murderer to go free and mock the system. If you care to see more about OJ, I would suggest you watch the Geraldo Rivera presentation I think tonight on FoxNews as OJ gleefully drives Geraldo past Gil Garcetti's home in LA and hollers bleeped out seconds long obsenities at his house. OJ then laughingly tells Geraldo, I did this for about 2 years.

OJ is where he belongs, hopefully he never sees freedom again! What is mind-boggling is the fame, fortune, and beautiful family he let slip through his hands...not to mention the ton of good things this man could have done to help God knows how many inner city kids and those less fortunate to reach for the stars. Truly an incredible waste.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Frank L.

Mr. Christoff

I often feel this way also. In the fairness of our system, some get off on techinicalities. However, if one did actually do the crime, you should pay. If you dont, you will never change, and you will likely do it again or similar

Not only that, in the end, YOU WILL PAY. By paying for your crime now, you may live in the long run.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Bob

According to the articles I have read today, OJ will not be eligible for parole until he serves 9 years (not 5 or 6) and it appears that he may not make parole the first go round, so I look for him to serve 10 years.
The judge can say all she wants about the murder trial not affecting her decision but that is a joke. She is human and like all of us, I believe it did play a part in sentencing.
I did feel some sympathy for OJ, watching him on tv, but in the words of Baretta, "Don't do the crime if you can't do the time." They guy was a ticking time bomb and it was just a matter of time before he went off...

Old 12-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: boxingcardman

Kenneth, that was funny stuff.

He got a proper sentence. Even at the end he could not admit he was wrong. Doing a "yes, but" with a judge is not the way to curry favor, regardless of context. "I am so sorry, I made a terrible decision, I hope you can find it in your heart to show me some mercy here" is about all a judge wants to hear. Ever.

As far as the L.A. case, my colleagues and I all called the not guilty the moment we heard the case was to be tried downtown instead of in Santa Monica. Different (at the time) jury pools; the case was over the moment it became South-Central and East LA's to decide. The result was total payback for the Rodney King verdicts. Unless you lived here, you just have no idea how racially polarized the whole city was at that point. Plus, watching Ito's feckless handling of the courtroom...my favorite was when he sanctioned Cochran $950. The law at the time provided that you did not have to report a sanction to the Bar if it was under $1,000; $950 was a popcorn fart to the $2 million defense--nothing but air.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Old 12-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

OJ GOT WHAT WAS COMING TO HIM AND COULD HAVE AVOIDED IT IF HE DIDNT FEEL HE WAS G-DS GIFT TO THE EARTH AND WAS MADE OF TEFLON. HE WILL ADAPT TO PRISON WELL AS HE IS ONE OF THE MOST CHARISMATIC FIGURES AND WILL BE LOVED BY THE FELLOW INMATES. HIS NARCISSISTIC PERSONALITY WILL HELP HIM THROUGH THE NEXT DECADE AND HE WILL GET A TON OF LETTERS FROM BEAUTIFUL BLONDES

Old 12-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Considering that he was facing a 5 year minimum and ended up with 9, OJ didn't do too badly. I had set an under/over of 10 years.

In retrospect, I'm not certain whether or not he received a fair trial or sentence; however, I still maintain that had he been anyone but OJ he wouldn't have faced such serious charges for his conduct. In the end, it's very hard to defend yourself when the whole world wants you to fry (case in point: Plaxico Burress. NYC Mayor Bloomberg publicly demanded that he receive 3 1/2 years in prison yet stood silent when former NY Governor Eliot Spitzer received a pass for his criminal behavior).

Old 12-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Plaxico was just a repeat offender who like OJ couldnt walk a straight line. Jeff, I am not sure if you will agree with this analogy but when my 8 year old breaks something her first reaction is it was an accident and I always say to her if you weren't jumping on the sofa, you wouldnt have "accidently" knocked over the vase.

