NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-07-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I don't think you can really say he failed. He was playing in the PCL until he was 27 years old. You might see PCL today and think minor leagues, but at the time it was the major leagues of the West. Players made almost the same amount of money and could play close to home, so many of them did just that.
Keep in mind it's the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Not the MLB Hall of Fame. I have no doubt he'd be a lot better known if there was the technology and social media we have now back in his day.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topps206 View Post
The other two numbers aren't bad, but that seems like spin to me. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't seem he was given a fair shake until later.
He played 117 games before he got to the Phillies. That is more than a fair shake. He didn't play well enough to stick in the majors and was sent down. A HOFer in his prime years should have been able to stick.

The PCL may have been better than a minor league. That doesn't change the fact that he wasn't able to make the jump to the majors until being sent down for 2 years and then landing in a favorable stadium that allowed him inflate his stats. This sounds to me like a good but not great player who has no business in the HOF.

7 full years just isn't enough for a guy who struggled to make the big leagues and was average away from the Baker Bowl.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:17 AM

Just curious if you were aware that Cravath was a right handed batter hitting his homeruns to right field? It takes tremendous ability to do that. Also, the original Yankee Stadium dimensions were 295 feet to right field and only 281 feet to left field. Do you discount Ruth and Gehrig's totals knowing that?
Old 09-07-2016, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think you can really say he failed. He was playing in the PCL until he was 27 years old. You might see PCL today and think minor leagues, but at the time it was the major leagues of the West. Players made almost the same amount of money and could play close to home, so many of them did just that.
Keep in mind it's the National Baseball Hall of Fame. Not the MLB Hall of Fame. I have no doubt he'd be a lot better known if there was the technology and social media we have now back in his day.
Old 09-07-2016, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats60 View Post
He played 117 games before he got to the Phillies. That is more than a fair shake. He didn't play well enough to stick in the majors and was sent down. A HOFer in his prime years should have been able to stick.

The PCL may have been better than a minor league. That doesn't change the fact that he wasn't able to make the jump to the majors until being sent down for 2 years and then landing in a favorable stadium that allowed him inflate his stats. This sounds to me like a good but not great player who has no business in the HOF.

7 full years just isn't enough for a guy who struggled to make the big leagues and was average away from the Baker Bowl.
He also had a 137 OPS+ with Boston in 94 games in 1908. He did struggle in 23 games in 1909 between two clubs, but does anyone make a Hall of Famer in their first 117 games? Of course not. So why is someone not a Hall of Famer in their first 117 games?

Very rarely do I support short career players. Cravath is a rare exception.
Old 09-07-2016, 12:24 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
How does this forum feel about Jimmy Sheckard and Cooperstown?
I believe Sheckard is worth talking about.

Cravath should be in
Dinneen probably should be as well for his all round

How about Fielder Jones????
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%
25/48 Southern Leaguers 52%
6/10 Billy Sullivan back run 60%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Excel spreadsheets only $5
T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-07-2016, 01:22 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Sorry if I missed them above, but I don't think anyone's mentioned Overall, Schulte, or Latham. Not that I really think they belong in the Hall (Overall isn't even eligible), but I think they were as good as most of the folks that have been mentioned in this thread.

Dahlen is the only one in T206 who deserves it as a player and hasn't been enshrined yet. Dinneen is a good pick for total contributions to the game.

The best pre-steroid era guys who haven't gotten in yet are Jim McCormick, Bob Caruthers, and Shoeless Joe.
Old 09-07-2016, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshchisox08 View Post

Cravath should be in

I wouldn't be bothered by Sheckard getting inducted, but I'm not a cheeeleader for him, either. Sherry Magee absolutely must get in before we can start even thinking about Sheckard.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darwinbulldog View Post
Sorry if I missed them above, but I don't think anyone's mentioned Overall, Schulte, or Latham. Not that I really think they belong in the Hall (Overall isn't even eligible), but I think they were as good as most of the folks that have been mentioned in this thread.

Dahlen is the only one in T206 who deserves it as a player and hasn't been enshrined yet. Dinneen is a good pick for total contributions to the game.

