NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Closed Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Barry Sloate

In the meantime has Marshall even posted today?
Old 09-01-2009, 12:00 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

On second thought, I'd really rather not get involved.

Last edited by slantycouch; 09-01-2009 at 12:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Peter Spaeth

Jeff, the fact that you and others cringe in disgust when seeing the N word in JoAnn's post is precisely her point. Barfman's drivel was equally offensive to a woman, but most males are culturally conditioned to that sort of talk so that our threshold is much higher.

I am guessing that after an appropriate interval JoAnn will edit it out....
Old 09-01-2009, 12:14 PM
Jim VB

Joann did not call anyone, of any color or ethnicity, any name! She merely typed the words. She said she had been as insulted as if someone had used those other examples. And some have been deeply offended by this. Understood.

Now, imagine that someone had typed those words and actually directed them at you.

That's what Marshall did, to her.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Peter, good thing I've got Joann to tell me how to feel. I don't know how I survived this long without her life lessons.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:15 PM
Barry Sloate

Look, I also was surprised by Joann's vitriolic response, and my first reaction was she crossed a line. But I also know how deeply hurt she was by Marshall's comments to her, and I think all the fun she had posting on this board went south after he humiliated her like that. It takes a lot of anger to say what she said and I know it came from deep in her gut. And frankly, there are more than a few people here who are pretty angry at Marshall.

And if I had to guess his response, he will say he doesn't care what we think and we're all just a boring group of people. We're not cool enough to understand his rapier wit. Frankly, I think he should again leave the board and this time for good.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:16 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
In the meantime has Marshall even posted today?
Too early. Tha's not how he rolls. He'll catch up in the afternoon and be rarin' to fight around midnight.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
Peter, good thing I've got Joann to tell me how to feel. I don't know how I survived this long without her life lessons.
That makes two of us wondering the same thing.
Old 09-01-2009, 12:23 PM

I was going to go back and read this thread so I can figure out what's going on but something tells me it would be a waste of time. So if someone could tell me who received demerits and who did not, I'll just move along to the next thread. That's all I really need to know.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:05 PM

Don't bother, Cat. Here is a summary:

- Marshall Barkman made sexual comments a few months ago that Joanne found offensive.

- Joanne used racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks, not directed at a particular person, but rather to illustrate her point about how offensive Marshalls comments were.

- Other forum members found Joanne's use of racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks offensive.

- Joanne is considering deleting the racial slur and anti-semitic remarks, but for now she will leave them up.

- None of us know what it feels like to be a woman, Jewish or African-American

- Marshall Barkman has not posted today.

- Leon has not handed out any demerits.

That's what stood out to me and what I remember. Anyone else can feel free to fill in the blanks.

Last edited by Wesley; 09-01-2009 at 01:08 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2009, 01:13 PM
Al

The "N" in my avatar stands for "Newark."

-Al
Old 09-01-2009, 01:16 PM

And N is for Newark.

Happy Birthday, Al!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley View Post
Leon has not handed out any demerits.
Damn!
Old 09-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Chris / prewarprints.com

Marshall why is your website no longer up?
Old 09-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al C.risafulli View Post
The "N" in my avatar stands for "Newark."

-Al
Some might find that more offensive than the other N word.
Old 09-01-2009, 01:46 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by slantycouch View Post
Marshall why is your website no longer up?
What???? No more MB3rocks.com??????
Old 09-01-2009, 02:15 PM
Josh Adams

Quote:
- None of us know what it feels like to be a woman, Jewish or African-American

The Candy-Man can, (well, 2 out of 3). L'Shana Tova everybody!

[IMG]Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

QuickPost Quickpost this image to Myspace, Digg, Facebook, and others![/IMG]

Last edited by vintagewhitesox; 09-01-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: New Years Wishes
Old 09-01-2009, 02:38 PM

Quote:
- Joanne used racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks, not directed at a particular person, but rather to illustrate her point about how offensive Marshalls comments were.

- Other forum members found Joanne's use of racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks offensive.