Mike

Old 12-06-2008, 12:30 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Kenneth A. Cohen

I was talking to a retired DC cop friend who believes that the same situation in
DC would have resulted in a one-year suspended sentence. That may or may not be
the case - I've no idea. OJ's saga seems to defy the axiom that "two wrongs don't
make a right." It appears in OJ's case that two injustices resulted in justice.
Maybe this is the exception that proves the rule.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Bill Stone

OJ freshly squeezed---Mike- I don't think OJ will be "loved " by his fellow inmates in the way you think. In fact, he will be in a Nevada state prison and I suspect he will be under constant threat and therefore he will spend a great deal of time alone and considering his free lifestyle beforehand I think prison life will be very hard on him. Prison justice doesn't require a jury.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: dennis

there is already 'talk' that once imprisoned fox will air a reality show staring OJ. it will be called "the simpsons, d'oh J "

Old 12-06-2008, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Steve F

Good for the Goldman family... Being out of the limelight's gotta be a fate worse than death for this media darling.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:15 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

It sounds like most of the people here are glad OJ is going to prison because he is a black celebrity and is perceived to be guilty of having gotten away with murder of a couple white people.

One has to wonder if you all held similar outrage for Byron De La Beckwith getting away with the murder of Medgar Evers for over 30 years. Did you cheer when he was finally convicted in 1994 after a third trial and having boasted about the committing the murder at a KKK rally?

Some things will never change in this country.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Jodi Birkholm

That's shooting a little low. I will tell you this: any proper-thinking white person is likely ashamed of the Evers incident, with good reason. The majority of our race would not have cheered if De La Beckwith had been found innocent. That's truly a terrible and unfair comparison. For many, this is a celebrity-driven case, not a race-driven one.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Ken McMillan

We neuter aggressive dogs in order to calm them down, How about neutering OJ?

Old 12-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Bill Stone

OUCH ! That's hitting below the belt -------so to speak.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

Dave,
You are right...you figured out the dirty little secret of this board - aside from containing the occasional vintage baseball card discussion it is also a hotbed of racial hatred. I'm surprised that it took you so long to figure out that other than hunting down obscure caramel card back variations, my second favorite hobby is oppressing minorities.

Your above post is purely inflammatory and a steaming pile of crap.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Richard Dwyer

I heard O.J. will play tight end in prison. happy.gif

Old 12-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Hey Greg,

Talk about a steaming pile of crap... all of the above posts tell the story. A small minority of people cared more about the integrity of our legal system than hoping that OJ goes to jail for the murder charges. As an underscore, there is a headline on Yahoo right now stating, "Goldman family: Simpson prison time is karma for a 'monster'"

Once again, the original question posed was can OJ get a fair trial from an all-white jury? The question has been answered and to top it off most people wanted to see him burn for being found not-guilty at his murder trial in Los Angeles. That sentiment was strongly echoed here. Shovel that Greg.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:25 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Dave,
If you're going to fly the "racial discrimination" banner at least find a place where it is justified. There are enough legitimate cases of discrimination out there that for you to waste your energies defending a murderer who had the world on a silver platter and then threw it all away is simply foolish.

You seem obsessed to a ridiculous degree with racial injustices of the past, which would lead you to retard justice in the present by presenting "Get Out of Jail Free" cards and turning every jury into a racial headcount. History does not have a rewind button or a TiVO...nobody can undo lynchings, police beatings, or unfair trials of the past that made a mockery of the word justice. Rather than worrying about what we cannot change we need to worry about what we can, and that means striving to give everyone a fair trial regardless of color and appropriately punishing the guilty.

We are, of course, not all the way to equality yet, and every day there are examples of injustice in our courtrooms whether because of color or lack of means. This is a worthy cause to champion, but by making such an obvious cold blooded killer a poster boy for your cause you do it more harm than good.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Ricky Y

This would never have happened if he just let lawyers handle the memorabilia mess from beginning. Even though he was found innocent in the court of law, with his notorierty, I would have kept as far as from any trouble as possible. I guess he thought he must have been invinsible.

Ricky Y

Old 12-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Steve F

"Dave S spewed, It sounds like most of the people here are glad OJ is going to prison because he is a black celebrity and is perceived to be guilty of having gotten away with murder of a couple white people.

One has to wonder if [YOU ALL] all held similar outrage for Byron De La Beckwith getting away with the murder of Medgar Evers for over 30 years. Did you cheer when he was finally convicted in 1994 after a third trial and having boasted about the committing the murder at a KKK rally?
Some things will never change in this country."