The best pre-steroid era guys who haven't gotten in yet are Jim McCormick, Bob Caruthers, and Shoeless Joe.
Overall didn't pitch long enough. Schulte had an amazing 1911, but it takes more than one Hall of Fame season to be a Hall of Fame player.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:01 PM
Glenn
Glen.n Sch.ey-d

Quote:
Overall didn't pitch long enough. Schulte had an amazing 1911, but it takes more than one Hall of Fame season to be a Hall of Fame player.
I agree with everything you wrote, and I retract nothing of what I wrote.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:

Cravath should be in

I see nothing spectacular about Fielder Jones. Nice player. Nothing special.
Old 09-07-2016, 02:13 PM

Quote:
I agree with everything you wrote, and I retract nothing of what I wrote.
Who was Schulte as good as? He was no Sherry Magee. That's for sure.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:47 PM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
I see nothing spectacular about Fielder Jones. Nice player. Nothing special.
Player Manager of the "Hitless Wonders" I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm surprised that his name is never mentioned. Posted a 426-293 managerial record. Pretty good win%

Like Dinneen I'm for his interactions in baseball besides a player. Donie Bush?????

No love for him? Considered one of the top fielding SS's in baseball in his day over 1,800 hits.

A Manager
A Owner
A Scout
An Executive

You can't get more versatile than that can you?
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

T3, T201, T202, T204, T205, T206, T207, 1914 CJ, 1915 CJ, Topps 1952-1979, and more!!!!

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-07-2016, 04:29 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Jimmy Sheckard? .270 career batting average with just over 2,000 hits in 17 years? Really? You were the guys busting my balls about Ed Reulbach, better re-group.....I dont get this choice at all.....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 09-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Player Manager of the "Hitless Wonders" I know it's a bit of a stretch but I'm surprised that his name is never mentioned. Posted a 426-293 managerial record. Pretty good win%

Like Dinneen I'm for his interactions in baseball besides a player. Donie Bush?????

No love for him? Considered one of the top fielding SS's in baseball in his day over 1,800 hits.

A Manager
A Owner
A Scout
An Executive

You can't get more versatile than that can you?
Lots of managers with more wins and more championships aren't in.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:16 PM

So, going back to the first page of the thread, many have been listed from the T206 set potentially being HOF worthy. I'm going to split this up in different categories. These are only my opinions.

Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dahlen - One of the best players not in the Hall of Fame from any era at any position. The VC really messed up in December. Was terrific offensively and defensively and helped his teams win four pennants in his career. His 44 game hitting streak is second only to Joe DiMaggio among right handed batters. Nobody in history played more games at the time he retired and his longevity still holds today.

Sherry Magee - 4x RBI champ, hit very well in all of those seasons. Metrics rank him well and it can be argued he's better than many leftfielders already in. He could do it all and has been erroneously overlooked.

Larry Doyle - The best second baseman in the National League during his time. He was also the best position player on the Giants during their winning of multiple pennants. One came during an MVP season in 1912 and would probably be a World Champion had it not been for Snodgrass' Muff. Just as how Sherry Magee is arguably a top 15 leftfielder ever, I think Doyle could be top 15 all time at second.

Gavvy Cravath - I get the argument against him, but he absolutely dominated during his short peak.

Bill Dinneen - As a pitcher alone he is not a Hall of Famer, but when you combine his pitching career with his umpiring career, it's hard to justify his exclusion.

Could go either way

Jimmy Sheckard - He wasn't that bad of a player and worth doing more research on. No way should he get in before Sherry Magee, but a future induction would hardly taint Cooperstown.

Not Hall of Fame worthy

Deacon Philippe - I changed my mind here
I think Reulbach was better and I wouldn't put Reulbach in. Out of those Pirate teams, only Babe Adams deserves it and he's not in the set.

Ed Reulbach - Just falls short for me.

George Mullin - Would challenge Rube Marquard for the title of the worst pitcher inducted.

Fielder Jones - Nothing stands out.

Wildfire Schulte - If one season made you a Hall of Famer, he'd have been one of the earliest inductees of an overcrowded Hall.

Chief Meyers - Good, just below ten seasons, however.

Tommy Leach - You could pretty much categorize him in the Hall of Mistakes that the Frisch Committee monopolized. Though Cuyler could stay in my personal Hall.

Johnny Kling - He could be the worst catcher in the HOF and would be one of the worst players at any position.

Hal Chase and Ed Konetchy - I would just focus on modern era first basemen, with Konetchy probably being closer to deserving.

George Gibson and Jimmy Archer - You know have no business being worthy of Hall discussion when Johnny Kling looks good by comparison.

Again, these are only my opinions. I thought I'd respond to a majority of the names listed here.

Last edited by Topps206; 09-07-2016 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:58 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
So, going back to the first page of the thread, many have been listed from the T206 set potentially being HOF worthy. I'm going to split this up in different categories. These are only my opinions.

Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dahlen - One of the best players not in the Hall of Fame from any era at any position. The VC really messed up in December. Was terrific offensively and defensively and helped his teams win four pennants in his career. His 44 game hitting streak is second only to Joe DiMaggio among right handed batters. Nobody in history played more games at the time he retired and his longevity still holds today.

Sherry Magee - 4x RBI champ, hit very well in all of those seasons. Metrics rank him well and it can be argued he's better than many leftfielders already in. He could do it all and has been erroneously overlooked.

Larry Doyle - The best second baseman in the National League during his time. He was also the best position player on the Giants during their winning of multiple pennants. One came during an MVP season in 1912 and would probably be a World Champion had it not been for Snodgrass' Muff. Just as how Sherry Magee is arguably a top 15 leftfielder ever, I think Doyle could be top 15 all time at second.

Gavvy Cravath - I get the argument against him, but he absolutely dominated during his short peak.

Bill Dineen - As a pitcher alone he is not a Hall of Famer, but when you combine his pitching career with his umpiring career, it's hard to justify his exclusion.

Could go either way

Jimmy Sheckard - He wasn't that bad of a player and worth doing more research on. No way should he get in before Sherry Magee, but a future induction would hardly taint Cooperstown.

Not Hall of Fame worthy

I think Reulbach was better and I wouldn't put Reulbach in. Out of those Pirate teams, only Babe Adams deserves it and he's not in the set.

George Mullin - Would challenge Rube Marquard for the title of the worst pitcher inducted.

Wildfire Schulte - If one season made you a Hall of Famer, he'd have been one of the earliest inductees of an overcrowded Hall.

Tommy Leach - You could pretty much categorize him in the Hall of Mistakes that the Frisch Committee monopolized. Though Cuyler could stay in my personal Hall.

Johnny Kling - He could be the worst catcher in the HOF and would be one of the worst players at any position.

Hal Chase and Ed Konetchy - I would just focus on modern era first basemen, with Konetchy probably being closer to deserving.

George Gibson and Jimmy Archer - You know have no business being worthy of Hall discussion when Johnny Kling looks good by comparison.

Again, these are only my opinions. I thought I'd respond to a majority of the names listed here.
I dont know you're name, but what is the argument for Sheckard? Please, because I'm clueless.....Also, Chase????

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 09-07-2016 at 06:59 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMIZ5290 View Post
I dont know you're name, but what is the argument for Sheckard? Please, because I'm clueless.....Also, Chase????
Nice WAR

121 OPS+

Not the worst batting average or OBP in the world.

One of the better leftfielders not in

Fast indivual and a key part of the Cubs title wins

Hall of Merit

Someone many pages back name dropped Chase.

Last edited by Topps206; 09-07-2016 at 07:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:04 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dineen - As a pitcher alone he is not a Hall of Famer, but when you combine his pitching career with his umpiring career, it's hard to justify his exclusion.

Could go either way

Not Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dinneen.....170-177....What the Hell have you been smoking?????? Also, a 3.10 ERA in that ERA is very high....

Last edited by CMIZ5290; 09-07-2016 at 07:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Bill Dinneen.....170-177....What the Hell have you been smoking?????? Also, a 3.10 ERA in that ERA is very high....
Like I said, he is not worthy as a pitcher. He is worthy as an umpire/contributor.

Last edited by Topps206; 09-07-2016 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:08 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Bill Dinneen.....170-177....What the Hell have you been smoking??????
He was also a highly respected ump...but I think Jim Kaat and Tommy John are both considerably more deserving.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbcard1 View Post
He was also a highly respected ump...but I think Jim Kaat and Tommy John are both considerably more deserving.
I am fine with all three.
Old 09-07-2016, 07:09 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Like I said, he is not worthy as a pitcher. He is worthy as an umpire/contributor.
No offense pal, but you are clueless.....
Old 09-07-2016, 07:11 PM

Quote:
No offense pal, but you are clueless.....
Why is that? Are you not aware of his umpiring accomplishments?
Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Why is that? Are you not aware of his umpiring accomplishments?
Just curious, how do you rate Roberto Clemente??
Old 09-07-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Just curious, how do you rate Roberto Clemente??
A worthy Hall of Famer and legend. Why? I think we can all agree Clemente deserves his place.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:17 AM

Bill Dineen umpired 8 World Series and was behind the plate for the original All Star game. His 8 World Series is a mark held by him and Tommy Connolly, a HOFer. So what makes him not a HOF umpire?
Old 09-08-2016, 07:38 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:

Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dinneen - As a pitcher alone he is not a Hall of Famer, but when you combine his pitching career with his umpiring career, it's hard to justify his exclusion.