For the record, Blazing Saddles is one of my favorite movies. I'll wait for the ruling to see if this is a demeritable offense.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:19 PM
qu@n nguy3n

from all his OT posts marshall know as much about vintage cards as he does rock music or golf...i vote for joann to stay and "reginald" to go

i also found some anagrams that marshall can use to re-register:

A Lamb Shrank Marl
Alarms Blank Harm
Marksman Bra Hall
Bash Nark Mall Arm
Balk Rash Marl Man

...lmk if you need more reginald...oh wait i have you on ignored
Old 09-01-2009, 05:14 PM

Joanne made an analogy to help illustrate, to those who did not get it, how offensive Marshall's comments were. Seems like it worked.

If you find her analogy offensive and yet did not publicly come to her defense in the past when Marshall made his slurs, then perhaps that analogy was called for.

Sometimes the truth hurts for a while.
JimB
Old 09-01-2009, 05:17 PM

If we don't fight bigotry and oppression when it affects others, what ground do we stand on to ask for help when the bigotry and oppression is directed our way? Those in power (in the oppressing group) have all the more responsibility to stand up against it.
JimB
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Who doesn't want to wear the ribbon?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtUv97YFco
Old 09-01-2009, 05:27 PM
Joe

Boy I really don't want to chime in on this thread, but like Ron White, I have the right to remain silent, I just don't have the ability.

Two words in the English language that I hate with a passion.

The C word describing a female and N word. Neither belong no matter what point is being made. No exeptions allowed.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:40 PM
Banned

Please join hands
Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Rob, thanks for that. It's all clear to me now, I feel much better. I just needed to be led to the truth. Good thing we've got good (note: not 'great') people like you on the board to lead us in song, as we all hold hands in peace and harmony.
Old 09-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

Please pass the graham crackers, Jeff, I'm ready for another s'more.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Joshua
J0shua Le.vine

Just for the record....

I hate the word "tousled" and support Joann.

Joshua
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93 View Post
If we don't fight bigotry and oppression when it affects others, what ground do we stand on to ask for help when the bigotry and oppression is directed our way? Those in power (in the oppressing group) have all the more responsibility to stand up against it.
JimB

"Those in power"? Do you mean Leon?
Old 09-01-2009, 07:05 PM

Quote:
"Those in power"? Do you mean Leon?
No, I meant anybody in the priveledged group when there is a power differential. When the bigotry is against blacks in America, whites are generally the priveledged/powerful/majority group. When the bigotry is aimed against women (especially when there are 2,999 male members of a group and one female member), it is all men in the group that I believe have a responsibility to stand up against bigotry for justice.
JimB
Old 09-01-2009, 07:23 PM

Jim,

I'll be honest; I don't remember the exact words Marshall Barkman directed at Joanne. Do you have a link to Marshall's comments to Joanne?

So the only information in that regard is what Joanne posted today, and as soon as I read Joanne's account, I mentioned it was offensive. I believe each and every poster that commented also said it was offensive. I also recall reading then as well as today a number of people calling for Leon to ban Marshall. That said, Joanne's racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks were also despicable, no matter what they were used for. How can anyone dispute this?

Wes

Last edited by Wesley; 09-01-2009 at 07:28 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-01-2009, 07:44 PM

if i understand what jim is saying, i agree.

when marshall made this remark to joann, more should have stood up for her.

agreed. totally.....as we would stand up for any injustice.

however, in this specific case, i think many members considered the source of joann's attack and let it go....to a point. i think joann's demeanor may have contributed to that. by demeanor, i mean that in a positive way.....what i said earlier..."the voice of reason".

that said, should we have pounced on marshall more. yes, and if i didn't then jim is right....shame on me.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybecker View Post
if i understand what jim is saying, i agree.

when marshall made this remark to joann, more should have stood up for her.

agreed. totally.....as we would stand up for any injustice.

however, in this specific case, i think many members considered the source of joann's attack and let it go....to a point. i think joann's demeanor may have contributed to that. by demeanor, i mean that in a positive way.....what i said earlier..."the voice of reason".

that said, should we have pounced on marshall more. yes, and if i didn't then jim is right....shame on me.
We did stand up for Joann. Most voiced the opinion that it was offensive and this board was not the place for it. Sorry, but two wrongs never make a right. Every new immigrant group that came to this country was oppressed in one way or another, (some much worse than others). I don't see the relationship to using offensive terms and standing up for an oppressed people rights? The voice of reason is to not use those terms ever. That's the true voice of reason. BTW, I'm Irish and Italian and have heard or been called every name related to those nationalities and still would not like to see them spewed on this board.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Peter Spaeth

Here is a nice example of "noize" from the past, some good baseball card talk.