Okay, I fell for your trolling; I know you typed 'most' but even that was a poor choice... To label a community, of whom you know nothing about, as racist. Your last statement, IS the epitome of hipocracy. You sir, are without question, the real dinosaur here. Either you've been living under a rock or still wet behind the ears.

Realizing race is still a barrier for some, it's a work in progress... I see more and more white folks sickened by prejudice and speak out against it, when just a few decades ago, "we" just turned a blind eye in fear of being shunned. I suggest you compare recent history with today and perhaps you won't continue to make the mistake of stereotyping the two!

Incidentally, I'm CERTAIN everyone here is repulsed by that monster Beckwith. I'll also add, I understand your passion, but your tone is accusatory and confrontational. When trying to make a point, try a little tact. Those of us that frequent this board know the score and DO give a damn. Stick around, you'll see for yourself. If I appear PO'd, then good. -Steve F

[linked image]

Old 12-10-2008, 06:59 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

My sincere apologies to all of good people here who take up the cause for truth, justice, and the American way and baseball cards. Especially the BB cards part.

The YOU ALL I was referring to are the people who posted things like:

Anonymous
(Login EricPugh) Re: O.J. on ice September 13 2008, 1:51 PM

i hope he serves many many years in prison. where are all the attornies on this board? would love to hear their opinions on the murderer's outlook now.

Ken McMillan
(Login kmac32) Re: O.J. on ice October 4 2008, 1:30 PM

he deserves life in prison.

If OJ can't get a fair trial in this country, than who can? Ask someone like Jeff Lichtman what it's like for people of color and minorities who are not celebrities who go through the system -- innocent or guilty.

Greg, thank-you for making my point that you are convinced he is a murderer and should not be used as an example of racism in the this country. The guy was found not guilty and you still call him a murderer. Racism is racism regardless of what the person may or may not have done.

Steve, I think you are the naive one who thinks America has made so much progress... regrettably, most of this country is still stuck in the stone-age. I think people have just gotten better about being politcally correct in public and not being a brazen as they used to be.

For one last underscore, please contemplate Judge Jackie's decision to let the guy who pointed a loaded gun at Bruce Fromong walk out of her courtroom with probation along with the others who testified against OJ... She claims the L.A. case had nothing to do with her treatment of OJ. Really?! Than why the huge disparagement in how the defendants were treated?

-------

Luckiest guys in Vegas: Simpson's 4 accomplices

Linda Deutsch, AP Special Correspondent Wed Dec 10, 5:41 am ET AP

O.J. Simpson LAS VEGAS The luckiest guys in Las Vegas this week were four O.J. Simpson accomplices who walked out of court with probation while the former football star sits in prison for his role in an armed confrontation over memorabilia from his past exploits.

Sentencing of the man who wielded a gun during the robbery sparked a courtroom outburst Tuesday from one victim of the hotel room heist who said Michael McClinton should have been sent to prison.

"I'm just very disappointed," said Bruce Fromong, one of the two sports memorabilia dealers robbed by Simpson and the other men. "I agreed completely with probation for the two guys who were just there backing up O.J. But McClinton stood a couple of feet from me with a gun in my face and said, `I'll shoot your (expletive).'"

"Use a gun, go to jail. That's my theory," Fromong said.

The collectibles dealer was ejected from the courthouse during sentencing of four of the men who joined Simpson on Sept. 13, 2007, at a casino hotel room where he confronted Fromong and Alfred Beardsley, who were peddling mementoes of Simpson's career.

"You've got to be kidding me!" Fromong exclaimed after Clark County District Judge Jackie Glass sentenced McClinton to eight years' probation. She suspended a prison term of two to seven years.

The judge told McClinton: "You were the one that had a gun. You were the one that brandished a weapon." But Glass said she considered McClinton's cooperation in testifying and the fact that he had no criminal record in granting him probation.

She handed probation terms of six years to Charles Ehrlich, four years to Walter Alexander and three years to Charles Cashmore.

All three spoke of being lured into the plan by Simpson, who asked for help in retrieving his personal items.

"On that day, everybody was a snake. O.J. Simpson was the snake charmer," said Robert Dennis Rentzer, Alexander's attorney. "The man has charisma. There is something about him that captures individuals and draws them into his circle."