Could go either way

Not Hall of Fame worthy

\

I like your format and I'll use the same but switch it up to my picks. I'm a little more lenient.

Hall of Fame worthy

Bill Dahlen
Sherry Magee
Larry Doyle
Gavvy Cravath
Bill Dinneen
Ed Reulbach
Chase
Konetchy --- C'mon guys
Deacon Philippe - 1903 WS??? And look at the huge W-L gap decent ERA for his era as well
Donie Bush - too much good for this guy, not talked about enough IMO

Could go either way

Jimmy Sheckard
Tommy Leach - I like Leach a lot but his .269 average is what holds him back big time.
Chief Meyers
Kling

Not Hall of Fame worthy

George Mullin
Fielder Jones
Wildfire Schulte
George Gibson
Jimmy Archer -
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-08-2016, 07:50 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:

Worth mentioning that at that time, a player could only win the MVP once.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:54 AM
Owen R

Dinneen is 100% a HOFer:

-40 Years of contributions to baseball
-A no-hitter
-4 20-win seasons
-Led the league in saves twice.
-For many seasons he was at the top of his league for WAR and ERA.
-He basically won the World Series for the Americans (1903)
-In the 03 Series he won three games and pitched 11 strikeouts in game 2.
-28 strikeouts overall in the series, and two shutouts
-pitched 37 consecutive complete games earning the record for the most consecutive innings without being relieved (337 consecutive)
-As said above 8 WS Umpired, and 5 No-no's
-Umpired a ton of games (more than O'Day, Conlan and Chylak)
-6th for career games a HP Ump
-I could have made this list twice as long

Also +1 on Donie Bush for the HOF. Fun Fact: He discovered Pee Wee Reese as a scout (one of his lesser known accomplishments)

-Owen
Old 09-08-2016, 08:11 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaidonCollects View Post
Dinneen is 100% a HOFer:

-40 Years of contributions to baseball
-A no-hitter
-4 20-win seasons
-Led the league in saves twice.
-For many seasons he was at the top of his league for WAR and ERA.
-He basically won the World Series for the Americans (1903)
-In the 03 Series he won three games and pitched 11 strikeouts in game 2.
-28 strikeouts overall in the series, and two shutouts
-pitched 37 consecutive complete games earning the record for the most consecutive innings without being relieved (337 consecutive)
-As said above 8 WS Umpired, and 5 No-no's
-Umpired a ton of games (more than O'Day, Conlan and Chylak)
-6th for career games a HP Ump
-I could have made this list twice as long

Also +1 on Donie Bush for the HOF. Fun Fact: He discovered Pee Wee Reese as a scout (one of his lesser known accomplishments)

-Owen
I've been waiting for you to contribute on Dinneen Owen
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-08-2016, 08:15 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:

And Bob Johnson...

Tom C
Old 09-08-2016, 09:00 AM
J0$H B^ck!ey

Quote:

I like Latham. He's an interesting and good choice and is certainly in the category worth mentioning as the others.

Not so sure about Orval.
22/39 Unique Backs 56%
80/86 Minors 93%

237PSA / 94 SGC / 98 RAW

Checklists sold (20)

T205 8/208 3.8%
Old 09-08-2016, 09:28 AM
T0dd M@rcum

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcarfagno View Post
And Bob Johnson...

Tom C
If Indian Bob Johnson were playing today would he be called Native American Bob Johnson?
Old 09-08-2016, 09:44 AM

I feel like I'm in the middle here on this topic. There are some players not in the Hall from the set I think should be in. Some standards are too stingy. Others advocate for terrible choices, in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2016, 10:07 AM

Quote:
I like Latham. He's an interesting and good choice and is certainly in the category worth mentioning as the others.

Not so sure about Orval.
Imagine putting Vince Coleman in the Hall of Fame. That basically sums up Latham.
Old 09-08-2016, 03:41 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

Hall of Fame worthy

Could go either way

Not Hall of Fame worthy

I gotta say, the only one on your list I think deserves it as a player is Dahlen. (I get the Dinneen argument for total contribution to the game tho)
Old 09-08-2016, 03:46 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:
I feel like I'm in the middle here on this topic. There are some players not in the Hall from the set I think should be in. Some standards are too stingy. Others advocate for terrible choices, in my opinion.
you rang???

as far as the Clemente question you were posed earlier, that dude has a hard time understanding that when you say a player is better at defense than another player (like say Andruw Jones over Clemente) you aren't saying that the former was a better all around player than the latter, just that they were better at defense. He got all bent out of shape over this, for some reason.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:21 PM

I ssw Doc White here earlier. I see nothing too special. He had a couple nice seasons but a typical deadball player, really.
Old 09-08-2016, 11:44 PM
ThreadKiller

Quote:
How does this forum feel about Jimmy Sheckard and Cooperstown?
NO Gil Hodges??? NO Dale Murphy? NO Keith Hernandez? NO (insert many far-more-deserving names here, but...)

p.s. I know none of the above are T206, but, just for the sake of argument...sorry, just not feelin' it for Sheckard - UNLESS I was sittin' on a binder full of T206 Sheckard (there's exceptions to every "accepted" rule, ya know???)