"Well let's see i fu*&^cked countless models,raised hell whereever i went, and basically tore up South Beach for 4 years. I signed a independent record deal which allowed to me live in a 2.5 million dollar penthouse and have maids walk around naked while a puffed away on the finest of .....while playing a wonderful Fender strat at insane decibels"
Old 09-01-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dueces View Post
We did stand up for Joann. Most voiced the opinion that it was offensive and this board was not the place for it. Sorry, but two wrongs never make a right. Every new immigrant group that came to this country was oppressed in one way or another, (some much worse than others). I don't see the relationship to using offensive terms and standing up for an oppressed people rights? The voice of reason is to not use those terms ever. That's the true voice of reason. BTW, I'm Irish and Italian and have heard or been called every name related to those nationalities and still would not like to see them spewed on this board.
joe,
if you read back a few pages, you paraphrased what i said. i'm with you.

i'm just trying to explain my perception of jim's point.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

"Well let's see i fu*&^cked countless models,raised hell whereever i went, and basically tore up South Beach for 4 years. I signed a independent record deal which allowed to me live in a 2.5 million dollar penthouse and have maids walk around naked while a puffed away on the finest of .....while playing a wonderful Fender strat at insane decibels"
the guy's an idiot. i don't think anyone disputes that. why he isn't banned is beyond me.

doesn't make what joann said right by any means (where is that dead horse smiley when i need it!)
Old 09-01-2009, 08:05 PM
Johnny S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post

Not sure what that has to do with baseball cards but sounds like a fun !
Old 09-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Tyler Cox

If getting me to stay up past my bedtime is what Marshall wanted, then kudos to him.

Yawn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If Marshall doesn't bite back then I'm going to bed. Good luck ya'll.

For the record...

Josh and Wesley win for best posts of this thread.
Leon is right in letting it run its course.
Joanne rocks for letting it all out...point made...and taken.

Now I am guilty of the one thing that I wish everyone else had done...

DONT POST ANY REPLIES TO MB3'S ATTENTION GRABBING POST AND IT WILL GO AWAY!

But, I am guilty just the same because I read it...and have to admit...I enjoyed every bit.

Please keep it down...I'm trying to go to sleep...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 09-01-2009, 08:38 PM
Tim Newcomb

Default hold on a sec

Quote:
Jim,

I'll be honest; I don't remember the exact words Marshall Barkman directed at Joanne. Do you have a link to Marshall's comments to Joanne?

So the only information in that regard is what Joanne posted today, and as soon as I read Joanne's account, I mentioned it was offensive. I believe each and every poster that commented also said it was offensive. I also recall reading then as well as today a number of people calling for Leon to ban Marshall. That said, Joanne's racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks were also despicable, no matter what they were used for. How can anyone dispute this?

Wes
People, THINK about the two speech-acts for a minute. Joann did NOT make "racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks." She used the offensive terms as illustrations to try to get across how she felt when that jerkweed Marshall unleashed a barrage of misogynistic remarks aimed at her personally. People need to grasp the vast difference between these two types of usage. To equate them, I'm sorry to have to say, is just lamebrained.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
David

Barak Obama wants to take my hard earned money and give it to someone else who he deems more worthy.

We are all being discriminated against for being who we are.

There should be no off topic threads allowed on this board any longer. A larger group should be created to police and ban anyone who starts any kind of tomfoolery that is not a positive contribution.