The sentencing was not the end of the seamy saga.

The judge scheduled a Dec. 19 hearing to discuss restitution for articles taken from the hotel room. Fromong has claimed he lost about $150,000 worth of memorabilia, while others have called that figure inflated. Simpson has said the items in the room were stolen from him.

Glass acknowledged the issue is complicated and will require testimony.

Simpson, whose presence dominated the hearing, was 45 miles away in prison, but his lawyer, Gabriel Grasso, attended the sentencing and said his client "has no hard feelings" against the former co-defendants who took deals and testified against him and Clarence "C.J." Stewart.

"You recall the jurors said they disregarded what these guys said on the stand," Grasso said. Jurors said they instead relied on secret recordings of the events and hotel surveillance video.

Attorney Brent Bryson, who represents Stewart, said: "I think he'll be happy for those defendants that they didn't get time. I'm sure he wishes he had been able to negotiate a satisfactory deal for himself early on."

Stewart was the only co-defendant to stand trial with Simpson. He received 7 1/2 to 27 years in prison. Simpson was sentenced to a minimum of nine years and maximum of 33 years.

Simpson's lawyers have said they will launch a vigorous appeal on his behalf and expect to file their notice before Christmas.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

It's all about convictions, nothing more. There is no moral compunction about giving away the courthouse to a killer as long as prosecutors get a conviction. I can't tell you how many trials I've been on in which the cooperating witnesses have committed murder and are out free, roaming among the public -- and testifying against defendants not charged with as severe crimes.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: J Levine

I said I was going to stay away from this since I was flamed on my email for nonsense but I need to get a few things off my chest.

First off many people come on here and express their opinions about many things. I have zero problem with that as long as it is thought out and intelligent and not an attack.

Dave...just because someone is found innocent in a court of law does not make that person automatically innocent. The people who still call OJ a murderer are entitled to believe that he is a murderer. It is their belief. True or not. That is their belief. For you to tell them that they are racist because of this is flat wrong. On the flip side, many people believe OJ is innocent. The only person who knows for sure is OJ.

OJ was tried by a jury of his peers. Do you really believe that his peers are poor black men from the South? That is what you imply when you talk about the injustice of Evers.

Dave, I do not know you at all but I hope you are doing more than just whining on a baseball chat board. I belong to several organizations including the Southern Poverty Law Center (a civil rights organization that champions civil rights, equal rights, tolerance, and diversity). I am the Diversity Chairperson in my district and I fight very hard for the rights of minorities in my district (we are a district that is now 90% white, affluent, christian), special education students, and others. I give money to every year to the SPLC, the Weisenthal Center, and others. Dave, I am curious when you call me and others a racist how much you are doing to change the world around you. I know Jeff, Adam, and others here who you have called out as racist by lumping all of us together do far more for the American ideal of equality for all than I do.

Are you someone who stands by the side of the road watching a black man being lynched and screams "look, that is racist!" or are you the person who actively stops or prevents these events?

Joshua

Old 12-10-2008, 11:08 AM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: D. C. Markel

[linked image]

Old 12-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Dave,
What does thinking OJ is guilty of murder have to do with his race? Is your mind so warped that you can't see anything without looking through the prism of race? I don't know you whatsoever and could be wrong but to me you sound like someone who has been educated beyond their intelligence.

Now Dave...you certainly don't know me either, so let me fill you in a little bit. I was recently engaged - it didn't work out but the woman I was engaged to had a young daughter, and this is her:

[linked image]

Must be tough for me to explain at those Klan meetings you seem to think I attend huh?

On the contrary, I would have been proud to call that little girl my daughter and I'm as white as snow - she remains to this day one of the greatest things to ever happen to me. I can guarantee you that had anyone in public ever called her anything but beautiful while she was with me they would not have liked the result.

So Dave...continue on if you must, tilting at your windmills and policing baseball card chat boards for perceived racial slights - just know that nobody is buying your Chicken Little BS because the sky isn't falling here.

Might I suggest a few bird watching or jogging message boards where you can dispense some racial justice?

Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Default O.J. on ice

Posted By: Eric Pugh

Enjoy your decade or so in prison. Hope you get a chance to reflect on Ronald Goldman and your ex Nicole.

one less sociopath walking our streets.