JMO

DS

Last edited by FourStrikes; 09-08-2016 at 11:48 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourStrikes View Post
NO Gil Hodges??? NO Dale Murphy? NO Keith Hernandez? NO (insert many far-more-deserving names here, but...)

p.s. I know none of the above are T206, but, just for the sake of argument...sorry, just not feelin' it for Sheckard - UNLESS I was sittin' on a binder full of T206 Sheckard (there's exceptions to every "accepted" rule, ya know???)

JMO

DS
The only one you just mentioned who would get my support for Cooperstown is Hernandez.

Honestly before I started collecting the Monster many of these players I never heard of. I knew the big names like Wagner, Cobb, Plank, Mathewson, Johnson, basically all the Hall of Famers. I also knew of the likes of Dahlen, Magee, Cravath. I couldn't tell you anything about them, but I knew the name. I had no clue who Larry Doyle or Jimmy Sheckard were. This set taught me them and also I learned they were fantastic players.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 AM
T0dd M@rcum

there are lots of problems with the hall of fame, but that's what makes in interesting. If you use the worst player in the hall of fame as the litmus test for who belongs, pretty much everyone north of David Eckstien has an argument. making it more complex, winning 220 games in the 1980s is very different than willing 220 games in 1910 and will be exceedingly different than winning 220 games in 2020, just as hitting 500 homers in the 1930s or 40s is different than doing it in the 1990s. Plus the argument are you ranking players for their longevity or their pinnacle? That's what makes it a good argument.
Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 AM

How good were they during their pimnacle? How long enough did they play? What position were they?

These are all questions to ask, too.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:11 AM

I think the true test should be: was this person one of the three best players at their position during their career? If the answer is yes, then I don't see how that person isn't a HOFer. In the case of Larry Doyle, he was unquestionably the best second baseman of his time. So how is he not a HOFer?

Pitchers would be a different story because at any given time there could be an infinite amount of top pitchers. I wouldn't use the top three as an indicator for them.

Last edited by packs; 09-09-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I think the true test should be: was this person one of the three best players at their position during their career? If the answer is yes, then I don't see how that person isn't a HOFer. In the case of Larry Doyle, he was unquestionably the best second baseman of his time. So how is he not a HOFer?

Pitchers would be a different story because at any given time there could be an infinite amount of top pitchers. I wouldn't use the top three as an indicator for them.
I'd say Doyle was third behind only Collins and Lajoie. In that case, it'd be tough to outdo either of them, but still the best N.L. second baseman in his career.

Also, of the T206 shortstops, I rate Dahlen third behind only Wagner and Davis.

Last edited by Topps206; 09-09-2016 at 10:53 AM.
Old 09-09-2016, 03:02 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:

JMO

DS
+1 on Sheckard big time....
Old 09-09-2016, 04:40 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

JMO

DS
Dale Murphy was my favorite player growing up, but sadly his career took too much of a nose dive due to injuries to be a HOF'er. Hall of very good yes, but doesn't measure up to the HOF standard.
Old 09-09-2016, 04:48 PM
Nick Barnes

Quote:

I don't like this argument. What constitutes an era? If we just look at who the top 3 at any given position are without comparing them to the rest of history at said position we are just going to weaken the HOF more than it is already.

Was the player in the top 10-15 all time at their position?

If not were they in the top 10 in the game at any position during their career?

Does that players stats paint a picture of an all time great? Or just a good player who played a position that had poor depth league wide at the time?
Old 09-09-2016, 05:54 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Please end this thread....3 months is long enough....
Old 09-09-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
I don't like this argument. What constitutes an era? If we just look at who the top 3 at any given position are without comparing them to the rest of history at said position we are just going to weaken the HOF more than it is already.

Was the player in the top 10-15 all time at their position?

If not were they in the top 10 in the game at any position during their career?

Does that players stats paint a picture of an all time great? Or just a good player who played a position that had poor depth league wide at the time?
Some of the players you say no to I think pass your litmus test.