I hope that Joann doesn't leave because of the insensitivity of the male populous here.
Old 09-01-2009, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post
People, THINK about the two speech-acts for a minute. Joann did NOT make "racial slurs and anti-semitic remarks." She used the offensive terms as illustrations to try to get across how she felt when that jerkweed Marshall unleashed a barrage of misogynistic remarks aimed at her personally. People need to grasp the vast difference between these two types of usage. To equate them, I'm sorry to have to say, is just lamebrained.
this is a quote from joann's post:
"Or harping on the Jews about their big noses and being greedy (but tink-tink, Cheers!, let's have a toast, right Alan?) "

her words, not mine. and they don't illustrate anything. it's nowhere near the context that she used the n word, which was deplorable.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:00 PM
Joann

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
and I think all the fun she had posting on this board went south after he humiliated her like that.

I read this today while I was at work and started crying. Literally. I had to shut my office door. And believe me, that is not something that happens often - it takes a lot to get me there. But Barry got it right square - this is exactly what it felt like. His entire post was dead on.

I am going to edit my last post now. Why? To distinguish myself from Marshall. I think it should be clear that I intentionally used inflammatory words to make a point to him, not because I meant them literally (and I very much appreciate the posts plus emails and PM's I received from those of you that got that). But since many were offended, whether I meant it or not, I'm going to edit it. Not bitch about how lame you all are for not getting my drift, not go on about how awesome and courageous I am to be me being me, but change it. Because the last damn thing I want in this world is to be even remotely like Marshall.

We'll see what happens when he posts again. I'm guessing I already know.

And thanks to you guys that did stand up, and Barry for putting great simple words to it.

And on another note - HAPPY 40TH BIRTHDAY TO AL C!! Sorry Al, but I only have an hour left in this day and it was not going to get by me without birthday wishes for your 40th. :-) My Facebook is all messed up and won't let me post comments anywhere, so here it is! Be sure to have a few good beers - even Stroh's works ok - and consider 40 years well lived! :-)

And T - yes, I completely understand why you would so clearly remember the whole bar exam drill after 20+ years. The whole process - both the prep and the exam - is a unique experience. Yeesh. I don't think I will ever forget it.

J
Old 09-01-2009, 09:05 PM
Jim VB

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybecker View Post
this is a quote from joann's post:
"Or harping on the Jews about their big noses and being greedy (but tink-tink, Cheers!, let's have a toast, right Alan?) "

her words, not mine. and they don't illustrate anything. it's nowhere near the context that she used the n word, which was deplorable.
If you're going to go to the trouble of quoting Joann, you should at the very least, capture her entire thought, not just an excerpt.

She started that paragraph by saying: "Throwing the sexual stuff at me is no different than... " She then added the illustrations using Black and Jewish references.

SHE WAS CLEARLY MAKING A COMPARISON! She was showing how hateful the comments he made to her were.

How does anyone NOT see that?

And the throw away line to Alan was because he had just finished telling us what a good guy Marshall was.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:09 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post
There should be no off topic threads allowed on this board any longer. A larger group should be created to police and ban anyone who starts any kind of tomfoolery that is not a positive contribution.
We've already got double-secret probation, what more do you want? A large civilian militia?

And Andy, you're right: Joann had a point to made but it was butchered so badly with her language as to make it more offensive than the slight to which she responded. Everyone got her point -- we didn't need the Rosetta Stone to figure it out. I just wish she could see that there was a more appropriate way to make the point without gratuitously offending so many people.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default and then....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviddbreadman View Post

and then we can have the largest group that can police the larger group, who will police the 4 moderators, who will police the members.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:25 PM
David

I will police that group.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Matt Wieder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
and then we can have the largest group that can police the larger group, who will police the 4 moderators, who will police the members.
At least no one has recommended we shoot anyone for posting OTs yet.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:07 PM
Banned

Default Lmfao....

Well let's see first let me say i have entered the ring and i'll be weighing in at 155 lbs this evening so here comes my post.
Old 09-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Rawn Hill

Damn I was 7 mins off from the blow up.

Rawn
Old 09-01-2009, 10:11 PM
Matt Wieder

Old 09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
Al

Default Past events that should have stayed in the past!

Well here we go Marshalls back Buckle up could be a bumpy ride for those with weak stomachs
Closed Thread